I have both of these amps and I am not satisfied with the customized one. Is there anyone out there in Headfi land that has a good customized SRA 12s? How is it set up and what headphones are you using. I use my Stax Sigma Non Pro 6 pins on the non customized 12s. It is an amazing sound. Not so good when I switch the Sigmas to the customized 12s? Any and all comments are welcome.
Related Forum Threads
- How to know when using a stereo amplifier is better (or worse) than a 'headphone'... Last post on 2/27/15 at 1:03pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- 1st Greek Headphone Festival Last post on 9/14/14 at 4:48pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Stax SRA-12S electrostatic amplifier and preamp Last post on 12/11/13 at 12:50pm in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- FS: Stax SRA-12S *fully restored* Last post on 7/22/13 at 5:33am in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- Is it true that a portable amp can boost the bass on a pair of headphones? Last post on 7/29/13 at 10:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
First and foremost, a big thank you to those at Noble Audio who has sent me a unit to review. The Noble Audio customer service experience has been a joy to behold. Brannan is always on hand to deal...
I bought these from the limited selection available at an Apple Store, as I was heading on a trip the next day and needed some new IEMs for the plane ride. I read some reviews and noticed a lot of...
I got a sansa clip+ for my pair of custom iems. Really small, really portable, big nice clip to clip on something while training. Almost perfect sound, some audible noise (really really low, like...
overall nice headphones, with proper bass and sound and i am still burning it, rest of things i will discuss after complete burning process
I had to finally put my Shure E4Cs to rest and have been on the search for months to find a replacement. I like sub bass and a balanced sound and value build quality. My Shures were built tough...
- Headphone Impedance
Customized Stax SRA 12s vrs Non Customized Stax SRA 12s
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
we need to know what was customized.
That one is old enough that the original output transistors are
not and have not been available for some time. So if parts
were replaced its just not going to sound the same.
Customized is meaningless to us as what was changed? I have two of these amps here, the original Japan only SRA-10S and the later multi voltage SRA-12S and while they are supposed to be identical they are very, very different. Input and phono boards are completely different, different input transistors on the amp channels and extensive changes done to the PSU. These were just normal production changes but I've never seen any official work done on these amps by Stax. Some might have been altered for use in studios as they were supposed to be used with the SR-X phones and thus for monitoring.
Thanks for the responses so far. I honestly don't know what was changed internally. Externally the front panel has a new volume nob that is worse. It clicks and you can't set the volume as exactly as on the normal one. Additionally, One of the selections of Reverse and or Stereo doesn't work. The rear panel looks the same on both units. All I know is that the sound is so so. It is as if the customized one is working in mono with no definition.
- Customized Stax SRA 12s vrs Non Customized Stax SRA 12s
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 45 seconds ago
- › Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged) 1 minute ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+ SS Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post... 1 minute ago
- › The NEW Cayin C5 portable power house. 2 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 2 minutes ago
- › Question about playing particular song 2 minutes ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 3 minutes ago
- › "The Lab" 4 minutes ago
- › The all new Continental Dual Mono 4 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 8 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio Savant by uchihaitachi
- › RHA T10i by zim2411
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8 GB MP3 Player (Black) by ardacer
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by sagar khichi
- › RHA MA750i by Onthecoast
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by YoYo JoKeR
- › Brainwavz BLU-100 Bluetooth IEMs by JoeDoe
- › Edifier Hi-Fi Stereo Headphone (H180 Black) by sharonbava
- › Ultimate Ears 200vi Noise-Isolating Headset, Blue by dkshifat
- › T-Peos Altone 150 in-ear monitor with detachable cables, mic and... by Hisoundfi
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2