Good comparison - I'm wondering if a J3 would to justice to the 90s, or if the 4Ai would be better-suited.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandHeir Audiotagged by System, 9/19/12
- productHeir Audio 3.Atagged by System, 9/19/12
- productHeir Audio 3.Aitagged by System, 9/19/12
- productHeir Audio 4.Atagged by System, 9/19/12
- productHeir Audio 4.Aitagged by System, 9/19/12
- productHeir Audio 6.A custom IEMtagged by System, 9/19/12
- productHeir Audio 8.Atagged by System, 9/19/12
- productHeir Audio Magnus-1tagged by System, 9/19/12
Related Forum Threads
- The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread Last post on 6/24/13 at 3:09am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Custom IEM or Closed On Ear Last post on 8/17/12 at 6:46pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- ie80 or heir audio Last post on 8/17/12 at 8:13am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Dunu DN-1000 vs Heir Audio 3.Ai/4.Ai Last post on 12/3/13 at 6:09pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Most comfortable for lying on my side? Last post on 11/14/13 at 4:47pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 12/10/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: Today
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (In-Ear)Last edited: 12/10/13
Intro This was my first real pair of headphones, and they satisfied me for two years. So it is only fitting that my first headphone review be on these awesome headphones. The HD598s are a great...
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
This is a review of the Noble 8c, an eight drivers 4 ways ciems. You could check the specs on the noble web site. Please be kind in your critics, as this is my first review ever, and that English...
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
Heir Audio World Tour - Page 14post #196 of 2162/11/13 at 1:24am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #197 of 2162/11/13 at 7:19amQuote:
Wizard has a J3 I believe, maybe he can answer this. I'd think the 4.Ai would be better, just off the top of my head.post #198 of 2162/11/13 at 7:57amQuote:
I can vouch for the J3/4.Ai combo for sure... Great little DAP and great headphones. If you really want to go ultra-portable, the Clip+ drives them perfectly as well. (But they do scale nicely with my DX100, they just don't need it.)post #199 of 2162/11/13 at 10:16ampost #200 of 2162/11/13 at 12:34pmQuote:
I don't have a J3 but I'll be comparing them to the GR07 and Sony 7550 on the last stop of the US tour, which is next.post #201 of 2162/11/13 at 12:47pm
Can't speak for any other Heir products except the 4.A.. but in comparison to the GR07 MKII, the 4.A is more technically capable in most all areas. That being said, I preferred the GR07 MKII's signature & texturing ability.post #202 of 2162/11/13 at 1:44pm
Valentines Day heart.
Well anyway, I do not like the GR07 or the Tzar 90's.
I find that the Gr07 does a wonderful job of emulating higher end IEM's by being more neutral and clear.
So here we have the GR07 MK2 which is $150 and is more or less an universal IEM trying to emulate that style and feature. And that is basically what it does. It does it quite well, but it has many faults. It is more of trying to sound like an IEM that monitors music for sound engineer and not the other kind which gives you the live concert sound. And that is largely it.
So by that ranking, it would be a good IEM. IT is easy to see how it got a sonic diamond from CLIEOS. It emulates studio monitor reproduction with a dynamic driver at $150/
However, for musical listening, I loathe it. It is not a fun IEM.
And here I will say one thing. Some people now adays are equipment philes and not music philes. I don't need an IEM that is what the creator made his music sound like. The artists I listen to generally don't know the first step in good audio. So I would rather have a fun and forgiving IEM than a neutral one.
But, the 4ai is done extremely well where although it is much more clear, it will still allow for musical enjoyability.
I'll do more testing on Tzar 90.post #203 of 2162/13/13 at 7:40am
How does the Tzar 90 compare to the 3.ai and 4.ai?
Is it safe to say that it falls between them with more bass impact than the 4.ai, and less recessed mids than the 3.ai and smoother highs, but not quite as smooth as the 4.ai?post #204 of 2162/13/13 at 7:42amQuote:
Perhaps you missed Project86's excellent review a page or two back - Check it out, lots of good info there:post #205 of 2162/14/13 at 11:55amQuote:Originally Posted by thegrobe
Perhaps you missed Project86's excellent review a page or two back - Check it out, lots of good info there:
Ah nice. So it falls somewhere between the two :)
That's good to hear.
I've been having so much trouble picking between the 3.ai and 4.ai, that perhaps the Tzar 90 would be an awesome compromise... That, or I need to just get the 4.ai and apply a slight bass boost. :P
I wonder if the Tzar 90 is more like the 8.a in that it has the smoother highs, but still carries some bass, while putting accuracy forward.
I also wonder what amps would go well with it? :)post #206 of 2162/14/13 at 12:52pmpost #207 of 2162/14/13 at 7:11pmpost #208 of 2162/15/13 at 2:08amThread Starter
Hm, none of the Tour participants are in Canada. Ironic, since Heir Audio is the subsidiary of a Canadian company. Maybe there are places in Canada where demos can be found, but if so, I don't know where.post #209 of 2162/15/13 at 4:51amQuote:
I've been intending to send my Tzar 350's on a small tour within Canada, I might even do the 4.Ai if there's interest, but because these are my own personal pairs I would only be comfortable sending them to established members with good feedback who I feel I can trust and the time frame for auditions would shorter.post #210 of 2162/15/13 at 9:26amQuote:Originally Posted by elnero
I've been intending to send my Tzar 350's on a small tour within Canada, I might even do the 4.Ai if there's interest, but because these are my own personal pairs I would only be comfortable sending them to established members with good feedback who I feel I can trust and the time frame for auditions would shorter.
There is a dealer in toronto i think he is in headfi, his a nice guy headfoneshop.com other than him i dont anyone and i think will be having a meet up here in toronto but there's no exact date yetReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Heir Audio World Tour
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM 29 seconds ago
- › What happens if you connect two DAC's in series? 1 minute ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Updated 9/2/2013: Sony... 2 minutes ago
- › digiZoid ZO2.3 Impression & Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors) 3 minutes ago
- › FS/FT: Sennheiser HD-800 w/ Headphone Lounge Octa-Conductor OCC... 4 minutes ago
- › Westone W4R + 75 Ohm impedance adapter 4 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 5 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 5 minutes ago
- › Do i really need to burn in my headphones? 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by SocialCapital