Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R - Page 95

post #1411 of 2678

Would someone be kind enough to compare vocal presence/detail/transparency/resolution (with emphasis on female vocals as that is my preferred listening) of the MDR-1R compared to some of the other newer closed headphones such as M-100, K167, Mad Dogs and, I know this is a stretch, but Ultrasone Sig DJ or Yamaha Pro 500? 

 

I recently sampled the Velodyne V-True and thought they were comparable to the UE6000 with authoritative bass, reasonably detailed mids, but slightly dark highs that were a dealbreaker for a $400 "studio" headphone and am curious if the Sony can give me something in the mids I may or may not be missing with my M-100s along with reasonably extended highs and zero sibilance.  I am referencing the MDR-1R in particular as I don't have a need for bluetooth.

post #1412 of 2678

Puppy so cute smile.gif people seem to not be looking at dat gift guide(over-ear section) first for the 1R. Seen that the mad dogs > HD600. Maybe try the mdr- 7520's at $4000


If other people don't answer you posts you can always PM them :3

Somewhat veiled. Forward mids. Not your most furious and fastest cans. Jude says they're the comfiest and have more detail than the M-100's. Seen that acoustics with these guys are fine. Don't remember much about vocals. I think of resolution and detail as the same thing :s

post #1413 of 2678

veiled and  forward mids? thats like having a V shaped midcentric headphone in terms of analogy xD

post #1414 of 2678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyaems View Post

veiled and  forward mids? thats like having a V shaped midcentric headphone in terms of analogy xD

I'd actually argue that the HD600 sounds like veiled and forward mids. Mids are definitely presented first in the mix, but the resolution is warm and slightly grainy. A good sound though, it totally works.

post #1415 of 2678
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroicPenguin View Post

I'd actually argue that the HD600 sounds like veiled and forward mids. Mids are definitely presented first in the mix, but the resolution is warm and slightly grainy. A good sound though, it totally works.

Penguin you mean the 1R? Haha, I don't know what the hd600 sounds like at all. You must've auditioned the 1R's recently to put the z and fad ft/fs. Hope you get a trade soon! It'd take me a few months to get the money needed for those xD

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyaems View Post

veiled and  forward mids? thats like having a V shaped midcentric headphone in terms of analogy xD

Haha, never thought about thinking of it like that! Thanks for the new analogy!



Craigster: woops, I meant $400, not $4000 for the 7520 tongue.gif sorry.


Edited by MrViolin - 12/25/12 at 9:11pm
post #1416 of 2678
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrViolin View Post

Penguin you mean the 1R? Haha, I don't know what the hd600 sounds like at all. You must've auditioned the 1R's recently to put the z and fad ft/fs. Hope you get a trade soon! It'd take me a few months to get the money needed for those xD

 

 

Oh, no, I was just responding to Dyaems' comment. The HD600 has that odd sound signature. I wish someone would buy all of my used equipment haha. biggrin.gif I have a budget just for headphones in which I'm constantly buying and selling stuff, so I'm actually not using that much money.

 

And the Z1000 just sounds a bit off to me.... one of the guys in the Z1000 thread that said it sounded like a "hall" with vocals very isolated and front and center was right. It's very clear and engaging, but it's just not in sync with the music. Odd presentation.

 

Sorry for going off topic there though. Still want to try out the 1R badly. I really want a good, comfortable, closed portable so that I can use it when I don't want to stick IEMs in. This headphone'll be more of a "second option" of sorts, so I can sacrifice pure fidelity for comfort, looks, and a smooth sound sig. Hopefully that's these guys!

post #1417 of 2678

Boxing day sales in Australia and they had the MDR-1R for $209, couldn't say no!  I already have the MDR-1RNC and these are an entirely different beast.  Listening to some electronic music at the moment and it sounds amazing through them.  I find that the RNC's have a somewhat "digital" sound which while not bad takes a little while to adjust too when coming from other headphones, these don't :)

 

Anyway back to listening!

post #1418 of 2678

Are they good value for 209$? Compared to other headphones around this price? and what type of music are they good for?


Edited by McNuggetsPie - 12/26/12 at 5:58am
post #1419 of 2678
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuggetsPie View Post

Are they good value for 209$? Compared to other headphones around this price? Do they have a detachable cable, and what type of music are they good for?

 

Personally I think they're an absolute steal for $209.  The cable is detachable and they come with two cables (one iPhone compatible one, one normal).

 

Everything I've thrown at them so far sounds great, electronic & hip-hop in particular sound fantastic.  Probably the biggest point for me is that they're so damn comfy, I've been wearing them for hours and my ears feel great.  I only own HD25's & SRH840s at this price point and I'd take these over both of them on comfort, durability would go to HD25s (hence being my portable cans!).  Sound wise I haven't put enough hours into these to compare properly between the 3.

post #1420 of 2678
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombrisbane View Post

 

Personally I think they're an absolute steal for $209.  The cable is detachable and they come with two cables (one iPhone compatible one, one normal).

 

Everything I've thrown at them so far sounds great, electronic & hip-hop in particular sound fantastic.  Probably the biggest point for me is that they're so damn comfy, I've been wearing them for hours and my ears feel great.  I only own HD25's & SRH840s at this price point and I'd take these over both of them on comfort, durability would go to HD25s (hence being my portable cans!).  Sound wise I haven't put enough hours into these to compare properly between the 3.

Thanks, how long do you reckon the deal is going to last?

post #1421 of 2678
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuggetsPie View Post

Thanks, how long do you reckon the deal is going to last?

 

Ends on the 31st of December (JB Hifi), the store I bought them from only had 2 pairs in stock.

post #1422 of 2678
Dang, where in the states is this deal?

Sad face
post #1423 of 2678
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombrisbane View Post

I only own HD25's & SRH840s at this price point and I'd take these over both of them on comfort, durability would go to HD25s (hence being my portable cans!).  Sound wise I haven't put enough hours into these to compare properly between the 3.

---

I'd be interested in your comparison (I own both HD25 and SRH840).

Best

James
Edited by jamescodway - 12/26/12 at 7:49am
post #1424 of 2678
Edit: Well, I bought these brand new, apparently....Let's see how they turn out. I'll be selling either those or my K 167 whichever I don't like as much.
Edited by Minarets - 12/26/12 at 7:10pm
post #1425 of 2678
Also, these are 8ohms? How is that even possible? And if so, why aren't more companies doing it. Why does 32 ohm seem to be the iplayer benchmark. And if these are 8 ohm, why do most here say they sound better amped. I would thing of almost any can at hat low of impedence that unmapped would be great. Just curious.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R