I have both of these amps and I am not satisfied with the customized one. Is there anyone out there in Headfi land that has a good customized SRA 12s? How is it set up and what headphones are you using. I use my Stax Sigma Non Pro 6 pins on the non customized 12s. It is an amazing sound. Not so good when I switch the Sigmas to the customized 12s? Any and all comments are welcome.
Related Forum Threads
- How to know when using a stereo amplifier is better (or worse) than a 'headphone'... Last post on 2/27/15 at 1:03pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- 1st Greek Headphone Festival Last post on 9/14/14 at 4:48pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Stax SRA-12S electrostatic amplifier and preamp Last post on 12/11/13 at 12:50pm in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- FS: Stax SRA-12S *fully restored* Last post on 7/22/13 at 5:33am in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- Is it true that a portable amp can boost the bass on a pair of headphones? Last post on 7/29/13 at 10:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
About Me I stumbled into the head-fi world when my itchy fingers picked up a Shure SE846 back in January’14. Since then, it has been a long journey, and I’m only just starting. Exploring the...
Introduction: As a well-known cable maker company, Forza AudioWorks is located in Poland. Its CEO and founder Matthew, a good English speaker and known as ‘’Matez’’ on Head-Fi, is a nice guy to...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION My first introduction to Bluetooth earphones came with the Brainwavz Blu-100, and whilst...
Hi my name is Andrew Reddog Jones, I have been into this fantastic hobby for almost two years. I mostly take care of my mother and sometimes fix vcrs. Today I plan on doing a review oh HIFIMAN's...
Suprisingly, this cheap in ear jlab sounded good enough for me to come here and get into better sound.
- Headphone Impedance
Customized Stax SRA 12s vrs Non Customized Stax SRA 12s
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
we need to know what was customized.
That one is old enough that the original output transistors are
not and have not been available for some time. So if parts
were replaced its just not going to sound the same.
Customized is meaningless to us as what was changed? I have two of these amps here, the original Japan only SRA-10S and the later multi voltage SRA-12S and while they are supposed to be identical they are very, very different. Input and phono boards are completely different, different input transistors on the amp channels and extensive changes done to the PSU. These were just normal production changes but I've never seen any official work done on these amps by Stax. Some might have been altered for use in studios as they were supposed to be used with the SR-X phones and thus for monitoring.
Thanks for the responses so far. I honestly don't know what was changed internally. Externally the front panel has a new volume nob that is worse. It clicks and you can't set the volume as exactly as on the normal one. Additionally, One of the selections of Reverse and or Stereo doesn't work. The rear panel looks the same on both units. All I know is that the sound is so so. It is as if the customized one is working in mono with no definition.
- Customized Stax SRA 12s vrs Non Customized Stax SRA 12s
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › V-MODA CROSSFADE WIRELESS: Exclusive Preview, Videos,... 26 seconds ago
- › Audeze LCD-4 1 minute ago
- › Chord Electronics - The Shard Event 2 minutes ago
- › NEW! SONY NW-ZX100 DAP 3 minutes ago
- › Where is the degradation in the signal path and how do I know 4 minutes ago
- › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X... 4 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 6 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 7 minutes ago
- › Need help finding best headphones/IEMs for hifi edm 8 minutes ago
- › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2 8 minutes ago
- › FiiO EX1 Nanotech Titanium Diaphragm In-Ear Monitors by Tobias89
- › Forza Audioworks IEM Cables by MikePortnoy
- › Axgio Sprint Sound Isolating Sport Stereo Bluetooth 4.1 Headphone,... by Brooko
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by reddog
- › JLab JBuds NEON Metal In-Ear Earbuds with Universal Mic for iPhone... by Zantrill
- › WooAudio WA7 Fireflies by JoeDoe
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk by earfonia
- › HAVIT® HV-H91DJ Professional Stereo Studio Dj Series Headphones... by Vividcard
- › SoundFoundations Barracuda PowerMax Elite by YoYo JoKeR
- › Pro-Ject Audio - Hear it One - Audiophile stereo headphone - Black by ForShure
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2