Doc how would you compare the sound between the S400's and the Uptowns??
- productAudio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/12
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/30/12
- productGrado SR60i Headphonestagged by System, 9/8/12
- productJVC HA-FX40-B Earphone - KV6902tagged by System, 9/14/12
- productJVC HAS400B Carbon Nanotube On-Ear Headband Headphones (Black)tagged by System, 10/26/12
- productJVC HAS400W Carbon Nanotube On-Ear Headband Headphones (White)tagged by System, 10/26/12
- productJVC Victor Head-band Portable Headphones | HA-S500-B Black (Japanese Import)tagged by System, 9/3/12
- productKoss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphonestagged by System, 9/3/12
- productKoss PortaPro Headphones with Casetagged by System, 8/30/12
- brandSennheisertagged by System, 8/29/12More
- productSennheiser CX 200 In Ear Canal Ear budtagged by System, 9/3/12
- productShure SE215tagged by System, 8/29/12
- productShure SE535-V Earphonetagged by System, 8/29/12
- productUltimate Ears TripleFi 10 Noise Isolating Earphonestagged by System, 8/29/12
Related Forum Threads
- The IEM/Portable Headphones Deal Alerts Thread - Closed! Use the Deals Thread III instead. Last post on 11/13/13 at 11:26pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- ++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the... Last post on 6/6/13 at 4:16am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- ATH-M50 achieved, time for good IEM's Last post on 8/8/11 at 11:47am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Please help me find a suitable around-ear headphone Last post on 2/12/14 at 2:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Portable Earphones Under £70 Last post on 12/15/13 at 8:01pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
These have nice dynamics and are flatter than some headphones. Despite that the low-end still has enough gusto to bring tracks to life. Another benefit is the detachable cable which uses a 5N OFC...
Disclaimer: I am in not associated with any company; my views are mine, and my own. The Thinksound Rain2 is the newest IEM produced and designed by the environmentally friendly company...
Introduction: When I first came accross the AudioMinor in e-bay I was surprised that the seller is located in the country where I live: Turkey. I have contacted with the company owner/ebay...
For those if you who know me, you know i prefer the FR curve to be as neutral as possible. I have the Etymotic ER4s (ER4p with Etymotic's 75 ohm converter cable), had the HF5, and tried many...
Around 2009, the rumbling and chatter at Headfi.org was getting louder… It was beginning to roar. There was mention of a DIY designer who had an amp that would not only change headphone...
OVER-PERFORMING, OVER-ACHIEVING Headphones/IEMs for their price range. Top cost effective cans/IEMS - Page 13
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Since you can get the TDK BA200 for around $150 they are an amazing IEM and maybe my favorite IEM I've heard this year out of the 30 some odd I've listened to. I'm going to compare them to my friends W4 to see just how good of a universal IEM they are and what I remember from the last time I heard the W4 the BA200 will compete very well with them. If these don't qualify as an overachiever than nothing should.
Edited by Techno Kid - 11/16/12 at 7:03am
Yessir.... I would pick up a pair. Be warned about the cable. Its a bit weird but sound is impressive.
I couldn't tell you i don't have the 1001. Thats a good question id like to compare them.
I would say they are gunna be similar sounding with smoother highs than the s500 and similarly emphasized bass. Not fast and punchy but not slow either and loose either. The uptowns are gunna have more detail and slightly more space than the s400.
Believe it or not i never directly compared them to the s400. My s400 are with a husband and wife who are buddies of mine along with 5 other pairs of phones im letting them try. Let me reserve my official answer for when i get them back.
Edited by Doc-holliday - 11/14/12 at 9:51am
My list for sub $50
1. DUNU Trident
Great bass amount and punch for entry price, warm and quite balance sound. Pretty fun to listen to. around ＄40
2. Brainwavz M5
More analytical model than Trident SQ is great for the price range $46 probably. It's alternate choice of Trident
My over-achievers for <= $120: Sony XBA-3 iem. Awesome.
My over-achievers for <= $70: JVC S500 headphone. Awesome.
My over-achievers for under $30: KSC 75 headphone (on headband) and Sony MH1C iem. Both awesome!
Good question. I don't know because I have never tried the S400. But based on what I have read, if I had them I am pretty confident that they would be added to my "over-achievers for under $30" list.
Even though I have been smitten with my S500's, whenever I put on my KSC75's, I am always very impressed with the SQ. Not a huge soundstage, but a very nice, detailed and balanced sound with very nice mids. And yes, they are very light and comfortable on the ears. But if isolation is important, they have practically none.
One problem is finding the Parts Express headband for a good price. Actually, you can buy it for $1.95, but the shipping is where they will gouge you.
$7? That's not bad. I paid way more.
And here, I'll make the decision for you: get both!
Short answer?...... Sony, hands down.
- OVER-PERFORMING, OVER-ACHIEVING Headphones/IEMs for their price range. Top cost effective cans/IEMS
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread 11 seconds ago
- › the Pimeta-V2 thread 22 seconds ago
- › Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 2 minutes ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 2 minutes ago
- › Is Aliexpress Site trustworthy? 2 minutes ago
- › Portable Amp for plane trip? 3 minutes ago
- › The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II) 3 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 3 minutes ago
- › Goldring DR100 High Fidelity Stereo Headphones by interpolate
- › thinksound rain2 Wooden In-Ear Headphone (Gunmetal Chocolate) by Delance26
- › AudioMinor Headphone Cables by Baycode
- › Etymotic Research Isolator MK5 Noise-Isolating In-Ear Earphones by eyal1983
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold by Frank I
- › OSTRY KC06 High Fidelity Stereo Inner-Ear Earphones by Inks
- › Schiit Audio Valhalla 2 by Hifi Enthusiast
- › Schiit Vali by CEE TEE
- › Signature Acoustics O16 Live by ClieOS
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by potatoe94
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3