- 559 Posts. Joined 2/2007
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Sony MDR-1R and Sony MDR-1RNC Last post on 6/28/13 at 6:15am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Help choose my headphone :D Last post on 5/20/13 at 5:48pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Help!! looking for new headphones under 200 Last post on 5/14/13 at 8:16am in Headphones (full-size)
- The Hassle-Free Headphone Recommendation Thread: Cans that sound great without amping, modding,... Last post on Today at 9:19 am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Importing headphones... Last post on 3/1/13 at 12:44pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
These headphones are much recommended online as a relatively cheap introduction into the world of high fidelity. They are functional and do not excessively grab attention visually. They are...
A very good DAC and headphone AMP for the price. A clear improvement in sound quality from my laptop for headphones, even ones that already sounded good, this gives a much cleaner,clearer and more...
This is my first really good quality Digital Audio Player. I have used a range of Audiophile headphones on it. If you're used to digital Sony Walkmans of days gone by you will recognize the simple,...
My favorite pair of headphones, and considering I own the Sennheiser HD598s, that is saying something. They look fantastic, very stylish indeed, they are extremely comfortable, infact the ear pads...
These are okay headphones if you can get them for a cheap price (sub £90 ) but probably aren't worth any more than that. Their build quality is solid, despite all the plastic used, and they can be...
Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R - Page 101post #1501 of 27621/1/13 at 12:38pmWhere do you spray silicone spray on the headphone?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1502 of 27621/1/13 at 3:09pmQuote:
1R obviously have more forward midrange, and m50 obviously has more treble. Bass IME the m50 has tighter bass but thats a super burned-in m50 (like 1000 hours) and the 1R is less than 100 hours of playtime. The 1R has more "spacious feel" than the m50 and is alot more comfortable. Both headphones have that somewhat nasty clamp below your ear and that is very irritating to me. Not as bad as k518 clamp though.post #1503 of 27621/1/13 at 5:55pmQuote:
:3 who knows? I've never had any uncomfortable phones >_> only cause I've had 2 headphones. Iono about my z1000. Maybe the designers were once from beats >:0 those fugly phones. Gaming headsets also fugly. I can't imagine circum aural being uncomfy, but i know supras are. The 1r seems to have the best of all 3 for a closed phone :3post #1504 of 27621/1/13 at 9:29pmpost #1505 of 27621/1/13 at 9:50pmpost #1506 of 27621/2/13 at 3:06ampost #1507 of 27621/2/13 at 3:58amQuote:
No they don't need an amp at all, I've tried them with E17, there's no need.post #1508 of 27621/2/13 at 4:47amQuote:
Ah , that's good to know , thank you.
Side note I : My left ear cup squeaks when I move it , like when I'm putting the cans on or taking them off , they don't irritate me while I listen to music or am nodding to the music though. I'm not to sure which part of the plastic is rubbing against each other :/ , so I used silicone spray randomly on the part where the cups swivel but to no avail. Sigh..
Side note II: Burned them in to pink noise overnight but couldn't hear the difference , then just after a few more tracks the bass seemed more noticeable and "thumpier ".post #1509 of 27621/2/13 at 5:01ampost #1510 of 27621/2/13 at 6:01am
Just ordered one aswell, looking forward to em. Been so mixed on my next buy as im getting rid of the AKG K550 since I found them abit to boring and cold but at the same time I like them. Also I will not look so stupid at the office or at uni as it will not cover the whole head. Got them for 250$ trough sale, its usually cost 500-600$ for the normal version here in Norway.
Anyone who can give an opinion on how they feel if you have them around the neck?
Often when I have conversation with others I like to not have to take them of my head. My K550 is way to big and the DT880 is smaller but still abit to much.
Edited by Leonarfd - 1/2/13 at 6:46ampost #1511 of 27621/2/13 at 6:15pm
sounding better with more burn in.
still, having both the K167 and MDR1R couldn't be further from each other as closed cans.
one, warm and smooth, loose and less detailed and another crisp, detailed, cold and tight.post #1512 of 27621/2/13 at 6:54pmQuote:
Sounds like what I would end up with if I had a threesome...post #1513 of 27621/2/13 at 8:45pmQuote:
which one is which?post #1514 of 27621/3/13 at 12:39am
I think what stops the MDR-1R from being a flagship is really just the build / material selection (plastic). That said, between the magnesium flagship EX1000 and plastic professional monitor 7550, I prefer the 7550. Between the magnesium flagship (discontinued) Z1000 and the plastic MDR-1R, I prefer the MDR-1R. My wallet agrees wholeheartedly.
I think the big advantage of the MDR-1R that Andrew_MOT mentions about soundstage / presentation vs the Momentum's is correct. My Momentum's sound extremely precise and impactful, the MDR-1R sounds more musical, diffuse, spacious and relaxed. It depends on what you want; some days I like the Senny, some days I like the Sony.post #1515 of 27621/3/13 at 8:57pmQuote:Originally Posted by R-AudioheadQuote:
I don't even understand the point you are trying to make here.
There is a lot more to 'necessitating' amping a signal than electrical impedance.
If it's pure volume you're referring to, then you might have a point... but volume is hardly fidelity.
And many speakers get 'amped'.
The speakers thing was just clarifying that 8 ohms was possible/common.
And, amps are totally unnecessary for this headphone because it has high sensitivity and low impedance. If you use a properly designed amp that will be transparent and not color the sound, it will sound identical to another properly designed amp with higher output power. Unfortunately very few amps are properly designed; any differences you notice are the fault of the equipment, not the headphones.
- Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (advanced wireless & microSD module for... 8 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser x Massdrop PC37X Review & Discussion 47 seconds ago
- › Trinity Audio Q & A 2 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 3 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 3 minutes ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 6 minutes ago
- › DX200 Details of design, features and specifications on 1st page. ... 6 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 6 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 8 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 12 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by theminstrel
- › FiiO E17 by theminstrel
- › Sony NWZ-A15 Walkman Video MP3 Player (16GB) - Black by theminstrel
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 by theminstrel
- › Shure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black) by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 449 Headphones by theminstrel
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by FortisFlyer75
- › AXGIO Dash Wireless Earbuds Cordless Running Jogging Bluetooth... by pkshiu
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by heliosphann
- › Beyerdynamic T5p Second Generation Audiophile Headphones by crabdog
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear