Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Appreciation Thread - Page 197

post #2941 of 2947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post


I disagree - if you build a better product, people line up to buy. This is the logic that says all football games are fixed (just some) and the NSA actually cares what I say in my emails. Companies make decisions based on market forces and financial concerns sometimes they choose incorrectly. But to say that there was once a conversation in the UE boardroom where it was brought up... "Hey, if we build these cheaper, we'll have more customers because they'll need to come to us for another!" is sadly mistaken. Who's to say that the customer with his freshly inoperable product in his hand is going to decide to buy the same brand? I don't think so - there are a lot of customers out there - and the path to attracting more is to build a quality product - the end.
I agree with you that if companies took that approach it would be better but look at the evidence in hand. The UE900 is not a well made product. I think it would be naive to suggest that an actual meeting took place in which it was decided that they would deliberately aim for this in the design. However, The fact remains that the black plastic area which joins the cables to the main body of the earphone is cheap and nasty. The memory wire around the ears is poor and the jack cheap. The strain relief on the cables is virtually non existent. The UE logos wear off and everything is made of plastic. However, there is no real excuse for using poor materials because they are a £300 pair of earphones. Thank God they sound so good and look OK from a distance because the money certainly isn't going on production costs.
post #2942 of 2947
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwong28 View Post

This pic seems to show the differences in the new design but confusingly shows two different models. I have the old ones which look like the bottom picture (black Section connecting the lead to the main body) However, the top pic has blue plastic housing the cable connection suggesting that perhaps the whole ear bud is one moulded piece now. That would certainly make them more robust in the area that so much of the damage seems to occur.
post #2943 of 2947
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyInnerEar View Post


I went through many many earphones for years with many not lasting a month. I never abused them but I'm a heavy user. Usually the cable controls were the first to break, then a driver would usually break. I never had a problem with my UE900 though. I found the build quality to be quite nice. They look good and sound good. The swivel on the cable I didn't like though...it made them kinda confusing to put on.

 

Like, UE900 is a great headphone sonically and aestethically, but I had a pair of cheap Shures that went through hell and back with no problems and this thing split into two when I tried to remove the cable once. 

post #2944 of 2947
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmet993 View Post

I'm interested in this one specifically smily_headphones1.gif
lol it was a technical issue wink.gif
post #2945 of 2947




post #2946 of 2947
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrecedent View Post


I agree with you that if companies took that approach it would be better but look at the evidence in hand. The UE900 is not a well made product. I think it would be naive to suggest that an actual meeting took place in which it was decided that they would deliberately aim for this in the design. However, The fact remains that the black plastic area which joins the cables to the main body of the earphone is cheap and nasty. The memory wire around the ears is poor and the jack cheap. The strain relief on the cables is virtually non existent. The UE logos wear off and everything is made of plastic. However, there is no real excuse for using poor materials because they are a £300 pair of earphones. Thank God they sound so good and look OK from a distance because the money certainly isn't going on production costs.


I completely agree with you that UE cheaped out in the manufacture/design of the UE900 - hopefully they learned their lesson and the next flagship has a better build. And I know there wasn't a meeting where they decided to consciously make them break. That's sarcasm - only prompted by your statement that a major publicly-traded company would make enter into a conspiracy with other major publicly-traded companies to have your IEM break so they can sell you a new one and make extra money. It's a commonly bandied-about fallacy (or fantasy) that I guess, irked me.

 

Cheers:D 

post #2947 of 2947

Quick translation of the table:

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Appreciation Thread