or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread - Page 26

post #376 of 4277
They look amazing. Not sure yet if I should buy Tf10s or just save up for these UE 900s. I'll see if there's a huuuuge difference
And btw, there's another review on the apple's listing of the 900s....
post #377 of 4277
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

I will do this when they are both burned in.  That said, we do have to wait for the 900s to break in a bit before you'll get comparisons.  I'm just creating a queue for now.  So far:
  • W4(R)
  • Heir Audio

Don't forget the pfe's smily_headphones1.gif.
post #378 of 4277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerapist View Post

They look amazing. Not sure yet if I should buy Tf10s or just save up for these UE 900s. I'll see if there's a huuuuge difference
And btw, there's another review on the apple's listing of the 900s....

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esuhgb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

I will do this when they are both burned in.  That said, we do have to wait for the 900s to break in a bit before you'll get comparisons.  I'm just creating a queue for now.  So far:
  • W4(R)
  • Heir Audio
Don't forget the pfe's smily_headphones1.gif.

 

Added to the queue of comparisons...  So so far, I have:

  • Westone W4R
  • Heir Audio 3.Ai
  • Phonak PFE 232

 

Let me know if you want anything else...  I should be able to nail out some comparisons early next week, maybe over the weekend :)

 

Listening to them now.  Some slight cable problems :(  I can get rid of it readjusting the cable, but it can still cut on my right side.  Hopefully it's some dust or something that isn't moving too easily XP  Tried reinserting, didn't fix it...  I'll play with it.


Edited by tinyman392 - 9/6/12 at 8:33pm
post #379 of 4277

Played with the cable a bit, cleaned the contacts with an IEM cleaning tool (not included).  Seems to have fixed the problem :)  Fingers crossed though. 

 

First impressions show a very balanced IEM, nothing close to what I'd consider a V shape.  That said, nothing like I've read the TF10s to sound like.  I can say it's balanced, but not quite neutral yet. Like Joe, I'd agree that it can be seen as slightly warm of neutral beerchug.gif

post #380 of 4277
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

 

 

Added to the queue of comparisons...  So so far, I have:

  • Westone W4R
  • Heir Audio 3.Ai
  • Phonak PFE 232

 

Let me know if you want anything else...  I should be able to nail out some comparisons early next week, maybe over the weekend :)

 

Listening to them now.  Some slight cable problems :(  I can get rid of it readjusting the cable, but it can still cut on my right side.  Hopefully it's some dust or something that isn't moving too easily XP  Tried reinserting, didn't fix it...  I'll play with it.

 

 
I know this is out of league, but if u have ever heard, can u like compare it a lil bit, i want to know if its worth extra 220 from gr07, but if u cannot thats okay because i've heard the westone 4 so i still remember how its sound. will decide to buy or not after reading your review in next week i hope..=)
 
post #381 of 4277
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

Played with the cable a bit, cleaned the contacts with an IEM cleaning tool (not included).  Seems to have fixed the problem :)  Fingers crossed though. 

 

First impressions show a very balanced IEM, nothing close to what I'd consider a V shape.  That said, nothing like I've read the TF10s to sound like.  I can say it's balanced, but not quite neutral yet. Like Joe, I'd agree that it can be seen as slightly warm of neutral beerchug.gif


Warm as in W4 warm or just a very slight touch of warm as in the very close to neutral Sony EX600? The suspense is killing me. At least I now know it's not just another slightly finely tuned tri-fi.

post #382 of 4277

Once again, Head-Fi is making companies like UE very very rich because I WANT ONE NOW... I'm so curious grrr.. Maybe they introduced their CIEM quality in their new UE900 *drool*. I have to decide between an Audio Engine A5+ speaker or UE900... I won't be happy with neither so I must make a decision...

post #383 of 4277
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post


Warm as in W4 warm or just a very slight touch of warm as in the very close to neutral Sony EX600? The suspense is killing me. At least I now know it's not just another slightly finely tuned tri-fi.

 

Haven't heard the EX600 :(  W4 is warmer than the UE9s.  When I say slightly, I mean slightly.  I myself could classify it as a (more) neutral IEM right now.  There is a slight dip in the midrange (between low-mids and mids) instrumentals that makes me say it's balanced (as opposed to neutral).  You also have to remember, I have tight bounds on what I consider neutral. 


Edited by tinyman392 - 9/6/12 at 9:31pm
post #384 of 4277
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon1125 View Post

 

 
I know this is out of league, but if u have ever heard, can u like compare it a lil bit, i want to know if its worth extra 220 from gr07, but if u cannot thats okay because i've heard the westone 4 so i still remember how its sound. will decide to buy or not after reading your review in next week i hope..=)
 

 

I have not heard the GR07.  I did try contacting VSonic directly, but unfortunately, emails never got replied to :(

 

Information regarding fit.  I have small ears by the way.  They don't fit flush with my ears (the Aurisonics are the most flush for my ears with the memory wire guided correctly), the Heir Audio is second most flush.  They are ergonomic though and very comfy.  I actually like the swivel cable; I think it adds a little towards the fit as well making the memory wire less of a hassle,  That may just be me though. 


Edited by tinyman392 - 9/6/12 at 9:33pm
post #385 of 4277
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

 

 

Added to the queue of comparisons...  So so far, I have:

  • Westone W4R
  • Heir Audio 3.Ai
  • Phonak PFE 232

 

Let me know if you want anything else...  I should be able to nail out some comparisons early next week, maybe over the weekend :)

 

Listening to them now.  Some slight cable problems :(  I can get rid of it readjusting the cable, but it can still cut on my right side.  Hopefully it's some dust or something that isn't moving too easily XP  Tried reinserting, didn't fix it...  I'll play with it.

 

 

Hmmm....I was having some problems with right channel cutout too.  Need to look more into this.

post #386 of 4277
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monkey View Post

 

 

Hmmm....I was having some problems with right channel cutout too.  Need to look more into this.

 

They should.  I've contacted Logitech Media Relations about it though (tonight).  I think it's gone now...  Hopefully :P

post #387 of 4277
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

 

Haven't heard the EX600 :(  W4 is warmer than the UE9s.  When I say slightly, I mean slightly.  I myself could classify it as a (more) neutral IEM right now.  There is a slight dip in the midrange (between low-mids and mids) instrumentals that makes me say it's balanced (as opposed to neutral).  You also have to remember, I have tight bounds on what I consider neutral. 


Well that's interesting, would you say the upper mids transition into the highs favorably well? No overly energetic splashiness in the lower treble or upper mids to make the IEM overly sibilant when the singer hits the S's or sound tinny when the high notes are hit?


Edited by DigitalFreak - 9/6/12 at 9:55pm
post #388 of 4277

I just read Joe's comparisons and the UE900 sound like an IEM that I'd like to get.  Just after I sold off most of my IEM's (basically all but the R-50) I'm going right back to collecting more as I just got the e-Q5 (love them) and have the FA Heaven IV on the way and now UE puts these out, curse this addiction of mine.

post #389 of 4277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Kid View Post

I just read Joe's comparisons and the UE900 sound like an IEM that I'd like to get.  Just after I sold off most of my IEM's (basically all but the R-50) I'm going right back to collecting more as I just got the e-Q5 (love them) and have the FA Heaven IV on the way and now UE puts these out, curse this addiction of mine.

exactl why i hate this forum!!! i absolutely love my tf10s... and after reading that... pretty much had the same feelings. now its time to hope for that black friday deal! :D  

pretty sure i see some UE900s in my future i think paring it with my little RSA dac/amp should be fun!

post #390 of 4277
The Westone 4 is warm, but unfortunately so much so that it is bulky sounding....I would say the low mids especially in the 250hz to 400hz region are present in an alarming ratio relative to 1khz and this facet causes the device to sound muddy; that obfuscates the imaging , stereo field and kick drum/ bass guitar timbre. In comparison, the ue900 extends far lower into the sub bass region, is less muddy and opens up the stereo field to a significant degree....the lower mids are slightly enhanced which gives the warmth and fullness that each vocalist wants to hear, yet those frequencies are supplied in a fair ratio with other mids and highs so as to not mask their presence.....the ue900 high frequencies extend further than the Westone 4 banger and add a glistening and presence that really brings the space around each instrument to light and allows the appropriate reverb tails to be heard....not a reference, but a bit more enhanced....not quite like a loudness function though....the highs on the ue900, to me, are spectacular and better than any iem I have ever heard.

In comparison to triple fi 10, the ue900 is more generous n the low mids which give rise to an extra warmth, but also it has further high frequency and low frequency extension....clearly the highs from 5k up are more present and add air and instrument clarity and depth. This is not a low frequency mondo boosted device, but the extension seems almost flat down to below anything I can hear which gives a visceral and physical component to the sound and experience.

My 0.02, subjective as it may be.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread