Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread - Page 154

post #2296 of 3803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveed84 View Post
 

Forgive me for my lack of ability to accurately describe what I'm experiencing (I'm sure I won't use the proper terminology)

 

I just upgraded from the TF10s to the UE 900. The fit is OK, the sound is detailed and clear, the bass level is totally acceptable, but there's two problems I have with them:

 

1. The treble sparkle is greatly reduced on the UE 900. I'm a treble junky and really like the detailed, bright sound of Grados, and the triple.fis were fantastic as well (I only upgraded because one of the drivers is dying). These sound far too flat for my tastes, and I end up EQing the treble back in, which works well enough.

 

2. I don't know what it is, maybe it's that the mids are more prominent, but they sound bloated, loud, to the point where it actually hurts my ears! I can't listen to piano tracks like "Death and All His Friends" or "Atlas" by Coldplay without the piano sounding really booming, not without turning the volume way down, but then I can't hear all the other stuff that I really enjoy. Am I just listening too loud? Will this go away with burn-in?

 

No it won't go away but let you ears adjust over several days and you should get use to it.  The UE900 is not forward sounding at all so that is still a little odd.  

 

Yea, W3 may have been the better choice.  It is like TF10 on steriods.


Edited by Spyro - 9/18/13 at 6:39pm
post #2297 of 3803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveed84 View Post

Forgive me for my lack of ability to accurately describe what I'm experiencing (I'm sure I won't use the proper terminology)



 



I just upgraded from the TF10s to the UE 900. The fit is OK, the sound is detailed and clear, the bass level is totally acceptable, but there's two problems I have with them:



 



1. The treble sparkle is greatly reduced on the UE 900. I'm a treble junky and really like the detailed, bright sound of Grados, and the triple.fis were fantastic as well (I only upgraded because one of the drivers is dying). These sound far too flat for my tastes, and I end up EQing the treble back in, which works well enough.



 



2. I don't know what it is, maybe it's that the mids are more prominent, but they sound bloated, loud, to the point where it actually hurts my ears! I can't listen to piano tracks like "Death and All His Friends" or "Atlas" by Coldplay without the piano sounding really booming, not without turning the volume way down, but then I can't hear all the other stuff that I really enjoy. Am I just listening too loud? Will this go away with burn-in?


 



Yape, my triplefi driver failed too, the right treble armature on a good day works but often just dead silence. That's the reason I got UE900.

Only thing I don't really like about UE900 is the comply form, they are bit short. the housing fits perfectly for my ears.

I might get Westone 4R as it's on sale at Amazon for $319 USD.
post #2298 of 3803

Well my replacement blue VI cable arrived from Logitech and the audio still cuts out when fiddling with the jack,,, I tried the same cable with the Shure earphones so it's definitely a problem with the cable.

 

Really bad cables...

 

What shall I do?

 

FYI the numbers at the jack for both cables are 12 47 & 12 38.


Edited by smsmasters - 9/19/13 at 12:10pm
post #2299 of 3803
If your having trouble just return it, and get a westone 4r or wait for the Sony xba h3 or wait till they announce a fix
post #2300 of 3803
Quote:
Originally Posted by TealRice View Post

If your having trouble just return it, and get a westone 4r or wait for the Sony xba h3 or wait till they announce a fix

 

Well I'll see what Logitech have to say. This is already my 2nd blue VI cable replacement :mad:

post #2301 of 3803
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsmasters View Post
 

 

Well I'll see what Logitech have to say. This is already my 2nd blue VI cable replacement :mad:

 

so the problem with these are with the Ue900s are the cable? so they would be fine if i used something like a westone cable?

post #2302 of 3803
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPICFAILXD View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsmasters View Post

 

Well I'll see what Logitech have to say. This is already my 2nd blue VI cable replacement mad.gif

so the problem with these are with the Ue900s are the cable? so they would be fine if i used something like a westone cable?

The problem is the connectors on the cable/housings. Shure uses the same connector. Westone uses a standard 2 pin cable, a "Westone-style" so you can only use UE stock, Shure stock or aftermarket cables with THOSE connectors. The round one. No pins.
post #2303 of 3803
Lol. This thread has become an ultimate ears 900 un-appreciation thread
post #2304 of 3803
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonYeol View Post


The problem is the connectors on the cable/housings. Shure uses the same connector. Westone uses a standard 2 pin cable, a "Westone-style" so you can only use UE stock, Shure stock or aftermarket cables with THOSE connectors. The round one. No pins.

so if i change the cable to a shure cable, it won't have any problems? this is still pretty bad for a 350$ pair of earphones.

post #2305 of 3803

If the problem is down at the jack, it should be ok. But I'm not 100% Shure ;) no but jokes aside, I don't know if Shure cables fit UE900. They should do but I've never tried myself as I don't own any Shure iems.

post #2306 of 3803
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonYeol View Post



The problem is the connectors on the cable/housings. Shure uses the same connector. Westone uses a standard 2 pin cable, a "Westone-style" so you can only use UE stock, Shure stock or aftermarket cables with THOSE connectors. The round one. No pins.

 



Yes, in my case it was both the connector and the cable. I tend to break the cable as I take it to the gym which I should not, (really ?).
post #2307 of 3803
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurxiii View Post

Lol. This thread has become an ultimate ears 900 un-appreciation thread

 



Haha, I like the sound signature of UE900, great IEM (if $300ish) but Ultimate Ears always had some reliability issue with the cable or the connector.

I have 2 pairs of UE900, one for gym and other for home that tells how much I like UE900, but for $400 it's bit too much.

My next pair will be Westone 4R ($319 at Amazon now). <-- this is a good deal for US resident.
post #2308 of 3803
The Shure cable fits on the UE900 fine. I have tried my SE215 cable with no issues. Unfortunately both brands have the same cutting out issue. In the case of my 215 the issue is with the IEM not the cable for cutting out and it is almost permanent as I can only rarely get sound out of the one side. I have had much better luck with my UE900 where I have only had 2 brief instances (both with the Shure cable) of the speaker briefly cutting out. I have had no issues with the UE900 cables.
post #2309 of 3803

I ended up returning the UE 900s, due to the fit. Bizarrely, I love the fit of the TF10s (flip-flopped), but the UE 900s wouldn't sit in my ears without discomfort after even a short time.

 

Now I have the Westone 3 and the PFE 232 to consider...


Edited by Daveed84 - 9/20/13 at 8:44am
post #2310 of 3803

well i got the UE 900s. I'm having to use the longer tips form my RE-0s, the double-flanged ones, but the fit with them is superb and i'm enjoying the sound a lot. Certainly different from the RE-0s but the bass sounds pretty well tamed and isn't overpowering anything else. Overall pretty pleased. no crackling issues or anything else so far, touch wood.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread