Have you tried the D7 with the HD650? Is the synergy good?
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 3/1/13
Related Forum Threads
- Portable over-the-ear headphones recommendations needed Last post on 9/26/14 at 12:53am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- hd650 enquiry Last post on 9/22/14 at 10:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Open letter to John Grado Last post on 9/21/14 at 10:46pm in Headphones (full-size)
- More sonically balanced Sennheiser momentums with active noise cancelling for under $150!!! Last post on 9/19/14 at 6:04am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Dual listening: Amp with two headphone outputs Last post on 9/28/14 at 3:31pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
I'd say this is a great set of IEMs for its price if you're looking for that consumer v-shaped sound sig. It's not the most balanced sound sig, but for what it is, it sounds pretty good. The mids...
As of September 2014, the HE-400 has been discontinued, and it's successor, the HE-400i is being sold in its place. So why publish, or even read, a review now? First, there are many used...
DAC OCU(B) 1866 — very interesting portable DAC/amp combo from Russian manufacturer Myst. Things I like: — Nice look. As OCUB is made in small quantities, it uses stock case, but case is fully...
Note: I'm not sure why, but for whatever reason the little bars at the side aren't matching what I put them to. Audio Quality, Design, and Value I all consider to be top notch, with comfort having...
This is a review of Bowers & Wilkins B&W C5 Series 2 (new 2014 version) in-ear premium headphones with in-line remote....
Budget Amp for HD650: Better than O2, E9, Asgard, P4... - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I tried this combination today: to my ear it is a very good, maybe even a perfect match. The HD650 sounded warm, but not dark. Lots of detail, clarity and space. I'd be very happy with this combo.
Yup, I'm a picky one. All of the above amps are fine. But I still think I liked my Just Audio AHA-120 (now sold off... sigh) better than all of the above amps w/ the HD650. The dynamics of the AHA-120 were just really good for a portable and I thought I'd have no problem getting a budget desktop better than a portable, since I didn't need an expensive portable amp! I really liked the synergy between the AHA-120 and the HD650. It was a remarkably transparent amp that still had some sparkle in the treble and heft in the bass, while letting the HD650 mids be themselves. It was a winner and now I need to replace it.
I know lots of you haven't heard the AHA-120 but here I am. The O2 was not bad but felt thin and constrained; the E9, Asgard and P4 were all fine, with lots of raw power but were lacking finesse. They all seemed less nuanced than the AHA-120.
I've read a ton of threads. What am I missing? Am I out of options?
Probably looking under $200, with maybe some flex. I've got an ODAC now but I'd be willing to get a combo unit if it were the best option ($300-350). No desire for it to be portable, though am fine if it is.
If a desktop unit is no problem go for a good stereo amplifier with a good headphone out. New, used and vintage you can find good good stuff within your budget...
The D7 is my least favourite DAC that I have tried so far. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. As for the pairing, I don't think that would be good even if you did want it because the D7's amp is pretty dark. From what I know of the HD650 that's not really what you want to improve it. The only positive thing I can say is that it seems to drive harder to drive headphones better than sensitive ones.
Here's my review of the D7: http://noblehifi.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/ibasso-d7-sidewinder-review.html
Edited by Quadpatch - 9/2/12 at 11:48pm
Besides a Lovely Cube or supposedly a NFB,why don't you try out a Sicphone amp? http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1682246865/sicphones-a-high-end-silicon-carbide-headphone-amp Tyll talked about it in his September updated on Innerfidelity.
- Budget Amp for HD650: Better than O2, E9, Asgard, P4...
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › CTC Audio Product Tours - Reviewers Wanted! 16 seconds ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 34 seconds ago
- › Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread 48 seconds ago
- › Sony MDR-1R series MK2 49 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 52 seconds ago
- › Blue Jeans Cable Ultrasonically-Welded RCA Interconnects 1 minute ago
- › FS: AudioPoutine cDAC+ (super ODAC) 1 minute ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 1 minute ago
- › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Eddie Current 445 Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 by Midgetguy
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by Rajikaru
- › MyST 1866 by cleg
- › The Enigma by Levaix
- › Bowers & Wilkins C5 S2 In-Ear Headphones, Black by twister6
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)