Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon D7000 & D7100
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Denon D7000 & D7100

post #1 of 46
Thread Starter 

Hi guys, what's difference of these two, which one should I buy? I listen to classic music only. Thanks!

post #2 of 46

Don't touch the new Denon line unless you have to.

post #3 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by cufei View Post

Hi guys, what's difference of these two, which one should I buy? I listen to classic music only. Thanks!

The D7000s are fun headphones, but not the greatest with classical IMO. They are discontinued and if your pair has issues, Denon won't fix them (just would refund you if your still in the warranty period). The D7100s look like a major fail.

post #4 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

The D7000s are fun headphones, but not the greatest with classical IMO. They are discontinued and if your pair has issues, Denon won't fix them (just would refund you if your still in the warranty period). The D7100s look like a major fail.

The D7100s are not worth $1200. 

post #5 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestryGleason View Post

The D7100s are not worth $1200. 

 

Why?

post #6 of 46

Wow, there are so many great choices for classical. This is for home use only I assume.  What kind of budget are you working with? Do you already have an amp/dac?

post #7 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by yklee118 View Post

 

Why?


Because they measure horribly (much worse than the previous models) and according to many recent comments they are reminiscent of "fart cannons" on steroids. If you are looking for the worlds most expensive Whooppie Cushion I think you've found it ;).

post #8 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


Because they measure horribly (much worse than the previous models) and according to many recent comments they are reminiscent of "fart cannons" on steroids. If you are looking for the worlds most expensive Whooppie Cushion I think you've found it ;).

 

Now that ^^ made me laugh!! Thanks...

post #9 of 46

AKG K7.. models, maybe Q7.. as well. I am looking for Q right now, also for classical and jazz at most. They need an meatier amp to shine, thats what I read all the time.

post #10 of 46

Outside of measurements, how does the D7100 actually sound?  Does it have a slight V-shape frequency response?  Does it compare to similar priced dynamics in terms of technical ability?  What is so undesirable about it sonically?

post #11 of 46

Got to hear the D7100s today. Just some quick impressions. 

 

Construction:

 

These headphones are H-U-G-E. I've got a large noggin, but I could easily put these on my head at almost the minimum setting. Something I've never been able to do with headphones before. 

 

Wow, there's a lot of plastic on these things....like a lot and it doesn't feel as sturdy or well conceived as the HD800s. Comfort wise, they are quite good and they isolate MUCH better than the D7000s (which IMO were basically "open" headphones due to their complete lack of isolation).

 

Now onto how they sound:

 

First impressions:

 blink.gif

 

Follow-up Impressions:

 

WTH happened? The D7000s were a lush and luxurious sounding headphones. Sure the treble was spikey and not overly refined, but these were all over the place. The bass was tamer, but a bit "one note" bass without the same impact, but yet flabby. The mids still recessed like the D7000s and the treble was most troublesome to my ears. Siblance on many of my favourite recordings that I'm not used to hearing it (even with my HD800s). I was able to hear the D7000 immediately after these and I preferred the older model by a good margin. Makes me very happy to own the W3000ANVs.

post #12 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

Got to hear the D7100s today. Just some quick impressions. 

 

Construction:

 

These headphones are H-U-G-E. I've got a large noggin, but I could easily put these on my head at almost the minimum setting. Something I've never been able to do with headphones before. 

 

Wow, there's a lot of plastic on these things....like a lot and it doesn't feel as sturdy or well conceived as the HD800s. Comfort wise, they are quite good and they isolate MUCH better than the D7000s (which IMO were basically "open" headphones due to their complete lack of isolation).

 

Now onto how they sound:

 

First impressions:

 blink.gif

 

Follow-up Impressions:

 

WTH happened? The D7000s were a lush and luxurious sounding headphones. Sure the treble was spikey and not overly refined, but these were all over the place. The bass was tamer, but a bit "one note" bass without the same impact, but yet flabby. The mids still recessed like the D7000s and the treble was most troublesome to my ears. Siblance on many of my favourite recordings that I'm not used to hearing it (even with my HD800s). I was able to hear the D7000 immediately after these and I preferred the older model by a good margin. Makes me very happy to own the W3000ANVs.

+1

I was lucky to hear the demo D7100's when they were first released in late July/early Aug in Fujiya. Comfort-wise, I'd probably say its one of the most comfortable headphones I've worn. And it even isolated well. I don't mind the plastic stuff as that doesn't bother me. SQ-wise, they didn't impress me at all (but I was giving the benefit of the doubt that they were so new they had no burn-in). 2 months later, the demo's are well burnt-in & still sound rather disappointing.

It's a pity that the comfort & isolation actually allows you to focus on their imperfections so much more. The D7100s sound best when they're unplugged.
post #13 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post


+1
I was lucky to hear the demo D7100's when they were first released in late July/early Aug in Fujiya. Comfort-wise, I'd probably say its one of the most comfortable headphones I've worn. And it even isolated well. I don't mind the plastic stuff as that doesn't bother me. SQ-wise, they didn't impress me at all (but I was giving the benefit of the doubt that they were so new they had no burn-in). 2 months later, the demo's are well burnt-in & still sound rather disappointing.
It's a pity that the comfort & isolation actually allows you to focus on their imperfections so much more. The D7100s sound best when they're unplugged.

You were unlucky to hear the demo D7100's

post #14 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCare View Post

You were unlucky to hear the demo D7100's
I wouldn't blame the fact they were demo's. These were fresh ones pulled out of the box & hung on the shelves. Tried 2xdemo's in 2 different shops separated over a few weeks. Still sounded the same :-(..
post #15 of 46

So, the new Denons are underwhelming huh? What the hell happened?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Denon D7000 & D7100