Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › just got a set of sextett's. will my amp do
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

just got a set of sextett's. will my amp do

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
I just got a set of akg k240 sextett on ebay for 120$
I know akg cans can be hard to drive and these are 600omhs

I have a fiio E6 and a pcmcia Audigy 2 ZS in my laptop, do you think that could drive them ? or should I get a better amp ?
if that's the case, how would the e7 or one of those Altoids amps work

thanks


BTW how do you say sextett lol

edit
any tube amps out there that will do
Edited by voodoo do-er - 8/27/12 at 9:14pm
post #2 of 14

try fiio E9, i think they should be enough even at low gain =)

post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyaems View Post

try fiio E9, i think they should be enough even at low gain =)

thanks

but I'm looking for something more Portable
like usb powered or with a battery and abit smaller

edit
anyone know about LITTLE BEAR amps
they have a tube amp the can handle 600ohms
Edited by voodoo do-er - 8/27/12 at 9:58pm
post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
do you think I could get a second E6 and run them in a series or something like that ?
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo do-er View Post

do you think I could get a second E6 and run them in a series or something like that ?

It does not work that way.


Edited by firev1 - 8/28/12 at 12:03am
post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by firev1 View Post

It does not work that way.
why not?
that would amp up the sound then amp it again making it more powerful AFAIK
it might kill the second amp tho, but I have done it with the amps on my pc's sound cards and my e6.
but never with two amps like the e6

I don't see how it would not work, other then being hard on the second amp. I might lose some fidelity do to the second amp be ran hard
but other then that I'm at a loss at how it would not work. I'm betting you know something I don't
Edited by voodoo do-er - 8/28/12 at 12:45am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo do-er View Post


thanks
but I'm looking for something more Portable
like usb powered or with a battery and abit smaller
edit
anyone know about LITTLE BEAR amps
they have a tube amp the can handle 600ohms


ibasso PB1 toucan should pair very nicely with the sextett. i had a setup like that before. very poisonous midrange.

post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyaems View Post


ibasso PB1 toucan should pair very nicely with the sextett. i had a setup like that before. very poisonous midrange.
thanks
abit pricy for me, but it looks like it would do nice. might just have to wait abit and save up

TBH I'd like to keep it around 50$ witch would be hard to do confused_face.gif
so anyone know if a cmoy amp would do ?
Edited by voodoo do-er - 8/28/12 at 12:44am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo do-er View Post


why not?
that would amp up the spund then amp it again making it more powerful AFAIK
might kill the second amp tho, I have done it before with the amp hooked up to both my pc's
but never with to amps like the e6

If its hard to drive, chances is that you might clip the input of the second amp, its alright to have pc's volume all the way up because their voltages tend to be very low. You may be find buying the amp and running 1 channel into the stereo inputs to parrallel them but I rather have a single good amp for the sextett. Sadly I don't really know what is good enough for the Sextett but I think a E11 should be able to drive it nicely to 130db SPL even if not ideal.

post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by firev1 View Post

If its hard to drive, chances is that you might clip the input of the second amp, its alright to have pc's volume all the way up because their voltages tend to be very low. You may be find buying the amp and running 1 channel into the stereo inputs to parrallel them but I rather have a single good amp for the sextett. Sadly I don't really know what is good enough for the Sextett but I think a E11 should be able to drive it nicely to 130db SPL even if not ideal.
thanks
that's what I was thinking.


btw my pc's have full amps on the soundcards, it's not the same as truing the volume all the way up.
it's pretty cool, the one in my htpc lets you pick the impedance and power of the amp aside form the volume.

edit:
I don't know if the e11 would do, but I do have a SB in my laptop, witch is grate at driving headphones by it self. it drives my Dynaphase Sixty.
but I still need a amp to make them shine

edit:2
I have a setup at home that can drive them, so if I could come close to driving them with my portable setup thats fine by me
Edited by voodoo do-er - 8/28/12 at 9:55am
post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 
anyone think a 18v cmoy would do ?
post #12 of 14

Yes it should do nicely, i use mine on occasion with the 18V Objective2 on high gain and it sound pretty good but it occasionally clips with heavy bass tracks. It's not really a suitable option for a portable amp, they need plenty of voltage to really show off. Still, even underpowered Sextettts better than most other phones and this price and much higher than that IMO.

post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 
I just got my sextett today
I'm amazed how well my e6 drives them, I thought these things would be a pain in the butt to drive like my k700's
that being said, they're long do for some refurbishing. first thing on the list is a new wire, I had to resolder it already
the ear pads need replacing too
post #14 of 14

I've been using my Sextett's with the E17 off both my Touch and my Mac and it's driving it just fine. I prefer the +12dB gain mode (which is still fine for battery life) to get the right sound level, but it's still nice and quiet when it needs to be.

 

Overall, the E17 sounds cleaner and bigger than my PA2V2 (prolly due to power issues) and also sounds better than running them through the built-in DAC/AMP on my B&W MM-1s desktop speakers, which oddly don't have the power to drive them much despite being actual speakers.

 

I haven't yet tried running the E09k... that's prolly my next purchase, unless I cave on a pair of 650's!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › just got a set of sextett's. will my amp do