I've had my audio technica ATH-M50's for a while and love them so much, but i'm not able to take them out because although they are durable, they're not durable enough in my opinion to be taking outside and whatnot. I love the "sparkle" I think it's called in the treble that just gives it an amazing sound. I was thinking of buying the m80s to take mobile and maybe even home use. What are the differences in sound quality from the m80 and the ATH-M50? I listen to Blink-182, rap, alternative, pop, rock and some country. I also use my headphones for gaming on occasions. Thanks!!
Related Forum Threads
- ATH-M50 vs vmoda m-80 for sound quality Last post on 10/19/13 at 8:08pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- M-Audio Q40 vs. V-MODA Crossfade LP vs. Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Last post on 4/28/13 at 12:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- ath-m50 vs. v-moda m80 Last post on 10/29/12 at 1:12pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Portable complement to ATH-M50 (similar to HFI-580) Last post on 10/23/12 at 10:06am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Travelling headphones - ath-m50 or v-moda m80/100 Last post on 10/16/12 at 2:19pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
I have passed on buying these because i generally do not play follow the leader well,so I was bidding on a set of Sennheiser HD 598s and was outbid at the last minute but wanted something new so...
Summary I've had these for about a week now, and I have to say I like them more each day. At first I was rather worried about purchasing them, because other reviews were saying that the bass...
I want to thanks Vincent from IFI who has sent me the sample for the review. In the past, on my site www.stereo-head.it and on head fi, I’ve already reviewed some IFI’s electronics and i...
Disclosure: I received these headphones from Sony Australia as a review sample to keep. Here is my video review of the 10R, as well as some brief notes about the sound and build of the...
My Story First of all - WOW. This is my first set of proper Hi-fi/Mid-fi cans. It's also easily the best sounding anything I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. However, since I'm new to...
V-Moda M-80 vs. ATH-M50post #1 of 148/27/12 at 5:15pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 148/27/12 at 5:59pmWhile the M50s are built like a tank IMO, the M-80 has even better build quality since its all metal. The sound is more balanced and refined to my ears and soundstage is really good for a small portable can. The M-80 is slightly warmer tonally but the mids are more natural and the highs are polite - not as sparkly as the M50 but the M-80 will be a good complement. They're a better all-rounder to my ears than the M50 and they'll be great for your genres. For gaming, you might need a bigger soundstage however.
Have you thought about getting the upcoming M-100? I'm pretty sure the soundstage will be even bigger. Preorders are already available for the first batch (VTF-100). It's worth looking into.post #3 of 148/28/12 at 7:15amThread StarterYeah I actually did think about getting the m100's, but a friend of mine has the original crossfade and I found that the earcups and too small for my ears and the fit is just not right, unlike my ath.. But yes ive actually posted a couple times in that thread, thanks!post #4 of 148/28/12 at 7:18amQuote:Originally Posted by roma101
While the M50s are built like a tank IMO, the M-80 has even better build quality since its all metal. The sound is more balanced and refined to my ears and soundstage is really good for a small portable can. The M-80 is slightly warmer tonally but the mids are more natural and the highs are polite - not as sparkly as the M50 but the M-80 will be a good complement. They're a better all-rounder to my ears than the M50 and they'll be great for your genres. For gaming, you might need a bigger soundstage however.
Have you thought about getting the upcoming M-100? I'm pretty sure the soundstage will be even bigger. Preorders are already available for the first batch (VTF-100). It's worth looking into.
the m80 is not all metal, the earcups are plastic.post #5 of 148/28/12 at 8:31am
I've taken my m50s outside alot, but unfortunately the sweat really got to the pleather cushions
The m80s have detachable cables (?) if im not mistaken, so if the cord gets wrecked from being on the go, then it's an easier time replacing thempost #6 of 148/28/12 at 10:06ampost #7 of 148/28/12 at 10:41ampost #8 of 148/28/12 at 11:41am
I do agree. And while I don't personally feel the need to EQ them (I normally don't use EQ altogether unless a can desperately needs it) they do respond well to a little treble boost.post #9 of 148/29/12 at 7:29amThread Starterpost #10 of 148/29/12 at 7:36amThread Starter
I hate to say this but I pray that the new m-100s beat out my ATH M50's in sound quality. I just love the sound quality and signature of the Audio techs.. but the durability and styling (custom shields and designs) of the V-Modas!!post #11 of 1410/27/12 at 9:06am
A few questions for the m50 vs. m80:
1. which one has the clearer, more detailed, and more transparent midrange
2. which one has the larger soundstage
3. which one is more comfortable
4. which one has the greater basspost #12 of 1410/28/12 at 2:24pmpost #13 of 1410/29/12 at 12:40pmpost #14 of 1410/29/12 at 12:47pmQuote:
uhh....they are quite similar i think, (note that i only had a few minutes with each headphone in less than ideal conditions and is only relying on past memory)
the M50 is a little clearer but has a lot more sibliance,
soundstage wise both are not so good, M80 has a slightly better soundstage i would say,
comfort wise i think the M80's softer pleather would do better than the M50's harder pleather,
and bass i think that they are similar, both impactful and extending well
- V-Moda M-80 vs. ATH-M50
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 seconds ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 28 seconds ago
- › Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM 29 seconds ago
- › What would be a good portable rig under $300 around the iPhone 4S? 41 seconds ago
- › New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and... 54 seconds ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 59 seconds ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 1 minute ago
- › One of the Most Iconic Artists of All Time in Pristine... 2 minutes ago
- › Meier Audio Daccord 4 minutes ago
- › Help choosing pc audio card under 70$ and question about DAC 4 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by kuhchuk
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by ashton18
- › Sennheiser IE800 by ag8908
- › Pioneer SE-CL721-K Headphones, Black/Red by tswmcello
- › Colorfly C3 by svyr
- › HiFiMeDIY Sabre Tiny USB DAC Digital to Analog Audio Converter... by laughingbuddha
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by gelocks
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude