Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R - Page 100

post #1486 of 2686
Just some hardware stuff : I found out I just have to wear the cans a little more to the back, this way my ears will be behind the curved drivers and are at the part where it's curved in. My ears now don't touch the 'webbing' covering the drivers like they used to.

I also had the jack rattle problem but used the fix with blue tak from the fix thread here in the forums.

Sound: I noticed the cans sound a bit.. Echo-ey, sorta like what some people might refer to as 3D effect. I've heard these from the xba series a little as well. Is it normal? Just asking. :-)

Time to go back to listening.
post #1487 of 2686

I just got these in black for $200 AUD. They were on sale so I could'nt resist. They look fabbo and they're comfy as anything. However, they do have the typical Sony sound signature. A bit warm for my tastes. I lsten to a lot of dance music and I like to hear the "shiny" attack of kick drums. These give off a warmish sound. I'll keep them because return policies in Oz seem to be more stringent in this country than the US.

post #1488 of 2686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelcroft View Post

Just some hardware stuff : I found out I just have to wear the cans a little more to the back, this way my ears will be behind the curved drivers and are at the part where it's curved in. My ears now don't touch the 'webbing' covering the drivers like they used to.
I also had the jack rattle problem but used the fix with blue tak from the fix thread here in the forums.
Sound: I noticed the cans sound a bit.. Echo-ey, sorta like what some people might refer to as 3D effect. I've heard these from the xba series a little as well. Is it normal? Just asking. :-)
Time to go back to listening.

 That's exactly how I wear them! The 3D effect is the result of the angled drivers + wearing them the way we do and that's what sets this apart from other headphones in its category (the main reason why I prefer this to the Sennheiser Momentum). Try moving the cups a bit more to how you normally wear them and you'll notice the 3D effect also lessens.


Edited by d marc0 - 12/30/12 at 11:49pm
post #1489 of 2686
Quote:
Originally Posted by d marc0 View Post

 That's exactly how I wear them! The 3D effect is the result of the angled drivers + wearing them the way we do and that's what sets this apart from other headphones in its category (the main reason why I prefer this to the Sennheiser Momentum). Try moving the cups a bit more to how you normally wear them and you'll notice the 3D effect also lessens.

Oh? Haha :D . Can't really tell if there's a difference in the 3D effect when i move the cups around. Perhaps it's just a minor change. I prefer my ears in the back still though haha , the "webbing" irritates me a bit , but not the the point of "GET THESE CANS OFF ME".

post #1490 of 2686

Is 3D not a GOOD thing?

post #1491 of 2686
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel2323 View Post

Is 3D not a GOOD thing?


That soundstage spaciousness or "3D" was the last nail into Momentum coffin when I was comparing two.

They are not bass light, nor bass heavy. There is plenty of mid bass and it adds good body to the sound. Treble was a bit lacking to begin with but cut through nicely after 3 or so days of heavy pink noise burning. So it's quite well extended and nice now, but never shrieking. When A/B with some drier phones they can leave "wooled" impression but give the ears some time to adjust and you can hear same if not more amount of details, they are just more delicate, better integrated into the rest of the music body and don't stick out like sore tooth. If anyone into photography it's kind of "resolution" vs. "sharpness" sort of thing.

And they really let you hear the source behind, i.e. scale very well with the system.


Edited by Andrew_WOT - 12/31/12 at 8:10am
post #1492 of 2686
Ok, just got mine. No break in, but listened unamped and amped with a e11. VERY different from the k167. I even A/B'd them but ill get to that in a min.

The first thing I noticed was the warmth. No different than what I had read about these. No nearly as detailed as I had hoped and the vocals were almost in the background. The clarity isn't as sharp as a K167.

Love the looks and comfort. No rattle here either.

The K167 are defintly more anayltical or sharper than the MDR1R. The bass is tighter in the 167 and more present.

I guess I need to really burn these in. My 167 have about 60 hrs on them and right now are a better sounding phone to me. Not as comfy, and not as sturdy, but better sound quality.

Ill be back once these get some burn in.
post #1493 of 2686

It seems most head-fiers have heard/own a pair of ath-m50's, yet i've only seen about 1.5 comparisons between the two.

Any chance someone that has both the mdr-1r and m50's could give some insight into how these two perform against each other? It would be appreciated.

post #1494 of 2686
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatNzGuy View Post

It seems most head-fiers have heard/own a pair of ath-m50's, yet i've only seen about 1.5 comparisons between the two.

Any chance someone that has both the mdr-1r and m50's could give some insight into how these two perform against each other? It would be appreciated.

I have both but I'm no good at explaining the differences lol. The MDR-1R is just a much better headphone overall, and it is actually quite neutral. Comfort for M-50s i would give a 5/10, but for MDR-1R i'd give a 10/10.

post #1495 of 2686
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatNzGuy View Post

It seems most head-fiers have heard/own a pair of ath-m50's, yet i've only seen about 1.5 comparisons between the two.

Any chance someone that has both the mdr-1r and m50's could give some insight into how these two perform against each other? It would be appreciated.

 

Auditioned the m50's once, they actually sounded pretty good. From memory, I reckon it has more detailed highs than the MDR-1r and the sound signature is quite different. Like a slight V-shaped signature if I'm not mistaken; and the MDR-1r is a lot more neutral. Between the two, I chose the MDR-1r for versatility, great Mids and smooth Highs.


Edited by d marc0 - 1/1/13 at 5:09pm
post #1496 of 2686

I can't believe how comfortable the MDR-1R is.

post #1497 of 2686
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuggetsPie View Post

I can't believe how comfortable the MDR-1R is.


No kidding, it doesn't seem that hard to make "really" comfortable phones, good looking phones, why there are so many uncomfortable, ugly ones then?

post #1498 of 2686

i dont have the jack rattle, but my right cup does make some creeks when i move my head sometimes.  anyone else with this?its loud inside the cup.  it can be heard over the music.

i let them break in some overnight to some Prodigy on repeat.  lots o bass....

 

will do the same tonight.  i have mixed feeling so far.

post #1499 of 2686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minarets View Post

Ok, just got mine. No break in, but listened unamped and amped with a e11. VERY different from the k167. I even A/B'd them but ill get to that in a min.

The first thing I noticed was the warmth. No different than what I had read about these. No nearly as detailed as I had hoped and the vocals were almost in the background. The clarity isn't as sharp as a K167.

Love the looks and comfort. No rattle here either.

The K167 are defintly more anayltical or sharper than the MDR1R. The bass is tighter in the 167 and more present.

I guess I need to really burn these in. My 167 have about 60 hrs on them and right now are a better sounding phone to me. Not as comfy, and not as sturdy, but better sound quality.

Ill be back once these get some burn in.


Out of the box, mine was pretty crappy as well. Took me about 2 weeks of pink noise before I can call it settled.

post #1500 of 2686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minarets View Post

i dont have the jack rattle, but my right cup does make some creeks when i move my head sometimes.  anyone else with this?its loud inside the cup.  it can be heard over the music.

i let them break in some overnight to some Prodigy on repeat.  lots o bass....

 

will do the same tonight.  i have mixed feeling so far.


Someone already suggested silicon spay for plastic to plastic applications. You can't imaging how much creak ATH high end phones produce.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R