I have both of these amps and I am not satisfied with the customized one. Is there anyone out there in Headfi land that has a good customized SRA 12s? How is it set up and what headphones are you using. I use my Stax Sigma Non Pro 6 pins on the non customized 12s. It is an amazing sound. Not so good when I switch the Sigmas to the customized 12s? Any and all comments are welcome.
Related Forum Threads
- How to know when using a stereo amplifier is better (or worse) than a 'headphone'... Last post on 2/27/15 at 1:03pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- 1st Greek Headphone Festival Last post on 9/14/14 at 4:48pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Stax SRA-12S electrostatic amplifier and preamp Last post on 12/11/13 at 12:50pm in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- FS: Stax SRA-12S *fully restored* Last post on 7/22/13 at 5:33am in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- Is it true that a portable amp can boost the bass on a pair of headphones? Last post on 7/29/13 at 10:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
This review is for Master & Dynamic MH30 over the ear. My name is Adam I am a 38 years old headphone and iem collector. I don't consider myself an audiophile but have been into music and audio...
This little player can take a beating. I am not careful with this device and I've dropped it many times on all types of surfaces and it keeps going. I have had my player for nearly 3 years now and...
I've always looked into "budget-fi" since I've got more interested in proper headphones thus making me get the CALs, Takstar Pro 80s and now the Somic MH463. I will be doing some direct comparisons...
I have been looking for a desktop amp/dac for a while now as I have not had one for the last few years (last desktop amp was a Naim headline 2 with NPSC power supply which was okay but nothing...
Very strong and impactfull bass, great build quality. High input power. It is very sensible, has a very loud volume. Very good for DJ monitoring. Not confortable! Very fatiguing. It makes a...
- Headphone Impedance
Customized Stax SRA 12s vrs Non Customized Stax SRA 12s
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
we need to know what was customized.
That one is old enough that the original output transistors are
not and have not been available for some time. So if parts
were replaced its just not going to sound the same.
Customized is meaningless to us as what was changed? I have two of these amps here, the original Japan only SRA-10S and the later multi voltage SRA-12S and while they are supposed to be identical they are very, very different. Input and phono boards are completely different, different input transistors on the amp channels and extensive changes done to the PSU. These were just normal production changes but I've never seen any official work done on these amps by Stax. Some might have been altered for use in studios as they were supposed to be used with the SR-X phones and thus for monitoring.
Thanks for the responses so far. I honestly don't know what was changed internally. Externally the front panel has a new volume nob that is worse. It clicks and you can't set the volume as exactly as on the normal one. Additionally, One of the selections of Reverse and or Stereo doesn't work. The rear panel looks the same on both units. All I know is that the sound is so so. It is as if the customized one is working in mono with no definition.
- Customized Stax SRA 12s vrs Non Customized Stax SRA 12s
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 54 seconds ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 2 minutes ago
- › MHDT Paradisea(+) Owners Club 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip 5 minutes ago
- › Audio-GD Master 9 6 minutes ago
- › DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . Lurker0 FW Mod... 6 minutes ago
- › VSonic VSD5 Impressions/Appreciation Thread. VSonic's answer to... 6 minutes ago
- › NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton? 7 minutes ago
- › Cambridge meet impressions, 25 April 2015 8 minutes ago
- › Master & Dynamic MH30 On Ear Headphone - Black by acain
- › SanDisk SDMX22-004G-A57K Sansa Clip Zip 4 GB, Black by kite7
- › Somic HD MH463 Open-air Dynamic Pro Headphones (Black) by weirdek
- › Chord Hugo by FortisFlyer75
- › Technics RP-DH1200 DJ Headphones by Johannus
- › Bravo Audio S1 Class A Deluxe Headphone Amplifier with Op-amp by YoYo JoKeR
- › MEElectronics A151P Gen.2 Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors by YoYo JoKeR
- › PSB M4U 1 by squee116
- › Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro Limited Edition 32 Ohm by goropeza
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by rigodeni
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2