Doc how would you compare the sound between the S400's and the Uptowns??
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/12
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/30/12
- productGrado SR60i Headphonestagged by System, 9/8/12
- productJVC HA-FX40-B Earphone - KV6902tagged by System, 9/14/12
- productJVC HAS400B Carbon Nanotube On-Ear Headband Headphones (Black)tagged by System, 10/26/12
- productJVC HAS400W Carbon Nanotube On-Ear Headband Headphones (White)tagged by System, 10/26/12
- productJVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black (Japanese Import)tagged by System, 9/3/12
- productKoss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphonestagged by System, 9/3/12
- productKoss PortaPro Headphones with Casetagged by System, 8/30/12
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/29/12More
- productSennheiser CX 200 In Ear Canal Ear budtagged by System, 9/3/12
- productShure SE215tagged by System, 8/29/12
- productShure SE535-V Earphonetagged by System, 8/29/12
- productUltimate Ears TripleFi 10 Noise Isolating Earphonestagged by System, 8/29/12
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- ATH-M50 achieved, time for good IEM's Last post on 8/8/11 at 11:47am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Please help me find a suitable around-ear headphone Last post on 2/12/14 at 2:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Portable Earphones Under £70 Last post on 12/15/13 at 8:01pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 8/29/14
I bought the TG334 at Fujiya Avic...thanks to AnakChan for the strong recommendation and for going out of the way to take me to Fujiya Avic. Out of the box, the TG334 sounds bass enhanced with the...
This is a review of Logitech/Ultimate Ears UE900s multi-driver in-ear monitors. http://www.ultimateears.com/en-us/900s The original UE900 was my first pair of hi-fi IEMs, the one which opened...
Brainwavz S5 Review: There are questions, and then there are questions that you get asked constantly. One of the most common requests of knowledge from me are on if unit X is better than unit...
I've received Concero HP from Ressonsense Labs for writing review in russian, but I want to share my thoughts with Head-Fi. As usual, I'll be somewhat brief, as I'm not so good in English, but I...
I’d like to thank John Seaber and the folks at JDS Labs for the C5D loaner unit. Accessories The C5D ships with a 1.5 foot USB mini-B cable, a set of four rubber stick-on feet and an...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
OVER-PERFORMING, OVER-ACHIEVING Headphones/IEMs for their price range. Top cost effective cans/IEMS - Page 13
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Since you can get the TDK BA200 for around $150 they are an amazing IEM and maybe my favorite IEM I've heard this year out of the 30 some odd I've listened to. I'm going to compare them to my friends W4 to see just how good of a universal IEM they are and what I remember from the last time I heard the W4 the BA200 will compete very well with them. If these don't qualify as an overachiever than nothing should.
Edited by Techno Kid - 11/16/12 at 7:03am
Yessir.... I would pick up a pair. Be warned about the cable. Its a bit weird but sound is impressive.
I couldn't tell you i don't have the 1001. Thats a good question id like to compare them.
I would say they are gunna be similar sounding with smoother highs than the s500 and similarly emphasized bass. Not fast and punchy but not slow either and loose either. The uptowns are gunna have more detail and slightly more space than the s400.
Believe it or not i never directly compared them to the s400. My s400 are with a husband and wife who are buddies of mine along with 5 other pairs of phones im letting them try. Let me reserve my official answer for when i get them back.
Edited by Doc-holliday - 11/14/12 at 9:51am
My list for sub $50
1. DUNU Trident
Great bass amount and punch for entry price, warm and quite balance sound. Pretty fun to listen to. around ＄40
2. Brainwavz M5
More analytical model than Trident SQ is great for the price range $46 probably. It's alternate choice of Trident
My over-achievers for <= $120: Sony XBA-3 iem. Awesome.
My over-achievers for <= $70: JVC S500 headphone. Awesome.
My over-achievers for under $30: KSC 75 headphone (on headband) and Sony MH1C iem. Both awesome!
Good question. I don't know because I have never tried the S400. But based on what I have read, if I had them I am pretty confident that they would be added to my "over-achievers for under $30" list.
Even though I have been smitten with my S500's, whenever I put on my KSC75's, I am always very impressed with the SQ. Not a huge soundstage, but a very nice, detailed and balanced sound with very nice mids. And yes, they are very light and comfortable on the ears. But if isolation is important, they have practically none.
One problem is finding the Parts Express headband for a good price. Actually, you can buy it for $1.95, but the shipping is where they will gouge you.
$7? That's not bad. I paid way more.
And here, I'll make the decision for you: get both!
Short answer?...... Sony, hands down.
- OVER-PERFORMING, OVER-ACHIEVING Headphones/IEMs for their price range. Top cost effective cans/IEMS
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Introducing the T10i, an all new IEM from RHA 48 seconds ago
- › Chord Hugo 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review 2 minutes ago
- › Damping Factor 3 minutes ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Dream Earz AUD 8x 8 drivers CIEM 5 minutes ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 7 minutes ago
- › New Kennerton ODIN (Planar Magnetic), MAGISTER, VALI... 8 minutes ago
- › DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1, FiiO X5 +... 8 minutes ago
- › Cary Nighthawk Amp and Fostex TH600 Combo 11 minutes ago
- › FitEar TO GO! 334 by Francisk
- › Logitech UE 900 by twister6
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by bowei006
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audiofly AF140 In-Ear Headphones (Gray) by Loquah
- › Brainwavz R3 Dual Dynamic Driver Earphones by hans030390
- › Beats Solo 2.0 On-Ear Headphones (Red) by cb3723
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)