Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R - Page 50

post #736 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaver View Post

I was hoping to A/B compare them but was unable to do so. From memory the Hp700 is more V shaped in signature with stronger mid bass and less sub-bass. The mids of the Hp700 will likely seem more distant than the 1R, the treble might be a bit more agressive though. Comfort wise the 1R wins hands down as well portability wise. Sound stage and positioning is hard to remember but I think the 1R wins there to. But the HP700 may be a better can if you want it's signature style and it's more visceral nature due to that v shaped signature.
But I got rid of the HP700 mainly due to lack of comfort and lack of portability which the 1R has in spades so it's easy to see where I stand.

 

Thank you for your information dweaver.

 

So the Sony have more forwarded mid. I fine the mid of the HP700 to be quite forward, one thing I really appreciate compare to the D5000 and yes the mid bass is punchy and tight but sub bass not as much. Would you say the Sony mid are forward like Grado?

post #737 of 2704

Is anyone else having problems with their 1R creaking? It is not too bad with mine, but still annoying considering the price I paid for them.

post #738 of 2704

So, luckily, I received my pair (black) today, just trying those right now !

I must agree with those who said vocals are forward : I find the instruments (though not guitar on some songs, oddly) to be further, which makes the songs I like less enjoyable (I really like violin), and the Sonys are less musical than Wharfedale ID1 (for those that know these).

The soundstage is thus rather good (instruments can be heard quite far, but overall, it is pretty close), nothing to be astonished by.

The build seems pretty good, no creaking (yet?), I'm overall satisfied with those (for now?)

 

It is not fair to compare to full-size cans, even more so when they are open, but I may compare them (direct comparison, but please do not expect too much from me, I am not familiar with many aspects of sound reproduction) to Senns HD598, HE60, modded Fostex T50rp, Yamaha YH-100, ESW9 (when I will receive the jacks I ordered, to change mine), Beyer DT1350 (when and if I get them back from my friend) and DT220.

Though as recommended, I will let these burn in for a while before any comparison.

 

I am very disappointed by isolation (take with a grain of salt, as I just received them, maybe earpads will adapt to my ears, and did not try them outside) : I read that it was above average, but it seems to be quite low (I can clearly hear a letter dropping from approximately 3 meters far and 1.5 meters high, did not try more ; or a pen dropping on papers 1m high, 2m far ; etc.).

 

And for those interested, I measured, from top of earpad cavity to the other by following the headband, those headphones range approximately from 28cm to 36.

post #739 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnegy View Post

So, luckily, I received my pair (black) today, just trying those right now !

...


Nice I'm looking forward on reading your comparison. Specialy the DT1350 (if your return them wink.gif )
Edited by Twinster - 11/6/12 at 10:48am
post #740 of 2704

will order later from Accessoryjack since the Stax SRS002 has problems and it will be delayed according to Justin (Headamp)

 

my friend have a z1000 that has creaking problem as well. and i will try to fix it when i go by his place (he is too busy so i cant attempt to fix it in the past few months) and it is possible that the fix would be the same as well for the 1R. i hope i can fix it though! my friend's z1000 is so annoying because it creaks really bad.

post #741 of 2704
Someone mentioned the 1R lacks Pratt which I would agree with due to Sony's smoothness, this in turn affects the midrange in regards to how it sounds so it does not have a Grado like midrange.

In regards to the HP700, that headphone does have more forward mids that the D5000 and D7000 but it also has aggressive treble and hard hitting mid-bass which overall makes it a pretty aggressive headphone. The 1R on the other hand is more of a very mild hump shape curve with a slightly elevated bass end and more elevated midrange with the treble dropping off closer to flat. Hopefully what I am saying makes sense.
post #742 of 2704

Any more in-depth comparisons to the M100? Not much info about the mids...

post #743 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaver View Post

Someone mentioned the 1R lacks Pratt which I would agree with due to Sony's smoothness, this in turn affects the midrange in regards to how it sounds so it does not have a Grado like midrange.
In regards to the HP700, that headphone does have more forward mids that the D5000 and D7000 but it also has aggressive treble and hard hitting mid-bass which overall makes it a pretty aggressive headphone. The 1R on the other hand is more of a very mild hump shape curve with a slightly elevated bass end and more elevated midrange with the treble dropping off closer to flat. Hopefully what I am saying makes sense.

 

So you mean it is more of a B-shape (as opposed to U) , with a long straight tail through the treble?

post #744 of 2704
I would say it's an extremely shallow upside down V that's peak is slightly left of center if the center region is where vocals land because the vocals are ever so slightly warm and full sounding. This compared a traditional V shaped sound of the HP700.

If you compare it to the SRH1440 as another example the 1440 would be a similar very shallow upside down V with the peak landing slightly right of center with the treble never returning to flat and the sub-bass starting below flat (more like an upside down check mark). The 940 would again be similar witha slightly different bass response.

Btw everything I am saying is based off listening and my interpretation of how it sounds. Nothing is measured in any scientific way.
Edited by dweaver - 11/6/12 at 7:01pm
post #745 of 2704
Thanks again for the comparison. biggrin.gif
post #746 of 2704

Originally Posted by dweaver View Post
Someone mentioned the 1R lacks Pratt which I would agree with due to Sony's smoothness, this in turn affects the midrange in regards to how it sounds so it does not have a Grado like midrange.
In regards to the HP700, that headphone does have more forward mids that the D5000 and D7000 but it also has aggressive treble and hard hitting mid-bass which overall makes it a pretty aggressive headphone. The 1R on the other hand is more of a very mild hump shape curve with a slightly elevated bass end and more elevated midrange with the treble dropping off closer to flat. Hopefully what I am saying makes sense.

If this is true any possibility of me liking this headphone is gone, which sucks because it does look quite nice.

post #747 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnegy View Post

 

And for those interested, I measured, from top of earpad cavity to the other by following the headband, those headphones range approximately from 28cm to 36.

actually I would be more interested in the size of the earcups, if you could measure those I would be very pleased smile.gif

post #748 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaver View Post

I would say it's an extremely shallow upside down V that's peak is slightly left of center if the center region is where vocals land because the vocals are ever so slightly warm and full sounding. This compared a traditional V shaped sound of the HP700.
If you compare it to the SRH1440 as another example the 1440 would be a similar very shallow upside down V with the peak landing slightly right of center with the treble never returning to flat and the sub-bass starting below flat (more like an upside down check mark). The 940 would again be similar witha slightly different bass response.
Btw everything I am saying is based off listening and my interpretation of how it sounds. Nothing is measured in any scientific way.

Dweaver, so what do you think of this graph?

 

post #749 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaver View Post

Someone mentioned the 1R lacks Pratt which I would agree with due to Sony's smoothness, this in turn affects the midrange in regards to how it sounds so it does not have a Grado like midrange.
In regards to the HP700, that headphone does have more forward mids that the D5000 and D7000 but it also has aggressive treble and hard hitting mid-bass which overall makes it a pretty aggressive headphone. The 1R on the other hand is more of a very mild hump shape curve with a slightly elevated bass end and more elevated midrange with the treble dropping off closer to flat. Hopefully what I am saying makes sense.


Just when I thought this guy would be invincible.  I love speed....

post #750 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnegy View Post

So, luckily, I received my pair (black) today, just trying those right now !

I must agree with those who said vocals are forward : I find the instruments (though not guitar on some songs, oddly) to be further, which makes the songs I like less enjoyable (I really like violin), and the Sonys are less musical than Wharfedale ID1 (for those that know these)...

 

I'm not generally one to argue about someone's subjective impressions--in other words, before I say what I'm about to say, I want to make clear I believe you're hearing it like you're saying. I'm just offering my opinion (which differs from yours).

 

To my ears--and I do also listen to a lot of violin (coincidentally, listening right now to Sibelius Violin Concerto)--I'm not finding instruments to sound unnaturally distant.

 

In something with violins and vocals--like "Soon or Never" by Punch Brothers--I'm still not finding anything out of balance (to my ears), even if the vocals are somewhat forward.

 

Another headphone I mentioned in an earlier post that I also really like (but certainly has a different signature) is the new PSB M4U 1. If you get a chance to audition one, you should. Also look into the Sony MDR-7520, which has also become one of my favorite sub-$500 closed headphones, and may have a signature closer to what you're looking for.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Audiohead View Post


Just when I thought this guy would be invincible.  I love speed....

 

For a better part of this evening, I've been listening to the MDR-1R straight from a Benchmark DAC2 HGC, and I am having absolutely no problem with a lack of speed from the MDR-1R (for my tastes anyway), relative to its peers. And I was listening to it and a bunch of other closed headphones (and amp/DACs) all day yesterday, writing for the upcoming holiday update to the buying guide. Of the ones in this photo that aren't $2000, the MDR-1R may be my favorite for general sit-down listening.

 

1000

 

R-Audiohead, you may find its speed up to your expectations, so you should give it a listen at a store or meet if you can.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R