Have you tried the D7 with the HD650? Is the synergy good?
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 3/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser wireless RS 220 and how to best use it Last post on 10/6/14 at 8:55am in Headphones (full-size)
- Anything like a right-angle jack for Sennheiser headphones? Last post on 10/1/14 at 6:21pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Portable over-the-ear headphones recommendations needed Last post on 10/2/14 at 6:27am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- hd650 enquiry Last post on 9/22/14 at 10:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Open letter to John Grado Last post on 9/21/14 at 10:46pm in Headphones (full-size)
Overall Impressions This is a amazingly looking device, it does not matter how you look at it, it is simply a pleasure to look at. That is the first impact that one have once you look at it,...
The Pendulumic Stance S1 is an excellent "bluetooth" headphone. I'm sure there are better sounding "wireless" headphones and at some level believe the category should be divided into wireless and...
First of all, I'd like to thank Cayin for opportunity to review C5. As usual, main review is in Russian, here I'll share mt impressions in brief. There is not so many good portable amps in sub...
Ah, yes. The SE215, quite possibly the most popular entry-level IEM on the market at the moment, and for good reason. These headphones are perfect for any budding audio enthusiast thanks to its...
Shure has definitely outdone themselves with this wonderful product. Never have I experienced more clarity in a pair of IEMs. For someone who listens to alternative rock, pop, and an assorted array...
Budget Amp for HD650: Better than O2, E9, Asgard, P4... - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I tried this combination today: to my ear it is a very good, maybe even a perfect match. The HD650 sounded warm, but not dark. Lots of detail, clarity and space. I'd be very happy with this combo.
Yup, I'm a picky one. All of the above amps are fine. But I still think I liked my Just Audio AHA-120 (now sold off... sigh) better than all of the above amps w/ the HD650. The dynamics of the AHA-120 were just really good for a portable and I thought I'd have no problem getting a budget desktop better than a portable, since I didn't need an expensive portable amp! I really liked the synergy between the AHA-120 and the HD650. It was a remarkably transparent amp that still had some sparkle in the treble and heft in the bass, while letting the HD650 mids be themselves. It was a winner and now I need to replace it.
I know lots of you haven't heard the AHA-120 but here I am. The O2 was not bad but felt thin and constrained; the E9, Asgard and P4 were all fine, with lots of raw power but were lacking finesse. They all seemed less nuanced than the AHA-120.
I've read a ton of threads. What am I missing? Am I out of options?
Probably looking under $200, with maybe some flex. I've got an ODAC now but I'd be willing to get a combo unit if it were the best option ($300-350). No desire for it to be portable, though am fine if it is.
If a desktop unit is no problem go for a good stereo amplifier with a good headphone out. New, used and vintage you can find good good stuff within your budget...
The D7 is my least favourite DAC that I have tried so far. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. As for the pairing, I don't think that would be good even if you did want it because the D7's amp is pretty dark. From what I know of the HD650 that's not really what you want to improve it. The only positive thing I can say is that it seems to drive harder to drive headphones better than sensitive ones.
Here's my review of the D7: http://noblehifi.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/ibasso-d7-sidewinder-review.html
Edited by Quadpatch - 9/2/12 at 11:48pm
Besides a Lovely Cube or supposedly a NFB,why don't you try out a Sicphone amp? http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1682246865/sicphones-a-high-end-silicon-carbide-headphone-amp Tyll talked about it in his September updated on Innerfidelity.
- Budget Amp for HD650: Better than O2, E9, Asgard, P4...
- › Audio-GD NFB-15.32 Delivery & Impression Thread 2 seconds ago
- › [Canada] Headamp GS-1 with both upgraded Dynalo+ modules and... 46 seconds ago
- › Tokyo 2014 Autumn Fujiya Avic Headphone Festival October 25-26 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 4 minutes ago
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 5 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 5 minutes ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 8 minutes ago
- › Sony XBA-H3 9 minutes ago
- › Multi-Custom In-Ear Monitor Review, Resource, Mfg List & Discussion... 11 minutes ago
- › Sony PHA-1 Headphone Amp by LeoTheAwesome
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1 Wireless Headphones by mpm2433
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by cleg
- › Shure SE215 by Dinerenblanc
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by Dinerenblanc
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)