Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › TDK IE800 Dual High-Performance Dynamic Micro-Drivers IEM
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

TDK IE800 Dual High-Performance Dynamic Micro-Drivers IEM - Page 9

post #121 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPICFAILXD View Post

Bought my pair just now and listening. First impressions are very very good, reminds me somewhat of a more open, refined and detailed FXT90. More impressions to come biggrin.gif

Yes, the crispness and crunch (particularly with electric guitars) remind me of the FXT90 a bit.
post #122 of 356

The large Senn double-flanges seems to be the magic to really bring out the best in the IE800 for my ears.

post #123 of 356
Enjoyed them, and they beat all others for comfort... but found them a little too bass light and treble happy. The Jays win for me! But that's just my canals.
post #124 of 356

After some effort I got the Jays onto the IE800, but I didn't get more bass with the Jays. As I stated, the double-flange allow me a deeper seal with lots of bass. All canals are different though. Happy listening.


Edited by ericp10 - 1/27/13 at 2:43pm
post #125 of 356
After a good chunk of hours on the ie800.. the treble's mellowed out sufficiently.. vocals sound terrific on this phone and the soundstage is excellent. I really love how classical instruments sounds, too.. hearing the draw of a bow across upright bass strings sounds very realistic. I've been playing a lot of downtempo, mellow hip hop, electric jazz, and modern soul with the ie800.. it's been nothing short of excellent.

A relatively deep fit is a must to get proper sound/fq balance, imo. The TDK house sound.. at least among these flagship line of phones.. is most certainly one of my faves.

Can't say with certainty that it's better than the ba200.. i'd say as good, perhaps slightly better.. but more different than anything. The ba200 is more forgiving of poorly recorded material & harsh treble since the ie800 has more energy in the upper mids/lower treble than the ba200. That energy is well tuned and articulate, though..

Definitely an excellent buy, imo!
post #126 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

After a good chunk of hours on the ie800.. the treble's mellowed out sufficiently.. vocals sound terrific on this phone and the soundstage is excellent. I really love how classical instruments sounds, too.. hearing the draw of a bow across upright bass strings sounds very realistic. I've been playing a lot of downtempo, mellow hip hop, electric jazz, and modern soul with the ie800.. it's been nothing short of excellent.

A relatively deep fit is a must to get proper sound/fq balance, imo. The TDK house sound.. at least among these flagship line of phones.. is most certainly one of my faves.

Can't say with certainty that it's better than the ba200.. i'd say as good, perhaps slightly better.. but more different than anything. The ba200 is more forgiving of poorly recorded material & harsh treble since the ie800 has more energy in the upper mids/lower treble than the ba200. That energy is well tuned and articulate, though..

Definitely an excellent buy, imo!

 

 

Not surprised you it, FlySweep. Like I've stated awhile back, this is what I hoped the RE262 would have sounded like all the way through.

post #127 of 356

A couple more random thoughts on these a month in...

 

The bass is what gets my attention most consistently. It's very tight and accurate but also has real umph. It brings out bass parts I hadn't heard before but never dominates the rest of the music. I can't imagine better bass. 

 

I mentioned they are source picky. I should add to that. They sound fine from the J3 but only at high volumes. On the other hand, they sound great from my thinkpad at all volumes. 

post #128 of 356

Would the Fiio e6 pair well with these?

post #129 of 356

Allite guys, I'm going to put a few more hours on it, just in case, but these things are fantastic! the bass is nice and tight, mids are wonderful, highs have a really crisp edge (not sibilant) and the soundstage is stunning. Electric guitars and vocals sound heavenly on these. Review coming soon xD

post #130 of 356
My pair should be here Thursday or Friday. The discussion on these sounds very promising. My only concern is mention of them sounding like the FXT90 which worries me a bit as I found that headphone so be a bit harsh and to grainy for my liking. Is it a case of these being sort of like that headphone but without it's issues?
post #131 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaver View Post

My pair should be here Thursday or Friday. The discussion on these sounds very promising. My only concern is mention of them sounding like the FXT90 which worries me a bit as I found that headphone so be a bit harsh and to grainy for my liking. Is it a case of these being sort of like that headphone but without it's issues?

 

 

My two cents: The IE800 doesn't remind me of the FXT90 in any way at all other than they're both dual-drivers earphones. 

post #132 of 356
Thanks Eric, I will wait patiently (NOT!!) until they arrive LOL.
post #133 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaver View Post

My pair should be here Thursday or Friday. The discussion on these sounds very promising. My only concern is mention of them sounding like the FXT90 which worries me a bit as I found that headphone so be a bit harsh and to grainy for my liking. Is it a case of these being sort of like that headphone but without it's issues?

The only similarity I can draw is the two phones having emphasized upper-mids, which gives great crunch to electric guitars. I can't draw any other similarities between other aspects of their signatures.

The IE800 has much tighter bass with no mid-bass hump, much airier / more transparent mids, highs that are far more refined and extend higher. Soundstage is also significantly wider, deeper and more open on the TDKs.

Don't get me wrong... I loved the FXT90s... I just heard the sig as more aggressive, in-your-face, more consumer orientated, and considerably less refined. The IE800s have a distinctive elegance that Eric10 quite rightly associates with the RE-262. Flysweep also uses the word "romantic", which is certainly not a word I'd use to describe the FXT90s, which in contrast, have a rougish charm.
post #134 of 356

+1 on what Nulliverse said.

 

Very roughly comparing.. the FXT90's mids had more in common with a typical Grado midrange presentation & texture to my ears (forward, aggressive, thicker).. while the BA200 & IE800 reminded me more of the Sennheiser HD6x0's midrange (smooth, laid back, airy, "romantic").

post #135 of 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

+1 on what Nulliverse said.

 

Very roughly comparing.. the FXT90's mids had more in common with a typical Grado midrange presentation & texture to my ears (forward, aggressive, thicker).. while the BA200 & IE800 reminded me more of the Sennheiser HD6x0's midrange (smooth, laid back, airy, "romantic").


That's what I expected, something smooth with a better sound as a replacement for the Impressed Editions, not for the FXT90s.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › TDK IE800 Dual High-Performance Dynamic Micro-Drivers IEM