- 100 Posts. Joined 8/2004
- Location: London, UK
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sony MDR-1R and Sony MDR-1RNC Last post on 6/28/13 at 6:15am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Help choose my headphone :D Last post on 5/20/13 at 5:48pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help!! looking for new headphones under 200 Last post on 5/14/13 at 8:16am in Headphones (full-size)
- The Hassle-Free Headphone Recommendation Thread: Cans that sound great without amping, modding,... Last post on 1/16/17 at 9:19am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Importing headphones... Last post on 3/1/13 at 12:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I bought these headphones about year ago (I use them almost everyday), as an upgrade from my g430s when the cable finally wore out. In some cases (only some cases) I think the sound quality might...
Introduction Sennheiser HD650 is one of the (seemingly) consecrated headphones made by Sennheiser as an upgrade (update?) to their well received model, HD600. HD600 has been...
I finally took the plunge and got these. It's amazing how TOTL IEMS can sound so different. Bass: Tight and full. Tip dependent. With the triple flanges thought my head was going to blow off. I...
The original iDSD Micro stood out from the competition as an all-in-one replacement for the most discerning listeners' setups. The original iDSD Micro delivered - I had one, but as I started to not...
Dynamic headphones by the primarily planar producing HiFiman, very good value(especially if you live in america). Detailed and strong treble, decent mids and midbass yet a little light on lower...
Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R - Page 52post #766 of 276211/7/12 at 10:36amI think the isolation is as good as any other closed portable personally, fine for most things. If you want to block out sound when flying then of course you need something more heavy-duty or ANC.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #767 of 276211/7/12 at 11:08amQuote:
Well It depends on comparison. I am using Ultrasone SIgnature pro close can as my reference. It is less than 50% in isolation if memory serve me well. :)post #768 of 276211/7/12 at 12:10pmpost #769 of 276211/7/12 at 3:44pmQuote:If you compare it to the SRH1440 as another example the 1440 would be a similar very shallow upside down V with the peak landing slightly right of center with the treble never returning to flat and the sub-bass starting below flat (more like an upside down check mark). The 940 would again be similar witha slightly different bass response.
Thank you. I'm reading that loud and clear, since I seem to hear the 1440 the same way that you do.Quote:Btw everything I am saying is based off listening and my interpretation of how it sounds. Nothing is measured in any scientific way.
Which is the way it should be..post #770 of 276211/7/12 at 3:48pmQuote:
Most definitely have plans to try these out sometime this weekend.
I appreciate the endorsement!post #771 of 276211/7/12 at 4:48pmpost #772 of 276211/7/12 at 5:32pmpost #773 of 276211/7/12 at 5:45pmpost #774 of 276211/7/12 at 6:00pmpost #775 of 276211/7/12 at 6:01pm
I'm listening to the MDR-1R right now with both my Rockboxed iPod Video 5th Gen and my desktop rig, FLAC source files with both. Wow. I'm afraid the Momentum is going back to Amazon.post #776 of 276211/7/12 at 6:06pmpost #777 of 276211/7/12 at 6:11pm
Not really. Comparatively speaking the Momentum's bass is a bit muddy with more flab. The Sony has better soundstage, more forward mids and more air in the higher frequencies. The bass is more defined and seems to reach deeper than the Momentum. It sounds more refined and balanced than the Senn, which feels congested in comparison. Two physical characteristics to note: The MDR-1R is truly circumaural while the Momentum, with its smaller ear cups, for many people is on-ear. Also, the Sony's cable is very short. If you're going to use it with a desktop system you'll probably need an extension unless you sit right on top of your amp. I'm using the straight cable sans iDevice controls.
Yes indeed, I'm liking this headphone. A lot.
Edited by swmtnbiker - 11/7/12 at 6:16pmpost #778 of 276211/7/12 at 6:22pmpost #779 of 276211/7/12 at 6:28pm
I'll need some more A/B time to determine how the isolation compares between the two. And let me say that they are BOTH very beautiful, well constructed portable cans. I sort of prefer the retro look of the Sennheiser, and the leather + metal materials are very, very plush. The Sony, with all of its plastic, is more "corporate" looking to me but still an attractive piece of kit. The Momentum also comes with a much nicer case. The MDR-1R simply has a cordura bag. But in the end it's the sound that counts and so far the Sony is winning me over in a big way.
We'll see if that assessment holds true when I get the PSB M4U1 next week. CURSA YOU A-HEAD-FI!!!!!
Edited by swmtnbiker - 11/7/12 at 6:30pmpost #780 of 276211/7/12 at 6:42pm
- Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Newbie here. 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 1 minute ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › New here, looking for headphone advice. 2 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 3 minutes ago
- › FLC Technology FLC8 and FLC8s Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › HD 558 vs HD 598 Soundstage 5 minutes ago
- › Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound by jimtree
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Dobrescu George
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by anqallyt
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by vapman
- › Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 by machielsste
- › Sennheiser Momentum In Ear (iOS version) - Black Chrome by HiWire
- › Fiio F1 Dynamic In-ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ENIGMAcoustics Dharma D1000 by geoffalter11
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by audiobean
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by Dobrescu George
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear