Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R - Page 45

post #661 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post

 

http://store.sony.com/p/Sony-Headphones/en/p/MDR1R

 

or Amazon...

only problem with Amazon is that it's been out of stock before it ever came out and still is.  Plus their price went from $288 to $299 before they even sold any.  confused.gif

I was going to buy from Sony but they only had black and charged tax so I just bit the bullet and ordered the silver one from Japan for a slight premium.  

post #662 of 2704

Hong Kong always has the cheapest price for Sony products. The rrp on Sony Style HK is $1880 which equates to about $240AUD. 

post #663 of 2704

Well I've been listening to these non-stop since I received them.  I normally just shuffle all my music and not until a moment ago, I heard a track with that rumbling sub-bass.  I finally really heard the sub-bass in this headphone.  It's not brain-rattling like some other cans I've heard but it's there.  It's polite and soft but sounds fantastic.  It doesn't tickle my eardrums to the point where I have to take off my headphones and twitch my ears which I appreciate.  This headphone has grown on me more than others that I've heard recently and absolutely love it.  

post #664 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBai View Post

Well I've been listening to these non-stop since I received them.  I normally just shuffle all my music and not until a moment ago, I heard a track with that rumbling sub-bass.  I finally really heard the sub-bass in this headphone.  It's not brain-rattling like some other cans I've heard but it's there.  It's polite and soft but sounds fantastic.  It doesn't tickle my eardrums to the point where I have to take off my headphones and twitch my ears which I appreciate.  This headphone has grown on me more than others that I've heard recently and absolutely love it.  
I knew it was there!! smily_headphones1.gif but it is politer than the XBA3 for example. I have been using these pretty much exclusively since I received them. They may not be audio perfection but I think they are close to design and function perfection from a combined audio and ergonomics perspective.
Edited by dweaver - 11/2/12 at 4:15pm
post #665 of 2704

I tried these recently at a HMV store (UK-London-Oxford street (if anyone is interested)). 

 

The 'bluetooth' wireless ones (even when wired) sounded like crap. The newly discovered sony mh1 easily beats it IMO. 

 

The normal ones sounded very good actually. I was surprised at the all round balance. I'd call it an aggressive headphone, but the notes were not thin (not thick either) and there was a nice sense of air around the place. Yea, good.....but it's something that is impossible for me to wear for more than half an hour.

 

For some crazy reason part of my outer ear touches the front of the drivers plastic cover. It's quite a sharp, protruding/uneven plastic and with the pads not being thick, this is just unforgivable in my view. The driver is clearly angled but the cup isn't deep enough probably. Actually I haven't bothered to check what you guys think of it's comfort or sound (could I care- this isn't a headphone for me??) but that's my view on this. If it weren't for this ultra conspicuous flaw, I actually would have walked out of the shop with one.

 

That HMV store were advertising the headphone pretty enthusiastically. I hadn't come across it on headfi, so before I heard it I though this would be something like a beats by dre concoction. Nice surprise that it isn't. 

post #666 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by obzilla View Post

 

 

Plastic is pretty good, all things considered. I would prefer a better material myself... but it is a high quality plastic.

 

SE 535s are also my IEMs, I would say the signature is quite similar. Neutral, with impactful bass, but by no means a fart cannon, and not over emphasized.

 

Sound leakage, I am a computer monkey, we sit shoulder to shoulder, and no one says they can hear them unless around my neck.

 

Hmm. I do like the 535, and I think it is pretty balanced except for the obvious extension problems in both the low end, and the massive cliff the treble rolls off of.  It rolls off late enough for me to be okay with it... not missing that much acoustic info.

 

I find the 535 to be a bit slow and very mid forward as well.  Unfortunately, for being so mid forward, the SE535 doesn't impress a whole lot with detail.  It does just fine, but usually mid-forward translates into a rich or detailed midrange.... at least IME.

 

Does the MDR-R1 share this characteristic? The impression I'm getting from others is that it is pretty flat (linear) sounding, which is something I prefer greatly.  How are the dynamics?  Is it fast, more rich, or somewhere in the middle.

 

I'm getting the impression that these guys do most things well.... a "jack-of-all-trades" if you will.

 

Also, happy to hear about the sound leakage!


Edited by R-Audiohead - 11/2/12 at 4:40pm
post #667 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBai View Post

Well I've been listening to these non-stop since I received them.  I normally just shuffle all my music and not until a moment ago, I heard a track with that rumbling sub-bass.  I finally really heard the sub-bass in this headphone.  It's not brain-rattling like some other cans I've heard but it's there.  It's polite and soft but sounds fantastic.  It doesn't tickle my eardrums to the point where I have to take off my headphones and twitch my ears which I appreciate.  This headphone has grown on me more than others that I've heard recently and absolutely love it.  


You cant be saying stuff like that.. 

post #668 of 2704

I'd like to follow my previous post by saying I do not by any means dislike the 535.  I think it does some things really, really well!
 

post #669 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by jude View Post

what I will say about it now is that, of the current crop of new closed, around-the-ear portables, the MDR-1R is the one I'd pick for more critical listening (versus the M-100, M4U 1, MOMENTUM, and UE6000). I find the MDR-1R's sound very well balanced; and though its not neutral, per se, it is among the most even-handed I've heard in the sub-$500 closed, portable over-ear category.

 

 

The PSB M4U 2 is pretty much neutral (slight upper bass lift) so there must be a big difference in sound with the new M4U 1. Sad to hear. The Momentum and UE6000 are way overblown in the upper bass. 

post #670 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantScareMe View Post

I tried these recently at a HMV store (UK-London-Oxford street (if anyone is interested)). 

 

The 'bluetooth' wireless ones (even when wired) sounded like crap. The newly discovered sony mh1 easily beats it IMO. 

 

The normal ones sounded very good actually. I was surprised at the all round balance. I'd call it an aggressive headphone, but the notes were not thin (not thick either) and there was a nice sense of air around the place. Yea, good.....but it's something that is impossible for me to wear for more than half an hour.

 

For some crazy reason part of my outer ear touches the front of the drivers plastic cover. It's quite a sharp, protruding/uneven plastic and with the pads not being thick, this is just unforgivable in my view. The driver is clearly angled but the cup isn't deep enough probably. Actually I haven't bothered to check what you guys think of it's comfort or sound (could I care- this isn't a headphone for me??) but that's my view on this. If it weren't for this ultra conspicuous flaw, I actually would have walked out of the shop with one.

 

That HMV store were advertising the headphone pretty enthusiastically. I hadn't come across it on headfi, so before I heard it I though this would be something like a beats by dre concoction. Nice surprise that it isn't. 

 

I've tried the BT ones as well at a demo here in Auckland. A-B-ing the BT and the standard one, I can say that the standard version is better. Definitely not a Beats clone, I can happily report. If I get more time with them, I'll try and post first hand impressions. I live quite near a Sony store here.

post #671 of 2704

I sold my brand new MDR-1RNC to a fellow head-fier, but I did get a chance to try them out at the store and can say that they are very good indeed.  

 

Really curious how the MDR-1R sounds compared to the more expensive MDR-1RNC.  Note that the 1RNC has a built-in S-master amp that is matched to these headphones, and has 50mm drivers instead of 40mm.  The 1RNC also has dual impedances, it functions at 16 ohms when the noise cancelling is shut off, and 51 ohms when noise cancelling (and the S-master amp) is switched on.

 

I briefly compared the sound with and without the noise cancelling active.  With noise cancelling (and the amp) switched on, the bass is tighter and even deeper, and the overall sound seems even more detailed.  When the noise cancelling is off, the sound is still excellent, but just not as forward and more laid back.

post #672 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Audiohead View Post

I'd like to follow my previous post by saying I do not by any means dislike the 535.  I think it does some things really, really well!
 

535s do a lot well. But they make some compromises too. For the price, I think they're a good value. If not imperfect and not particularly exciting.

 

As far as speed, I have to have another listen to comment. But I didn't notice an issue.

 

Detail is not lacking. They aren't T1s or HD800s, but I was impressed by the detail (again, keeping what they are and what they cost in perspective, as I do have T1s and have owned HD800s, so relatively to cans in their league, it's quite good).

Most closed portables don't do so well in this dept. The MDR1s do just fine.

 

It's hard to compare them too much to the 535s, as the fit and seal is so different. The MDR1s are pretty neutral, but I would say they have a better bottom end than the 535s. Maybe that means they are less mid forward. Not sure.

post #673 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaver View Post


I knew it was there!! smily_headphones1.gif but it is politer than the XBA3 for example. I have been using these pretty much exclusively since I received them. They may not be audio perfection but I think they are close to design and function perfection from a combined audio and ergonomics perspective.

Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post


You cant be saying stuff like that.. 

Just trying to lure you in.  very_evil_smiley.gif

post #674 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietcux View Post

Hi, I found the following site: http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

 

Sub Bass is16 to 60 Hz

Bass is 60 to 250 Hz

Mid range is 250 to 2k Hz

High Mid range is 2k to 4k Hz

High Frequencies is 4k to 20k Hz

 

You can also find the frequency spectrum of typical non electronic instruments. Very interesting and a must read for members of HeadFi.

 

L3000.gif

 

I personally define midrange as roughly the typical  human vocal range (about 100-1000 Hz), or the range where lateral sound localization can be determined due to phase differences between your ears (about 80-800 Hz).

 

Midbass I'd pick as the zone where phase difference localization becomes difficult, and (SPL) level differences are small, which is roughly 80-200 Hz. Below that, localization by human ears is very difficult if not impossible. 

post #675 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisiviti View Post

I sold my brand new MDR-1RNC to a fellow head-fier, but I did get a chance to try them out at the store and can say that they are very good indeed.  

 

Really curious how the MDR-1R sounds compared to the more expensive MDR-1RNC.  Note that the 1RNC has a built-in S-master amp that is matched to these headphones, and has 50mm drivers instead of 40mm.  The 1RNC also has dual impedances, it functions at 16 ohms when the noise cancelling is shut off, and 51 ohms when noise cancelling (and the S-master amp) is switched on.

 

I briefly compared the sound with and without the noise cancelling active.  With noise cancelling (and the amp) switched on, the bass is tighter and even deeper, and the overall sound seems even more detailed.  When the noise cancelling is off, the sound is still excellent, but just not as forward and more laid back.


What prompted you to part with them when it sounds like you enjoy them?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R