Any members of this thread have any experience with the GR07 BE and the BA200s? I have both now and wondering if the UE900 is worth the upgrade. Also, i'm not as concerned with the quality control issues as I have had great customer service with UE in the past.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandUltimate Earstagged by System, 8/29/12
Related Forum Threads
- UE future? Last post on 7/20/12 at 4:38pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Multiple earbuds for sale. Last post on 1/29/12 at 1:39am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- UE 4 Pro or 1964 Ears Quad (1964-Q), Please help ... A poor noobie tread :( Last post on 8/25/11 at 7:48am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- FT: Sony MDR-EX600 for Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi-10 Last post on 8/8/11 at 3:40pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/4/14
Summary: These headphones give an accurate picture of what the producers had in mind when they mixed their music because they have a well-balanced, present, but not over-powering bass. Songs...
My current set. My favorite and my private oasis. These beauties will cut out most if not all ambient noise like while driving in a car and household noise when the music is flowing. I became a fan...
I was asked to listen to the Musical Fidelity MF100 and received them about 4 weeks ago. I get quite a lot of headphones through my door, I only review the ones I like and I like these a lot. I...
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
So I finally broke my go to earbuds, and went searching for a replacement. I was actually so disappointed with these things that I made it a point to get out and put out a review. Bass continuously...
Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Appreciation Thread - Page 96
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I'm actually deciding between getting these OR the Sony XBA3-iP. Both I can purchase for the same price. Hmmm decisions..
Edited by MetroBBOY - 1/29/13 at 7:07pm
Can you actually remove the memory wire on them? That clear sleeve that I can see in pics.
I don't particularly like them, and in my previous TF10, I did a recable using the Lune.
They aren't designed to come off, I supposed you can cut them off and pull out the little metal wire (looks like a thin paperclip). Alternatively, any cable that is cable with the Shure connectors will work as well as a cable.
Lastly, can they be worn down like normal buds? As an example, I also owned IE8's, and all I did was disconnect the cable in order to swap out the channels and used right on left etc.
They aren't designed to be worn down. You can, I guess, but I personally find the fit to be very uncomfortable and I absolutely cannot get a proper seal.
I did grab these today. For reference, I have in my possession Shure SE215s, Ety 4RPs, Vsonic GR07 BEs and TDK BA200s. Yes, I have been on a tear. Each one of these IEMs wows me in sort of way but none satisfy me. If I had to pick one it would be the Shure as it is fun and does not offend. It also is priced very low. The VSonics and TDKs are going back to Amazon. The Etys were purchased for isolation but I just am not a fan. My exploration so far has been all about bang for the buck, IMO. I was trying to cheap out and get the 95% for half the price. Well let me say, the UE900s get me to 99% and are worth every penny. I did not pay near full retail but after hearing them, they are easily worth the asking price.
First I want to say something about the build quality and cable issues. My pair is from the 1243 batch and the first thing I did was detach the cable and blow out the contact area. Then I plugged them in and twisted them in every direction while on my ear. I have no cutting out, no static, no issues whatsoever. I have not tried the black cable yet but I think I got a good pair.
I am not going to do a full review now but I did want to give folks some impressions. Everyone is trying to find a deal or the diamond without paying a huge price. The UE900s opened my eyes to a different level of sound. Reading Jokers review about the UE900s and his comparison to the GR07, I was expecting something close. Well, to my ears, they are not close. The UE900s are so much more resolving and balanced. Its funny that I say balanced because that is a supposed characteristic of the GR07s. The UE900s highs are not nearly as in your face but I hear a different level of detail over the GR07s. The BA200s did this too but not to the same level. Bass on the UE900s is much more linear to my ears. The impact is not there like it is with the GR07 dynamic but bass is about alot more than having my eardrums compressed. Again there is more detail in the UE900s bass and the timbre is more natural. FInally there is the midrange. I have not read all of the reviews on the UE900 but this is the portion that impresses me the most with these IEMs. Its not a huge in your face midrange, but the layers of details in this section is accurate over any other IEM I have heard. Shure is famous for their midrange but its a smooth liquid sound. The UE900s aren't the same but they just allow me to hear so much more information. Other factors for me are isolation. With the Comply tips, I find these easily on par with the Shure 215s and the olive tips. I was surprised by this. Comfort is better than the Shures and even with all the others.
So I guess you could say I am pleased. I really like these IEMs. I have read alot of complaints about them in this thread and I am sure many are swayed by this. It is a legitimate concern. Even so, they are worth a chance as long as you have a decent return policy. These are top tier IEMs.
They sound absolutely amazing, almost amazing enough to make me forget about that horrible experience last week!
I am tempted to swap in the black cables just to be sure everything's working fine but can't convince myself to tempt faith after having experienced the faulty 1234 batch last week.
Will continue testing these over the next few days - not to check whether they're working, but sheerly because I can't stop listening to them!
Coming from the BOSE mie2 these produce so much more detail :thumbup:
Overall, if these UE 900s lasts long enough, sounding this good...I may just forget the whole thing ever happened!
Been using the tf10s with a chris himself cable for a few months and really like them. Although they arent comfortable and I'd like a clearer sound. How do the ue900s compare to the gr10s? Anyone have both and compare?
Or does anyone think the shure 535s should be in this discussion?
- Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Appreciation Thread
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 38 seconds ago
- › Rank the IEM's you've heard 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X1, the most portable and affordable high resolution DAP from... 1 minute ago
- › PONO - are you really serious??? 1 minute ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Doppios! pg1197 !!.KEF... 2 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 3 minutes ago
- › Fresh outta CES: The Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560 5 minutes ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 5 minutes ago
- › Whiplash Audio 6 minutes ago
- › The FitEar CIEM Appreciation/Impressions Thread 10 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphone by aeromaniac
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by echo1284
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude