Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R - Page 56

post #826 of 2725

So, I finally measured those : earcups (including the thinner surrounding part) are around 8cm wide and 10 cm high ; earpad cavity is 3.5cm wide, 6cm high (sorry for my wrong 1cm reference by eye !)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Flycatcher View Post

actually I would be more interested in the size of the earcups, if you could measure those I would be very pleased smile.gif

 

 

Well as I said, I recently did not have much time to listen to my full size headphones (which I prefer are currently the Wharfedale ID1, recent acquisition so I need more time with those, but for now, I can say that they are very musical, quite well balanced, detailed, with a somewhat wide soundstage, but not as deep as I thought, and its presentation seems to suit me better, but I will do some side-by-side comparison ; for more details about those, check the ortho thread with keyword ID1 :)), and was mostly listening to those 1Rs, and when commuting (almost) only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lubczyk View Post

Just curious Damneegy, what headphones do you use now? Judging from your musical preferences, your preferred headphones must be quite demanding and versatile.

 

Edit : May I add I am quite pleased with those when there is no noise around (great separation ; soundstage quite better : some instruments got closer, like violin I like, some got further ; much detail : I happened to hear some new things using those and the Wharfedales, I guess their characteristics which differ from the Fostex T50rp I used before both present things differently), and then I get the "bassy" sound they were expected to have.


Edited by Damnegy - 11/9/12 at 2:39pm
post #827 of 2725

Ok some initial impression.. 

 

The noise cancellation with the S-master amplification is pretty darn good. It's tonally similar to Old denon series , like d2000/d7000 but does not have overpowering bass. It's just nice, very tight bass and treble level is also similar and i can't detect spiky peak yet. I am pretty surprise by the huge difference in sound quality between off and on. It's like having a totally different phones altogether. The sound signature completely change .. Yes so much so that I have to take off the Sony phone and look at it again to believe its still the same phone. 

 

I actually prefer the sound quality with nc switch on. The sound with nc off has some very strong bass, as a reference, it has much more bass than hd650 ... way way more. One of the weakness is its has a lot of excessive mid bass and it tend to bleed into the mid range. (Some people like that). This mid bass makes the sound very thick. The treble with nc off is not as clear with nc on.. The nc brought in some extended high, more air. 

 

So in an extreme example, if I like my phone to sound like hd650 thick and mellow, then turn nc off and if I decided to listen to Denon D7000, turn it on.  Again this is an extreme example just to get a perspective. 

 

Ok back to listening and will be back to report more as it burns in... Ciao for now


Edited by Audiowood - 11/9/12 at 11:56pm
post #828 of 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiowood View Post

Ok some initial impression.. 

The noise cancellation with the S-master amplification is pretty darn good. It's tonally similar to Old denon series , like d2000/d7000 but does not have overpowering bass. It's just nice, very tight bass and treble level is also similar and i can't detect spiky peak yet. I am pretty surprise by the huge difference in sound quality between off and on. It's like having a totally different phones altogether. The sound signature completely change .. Yes so much so that I have to take off the Sony phone and look at it again to believe its still the same phone. 

I actually prefer the sound quality with nc switch on. The sound with nc off has some very strong bass, as a reference, it has much more bass than hd650 ... way way more. One of the weakness is its has a lot of excessive mid bass and it tend to bleed into the mid range. (Some people like that). This mid bass makes the sound very thick. The treble with nc off is not as clear with nc on.. The nc brought in some extended high, more air. 

So in an extreme example, if I like my phone to sound like hd650 thick and mellow, then turn nc off and if I decided to listen to Denon D7000, turn it on.  Again this is an extreme example just to get a perspective. 

Ok back to listening and will be back to report more as it burns in... Ciao for now

This would probably mean good to those looking at the NC version for portable use if they travel a lot with few access to charge the batteries, if they don't want HD650-like sound.
post #829 of 2725

I auditioned 1R vs 1RNC for about 10 minutes in Sony shop this afternoon.

1R and NC(NC mode off) sound not exactly the same. 1R can hear more define details and neutral then bigger cup NC version (regardless NC on / NC off).

NC version (off NC) bass sound huge but rough and unpolished. once NC switch on bass changed to punchy and firm. 

with NC switched on seems better bass then 1R but inferior mid and treble. i felt the digital taste sound and noticed missing in some details that drive me picked 1R back home at last.

at home:
My initial impression was my 4+ years old senheisher IE8 have sweeter+neutral blended sound, vocal much forward, better instrument seperation and clearity are better then my new bought1R that haven gone thru any burns. i believe thru time headphone cup 1R will be better the IEM.

Just my unmatured sound test thru Sony walkman S739 modal with flat EQ for the mentioned model. ^^


Edited by musictang - 11/10/12 at 6:30am
post #830 of 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiowood View Post

 

 

 

 

I actually prefer the sound quality with nc switch on. The sound with nc off has some very strong bass, as a reference, it has much more bass than hd650 ... way way more. One of the weakness is its has a lot of excessive mid bass and it tend to bleed into the mid range. (Some people like that). This mid bass makes the sound very thick. The treble with nc off is not as clear with nc on.. The nc brought in some extended high, more air. 

 

I agree completely with this description. 

post #831 of 2725

I'd love to hear more comparisons b/t the NC and standard.

 

From the little we do have, it sounds like the standard 1R still sounds better.  It's going to come down to leakage and isolation for me and I really hope the better sounding one is also acceptable in this regard.

 

Hell, I think it's time I made a trip to my local Sony Store.  I'll bring some gear with me and report back.

 

Fingers crossed all models are on the floor and accessible!

post #832 of 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnegy View Post

So, I finally measured those : earcups (including the thinner surrounding part) are around 8cm wide and 10 cm high ; earpad cavity is 3.5cm wide, 6cm high (sorry for my wrong 1cm reference by eye !)

 

Thank you Damnegy! That is small...about the same size as the M-50 earpads, alas, too small for me to be comfy.

post #833 of 2725

today i did a comparison with srh940 and zx700 watching action scenes in movies. the zx700 and 1r are really close by. presentation is not bad, but both lack the 3d experience the srh940 can give you. also sub bass on explosions are better rendered by the shures. you can easyly catch more details and every sound gets its on room on the shures, while again both sonys are very similar sounding. the difference between the sonys is so marginal, that it is quite hard to believe that there is such a hughe price difference. all in all, the 1r are not bad, but in no aspect as good as the shures, so i am tempted to decide to use the zx700 as a portable and the shures at home. there is nothing that convinced me, to keep the 1r as an alrounder, as i would simply miss the realistic presentation of the shures.

post #834 of 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Flycatcher View Post

Thank you Damnegy! That is small...about the same size as the M-50 earpads, alas, too small for me to be comfy.

I got the 1R and the M50s.

And for me - the M50's soaring my ears after a while, but not the 1R's.

 

I think it's because the pads are softer and not as stiff as the M50's pads.

 

(my ears is like 6-6,5 cm high)


Edited by Rasmutte - 11/11/12 at 2:21am
post #835 of 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofastreamer View Post

today i did a comparison with srh940 and zx700 watching action scenes in movies. the zx700 and 1r are really close by. presentation is not bad, but both lack the 3d experience the srh940 can give you. also sub bass on explosions are better rendered by the shures. you can easyly catch more details and every sound gets its on room on the shures, while again both sonys are very similar sounding. the difference between the sonys is so marginal, that it is quite hard to believe that there is such a hughe price difference. all in all, the 1r are not bad, but in no aspect as good as the shures, so i am tempted to decide to use the zx700 as a portable and the shures at home. there is nothing that convinced me, to keep the 1r as an alrounder, as i would simply miss the realistic presentation of the shures.

Hi sofastreamer, how did you drive the headphones while watching movies? Pure Stereo or Dolby Headphone? Please give us some more details to qualify what you are stating.

post #836 of 2725

i drove them from my macbook --> fiio e7 without sound enhancements.

post #837 of 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofastreamer View Post

today i did a comparison with srh940 and zx700 watching action scenes in movies. the zx700 and 1r are really close by. presentation is not bad, but both lack the 3d experience the srh940 can give you. also sub bass on explosions are better rendered by the shures. you can easyly catch more details and every sound gets its on room on the shures, while again both sonys are very similar sounding. the difference between the sonys is so marginal, that it is quite hard to believe that there is such a hughe price difference. all in all, the 1r are not bad, but in no aspect as good as the shures, so i am tempted to decide to use the zx700 as a portable and the shures at home. there is nothing that convinced me, to keep the 1r as an alrounder, as i would simply miss the realistic presentation of the shures.

Thank you for your comparison Sofa. I was considering the new 1R but I also own the SRH-940 and like them very much. I might have to pass on the Sony for now rolleyes.gif
post #838 of 2725

youll definitely hear "more details"  with the 940 because compared to the 1r, the 940 has alot less bass and too much treble. just my 2 cents =)

post #839 of 2725

Detail and brightness are not synonymous.

post #840 of 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

Detail and brightness are not synonymous.


Absolutely.

 

I don't understand why people jump to the erroneous conclusion that they are the same.  Detail pertains to the entire spectrum.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R