- 100 Posts. Joined 8/2004
- Location: London, UK
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sony MDR-1R and Sony MDR-1RNC Last post on 6/28/13 at 6:15am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Help choose my headphone :D Last post on 5/20/13 at 5:48pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help!! looking for new headphones under 200 Last post on 5/14/13 at 8:16am in Headphones (full-size)
- The Hassle-Free Headphone Recommendation Thread: Cans that sound great without amping, modding,... Last post on 1/11/15 at 6:43am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Importing headphones... Last post on 3/1/13 at 12:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 11/28/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I bought these a year ago now and they are holding up great with my Vector Research amplifier. Bass is on 10 Mid on 6 and treble on 8. They sound fantastic and don't make any buzzing noises. I wear...
Here a short first impressions review of the AH-MM400. After unpacking I was truly amazed. The build-quality is far beyond anything I ever held in my hands with this price tag on it. If anybody...
My Setup Tested with my Dell XPS 8700 desktop going optical out to a Yamaha RX-V365 amp (1/4 inch headphone out). I played various files (FLAC, MP3, M4A) at different bit rates using...
I try to keep my reviews simple and understandable so I don't go into a large amount of detail with each part. There are others here that do an excellent job at very in depth and detailed reviews....
I'm an on-ear open junkie, so this high praise says a lot about the PX95. A list of on-ear opens I have in various drawer: AKG K512, PX100-ii, PortaPros, Jays V-Jays, and some more that I can't...
Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R - Page 52post #766 of 273311/7/12 at 10:36amI think the isolation is as good as any other closed portable personally, fine for most things. If you want to block out sound when flying then of course you need something more heavy-duty or ANC.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #767 of 273311/7/12 at 11:08amQuote:
Well It depends on comparison. I am using Ultrasone SIgnature pro close can as my reference. It is less than 50% in isolation if memory serve me well. :)post #768 of 273311/7/12 at 12:10pmpost #769 of 273311/7/12 at 3:44pmQuote:If you compare it to the SRH1440 as another example the 1440 would be a similar very shallow upside down V with the peak landing slightly right of center with the treble never returning to flat and the sub-bass starting below flat (more like an upside down check mark). The 940 would again be similar witha slightly different bass response.
Thank you. I'm reading that loud and clear, since I seem to hear the 1440 the same way that you do.Quote:Btw everything I am saying is based off listening and my interpretation of how it sounds. Nothing is measured in any scientific way.
Which is the way it should be..post #770 of 273311/7/12 at 3:48pmQuote:
Most definitely have plans to try these out sometime this weekend.
I appreciate the endorsement!post #771 of 273311/7/12 at 4:48pmpost #772 of 273311/7/12 at 5:32pmpost #773 of 273311/7/12 at 5:45pmpost #774 of 273311/7/12 at 6:00pmpost #775 of 273311/7/12 at 6:01pm
I'm listening to the MDR-1R right now with both my Rockboxed iPod Video 5th Gen and my desktop rig, FLAC source files with both. Wow. I'm afraid the Momentum is going back to Amazon.post #776 of 273311/7/12 at 6:06pmpost #777 of 273311/7/12 at 6:11pm
Not really. Comparatively speaking the Momentum's bass is a bit muddy with more flab. The Sony has better soundstage, more forward mids and more air in the higher frequencies. The bass is more defined and seems to reach deeper than the Momentum. It sounds more refined and balanced than the Senn, which feels congested in comparison. Two physical characteristics to note: The MDR-1R is truly circumaural while the Momentum, with its smaller ear cups, for many people is on-ear. Also, the Sony's cable is very short. If you're going to use it with a desktop system you'll probably need an extension unless you sit right on top of your amp. I'm using the straight cable sans iDevice controls.
Yes indeed, I'm liking this headphone. A lot.
Edited by swmtnbiker - 11/7/12 at 6:16pmpost #778 of 273311/7/12 at 6:22pmpost #779 of 273311/7/12 at 6:28pm
I'll need some more A/B time to determine how the isolation compares between the two. And let me say that they are BOTH very beautiful, well constructed portable cans. I sort of prefer the retro look of the Sennheiser, and the leather + metal materials are very, very plush. The Sony, with all of its plastic, is more "corporate" looking to me but still an attractive piece of kit. The Momentum also comes with a much nicer case. The MDR-1R simply has a cordura bag. But in the end it's the sound that counts and so far the Sony is winning me over in a big way.
We'll see if that assessment holds true when I get the PSB M4U1 next week. CURSA YOU A-HEAD-FI!!!!!
Edited by swmtnbiker - 11/7/12 at 6:30pmpost #780 of 273311/7/12 at 6:42pm
- Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › CUSTOMART US CIEM Demo Lineup Tour - Including Harmony 8 Pro 40 seconds ago
- › Titanfall where has the PC player base gone? 57 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 2 minutes ago
- › If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you... 2 minutes ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 2 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R 2 minutes ago
- › The EU deals thread! 2 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 3 minutes ago
- › I've Made a Terrible Mistake OR My Frustrating IEMs Journey,... 3 minutes ago
- › JVC HAM55X High Quality Xtreme-Xplosvs Headphones by Thoft208
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by musikaladin
- › beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphones by rigodeni
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Zalithian
- › Sennheiser PX 95 Versatile On-Ear Headphones by inline79
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by serman005
- › ecp audio Black Diamond by Schopenhauer
- › FiiO E12 Mont Blanc by jamato8
- › JVC HA-FX750 Wood Dome Unit Earphone by dnun8086
- › EarWerkz Supra by moedawg140
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)