Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › OVER-PERFORMING, OVER-ACHIEVING Headphones/IEMs for their price range. Top cost effective cans/IEMS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OVER-PERFORMING, OVER-ACHIEVING Headphones/IEMs for their price range. Top cost effective cans/IEMS - Page 11

post #151 of 242
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsls View Post

I was just ready to go for the JVC, and now comes this! In EU there is a low price from the German Amazon and it is the same as JVC from Japan. If we add the pads cost then s500 is more expensive. Now I'm confused again biggrin.gif Do you think that for the same price ($75) the Philips are still better?

I think, since this is going to be your main headphone, that you would be happier with the philips overall. If you can get them for that price yes it is worth it. The S500 is a great portable too so it kind of depends on what you are looking for. The S500 can be folded up and stored while the Uptowns have much better build quality and comfort in a semi-full-sized package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnfantstk View Post

The Mammoth JVC RX700s are really exceptional for their 30.00 price tag. The sound is very detailed and balanced IMO. I would pay 100.00 and still feel I got a great deal on them. Beats everything else I own including the Panasonic Htf 600s,Portapros and the KSC75s. The build quality is very sturdy beyond their asking price. They truly are a super value. The Koss Ksc75s are amazing in their own right and to ask for 15 dollars or less for that level of sound is crazy. The Portapros and the Htf600s sound too veiled for my liking and are not worth it. The monoprice 8320s are excellent with great clarity and with the tape mod, some really satisfying bass. Seven dollars for them are an absolute steal.

That is actually IMO a very nice looking headphone. Seems like they are built quite well. You think the SQ is really that good huh?
post #152 of 242

How good/bad is the leakage on the Uptowns? I'm considering an up/sidegrade for my Philips SHP8500 at work because they are open and some people have made comments about them being too loud in the room.

post #153 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwerdenker View Post

How good/bad is the leakage on the Uptowns? I'm considering an up/sidegrade for my Philips SHP8500 at work because they are open and some people have made comments about them being too loud in the room.

 

Uptowns are great for containing the sound. I tested them out by turning up as loud as I could handle and my wife said she couldn't hear anything when they were on my head.

post #154 of 242

The Rockit R-50 needs to be on the list for sure.  At $120 for an IEM that gives you $300 sound is definitely an over achiever imo.

post #155 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwong View Post

 

Uptowns are great for containing the sound. I tested them out by turning up as loud as I could handle and my wife said she couldn't hear anything when they were on my head.

Ok, thanks for the response. I just saw these in Amazon.de Warehouse Deals for 46€(~60$) so I ordered them. They still have one more pair left if someone is interested ;)

post #156 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsls View Post

I was just ready to go for the JVC, and now comes this! In EU there is a low price from the German Amazon and it is the same as JVC from Japan. If we add the pads cost then s500 is more expensive. Now I'm confused again :D Do you think that for the same price ($75) the Philips are still better?

 

Imo, the small differences in price doesn't matter, and what matters sn which phone will sound best to you and keep you happy for a while. After a good burn in, and after getting the ath pleathers onto the s500's, I have continued to be blown away with the sound. And they seem to get better and better the more burned in they get. Being so happy with the sound is important to me, because it has allowed me to STOP looking into damned headphones - at least for a while! (Iem's? Well, that's another story lol!).

 

Also, a few people who have had both the s500's and the uptowns prefer the sound of the s500's, so you might want to keep that in mind:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes/2760#post_8832643


Edited by waynes world - 11/2/12 at 12:06pm
post #157 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post


I think, since this is going to be your main headphone, that you would be happier with the philips overall. If you can get them for that price yes it is worth it. The S500 is a great portable too so it kind of depends on what you are looking for. The S500 can be folded up and stored while the Uptowns have much better build quality and comfort in a semi-full-sized package.

I'm just going for one pair I'm not going to try different sound signatures so yeah this is one chance for me hehe. I'm not in a hurry or anything so I have plenty of time to browse and read about all the options. I don't really care about portability they will be used 90% at home, maybe just for planes I will consider the portability. I didn't really like the cable, the mic/buttons and I'm not still convinced that philips is able to build a good pair of HPs :P

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNENUMM View Post

 

Imo, the small differences in price doesn't matter, and what matters sn which phone will sound best to you and keep you happy for a while. After a good burn in, and after getting the ath pleathers onto the s500's, I have continued to be blown away with the sound. And they seem to get better and better the more burned in they get. Being so happy with the sound is important to me, because it has allowed me to STOP looking into damned headphones - at least for a while! (Iem's? Well, that's another story lol!).

 

Also, a few people who have had both the s500's and the uptowns prefer the sound of the s500's, so you might want to keep that in mind:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes/2760#post_8832643

Thanks for the link, I have to read some A-B opinions now! To be honest I was more excited with the Japanese only HP that is so customizable but then I thought that it would be better to find everything ready out of box, just for financial reasons. I must say that all that positive reaction towards JVC is amazing but now it's an ex 150$ pair that comes into the game!

post #158 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsls View Post
but now it's an ex 150$ pair that comes into the game!

 

Sorry, but what are you referring to?

post #159 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNENUMM View Post

 

Sorry, but what are you referring to?


Philips was originally a $150 pair and now costs half the price

post #160 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsls View Post


Philips was originally a $150 pair and now costs half the price

 

Gotcha - thanks.

post #161 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-holliday View Post


I think, since this is going to be your main headphone, that you would be happier with the philips overall. If you can get them for that price yes it is worth it. The S500 is a great portable too so it kind of depends on what you are looking for. The S500 can be folded up and stored while the Uptowns have much better build quality and comfort in a semi-full-sized package.
That is actually IMO a very nice looking headphone. Seems like they are built quite well. You think the SQ is really that good huh?

If you are referring to the JVC Rx700s, I just can't praise them enough. Check out the reviews on here , Amazon and around the web. It will give you a better sense whether they are worth it or not. These headphones are definitely for home use though. The large size and long cord make them impractical for portable use. They are just amazing. Out of 93 reviews on Newegg 5/5 eggs, Amazon 4.5/5 stars,Retrevo 4.6/5 stars out of 238 reviews.etc. etc. Once in a while Amazon Warehouse has them for real cheap. You just have to keep checking.

post #162 of 242
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnfantstk View Post

If you are referring to the JVC Rx700s, I just can't praise them enough. Check out the reviews on here , Amazon and around the web. It will give you a better sense whether they are worth it or not. These headphones are definitely for home use though. The large size and long cord make them impractical for portable use. They are just amazing. Out of 93 reviews on Newegg 5/5 eggs, Amazon 4.5/5 stars,Retrevo 4.6/5 stars out of 238 reviews.etc. etc. Once in a while Amazon Warehouse has them for real cheap. You just have to keep checking.
Wow thanks. We shall have to give those a listen!
post #163 of 242

So I got my Uptowns... and I think I'll send them back frown.gif

 

They look great and they are quite comfy but I find their soundsignature is not my thing. The highs are a bit to penetrating (depending on the song) and it feels as if they lack some volume/space. Also I'm not a big fan of their bass handling.

 

It might also be my imagination but I think there is something weird going on with their "music seal". If I move my head while listening to music the sound changes. Probably due to the shifting of the enclosure or something.

 

Should I try out the S500 instead? I could get them for 35€, so they would be cheaper than the Uptowns which is always nice. Though they don't look half as comfy as the Uptowns.

post #164 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwerdenker View Post

 

Should I try out the S500 instead? I could get them for 35€, so they would be cheaper than the Uptowns which is always nice. Though they don't look half as comfy as the Uptowns.

Did you find the s500 for 35€ including shipping?

post #165 of 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwerdenker View Post

Should I try out the S500 instead? I could get them for 35€, so they would be cheaper than the Uptowns which is always nice. Though they don't look half as comfy as the Uptowns.

 

I'm a big s500 fanboy, and Doc will be putting them back to #1 spot again some day lol! So you know that my answer to your question is "yes". If you get them though, get the ath pleather pads as well which really balances out the sound and also are more comfortable than the stock pads (although I'm sure not as comfy as the uptown's pads).

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › OVER-PERFORMING, OVER-ACHIEVING Headphones/IEMs for their price range. Top cost effective cans/IEMS