Doc how would you compare the sound between the S400's and the Uptowns??
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/12
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/30/12
- productGrado SR60i Headphonestagged by System, 9/8/12
- productJVC HA-FX40-B Earphone - KV6902tagged by System, 9/14/12
- productJVC HAS400B Carbon Nanotube On-Ear Headband Headphones (Black)tagged by System, 10/26/12
- productJVC HAS400W Carbon Nanotube On-Ear Headband Headphones (White)tagged by System, 10/26/12
- productJVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black (Japanese Import)tagged by System, 9/3/12
- productKoss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphonestagged by System, 9/3/12
- productKoss PortaPro Headphones with Casetagged by System, 8/30/12
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/29/12More
- productSennheiser CX 200 In Ear Canal Ear budtagged by System, 9/3/12
- productShure SE215tagged by System, 8/29/12
- productShure SE535-V Earphonetagged by System, 8/29/12
- productUltimate Ears TripleFi 10 Noise Isolating Earphonestagged by System, 8/29/12
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- ATH-M50 achieved, time for good IEM's Last post on 8/8/11 at 11:47am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Please help me find a suitable around-ear headphone Last post on 2/12/14 at 2:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Portable Earphones Under £70 Last post on 12/15/13 at 8:01pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/6/15
The ATH-CK9LTD’s were purchased by me and I’m not in any way affiliated with Audio-Technica. I’ve reviewed the ATH-CKR9 and ATH-CKR10 earlier, those reviews are available...
Intro: JDS Labs, Is an American company based in Collinsville, Illinois. They make headphone amplifiers & DAC’s. Mr. John Seaber is the man behind JDS Labs. We might remember JDS Labs when they...
For the price they offer great clarity, but I cannot reccomend these to people who mainly listen to bass heavy music. I still use my UM Pro10's regularly (I also have a pair of Audio Technica...
I have been searching best headphone(for me not for everyone I'm sorry) last half year. Now I found Sennheiser HD600/650 is one of best headphone for classical music and for me. I bought around...
I would like to start with saying thank you to Brainwavz and Pandora for letting me check out the Brainwavz Jive. The Brainwavz Jive is available from...
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
OVER-PERFORMING, OVER-ACHIEVING Headphones/IEMs for their price range. Top cost effective cans/IEMS - Page 13
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Since you can get the TDK BA200 for around $150 they are an amazing IEM and maybe my favorite IEM I've heard this year out of the 30 some odd I've listened to. I'm going to compare them to my friends W4 to see just how good of a universal IEM they are and what I remember from the last time I heard the W4 the BA200 will compete very well with them. If these don't qualify as an overachiever than nothing should.
Edited by Techno Kid - 11/16/12 at 7:03am
Yessir.... I would pick up a pair. Be warned about the cable. Its a bit weird but sound is impressive.
I couldn't tell you i don't have the 1001. Thats a good question id like to compare them.
I would say they are gunna be similar sounding with smoother highs than the s500 and similarly emphasized bass. Not fast and punchy but not slow either and loose either. The uptowns are gunna have more detail and slightly more space than the s400.
Believe it or not i never directly compared them to the s400. My s400 are with a husband and wife who are buddies of mine along with 5 other pairs of phones im letting them try. Let me reserve my official answer for when i get them back.
Edited by Doc-holliday - 11/14/12 at 9:51am
My list for sub $50
1. DUNU Trident
Great bass amount and punch for entry price, warm and quite balance sound. Pretty fun to listen to. around ＄40
2. Brainwavz M5
More analytical model than Trident SQ is great for the price range $46 probably. It's alternate choice of Trident
My over-achievers for <= $120: Sony XBA-3 iem. Awesome.
My over-achievers for <= $70: JVC S500 headphone. Awesome.
My over-achievers for under $30: KSC 75 headphone (on headband) and Sony MH1C iem. Both awesome!
Good question. I don't know because I have never tried the S400. But based on what I have read, if I had them I am pretty confident that they would be added to my "over-achievers for under $30" list.
Even though I have been smitten with my S500's, whenever I put on my KSC75's, I am always very impressed with the SQ. Not a huge soundstage, but a very nice, detailed and balanced sound with very nice mids. And yes, they are very light and comfortable on the ears. But if isolation is important, they have practically none.
One problem is finding the Parts Express headband for a good price. Actually, you can buy it for $1.95, but the shipping is where they will gouge you.
$7? That's not bad. I paid way more.
And here, I'll make the decision for you: get both!
Short answer?...... Sony, hands down.
- OVER-PERFORMING, OVER-ACHIEVING Headphones/IEMs for their price range. Top cost effective cans/IEMS
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 14 seconds ago
- › 🇬🇧 CanJam London 2015 Impressions Thread! August 29-30, 2015! 2 minutes ago
- › Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor? 2 minutes ago
- › Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1 3 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 5 minutes ago
- › iFi Launch competition – guess the upcoming new product! 5 minutes ago
- › whats so special about planar magnetic headphones 7 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Headphone Unveiled Today 7 minutes ago
- › FitEar Parterre (パルテール) Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Audio-technica Ath-m50 Studio Monitor Headphones Limited Red Model... by peter123
- › JDS Labs ODAC by YoYo JoKeR
- › Westone UM Pro10 High Performance Single Driver Noise-Isolating... by ShaftShanker
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Pokemonn
- › Brainwavz Jive by peter123
- › SoundMAGIC E50S In Ear Isolating Earphones with Microphone - RED by pformagg
- › Sony MDR-7520 Professional Headphones by Malfunkt
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKR10 IN-EAR HEADPHONE TITANIUM SONIC PRO DUAL... by ezekiel77
- › SMSL sApII Pro by DaveLT
- › Audiosense V2mix4 by abyatar
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2