I have both of these amps and I am not satisfied with the customized one. Is there anyone out there in Headfi land that has a good customized SRA 12s? How is it set up and what headphones are you using. I use my Stax Sigma Non Pro 6 pins on the non customized 12s. It is an amazing sound. Not so good when I switch the Sigmas to the customized 12s? Any and all comments are welcome.
Related Forum Threads
- Stax SRA-12S electrostatic amplifier and preamp Last post on 12/11/13 at 12:50pm in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- FS: Stax SRA-12S *fully restored* Last post on 7/22/13 at 5:33am in Amplification For Sale / Trade
- Is it true that a portable amp can boost the bass on a pair of headphones? Last post on 7/29/13 at 10:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
- 6SN7--continuing on a new thread Last post on 3/22/13 at 11:11am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Mysterious 12AU7/ECC82 Vacuum Tubes Last post on 4/7/13 at 1:22pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
i am giving this review after a month use, 30+ hours burning its still improving. at the first use found these a crap they were sounding low on my phone they are not that impact that i was looking...
For the prize, these sound amazing! I was extremly happy about my purchase until the headband broke. I only used them normally, with no extreme stretching at all. It is made of fragile plastic....
If you want to read me ramble on more about haptics and finish quality, head to Ω image's review. I know it is a year on and this earphone is no longer en vogue. However, I reviewed it. Take...
Now let me start by saying that at the time I purchased these Delta's, I was looking for a step up to my Philips SHE3580's to get a better quality budget iem. I have just sold my JVC FX40's and my...
I've completed my review on this headphone and it is currently waiting to go live elsewhere first. After a few days, it will be posted here. This headphone is a real winner. I am truly amazed by...
- Headphone Impedance
Customized Stax SRA 12s vrs Non Customized Stax SRA 12s
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
we need to know what was customized.
That one is old enough that the original output transistors are
not and have not been available for some time. So if parts
were replaced its just not going to sound the same.
Customized is meaningless to us as what was changed? I have two of these amps here, the original Japan only SRA-10S and the later multi voltage SRA-12S and while they are supposed to be identical they are very, very different. Input and phono boards are completely different, different input transistors on the amp channels and extensive changes done to the PSU. These were just normal production changes but I've never seen any official work done on these amps by Stax. Some might have been altered for use in studios as they were supposed to be used with the SR-X phones and thus for monitoring.
Thanks for the responses so far. I honestly don't know what was changed internally. Externally the front panel has a new volume nob that is worse. It clicks and you can't set the volume as exactly as on the normal one. Additionally, One of the selections of Reverse and or Stereo doesn't work. The rear panel looks the same on both units. All I know is that the sound is so so. It is as if the customized one is working in mono with no definition.
- Customized Stax SRA 12s vrs Non Customized Stax SRA 12s
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › How to get uncompressed music onto an IPhone, IPod, or PC? 10 seconds ago
- › My old Solo HDs are lying around... what should I do with them? 1 minute ago
- › JVC HA-S400 or akg k518 1 minute ago
- › Nexus 5 Sound Quality? 2 minutes ago
- › FS: Beyerdynamic DT1350 [Priced to sell!] 4 minutes ago
- › FS/FT: Sennheiser HD-800 w/ Headphone Lounge Octa-Conductor OCC... 4 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 6 minutes ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 8 minutes ago
- › Alessandro MS1000 and MS Ultimate - DIY & modding [56K warning] 8 minutes ago
- › Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition Review 9 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 439 Headphones Black by sagar khichi
- › AKG K520 by Veggietech
- › AudioFly AF78 by shigzeo
- › Brainwavz Delta by IEMagnet01
- › NAD Electronics VISO HP50 Noise-Isolating Over-Ear Headphones by 24Bit
- › Astell & Kern AK120 by 24Bit
- › Effect Audio Thor cable by average_joe
- › Heir Audio Tzar 350 by alpha421
- › Panasonic RP-HC720-K Over Ear Headphones Noise Canceling 95% by oostrov
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by tdockweiler
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe