Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R - Page 144

post #2146 of 2704

I know there is not good opinion about onboard sound as source, but I just found out, if I activate "WOW HD Music" in my Realtek settings the sound is clearer, more precise, crisp. Before that it sounded "ok", but somehow muffled. Now it's like real High Definition and much more neutral. I'd say the sound is now at least 50% better, if not more. Somehow embarrassing, that I didn't know I had a High Definition Audio Controller on my laptop and that I had the HD output deactivated...


Edited by Argramemnon - 3/23/13 at 11:15am
post #2147 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkPro View Post

3 days in with the 1R, already having cable problems. The sound would randomly cut off or faint out on the right side. This is with the mic-remote cable, I have not tried the audio only cable yet but if the remote cable doesn't work then this headphone is useless for me. Call me feature wh*ring or anything, when the temperature is as low as 5 F you don't want to touch the iPod's aluminum body or remove your gloves just to change songs/volume. 

 

Too bad, I enjoyed the sound and comfort quite a bit and thought they would be a nice alternative for when I don't feel like hauling the giant D7100 outside. I will return them, but I'm unsure if I should get a refund or replacement. Given that many users are having cable problems as well I don't think I can get lucky. Maybe I will get a replacement first, and if that one turns out to be a lemon as well then I'll be done with the 1R.

 

I had a problem with the mic cable too -- mine didn't have a great connection and sounded terrible out of some sources. For me that was fine since I don't use them with my phone, but contact Sony and the warranty should cover the cable, you might just have to send in the cable to get it replaced.

post #2148 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroicPenguin View Post

 

I had a problem with the mic cable too -- mine didn't have a great connection and sounded terrible out of some sources. For me that was fine since I don't use them with my phone, but contact Sony and the warranty should cover the cable, you might just have to send in the cable to get it replaced.

 

That's good to know, but I think I may just get a refund. I got the 1R off amazon when they messed up the price (225 bucks) now it is back to MSRP. Guess I don't have much luck with Sony, I'm waiting for their new smartphone yet they haven't even bothered announcing a US release date. 

post #2149 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkPro View Post

 

That's good to know, but I think I may just get a refund. I got the 1R off amazon when they messed up the price (225 bucks) now it is back to MSRP. Guess I don't have much luck with Sony, I'm waiting for their new smartphone yet they haven't even bothered announcing a US release date. 

Do not go through Sony if you bought it from Amazon. The current price doesn't matter if you request an exchange from Amazon.

 

The build quality issues and poor quality control are what led me to go through 4 units before finally giving up. It's so close to being the perfect portable headphone.


Edited by acti0n - 3/23/13 at 5:56pm
post #2150 of 2704

Thanks, I know that amazon won't charge me the price difference if I request a replacement, but given all the issues lying around I don't think I should tread any further into this, and don't want to be like a ********* to amazon either, thus I asked for a refund. Just now I was able to confirm that the cable is 100% broken - the pause button randomly activates itself and even turns on Siri without me touching it or the iPod. 

 

Oh how I miss the old R10/SA5000/CD3000 Sony. 

post #2151 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post

Yep, that worked, thanks a bunch.

All you need is insert some thin plastic spatula to unlock one of them (9 or 3 o'clock), the rest come off w/o problem.

 

 

You mean something like this? tongue.gif Had some Extreme Dynamat leftovers lying around after Denon D5000 modding.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post


And I really, really like the effect. Not a drastic transformation, but tightened up a bit loose bass and cleared mids. I also feel that sub bass went up quite a bit, they have some serious hard slam now, but as I don't have a second pair to do proper A/B take that with a grain of salt.

 

Wondering if anyone else tried the mod. After spending more time with them I can confirm that my impressions above are not imagination and the change is even more noticeable out of portable for some reason.

The bass hits very hard and tight now, not loose at all, more subbass and added clarity in mids.

I was using this Extreme Dynamat http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00020CATC/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's fully reversible in case you would want to go back to stock but IMO the improvement is totally worth the hassle.

post #2152 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post


Wondering if anyone else tried the mod. After spending more time with them I can confirm that my impressions above are not imagination and the change is even more noticeable out of portable for some reason.
The bass hits very hard and tight now, not loose at all, more subbass and added clarity in mids.
I was using this Extreme Dynamat http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00020CATC/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's fully reversible in case you would want to go back to stock but IMO the improvement is totally worth the hassle.

Im just wondering how to get the pads off. Can you return them for a refund if you take them off? I was thinking about returning them because of the comfort and sound but the comfort issue is slowly going away.
post #2153 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post


Wondering if anyone else tried the mod. After spending more time with them I can confirm that my impressions above are not imagination and the change is even more noticeable out of portable for some reason.
The bass hits very hard and tight now, not loose at all, more subbass and added clarity in mids.
I was using this Extreme Dynamat http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00020CATC/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's fully reversible in case you would want to go back to stock but IMO the improvement is totally worth the hassle.

Im just wondering how to get the pads off. Can you return them for a refund if you take them off? I was thinking about returning them because of the comfort and sound but the comfort issue is slowly going away.
post #2154 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argramemnon View Post

I know there is not good opinion about onboard sound as source, but I just found out, if I activate "WOW HD Music" in my Realtek settings the sound is clearer, more precise, crisp. Before that it sounded "ok", but somehow muffled. Now it's like real High Definition and much more neutral. I'd say the sound is now at least 50% better, if not more. Somehow embarrassing, that I didn't know I had a High Definition Audio Controller on my laptop and that I had the HD output deactivated...

Actually wow stands for quite heavy sound enhancement and a surround boost on digital level. Some songs may sound better while others may become screwed up. It sure can bring forward various freqs from the background, but It's nothing like neutral sound. What's more, depending on the actual laptop and/or drivers, the sound archieved with this setting can vary to a very big degree, it's like those built-in-devices EQ presets where you can't see exact EQ settings, except that you get at least a hint with the name of preset... ph34r.gif

 

If you find this setting to bring more "fun" factor, then go ahead, that's what it was intended for. But I believe when using HPs from $300 price range it's useful to know "what's that" and what it does to music.


Edited by SmOgER - 3/24/13 at 5:11pm
post #2155 of 2704
The comfort issue has been resolved! My ears used to rub all over the drivers but now their only rubbing on some soft valor. I took the driver covers out from my valored mdr 7506s and now these cans are sooo comfortable. Now Ive gotta think of a way to get these pads off.
post #2156 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post
Now Ive gotta think of a way to get these pads off.

Read starting from here

http://www.head-fi.org/t/625015/sony-has-new-headphones-mdr-1r/2040#post_9268736

post #2157 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post

Read starting from here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/625015/sony-has-new-headphones-mdr-1r/2040#post_9268736

So do you pull them off the same way you pull any other pads off, like dt770 or mdr 7506 because it seems like im going to rip them?
post #2158 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks159 View Post


So do you pull them off the same way you pull any other pads off, like dt770 or mdr 7506 because it seems like im going to rip them?


No, did you read the linked post and follow up after? You need to unlock the locking clips first and lift off the whole assembly.

post #2159 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post


No, did you read the linked post and follow up after? You need to unlock the locking clips first and lift off the whole assembly.

I read some, and didnt see it going anywhere. Let's see...
post #2160 of 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post


No, did you read the linked post and follow up after? You need to unlock the locking clips first and lift off the whole assembly.

Oh yeah, I got them off and put the valors on em! Thanks!

Now do you use a philips screwdriver to take out the driver then put something in it? Ive never modded a pair of cans before.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R