or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread - Page 27

post #391 of 4277
Originally Posted by PorkStore View Post

The Westone 4 is warm, but unfortunately so much so that it is bulky sounding....I would say the low mids especially in the 250hz to 400hz region are present in an alarming ratio relative to 1khz and this facet causes the device to sound muddy; that obfuscates the imaging , stereo field and kick drum/ bass guitar timbre. In comparison, the ue900 extends far lower into the sub bass region, is less muddy and opens up the stereo field to a significant degree....the lower mids are slightly enhanced which gives the warmth and fullness that each vocalist wants to hear, yet those frequencies are supplied in a fair ratio with other mids and highs so as to not mask their presence.....the ue900 high frequencies extend further than the Westone 4 banger and add a glistening and presence that really brings the space around each instrument to light and allows the appropriate reverb tails to be heard....not a reference, but a bit more enhanced....not quite like a loudness function though....the highs on the ue900, to me, are spectacular and better than any iem I have ever heard.
In comparison to triple fi 10, the ue900 is more generous n the low mids which give rise to an extra warmth, but also it has further high frequency and low frequency extension....clearly the highs from 5k up are more present and add air and instrument clarity and depth. This is not a low frequency mondo boosted device, but the extension seems almost flat down to below anything I can hear which gives a visceral and physical component to the sound and experience.
My 0.02, subjective as it may be.

I agree, too much lower mids on the 250-400hz in the W4, too thick in relation the recording, the midhigh dips are a bit of a shame as well, though to a lesser extent. You know the TF10 is one of the rare BAs to have sufficient rumble, but I suspect most can't insert them well enough, far too bulky (I could only achieve it by holding on to the housing LOL). Good to hear about the extension on the subbass and higher treble on these 900s, it's quite a feat as the TF10 was no slacker. The W4 doesn't have outstanding extension on both ends considering the amount of drivers used, still quite good though don't get me wrong but there's more potential. 


Edited by Inks - 9/6/12 at 10:48pm
post #392 of 4277
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post


Well that's interesting, would you say the upper mids transition into the highs favorably well? No overly energetic splashiness in the lower treble or upper mids to make the IEM overly sibilant when the singer hits the S's or sound tinny when the high notes are hit?

 

Yes, actually the transition is very smooth. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkStore View Post

The Westone 4 is warm, but unfortunately so much so that it is bulky sounding....I would say the low mids especially in the 250hz to 400hz region are present in an alarming ratio relative to 1khz and this facet causes the device to sound muddy; that obfuscates the imaging , stereo field and kick drum/ bass guitar timbre. In comparison, the ue900 extends far lower into the sub bass region, is less muddy and opens up the stereo field to a significant degree....the lower mids are slightly enhanced which gives the warmth and fullness that each vocalist wants to hear, yet those frequencies are supplied in a fair ratio with other mids and highs so as to not mask their presence.....the ue900 high frequencies extend further than the Westone 4 banger and add a glistening and presence that really brings the space around each instrument to light and allows the appropriate reverb tails to be heard....not a reference, but a bit more enhanced....not quite like a loudness function though....the highs on the ue900, to me, are spectacular and better than any iem I have ever heard.
In comparison to triple fi 10, the ue900 is more generous n the low mids which give rise to an extra warmth, but also it has further high frequency and low frequency extension....clearly the highs from 5k up are more present and add air and instrument clarity and depth. This is not a low frequency mondo boosted device, but the extension seems almost flat down to below anything I can hear which gives a visceral and physical component to the sound and experience.
My 0.02, subjective as it may be.

 

I do agree that the W4 could be too warm at times.  I didn't get muddy out of it, but a slight veil.  I think they both extend pretty well, the 900s are a little more linear, which creates the illusion of much better extension, so I'll agree with you on that note.  I felt that the W4 had slightly better extension. 

post #393 of 4277
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

 

Yes, actually the transition is very smooth. 

 

 

I do agree that the W4 could be too warm at times.  I didn't get muddy out of it, but a slight veil.  I think they both extend pretty well, the 900s are a little more linear, which creates the illusion of much better extension, so I'll agree with you on that note.  I felt that the W4 had slightly better extension. 

Between the W4 and the UE 900, which do you think have more accurate timbre for acoustic instruments ?

post #394 of 4277
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

 

I feel sorry for the reviewer :(


Screw that I would not take my Custom IEMs to the beach lol. But if I did they would never lever leave my ears period :).

post #395 of 4277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma Jones View Post

Between the W4 and the UE 900, which do you think have more accurate timbre for acoustic instruments ?

 

Ooh...  That's a tough one...  It's really close, I'll tell you that right now.  I'm actually going to need more time with that one :)  Both have this as a strong strength (and L-U-V, love acoustics ;)).  Hope you don't mind waiting until morning XD

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


Screw that I would not take my Custom IEMs to the beach lol. But if I did they would never lever leave my ears period :).

 

They'd either be in my ears, or in a case in my bag. 

post #396 of 4277

Still would be risky at the beach. People steal at the beach. Unless you got someone by it at all times. Still not worth the risk IMO.
 

post #397 of 4277
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

Still would be risky at the beach. People steal at the beach. Unless you got someone by it at all times. Still not worth the risk IMO.
 

 

LOL...  Even if it wasn't in a bag, people would think it's a hearing aid and leave it alone :p

 

Teaser time!!!

 

 

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

post #398 of 4277

lol I think I've gotten snickers before for wearing my IEMs out in public. I could care less what they think. I guess in a way you are right and its better for them to think otherwise. Ignorance is bliss and safer for us that way. Then again I'm ready to roll if I have to protect whats mine ;). Pics looks nice however I kinda wish they could move away from that cheap plastic look that the TF10s have. Doesn't look sturdy at all.


Edited by lee730 - 9/7/12 at 1:13am
post #399 of 4277

UE900 form factor reminds me of IE8 which I could NOT get to fit.  Can anyone comment on similarity?  Thx

post #400 of 4277

Does anyone know if these have started showing up in Apple retail stores yet?  or is it just online?

 
post #401 of 4277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burma Jones View Post

Between the W4 and the UE 900, which do you think have more accurate timbre for acoustic instruments ?

 

OK, I'm going to have to say that the upped bass on the W4 helps a bit with the timbre of things like acoustic guitars.  Other than that, it's basically neck and neck...  This is still a very close, and tough choice for me though. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

UE900 form factor reminds me of IE8 which I could NOT get to fit.  Can anyone comment on similarity?  Thx

 

I haven't heard or worn the IE8, but they look like they have a diamond shape to them.  The 900s are trapezoidal in shape with a larger rounding to corners.  I have no issues with fit, it's very ergnonomic. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidPulse View Post

Does anyone know if these have started showing up in Apple retail stores yet?  or is it just online?

 

 

They are still up for pre-order on UE's site.  I don't think they are at Apple Stores yet. 

 

____

 

Update on sound.  Treble has settled down a bit.  They are now on par with the W4 quantity-wise.  Basically think a W4 with better midrange detailing (due to a loss in bass quantity), but slightly smaller sound stage.  The W4s still seem to have slightly better extension and depth though (to my ears).  It might be the 900's quicker decay though that creates an illusion of less extension. 


Edited by tinyman392 - 9/7/12 at 9:53am
post #402 of 4277
post #403 of 4277
Quote:

Yes, I think most of us are aware of this. It's available online, doesn't mean it's hit retail yet.
post #404 of 4277
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

 

OK, I'm going to have to say that the upped bass on the W4 helps a bit with the timbre of things like acoustic guitars.  Other than that, it's basically neck and neck...  This is still a very close, and tough choice for me though. 

 

How about violins/cellos? I once auditioned the W4 and the timbre of the strings on them left a really good impression.

post #405 of 4277
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

 

LOL...  Even if it wasn't in a bag, people would think it's a hearing aid and leave it alone :p

 

Teaser time!!!

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Hmmm, looks an awful lot like the connectors shure uses. I had nothing but problems with my se315 and my se535. :(

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread