Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread - Page 76

post #1126 of 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

Specs say UE900 is a mere 101dB sensitivity which is quite low.

 

110-120 would be considered high efficiency IMHO.

 

101dB out of a player would be weak.  Amp definitely required.

UE900 already has good and loud sound even when paired with my blackberry tongue.gif

 

Using better dac and amp indeed improve the sq, but not by much. I think the Logitech really hit the spot this time for mainstream people. They success create an iem which suitable for mainstream songs, has beautiful design, and doesn't need any special rig to make them perform good.

post #1127 of 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMiddleSky View Post

UE900 already has good and loud sound even when paired with my blackberry tongue.gif

 

Using better dac and amp indeed improve the sq, but not by much. I think the Logitech really hit the spot this time for mainstream people. They success create an iem which suitable for mainstream songs, has beautiful design, and doesn't need any special rig to make them perform good.

Very true, and when I use my UE900 with the V-moda VAMP, it improved the staging and even out some of the lows and highs but not much else.  The only one thing that I really don't like about the UE900 is the hard case, as it is a bit big and a finger print magnet.  This is why I got myself a cheap $5 but good leather case for it.  BTW, mine got packed wrong on the right side so the memory cable got bended the wrong way out of the box, and it too me a while to get it bended the right way again.  Otherwise no complain.

post #1128 of 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

Specs say UE900 is a mere 101dB sensitivity which is quite low.

 

110-120 would be considered high efficiency IMHO.

 

101dB out of a player would be weak.  Amp definitely required.

 

The sensitivity is measured at 1k which the UE900 has a dip in (measured by Tyll and Rin).  It's about a 4-5 dB dip (measured from Tyll, nozzles slightly clogged) or a 7-8 dB dip measured by Rin (new, nozzle's unclogged).  So add that to the sensitivity since it's measured smack dab in the center of the dip :p

post #1129 of 3780
Would my Samsung Galaxy Nexus cell phone work with these
post #1130 of 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome2012 View Post

Would my Samsung Galaxy Nexus cell phone work with these

Absolutely.  You do not need to amplify these.  They sound great running off of my HTC Droid DNA.

post #1131 of 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome2012 View Post

Would my Samsung Galaxy Nexus cell phone work with these

I only ever tried them with Galaxy S3 and Note 2, I think both of them paired well with UE900

post #1132 of 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome2012 View Post

Would my Samsung Galaxy Nexus cell phone work with these

 

Define "work". You should use a source with as low output impedance as possible. So far I only know of one smartphone (iPhone 4) that can power multi-BAs without altering their sound.

I can't find the measurement of UE 900 but the tester said it measures almost identical to Triple.Fi 10. So take a look and reconsider if using them without FiiO E17, for example, really makes sense.

 

http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/rmaa%20complete%20-%20html.html

post #1133 of 3780

Well, then this would certainly be a benefit of UE900 over the W4.  I would not bother owning W4 without an amp.  To me it is like night and day.

post #1134 of 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post

Well, then this would certainly be a benefit of UE900 over the W4.  I would not bother owning W4 without an amp.  To me it is like night and day.

Damn, I just bought some W4R's and they're on the way. Oh well...
post #1135 of 3780
So I'm taking my second pair back tomorrow finally. So disappointed. Besides the weird HF distorion on the right side, I'm also getting intermittent signal from the cable like I did on the first pair I had.

These do sound pretty good, but I just can't take another chance. I've also gotten to the point where I look for every little flaw because I'm paranoid about the quality.

I'm actually thinking of grabbing a pair of SE535s since I can get them for $350 new (industry deal)

Anyone have experience with both? Differences?
post #1136 of 3780
The Shures have an extremely mid-centric sound with very rolled off treble. I personally dislike them. They are MSRP wise the most expensive out of the 3 driver IEMs, and I definitely don't think they are worth the premium unless you like that sort of sound signature.
post #1137 of 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammyboy View Post

I'm actually thinking of grabbing a pair of SE535s since I can get them for $350 new (industry deal)
Anyone have experience with both? Differences?

 

Do yourself a favor and search the Fischer Amps FA-3(E). They are similar to SE535 with better timbre and better highs. They make the Shure obsolete.

 

IMO the SE535 are two levels below the UE900 and you will get inferior sound. The Fischer is close, though. They also just released an XB version if you're into sub-bass. I haven't heard it myself, but so far people are saying that it also makes the TF10 obsolete as a fun sounding BA.

 

Here are three opinions of the FA3 compared to SE535, 4.Ai and UE900. Maybe you can use Google Translate if you don't speak German:

http://www.hifi-forum.de/index.php?action=browseT&forum_id=211&thread=507


Edited by Ultrazino - 12/5/12 at 2:23am
post #1138 of 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrazino View Post

Here are three opinions of the FA3 compared to SE535, 4.Ai and UE900. Maybe you can use Google Translate if you don't speak German:

http://www.hifi-forum.de/index.php?action=browseT&forum_id=211&thread=507

 

 

Could you please tell us the resumed conclusions of that comparison, please? I don't understand german, and Google Translator doesn't make much sense when translating it to english... Thanks! smile.gif

post #1139 of 3780
  • FA-3(E) is up to par with the best universal multi-BAs out there. It is just a wee bit slower, so some details might not pop out as with the best IEMs out there. At least that were my findings, but somebody else said he didn't notice a difference to 4.Ai and UE900.
  • Timbre is the best among all multi-BAs (my findings), confirmed VS UE900 and 4.Ai in the link.
  • Better than SE535 as vocals are direct but not fatiguing, unlike the Shure. Also has better extension of this highs and doesn't roll off. My findings were that UE900 and 4.Ai extend a little bit better (unconfirmed).
  • It's also the cheapest of the bunch. The FA-3E (universal with custom design) is super comfortable but there's an even cheaper version FA-3 with the same sound for only 249 €. Absolute price killer!
post #1140 of 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrazino View Post

  • FA-3(E) is up to par with the best universal multi-BAs out there. It is just a wee bit slower, so some details might not pop out as with the best IEMs out there. At least that were my findings, but somebody else said he didn't notice a difference to 4.Ai and UE900.
  • Timbre is the best among all multi-BAs (my findings), confirmed VS UE900 and 4.Ai in the link.
  • Better than SE535 as vocals are direct but not fatiguing, unlike the Shure. Also has better extension of this highs and doesn't roll off. My findings were that UE900 and 4.Ai extend a little bit better (unconfirmed).
  • It's also the cheapest of the bunch. The FA-3E (universal with custom design) is super comfortable but there's an even cheaper version FA-3 with the same sound for only 249 €. Absolute price killer!

 

 

Thank you! I already knew the FA-3E is very good, as I know a fellow head-fi'er who owns a pair and he actually preferred his FA-3E to the 4.Ai... 

 

 

Oh, I just noticed on another thread... Happy birthday! beerchug.gif


Edited by putente - 12/5/12 at 7:37am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Impressions Thread