Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R - Page 10

post #136 of 2725

Nice impression. Thank you a_recording & paddlebash. Look to be promising so far. Until then Rock on  atsmile.gif

post #137 of 2725

Neat. That's more or less the type of sound I would be hoping for.

post #138 of 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

 

With the above in mind, I do think that everyone can relax; the Sony's 1R's are not terrible bassy fart cannon Beats knockoffs. 

 

 

Amazing review a_recording. I really appreciate it.

 

So if you could only have one, You would have the 1R instead of the Z1000?

 

Btw... I just placed my order for a Z1000. The build quality and small form factor was just too sexy and tempting. I guess I'll have to own both when the 1R comes out. LOL evil_smiley.gif

post #139 of 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

I love this community!  The thing's not even out yet, and someone here's already crawled up inside it and come out the other side.  Thanks a_recording!  biggrin.gif


Seconded, the beauty of HF indeed!

post #140 of 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_recording View Post

 

As suggested by the earlier posted specs, the in built amp also turns on and off with the NC. Here's my biggest issue: while it's nice to hear more of your music with the NC on, the actual tone of the sound changes completely when the NC is turned on. Everything takes on a much harder edge, with a kind of irritating rawness to the sound. When you turn off the NC, the tone becomes much more like the 1R. However, my initial impression was that the RNC did not sound as good as the 1R, which would be expected.

 

 

Thanks a lot for your impressions. As a beginner in the area, why is it expected that the NC-enabled phones do not sound as good as the NC-less ones when NC is turned off? Because there is a larger drive to power (50 vs 40 mm) that doesn't perform as well with the amp off? I don't think I would be irritated much by a harder edge, but I just might consider buying the 1R instead.

 

Did you have any chance to determine if there were issues with distortion when NC was on at higher volumes (like it's been with other NC phones by Sony)?

 

Also - is it expected that the wireless 1RBT sound worse than the 1R as well? With an attached cord that is. I guess these will also be able to operate with power either on or off with different sounds.

post #141 of 2725

TBH, the FR graph tells a whole lot and matches a_recordings impressions very well:

 

 

I'd interpret this graph as very punchy (hill-shaped bass area with peak around 100Hz is usually a recipé for taut punchy more snappy bass) but not overhelming bass as it rolls off at the upper end off the bassrange soon enough and the roll-off in the subbass also helps whether or not the bass response capability of the driver itself is of the very capable type or not (which can't be seen from a FR graph), neither bright or warm tonal balance that shouldn't have problems with sibilance, a neutral sounding headphone with a bit midbass emphasis (a good amount punch but due to the shape it shouldn't be a problem with midrange bleed) and neutral mids and highs.

 

I do expect these other competitors to have similar kind of FR graphs with varying bass quantities mainly, seems to be a trend to put out bass emphasized but neutral mids/highs portable headphones atm. M100 for example I'd expect to have deeper extending bass and just a hair bit more / nearly touching the uppermost line at the 100Hz area if the Val's info about 8~9dB boost at 100Hz is accurate and there's been talk that it would be in-between LP2 and M80 in bass quantity which pretty much puts it there too.


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 9/4/12 at 2:01pm
post #142 of 2725
According to http://personalaudio.ru/review/full-size-headphones/naushniki_sony_1r_i_1rbt there is a slight difference in sound between the 1R and 1RBT due to different damping case with the 1R having a more pronounced upper bass. Would this be a good or a bad thing in this context or merely a matter of taste?
post #143 of 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by roma101 View Post

Great impressions a_recording that's very helpful info and I look forward to more impressions if you do get a pair. Too bad the 1RNC doesn't sound as good as the 1R when NC is off at least. I was hoping, for the price tag, that the SQ as well as NC was up to par.

And thanks for initial impressions paddlebash!

 

I would really have to do direct comparisons of the RNC and the R to be sure. The thing is that I think the NC mode on the 1RNC also engages the 'DSEE' sound enhancement function as well as the S-master amp. I just found it had this odd sound to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audionewbi View Post

thanks a-recording. Any news on the release date of the new walkm series in AUS?

Not that I know of... we just got to see the stuff announced at IFA. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabta View Post

Thanks for the impressions a_recording. Do you have any idea how the noise cancelling compares to the bose or any other NC headphone ( i have heard most of the big ones...)

 

As  far as I am concerned if it has better sound than the bose, which it sounds like it might, then I am in if the NC is good.

Unfortunately I don't have much experience with NC sets. The NC was very good to my ears and is supposedly Sony's best effort to date though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post

So, I got to ask. These seem like a suitable set for portable use?

 

I think I would describe them as 'enthusiast portable'. That is, they are full size (and quite generously full size in terms of width; I can't say in terms of earcup depth whether or not people with bigger ears would find their ears touching the driver) and if portability was your main priority I would say they are quite large and maybe not suitable for stuffing in a bag compared to say, the DT1350. However if you wanted good sound on the go, with an in-line remote and good comfort, then yes they would be suitable. I think they are around ATH-M50 size, but certainly a lot more comfortable then those with a better cable. People seem to walk around with Beats Pro's and find them 'portable' lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13 View Post

Amazing review a_recording. I really appreciate it.

 

So if you could only have one, You would have the 1R instead of the Z1000?

 

Btw... I just placed my order for a Z1000. The build quality and small form factor was just too sexy and tempting. I guess I'll have to own both when the 1R comes out. LOL evil_smiley.gif

Thanks! Not a review though, for 40 minutes lol. Just enough to know they weren't terrible.

 

Honestly I know you just ordered them, but if it were me I'd get the ZX700 and MDR-1R and skip the Z1000, sexy though it was. Unless you got a really good price for the Z1000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post

TBH, the FR graph tells a whole lot and matches a_recordings impressions very well:

 

 

I'd interpret this graph as very punchy (hill-shaped bass area with peak around 100Hz is usually a recipé for taut punchy more snappy bass) but not overhelming bass as it rolls off at the upper end off the bassrange soon enough and the roll-off in the subbass also helps whether or not the bass response capability of the driver itself is of the very capable type or not (which can't be seen from a FR graph), neither bright or warm tonal balance that shouldn't have problems with sibilance, a neutral sounding headphone with a bit midbass emphasis (a good amount punch but due to the shape it shouldn't be a problem with midrange bleed) and neutral mids and highs.

 

I do expect these other competitors to have similar kind of FR graphs with varying bass quantities mainly, seems to be a trend to put out bass emphasized but neutral mids/highs portable headphones atm. M100 for example I'd expect to have deeper extending bass and just a hair bit more / nearly touching the uppermost line at the 100Hz area if the Val's info about 8~9dB boost at 100Hz is accurate and there's been talk that it would be in-between LP2 and M80 in bass quantity which pretty much puts it there too.

 

Yeah I saw that graph... Honestly I wasn't sure how to read that graph. The graph depicts a mid-bass hump of about 8db on what I suppose is a 0ohm impedance out amp, which I'm not sure I heard. The treble region doesn't look like any graph of any headphone I've ever seen, since most headphones have a peak somewhere in the treble and I'm pretty sure the 1R's treble did not sound that different from other models I have listened to.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaelberg View Post

According to http://personalaudio.ru/review/full-size-headphones/naushniki_sony_1r_i_1rbt there is a slight difference in sound between the 1R and 1RBT due to different damping case with the 1R having a more pronounced upper bass. Would this be a good or a bad thing in this context or merely a matter of taste?

 

I have no idea if that's true! I didn't really try listening to the 1RBT though I was aware that there are physical differences between the two. I think though that more upper bass would probably make the set a little less neutral; probably a taste thing.

post #144 of 2725

Glad you managed to get more play time with the 1R a_recording ^^

I feel relived somehow, i was afraid my impressions of the 1R being slightly better than the Z1000 is just "me" being exposed to new toys.
Glad to see someone else having similar thoughts on the 1R, great write up there a_recording.

To add on to the 1RNC, it charges via microusb, something that should have been done ages but hey! Better late than never =D

I hope the community gets to try them soon

Guys, you are very much welcomed too! Glad i could contribute even if its just a teeny weeny bit XD.


Edited by Paddlebash - 9/4/12 at 6:04pm
post #145 of 2725

Can either of you comment on the soundstage of the 1Rs?  Do they sound closed in?  Thanks.

post #146 of 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marximus View Post

Can either of you comment on the soundstage of the 1Rs?  Do they sound closed in?  Thanks.

They sounded more open to me than the Z1000 but that's all I can really say with confidence...

post #147 of 2725

thanks a_recording for the impressions. maybe these sound like my cd900st but with more bass and less mids. and it looks beautiful to boot!

post #148 of 2725
I just head the ZX700 yesterday, that was really crap, harsh treble and no bass, so not all Sony's are good.

I definately need to hear the 1r before purchase.
post #149 of 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha10 View Post

I just head the ZX700 yesterday, that was really crap, harsh treble and no bass, so not all Sony's are good.
I definately need to hear the 1r before purchase.

 

i owned the ZX700 before and kinda like it, but we do have a really different perception on this matter.

for me the ZX700 was quite warm sounding with a lot mid bass and roll off treble though the vocal was a bit dry and quite heavy side.

 

but its true that not all Sony line up are that good :D

post #150 of 2725
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir7 View Post

 

i owned the ZX700 before and kinda like it, but we do have a really different perception on this matter.

for me the ZX700 was quite warm sounding with a lot mid bass and roll off treble though the vocal was a bit dry and quite heavy side.

 

but its true that not all Sony line up are that good :D

 

+1 on your findings.  

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony has new headphones, MDR-1R