Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › How do you guys buy your music?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How do you guys buy your music?

post #1 of 47
Thread Starter 

I'm just curious. Do you buy digital? If so, from where?

CDs? Used or new? Where, online or at a store?

Vinyl? New or used? Online, or at a store or local record shop?

 

Me, I buy a lot of digital stuff on bandcamp.com , a great place for indie artists. They have FLAC too! biggrin.gif

For CDs, I download and listen with my Zune Pass and if I like it I buy them on Amazon, and I've bought a CD from eBay with good results (ripped well, but it had a Bonus DVD with one of those flip trays inside the jewel case and the teeth on the other side are messed up so the disc falls out easily, but whatever it's fine if I don't mess with it; everything else A-OK)

For vinyl, I buy some new vinyl on Amazon, sometimes random used records from a local record shop. A local artist I've come to be friends with personally sold me a big bin of records he had to sell for space, so with having to clean them that's gonna keep me busy for a long, long time.

 

Happy listening! :)

post #2 of 47

If its something mainstream I just use iTunes.  I'm at the stage where I no longer have an interest in owning CDs buy will support other dead formats - either vinyl or cassette.  Typically I get them directly from the label.  I think band camp has helped get a lot of new music into my brain - soundcloud as well - although bandcamp truly is better for downloading full albums.

post #3 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by julialadense View Post

If its something mainstream I just use iTunes.  I'm at the stage where I no longer have an interest in owning CDs buy will support other dead formats - either vinyl or cassette.  Typically I get them directly from the label.  I think band camp has helped get a lot of new music into my brain - soundcloud as well - although bandcamp truly is better for downloading full albums.

Yeah, bandcamp is great. I like having a physical copy of the music, whether it be vinyl or CD. I also like being able to get the lossless out of the CD, which is a lot better than iTunes. If it's available on vinyl (for a reasonable price), I buy it on vinyl, if not that then CD, if not that then it's from bandcamp.

 

If it ever comes to the point where something isn't available in lossless by digital and is digital only, I'll buy it from Zune, which does 320 MP3 I believe. They give 10 song downloads a month, but I never use them, I'm probably wasting my money doing so but alas I prefer to buy things by album, and if it were one album download per month, regardless of the number of tracks (since the price would still probably be only $10 anyway, same as the 10 downloads worth 99c each) then I might find some more use in it.

post #4 of 47

iTunes, Cd's, and sometimes Hi res tracks from HDtracks. 

 

Bandcamp sounds interesting, i'll give it a try. 

post #5 of 47

I still buy two or three CD’s most weeks but they are ripped to FLAC within minuets of arrival and stored on my server to be fed

to either my Squeezeboxes or Cowon D2/J3.

 

I won’t pay for a download that’s not lossless so iTunes is out but I do regularly buy FLAC’s from Bandcamp; I bought one album

and two singles last week for example.


Edited by C4rl - 9/4/12 at 3:30am
post #6 of 47

I buy discs from Amazon, Ebay and local shops.  

post #7 of 47

Most of my cd purchase have been made on Ebay recently, some cds and vinyl I purchase at my local shops. It all depends where I can find what I'm looking for and the price.

post #8 of 47

Budget bins at B&N and Best Buy is where I get most of my CDs. Tons of good stuff there (Bought 16 CDs at $5 each at Best Buy yesterday in fact). As long as you know what you've looking for master wise (or have a smartphone) you can get some really great stuff. 

 

Other than that...used vinyl from Half Price Books, and then Bandcamp + Beatport for digital stuff.

post #9 of 47

Most of the stuff with CD's. And digitally from Itunes. In the digital format I usually buy from artists that have one or two songs that i like.

post #10 of 47

CDs- From local stores, used from opshops and stores, online from Amazon, and my favoured method is from the bands themselves, through their own websites, or through the label website (for smaller labels)
digital- I refuse to pay for digital copies of music, I do use bandcamp and soundcloud for legitimate free downloads, but I don't buy music this way, and I don't do illegal downloads either.
vinyl- I'm too poor to get into Lps, so I don't have any..

post #11 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasantNoise View Post

CDs- From local stores, used from opshops and stores, online from Amazon, and my favoured method is from the bands themselves, through their own websites, or through the label website (for smaller labels)
digital- I refuse to pay for digital copies of music, I do use bandcamp and soundcloud for legitimate free downloads, but I don't buy music this way, and I don't do illegal downloads either.
vinyl- I'm too poor to get into Lps, so I don't have any..

Why?

post #12 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor991 View Post

Why?


 For the same reasons that I would pay for a painting, or a print. But I wouldn't pay to download an image off the internet. Just doesn't seem right.
Like I'm paying for something I'm not actually getting. (Even if I am) I feel there's this kind of barrier between digital and physical things, and that's a barrier that I don't want to pay for and end up trapped behind. So I'm happy just buying cds.
Also buying digital kind of takes away from the experience of buying music, it lacks that 'I just bought something cool' feeling, and there's nothing to touch, or enjoy in that sense.
That's one of the things that draws me to vinyl is that sense of buying something interesting, but I can't justify it. Cd feels like an inbetween medium from vinyl and digital. and that's what I'm good with right now.

post #13 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasantNoise View Post


 For the same reasons that I would pay for a painting, or a print. But I wouldn't pay to download an image off the internet. Just doesn't seem right.

Like I'm paying for something I'm not actually getting. (Even if I am) I feel there's this kind of barrier between digital and physical things, and that's a barrier that I don't want to pay for and end up trapped behind. So I'm happy just buying cds.

Also buying digital kind of takes away from the experience of buying music, it lacks that 'I just bought something cool' feeling, and there's nothing to touch, or enjoy in that sense.

That's one of the things that draws me to vinyl is that sense of buying something interesting, but I can't justify it. Cd feels like an inbetween medium from vinyl and digital. and that's what I'm good with right now.

I agree with this. Although when Amazon hands out free mp3 downloads, I do use them. redface.gif

Regarding the bulk of my music, I used to have a nice local record shop, but I moved (I think it's still open though, so that's good!). So now I just use Amazon to buy CDs and then rip them so I can take music with me or have it on my PC (where I do most of my listening). I keep the physical CDs in their cases next to my stereo system, and it's CD player (and most of them are in near pristine condition). smily_headphones1.gif
post #14 of 47
Haven't paid for a single song ever in my life. I'll start paying for everything when I graduate and get a stable job redface.gif
post #15 of 47
If I hear something I like, I generally acquire the music in this order.
 
A) Look up the artist's website or bandcamp, see if I can buy the album in FLAC. If not...
B) Get the CD via Amazon Marketplace or eBay and rip it.
C) If I can't get the CD easily (out of stock, or over $30), I'll resort to buying the mp3 from Amazon.
 
I buy maybe 10 albums a month. 30% thru A, 60% thru B, 10% thru C.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › How do you guys buy your music?