Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › JVC HA-FX40 | Believe the hype!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JVC HA-FX40 | Believe the hype! - Page 11

post #151 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelloWatic View Post


I said that earlier. The mids are recessed, and vocals are not right, even with deep burn in time.
post #152 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEMagnet01 View Post


I said that earlier. The mids are recessed, and vocals are not right, even with deep burn in time.

I'm sorry if my previous post's phrasing sounded like I ignored your earlier posts.

 

Yup, you are one of the few who mentioned the weak mids.

 

And when I quoted you on how long you burned-in the fx40, I was actually borrowing your experience to share with the others how burning in wouldn't really improve the mids.

 

I agree with your opinions on the fx40:wink_face:.


Edited by MelloWatic - 12/22/13 at 7:14am
post #153 of 185
For those who think its too bright. I agree burning in doesnt solve every problem alone. But dont give up just yet!

Try using Sony Hybrid tips, with a little shallow insertion. The tip has a smaller bore. You will hear male vocal is better, more forward and not favorising only the top end. The bass tightens up and slams even better. Great for faster music.
Its still a V shaped earphone, so dont expect the mids to compete with earphones in that category and be something its not.
post #154 of 185

Hello gentlemen.

 

I wonder is this is still a good thing to buy, especially considering they're like $30 now.

 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=HAFX40&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AHAFX40

 

Do you have any other recommendations to consider?

 

Thanks.

post #155 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwnzored View Post
 

Hello gentlemen.

 

I wonder is this is still a good thing to buy, especially considering they're like $30 now.

 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=HAFX40&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AHAFX40

 

Do you have any other recommendations to consider?

 

Thanks.

Nope. There are just as good, if not better options out there for the same price, without having to burn them in for weeks, pick 100 different tips, and still never quite get over the carbon nanotube treble "smack". 

post #156 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEMagnet01 View Post
 

Nope. There are just as good, if not better options out there for the same price, without having to burn them in for weeks, pick 100 different tips, and still never quite get over the carbon nanotube treble "smack". 

While I'm thankful for your answer, I was hoping for some examples. :)

 

I read about the Philips SHE3580, but I don't know whether there are better options, since you say there are better options for these as well. Thanks.

post #157 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwnzored View Post
 

While I'm thankful for your answer, I was hoping for some examples. :)

 

I read about the Philips SHE3580, but I don't know whether there are better options, since you say there are better options for these as well. Thanks.

well the SHE3580 is a competely different dinosaur. The bass is less punchy than the FX40, and might not dig as deep in sub bass either, but the mids are not recessed like the 40, and the highs are much much smoother, though the timbre isn't as natural as the 40. Still, they don't require as much burn in, sound way better out the box, and are more forgiving of bad masters/low bit rate files. 

post #158 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEMagnet01 View Post
 

well the SHE3580 is a competely different dinosaur. The bass is less punchy than the FX40, and might not dig as deep in sub bass either, but the mids are not recessed like the 40, and the highs are much much smoother, though the timbre isn't as natural as the 40. Still, they don't require as much burn in, sound way better out the box, and are more forgiving of bad masters/low bit rate files. 

Thank you. Since you said there are better alternatives, can you name a few more so I can proceed to do an investigation?

 

By now I have these SONY MDR-EX10LP, which are in the same price range as the Philips, but these are horrible. They are even left-right disbalanced!

post #159 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwnzored View Post
 

Thank you. Since you said there are better alternatives, can you name a few more so I can proceed to do an investigation?

 

By now I have these SONY MDR-EX10LP, which are in the same price range as the Philips, but these are horrible. They are even left-right disbalanced!


the sennheiser cx200 has a punchy bass but not overpowering with quite clear mids and vocals. good all-rounder for around 30,

 

even better if you can find it around $15 on sale. if not, still a good buy. they sound quite similar except the cx200 has audible bass.

 

i do advise you to be careful though, since senn's apparently have bad strain relief (take real good care of em!)

 

the right earphone on my pair shorted out in 6 months. sending back for repair now.

post #160 of 185

The Xiaomi Piston 2.0 Gold

 

Best under $50 IEM there is...

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Design-Xiaomi-Piston-Earphones-Gold-Headset-3-buttons-wire-control-SG-POST-/181294614168?pt=Bluetooth_Wireless_Products&hash=item2a36004698

 

You won't regret it...ever. 

post #161 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEMagnet01 View Post
 

The Xiaomi Piston 2.0 Gold

 

Best under $50 IEM there is...

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Design-Xiaomi-Piston-Earphones-Gold-Headset-3-buttons-wire-control-SG-POST-/181294614168?pt=Bluetooth_Wireless_Products&hash=item2a36004698

 

You won't regret it...ever. 

 

 

I was just about to splash out on the fx40s but now I'm at a crossroad again.

 

Could you expand on the sound of the Pistons?


Edited by gamerich - 2/2/14 at 6:26am
post #162 of 185
Heed my warning and do not get these. They sound terrible. I read this thread believing the hype and now i've wasted 20 dollars frown.gif. Nasty trebley sound you cant get rid of unless you eq and the vocals are distorted
post #163 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by helllooooooo View Post

Heed my warning and do not get these. They sound terrible. I read this thread believing the hype and now i've wasted 20 dollars frown.gif. Nasty trebley sound you cant get rid of unless you eq and the vocals are distorted

 

 

What are the bit rate of your music files?

 

Did you get a nice seal with the eartips you used? The type of eartips you use will also affect the sound signature.

 

 

Two things are for sure though: 

 

1) The fx40's trebles are indeed brighter than most budget IEMs, and might be unbearable for some. 

 

2) The vocals are thin and unnatural.

 

 

Just like you, the above two factors are issues which I also have with the fx40. 

 

From my experience, the fx40 isn't really terrible sounding overall. For certain music they can sound quite clear and enjoyable.

 

Its sound signature however, is just not my cup of tea, and I'm guessing that is same with you.

post #164 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelloWatic View Post


What are the bit rate of your music files?

Did you get a nice seal with the eartips you used? The type of eartips you use will also affect the sound signature.


Two things are for sure though: 

1) The fx40's trebles are indeed brighter than most budget IEMs, and might be unbearable for some. 

2) The vocals are thin and unnatural.


Just like you, the above two factors are issues which I also have with the fx40. 

From my experience, the fx40 isn't really terrible sounding overall. For certain music they can sound quite clear and enjoyable.

Its sound signature however, is just not my cup of tea, and I'm guessing that is same with you.

320kbps only and i used the stock silicon ones at first but switched to foam which helped tone down the treble a bit. One thing to also note is that the bass is weak and doesnt pop out. It stays in the back.
post #165 of 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by helllooooooo View Post



320kbps only and i used the stock silicon ones at first but switched to foam which helped tone down the treble a bit. One thing to also note is that the bass is weak and doesnt pop out. It stays in the back.

I'm thinking you may have a defective set or aren't getting a good seal. You sound like you know your way around IEMs, so I'm leaning towards defective. What you are describing is not what I'm hearing.

That being said, they aren't for everyone. Even after burn in which tames the treble tremendously, they may be to aggressive. Someone earlier mentioned the Pistons. They have been getting great reviews. Here is a site to order them from. They are authorized so you won't get a fake. Some of the eBay ones have turned out to be fakes. And the are $21 on the site with free shipping.



www.ibuyguo.com
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › JVC HA-FX40 | Believe the hype!