- 100 Posts. Joined 8/2004
- Location: London, UK
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sony MDR-1R and Sony MDR-1RNC Last post on 6/28/13 at 6:15am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Help choose my headphone :D Last post on 5/20/13 at 5:48pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help!! looking for new headphones under 200 Last post on 5/14/13 at 8:16am in Headphones (full-size)
- The Hassle-Free Headphone Recommendation Thread: Cans that sound great without amping, modding,... Last post on 11/10/15 at 9:12am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Importing headphones... Last post on 3/1/13 at 12:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R - Page 52post #766 of 275811/7/12 at 10:36amI think the isolation is as good as any other closed portable personally, fine for most things. If you want to block out sound when flying then of course you need something more heavy-duty or ANC.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #767 of 275811/7/12 at 11:08amQuote:
Well It depends on comparison. I am using Ultrasone SIgnature pro close can as my reference. It is less than 50% in isolation if memory serve me well. :)post #768 of 275811/7/12 at 12:10pmpost #769 of 275811/7/12 at 3:44pmQuote:If you compare it to the SRH1440 as another example the 1440 would be a similar very shallow upside down V with the peak landing slightly right of center with the treble never returning to flat and the sub-bass starting below flat (more like an upside down check mark). The 940 would again be similar witha slightly different bass response.
Thank you. I'm reading that loud and clear, since I seem to hear the 1440 the same way that you do.Quote:Btw everything I am saying is based off listening and my interpretation of how it sounds. Nothing is measured in any scientific way.
Which is the way it should be..post #770 of 275811/7/12 at 3:48pmQuote:
Most definitely have plans to try these out sometime this weekend.
I appreciate the endorsement!post #771 of 275811/7/12 at 4:48pmpost #772 of 275811/7/12 at 5:32pmpost #773 of 275811/7/12 at 5:45pmpost #774 of 275811/7/12 at 6:00pmpost #775 of 275811/7/12 at 6:01pm
I'm listening to the MDR-1R right now with both my Rockboxed iPod Video 5th Gen and my desktop rig, FLAC source files with both. Wow. I'm afraid the Momentum is going back to Amazon.post #776 of 275811/7/12 at 6:06pmpost #777 of 275811/7/12 at 6:11pm
Not really. Comparatively speaking the Momentum's bass is a bit muddy with more flab. The Sony has better soundstage, more forward mids and more air in the higher frequencies. The bass is more defined and seems to reach deeper than the Momentum. It sounds more refined and balanced than the Senn, which feels congested in comparison. Two physical characteristics to note: The MDR-1R is truly circumaural while the Momentum, with its smaller ear cups, for many people is on-ear. Also, the Sony's cable is very short. If you're going to use it with a desktop system you'll probably need an extension unless you sit right on top of your amp. I'm using the straight cable sans iDevice controls.
Yes indeed, I'm liking this headphone. A lot.
Edited by swmtnbiker - 11/7/12 at 6:16pmpost #778 of 275811/7/12 at 6:22pmpost #779 of 275811/7/12 at 6:28pm
I'll need some more A/B time to determine how the isolation compares between the two. And let me say that they are BOTH very beautiful, well constructed portable cans. I sort of prefer the retro look of the Sennheiser, and the leather + metal materials are very, very plush. The Sony, with all of its plastic, is more "corporate" looking to me but still an attractive piece of kit. The Momentum also comes with a much nicer case. The MDR-1R simply has a cordura bag. But in the end it's the sound that counts and so far the Sony is winning me over in a big way.
We'll see if that assessment holds true when I get the PSB M4U1 next week. CURSA YOU A-HEAD-FI!!!!!
Edited by swmtnbiker - 11/7/12 at 6:30pmpost #780 of 275811/7/12 at 6:42pm
- Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
- Headphone Impedance
- › Moon Nēo 430HA Reference Headphone Amplifier 30 seconds ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 1 minute ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions 3 minutes ago
- › Luxury and Precision - Crowdfunding Promotion on the L3 Digital... 4 minutes ago
- › Official X5 2nd gen beta firmware download and discussion... 4 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 5 minutes ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 6 minutes ago
- › Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones -... 6 minutes ago
- › Echobox Finder X1 review/impressions/discussion thread 7 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest DragonFly Red USB DAC, Preamp, Headphone Amp by Stereocilia
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by HiFiChris
- › Edifier M710 On-Ear Headphones with Mic and Volume Control - Red by Nymphonomaniac
- › HIFIMAN Edition X Over Ear Planar Magnetic Headphones by kendetamas
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by twister6
- › Tingo TC200 Earbuds by zhouharvey
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by WonWesleyChoi
- › AKG K712 Pro by WonWesleyChoi
- › Meze 99 Classics by FUYU
- › Zorloo ZuperDAC by Zelda
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse