Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread - Page 134

post #1996 of 3771
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyman392 View Post

 

There was a thread that had instructions on how to remove it. 

Now if someone could find the instructions, that would be great. I hate having to play around with the memory wire every time i put my UERMs on.

post #1997 of 3771
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner100 View Post

Now if someone could find the instructions, that would be great. I hate having to play around with the memory wire every time i put my UERMs on.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/663892/how-do-i-get-rid-of-those-stupid-annoying-ue900-memory-wires-tutorial-with-pics

 

Second hit off of Google Search (the first was something from this thread).

post #1998 of 3771

Great, I might have to try that when I get my UERMs back from refitting. 

post #1999 of 3771

additionally, whats a good way to remove the foam tips without destroying them?

post #2000 of 3771
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHouse View Post

additionally, whats a good way to remove the foam tips without destroying them?

 

That, I have no answer for XD 

post #2001 of 3771

It´s Comply foam, I don´t think there´s a way to make them last long. They are supposed to break down quick in order to make customers buy new (expensive) ones :o Shure and Westone foam tips last 10 times longer.

 

Small update on UE900: my superglue-fixed shell is holding together great, most likely better than it ever did when it came out of the factory. The sound is quite neutral and I´ve become fond of the microdetail they are to show. Instrument separation is superb too. It took a while to adjust to the sound as with all IEMs though. Going to try the pinhole mod next.

post #2002 of 3771

The supplied comply tips do make quite a difference, I initially felt that the upper mids on these were a tad 'boxy' but with the comply tips that issue is for the most part resolved. 

Any other recommendable foam tips? not looking forward to paying the absurd price for comply tips when these need to be replaced.

post #2003 of 3771

New to the forum here so if I do anything that isn't forum etiquette let me know.

 

I've been thinking about buying a set of new in-ear head phones and was drawn to UE because of having such a positive experience with my current, but gradually falling apart, UE 700's. I love them for their silent cable that never tangles; their sound quality that is extremely clear any possesses no muddy bass like you would find on cheaper pairs; their treble doesn't contain too much sibilance (though I still hear it when listening to Deftones); their solid noise isolation/cancellation; their small form factor that allows you to fall asleep with them in the ear—this was a huge selling point for me and still is—and their relatively nice comfort level.

 

The only problems I find with them is the ever so slight lack of bass. I still want to retain the exceptional clarity, but I'd like to add a little bit of bass without using the EQ or the BBE software on my Cowon J3. I know that if you add too much bass you can lose clarity so I only want a little increase when listening to Hip-Hop. I also want a more comfortable, or varied, set of ear buds. I'm not sure if anyone else experiences this, but after about half an hour of listening to music, particularly when lying down, my ear canals start to itch like crazy. I've tried various different buds but by going smaller you lose that seal and thus lose tone, particularly bass.

 

Anyway, this is why I'm drawn to the Logitech UE 900's. Although I'm dreading the thought of paying €400 for a pair of in-ear head phones, if they're perfect then I'm willing to save up and bite the bullet. UE has impressed me over the years. I like them as a company and would love to stick to their brand, even if they've been taken over by Logitech, a company I don't hate—but don't obsess over either. The 900's, based on the promo video, have a solid selection of buds to choose from. But here's the question: Are they as comfortable as the UE 700's? As I said, I sleep with music on so I need something small. I also prefer to wrap the cable round my ear. This is actually a must for me. I never use earphones any other way.

 

As far as sound, I prefer clarity and neutrality rather than 'fake' 3D bass or sibilant highs. I feel drawn to UE, again, because they seem to excel and focus on studio quality audio, which is what I'm aiming for. I obviously want warmth as well, something my current UE 700's possess, but I also want to hear the nuances of my music. Can anyone offer their thoughts before I start reading this enormous thread?


Edited by AngryGoldfish - 6/10/13 at 10:47am
post #2004 of 3771
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post

New to the forum here so if I do anything that isn't forum etiquette let me know.

 

I've been thinking about buying a set of new in-ear head phones and was drawn to UE because of having such a positive experience with my current, but gradually falling apart, UE 700's. I love them for their silent cable that never tangles; their sound quality that is extremely clear any possesses no muddy bass like you would find on cheaper pairs; their treble doesn't contain too much sibilance (though I still hear it when listening to Deftones); their solid noise isolation/cancellation; their small form factor that allows you to fall asleep with them in the ear—this was a huge selling point for me and still is—and their relatively nice comfort level.

 

The only problems I find with them is the ever so slight lack of bass. I still want to retain the exceptional clarity, but I'd like to add a little bit of bass without using the EQ or the BBE software on my Cowon J3. I know that if you add too much bass you can lose clarity so I only want a little increase when listening to Hip-Hop. I also want a more comfortable, or varied, set of ear buds. I'm not sure if anyone else experiences this, but after about half an hour of listening to music, particularly when lying down, my ear canals start to itch like crazy. I've tried various different buds but by going smaller you lose that seal and thus lose tone, particularly bass.

 

Anyway, this is why I'm drawn to the Logitech UE 900's. Although I'm dreading the thought of paying €400 for a pair of in-ear head phones, if they're perfect then I'm willing to save up and bite the bullet. UE has impressed me over the years. I like them as a company and would love to stick to their brand, even if they've been taken over by Logitech, a company I don't hate—but don't obsess over either. The 900's, based on the promo video, have a solid selection of buds to choose from. But here's the question: Are they as comfortable as the UE 700's? As I said, I sleep with music on so I need something small. I also prefer to wrap the cable round my ear. This is actually a must for me. I never use earphones any other way.

 

As far as sound, I prefer clarity and neutrality rather than 'fake' 3D bass or sibilant highs. I feel drawn to UE, again, because they seem to excel and focus on studio quality audio, which is what I'm aiming for. I obviously want warmth as well, something my current UE 700's possess, but I also want to hear the nuances of my music. Can anyone offer their thoughts before I start reading this enormous thread?

 

Unless you fill in the pinhole, you're not going to get neutral response from the UE 900.  You will get a more-than-adequate bass boost from them though, but with the sacrifice of lushness in the midrange.  Clarity is probably a strong suit of the UE 900 and treble should be a little more tame as well.  It was designed as a stage monitor, so it's got the dips in the lower treble to make it less fatiguing.  The UE 900 is designed to be worn over the ear, so that won't be a problem for you, they aren't small though, but do fit ergonomically in the ear.  So unless you have an odd ear shape, you should be able to lay down with them.

 

Another IEM I think you should take a look at is the HiFiMan RE400 though.  It also fits the description of what you are looking for in an IEM.  The bass isn't boosted too much, but it might be a better amount for you while maintaining good neutrality. 

post #2005 of 3771

Thanks, man.

 

I've also just found these guys. They look very similar to the the UE 700's in regards to size and form factor. Any thoughts? I know not everyone can try every product out there, but I thought I'd ask anyway in case you have an opinion on them or the brand. I've only just heard of them.

 

I've seen the HiFiMan RE400 in my searches. I'll give them more thought.

 

I like your description of the UE 900's. I'm just really struggling with the idea of investing that much money into earphones. How is the ruggedness of them? Has anyone noticed any unusual degradations of the cable? For instance, the cable is coming lose from the jack on my UE 700's. I can see the wires and I imagine it'll get worse the more I use them. I don't want this to happen a year from now for something that costs two-three months worth of wages.

post #2006 of 3771
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post

Thanks, man.

 

I've also just found these guys. They look very similar to the the UE 700's in regards to size and form factor. Any thoughts? I know not everyone can try every product out there, but I thought I'd ask anyway in case you have an opinion on them or the brand. I've only just heard of them.

 

I've seen the HiFiMan RE400 in my searches. I'll give them more thought.

 

I like your description of the UE 900's. I'm just really struggling with the idea of investing that much money into earphones. How is the ruggedness of them? Has anyone noticed any unusual degradations of the cable? For instance, the cable is coming lose from the jack on my UE 700's. I can see the wires and I imagine it'll get worse the more I use them. I don't want this to happen a year from now for something that costs two-three months worth of wages.

 

The Nocs are actually a single driver IEM, not dual driver (EDIT 1: The new model is a single driver, older was dual; people had issues with the dual driver model, I've only heard the single which actually sounds great).  They are tiny and small as well, but will stick out further than the RE400 (which isn't visible when inserted properly over the ear).  They will work well for sleeping as well and work decently over the ear.  The sound overall will give you a lot more bass, softer treble.  There is a bit of a drop in the lower treble that can affect snares extension and presence.  Vocals don't seem too affected by this though.  The main problem with the Nocs is the treble IMO, it's not a major one, but still there. 

 

I've had no cable issues with the UE 900.  The main issues are linked to the housing.  The black seems to peal off a little easily, but I haven't had the housing fall apart on me.  Some people have said they have had problems with the connectors.  I haven't had too much issue with that.  Cleaning them with the brush side of an IEM cleaning tool seems to do the trick if you do run into this issue. 


Edited by tinyman392 - 6/10/13 at 11:33am
post #2007 of 3771

Hi guys, fellow UE900 owner here. If you guys are looking to improve the sound quality of your UE900s I recommend trying the newly released FiiO RC-SE1 cable. It's a silver-plated copper cable for Shure, and of course UE900. I bought it when it came out, and I have spent more than one week with it. I can certainly say it improves the sound quality. It slightly increases the detail and resolution of the already very detailed UE900, and brings tremendous power and energy to the music. It is also less likely to distort at higher volumes. Overall the sound is more enjoyable with the FiiO cable. The effect is somewhat similar to what the Dark Lord cable does for the TF10 (if you read the TF10 thread, you'll know what I mean). Build quality is very good, sturdy cables and a nice metal jack, I largely prefer it over the stock cables. It's pretty cheap for a SPC cable, so it probably won't hurt your wallet if you decide to take the plunge.

 

I'm not an audio expert so I can't explain the sound changes very well, so if others who took the plunge could post more detailed impressions here I'm sure it will be helpful for other UE900 owners.

 

Just contributing my two cents in this thread. :)

 

Link:

http://fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000042227825&MenuID=105026014


Edited by lalala6 - 6/11/13 at 10:34am
post #2008 of 3771
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalala6 View Post

Hi guys, fellow UE900 owner here. If you guys are looking to improve the sound quality of your UE900s I recommend trying the newly released FiiO RC-SE1 cable. It's a silver-plated copper cable for Shure, and of course UE900. I bought it when it came out, and I have spent more than one week with it. I can certainly say it improves the sound quality. It slightly increases the detail and resolution of the already very detailed UE900, and brings tremendous power and energy to the music. It is also less likely to distort at higher volumes. Overall the sound is more enjoyable with the FiiO cable. The effect is somewhat similar to what the Dark Lord cable does for the TF10 (if you read the TF10 thread, you'll know what I mean). Build quality is very good, sturdy cables and a nice metal jack, I largely prefer it over the stock cables. It's pretty cheap for a SPC cable, so it probably won't hurt your wallet if you decide to take the plunge.

I'm not an audio expert so I can't explain the sound changes very well, so if others who took the plunge could post more detailed impressions here I'm sure it will be helpful for other UE900 owners.

Just contributing my two cents in this thread. smily_headphones1.gif

Link:
http://fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000042227825&MenuID=105026014

No memory wire? I think we have a winner here.
post #2009 of 3771
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHouse View Post

No memory wire? I think we have a winner here.
Sadly, there is memory wire, on mine at least.
post #2010 of 3771
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalala6 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHouse View Post

No memory wire? I think we have a winner here.
Sadly, there is memory wire, on mine at least.

 

Are you sure it's not just pre-curved? James from Fiio says here that it's not memory wire

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/657641/make-the-change-with-one-tiny-wire-fiio-headphone-cable-rc-x-will-be-in-the-market

 

I could live with that.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread