Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R - Page 67

post #991 of 2704
Thread Starter 
Straight out of the box the sound is not impressive. Sometimes this is a good thing. I hope this is the case and it improves after a few days of burn-in.
Reply
post #992 of 2704

Quote:

Originally Posted by john53 View Post

My problem is that the midrange is a bit too warm/thick,and some higher frequensies have not so good presence(at least for now with 15 hours burn in time),so the sound is very warm and a bit veiled.

 

Exactly how i head the SRH840s, but worse.

post #993 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by jude View Post

 

Among a few other headphones, I also have the K 550, and prefer the MDR-1R.

 

As for your summary of the MDR-1R, I couldn't disagree more on just about all you said. I don't find it to have a small soundstage (for a closed headphone), grain in the sound, or congestion when playing fast music of complex tonality. Relative to the K 550, it is darker.

 

That said, we each hear what we hear, and, in this case (and likely others), our assessments of the same headphone clearly differ.

Thanks Jude I appreciate your clarification.

 

As you mention, each person has to test/audition and see how the sound fits to his/her linking. You have far more expertise and experience evaluating headphones, so my amateurish opinion should be taken with a grain of salt. I bought the Sony because I read how much you like it based onn your posts so your opinion is very important to me. I very much wanted to love its sound. I love its design and I am attached to the brand so I was favorable biased to like it. 

 

I don't write this to continue the debate; each person should be encouraged to audition and make up their mind based on preferences. Just clarification I add few more things. My statements on soundstage and congestion come from doing side-by-side comps between the MDR-1R and the AKG K550. The listening was done using MOG MP3 320 kbps music, and the NuForce Icon HDP. For my settings and music clearly the K550 was superior to the MDR-1R. I also compared the UE6000 with the Sony and the soundstage and imaging were also better for the UE6000, a $200 headphone that I plan to keep. Perhaps the main reasons I returned the Sony was because of the "congestion" I perceived when listening to some complex music passages (not noticed with the UE6000 nor the K550) and that I found its sound "boring" to my preferences.  

 

Be well and thanks again!

post #994 of 2704
Quote:

Originally Posted by john53 View Post

 

My problem is that the midrange is a bit too warm/thick,and some higher frequensies have not so good presence(at least for now with 15 hours burn in time),so the sound is very warm and a bit veiled.

I don't think that sony's are bad sounding headphones,they just have their own tonality,which I personally don't like that much,compared to some other headphones I own.I guess some people may like this type of sound,though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 View Post

Straight out of the box the sound is not impressive. Sometimes this is a good thing. I hope this is the case and it improves after a few days of burn-in.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGuzmanWhite View Post

Thanks Jude I appreciate your clarification.

 

As you mention, each person has to test/audition and see how the sound fits to his/her linking. You have far more expertise and experience evaluating headphones, so my amateurish opinion should be taken with a grain of salt. I bought the Sony because I read how much you like it based onn your posts so your opinion is very important to me. I very much wanted to love its sound. I love its design and I am attached to the brand so I was favorable biased to like it. 

 

I don't write this to continue the debate; each person should be encouraged to audition and make up their mind based on preferences. Just clarification I add few more things. My statements on soundstage and congestion come from doing side-by-side comps between the MDR-1R and the AKG K550. The listening was done using MOG MP3 320 kbps music, and the NuForce Icon HDP. For my settings and music clearly the K550 was superior to the MDR-1R. I also compared the UE6000 with the Sony and the soundstage and imaging were also better for the UE6000, a $200 headphone that I plan to keep. Perhaps the main reasons I returned the Sony was because of the "congestion" I perceived when listening to some complex music passages (not noticed with the UE6000 nor the K550) and that I found its sound "boring" to my preferences.  

 

Be well and thanks again!

 

I was genuinely intrigued by thise new Sony offering as a replacement for my aging out AKG-K271S, but none of these sounds good, not at all.

May be K267 then, but they look so dorky. confused.gif

post #995 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post

I was genuinely intrigued by thise new Sony offering as a replacement for my aging out AKG-K271S, but none of these sounds good, not at all.

 

I'm starting to think that I may be a "stick with the classics" kind of fella myself... floatsmile.png

post #996 of 2704

Some photos I shoot,these are really beautiful headphones.I'll give them some more burn in time because the sound has some nice qualities,and I want to see how they'll change after some more hours and how they'll grow on me.

 

 

700

 

 

700

 

 

700

 

 

700

 

 

 

700

 

 

700

post #997 of 2704
Thread Starter 

black looks great too.

Reply
post #998 of 2704

Been burning mines in they are going on 60 hours of aggressive pounding on the drivers and I have to say. I am loving this sound..I call it Sony's version of the rich sound tuning. Sure it is a bit colored but what headphone isn't..I like the passive isolation on the 1Rs. It is almost as good as my XZ700s.. Listening now I suppose you have to be a fan of forward sounding mids. But that is the one thing I love about Sony sound actually. They always get the mids right on most if not all of their headphones./ earphones. These do sound much better with burn in and yes I am on the side that are loving the sound that is coming out of my sexy MDR-1R..I don't know if it is the type of headphone that one can like as soon as you put it on. It is one of those sleepers..I read a post here earlier of someone saying these sound similar to the XZ700. Yes and no. MDR-1Rs are much more dynamic. More precise, faster, better imagery, better stage. A richer deeper sound and much more engaging over the more drier sound of the XZ700.. Similar sound balancing yes.

 

I consider these a musical audiophiles delight. I think they sound great..


Edited by Dsnuts - 11/26/12 at 4:01pm
post #999 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post

Been burning mines in they are going on 60 hours of aggressive pounding on the drivers and I have to say. I am loving this sound..I call it Sony's version of the rich sound tuning. Sure it is a bit colored but what headphone isn't..I like the passive isolation on the 1Rs. It is almost as good as my XZ700s.. Listening now I suppose you have to be a fan of forward sounding mids. But that is the one thing I love about Sony sound actually. They always get the mids right on most if not all of their headphones./ earphones. These do sound much better with burn in and yes I am on the side that are loving the sound that is coming out of my sexy MDR-1R..I don't know if it is the type of headphone that one can like as soon as you put it on. It is one of those sleepers..I read a post here earlier of someone saying these sound similar to the XZ700. Yes and no. MDR-1Rs are much more dynamic. More precise, faster, better imagery, better stage. A  richer deeper sound over the more drier sound of the XZ700.. Similar sound balancing yes.

 

I consider these a musical audiophiles delight. I think they sound great.

 

Thanks for your impressions. Things are getting controversial.

How is the details retrieval on those. Does it at least approach Denon D2000 there.

post #1000 of 2704

I don't think these are lacking in detail at all. These might throw off a guy that has never heard forward sounding mids in their music. But to me I will take forward mids over a recessed one..The Denons have a traditional V shape sound signature. These don't. Then there is the solid mid bass and a smooth sub bass end..I did a head to head against the my HFI780 and the bass of the MDR-1R are actually comparable a bit less on the mid bass but very similar in the sub bass Trance sounds great with these cans. Especially vocal trance... I can also see how guys are comparing this sound to the Shures.

 

I can understand the negative points people are mentioning but to me these have a really nice full engaging sound. I can also see how guys would think these are bright..I don't know if it was the burn in or me just getting used to how it sounds. probably a bit of both. The highs are nicely defined and refined in this headphone imo..Nothing strident but does reveal the occasional sharpness in high notes. I think this aspect is where the burn in tightened the highs a bit. It sounds great now.  The Denons extend more and has the wider stage and is a classic. but for me I bought another headphone in hoping I get a different sound and that is what I got from these.. My UE6000 has more similarities in sound tuning to the D2000 over these..What can I say I love how my music sounds on this headphone.I  am very happy with my purchase..Plus. Just look at this sexyness!

700

Shameless sexiness double pic post. Just shameless.


Edited by Dsnuts - 11/26/12 at 4:40pm
post #1001 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 View Post

black looks great too.

 

LOL, so says the dude that waited over a month for his special silver ones to arrive from Japan.  Still, as long as they sound the same, then they're both great.  Personally, I'd love to see one with a combination of anodized blood red and gunmetal, but I know that ain't never gonna happen.

post #1002 of 2704
I miss my MDR-1R...

But I am tempted to try the Tiesto K167 since I will need to buy these for Accessory Jack or some place like that to get them again. Heck if I really like the K167 sound more maybe I will make a frankenphone with a pair of these just to get the frame and portability LOL.

Btw any crazy modders out there trying to see what they can make these do?
post #1003 of 2704

Chalk me up as another buyer. Got the black ones with limited line in cable. AJ does have a killer price but I paid a little extra to get them locally and well quicker ;)

 

Will give them a listen and some A/B tests out of my amp with my V6 tomorrow.

 

The box it comes in is real beautiful, sturdy too. Anyone got creative ideas or uses for it?


Edited by Mickice - 11/26/12 at 6:07pm
post #1004 of 2704

These can and do sound a bit congested on open box and can sound even more weird if you have sibilant recordings your trying to listen..I do believe burn in has helped these. Tightens the sound and they sound really nice. I am going for 100 hours maybe a bit more..The cleaner and better quality your source is the better these sound imo.

 

Burn in 100% recommended..


Edited by Dsnuts - 11/26/12 at 6:35pm
post #1005 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickice View Post

Chalk me up as another buyer. Got the black ones with limited line in cable. AJ does have a killer price but I paid a little extra to get them locally and well quicker ;)

 

Will give them a listen and some A/B tests out of my amp with my V6 tomorrow.

 

The box it comes in is real beautiful, sturdy too. Anyone got creative ideas or uses for it?


What's the whole "limited line in cable" means, don't they all come with two cables or you need to order from Japan or Australia?

BTW, not sure if that was posted already but one of the headfiers put together very nice review on those.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/sony-mdr-1r/reviews

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R