Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Bassheads Rejoice Again! Sony Updates Extra Bass Headphones
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bassheads Rejoice Again! Sony Updates Extra Bass Headphones - Page 5

post #61 of 179

Guys, Sony Europe actually has a slightly different set of new XB cans. According to the press release, they have XB200, XB400, XB600 and XB800. The XB800 seems to be the same headphone as the XB900 in Japan, but they actually have the XB200 as well.

 

Check out the Engadget gallery - the one that looks like a Fisher Price headphone is probably the XB200.

post #62 of 179
That's interesting. Hopefully nothing is changed between the XB900 and the XB800.
post #63 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

That's interesting. Hopefully nothing is changed between the XB900 and the XB800.

 

According to the russian review site, they thought Sony did a last-minute decision to change XB800 to XB900 numbering and their package actually said XB800 but it's meant to be XB900 according to them. I'd guess it was named XB900 instead of XB800 based on Sony thought XB900 was like a more significant step up from the lower end models and pricing would suggest the same, almost/about double the price up from XB600, I mean Sony thought this time XB800 was such a noticable step up comparing XB500 vs XB700 and XB600 to XB800 that it simply deserve the XB900 naming cuz it's THAT much better. I'm like 99% sure it's down to this and nothing else and the XB500 sale success/popularity vs XB700 is probably another reason to try sell more of the expensier model too (or at least make it more appealing, higher numbers = ppl think is better). Based on the FR graph from the russian site I'd personally agree.

 

XB700 vs XB500 is more like a sidegrade than upgrade, this time I honestly believe XB900/800 or whatever WILL be an upgrade to XB600.


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 9/10/12 at 8:50am
post #64 of 179
That would explain why that Russian site addressed it as the XB800, and only once.
post #65 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post

 

According to the russian review site, they thought Sony did a last-minute decision to change XB800 to XB900 numbering and their package actually said XB800 but it's meant to be XB900 according to them. I'd guess it was named XB900 instead of XB800 based on Sony thought XB900 was like a more significant step up from the lower end models and pricing would suggest the same, almost/about double the price up from XB600, I mean Sony thought this time XB800 was such a noticable step up comparing XB500 vs XB700 and XB600 to XB800 that it simply deserve the XB900 naming cuz it's THAT much better. I'm like 99% sure it's down to this and nothing else and the XB500 sale success/popularity vs XB700 is probably another reason to try sell more of the expensier model too (or at least make it more appealing, higher numbers = ppl think is better). Based on the FR graph from the russian site I'd personally agree.

 

XB700 vs XB500 is more like a sidegrade than upgrade, this time I honestly believe XB900/800 or whatever WILL be an upgrade to XB600.

 

Wow, I never noticed that till you mentioned it, and went to take another look at the Russian site.

 

I hope Sony unifies their naming scheme, and stick with either XB800 or 900 for the same model.

post #66 of 179

 

Here's some interpetion of the XB900's FR measurement, I added the "average" frequency amplitude as orange line at which you can compare roughly which is recessed (below line) and what is emphasized (above line). First should be noted different kinds of measurements lead to different looking graphs, in this case, the measurement seems to correspond more to "goldenears" site measurement where the highs should actually be on the same level as mids to be concidered "neutral". If you would see the FR measurement showing up on Tyll's site the 8kHz area or so in his measurement I can garantuee you won't be on the same level as 550Hz area but will be on a lower amplitude, if it was it would be very bright sounding, it's just different way of measuring and the reader will have to know how to interpret the difference but it's worth pointing out. 

 

Anyway I read aprox 10dB bass boost (peak), ~9dB average boost in this measurement in the 20 - 200Hz area which I generally concider a the area that should be measured for bass. This can be compared to 15dB boost in XB700 in 20 - 110Hz or so range while the XB900 extends all the way to almost 200Hz before it rolls off, which is where it's already safe to assume, XB900 will feature significantly punchier bass than XB700. It can also be compared to XB500's 15dB boost in the 20 to 300Hz range (already approaches the lower-mids which leads to muddy midrange as the bass isn't rolled off soon enough, generally higherend bassy headphones roll-off by at least around 200Hz for a good reason which Sony has obviously learnt from XB500 looking at both XB600 and XB900). 

 

The rest of the range looks muuuuch better than previous XB headphones, besides getting slightly less bass quantity (probably in favor for quality) too, the mids and highs are very nicely balanced in XB900, almost neutral by this measurement throughout the whole range, obviously the 9~10dB bass boost will still make the mids & highs seem lower in level but if you'd EQ down the bass it would sound very neutral most likely but even so here I expect a significant step-up in the mids & highs detail versus XB500 & XB700 due to the shape of the bass curve which hints a more tight & punchy bass versus the previous series. That there's a variety of aprox +/- 3dB throughout the entire mids & highs range is really promissing, from my experience aprox lower than 5dB varieties are generally pretty inaudible and flat sounding. Another point worth pointing out is the sliiiight bump at like 500~600Hz range at which range XB700 for example had a bit of a dip and where it was the most recessed in the midrange while the XB700 versus XB500 sounded a bit more distant in the mids, it looks like XB900 definitely won't have as recessed mids as XB700. Only the 700Hz - 2 kHz range is slightly worrisome, there I had rather preferred seeing it more flat, aprox +5dB compared to that, a little bump on the EQ at 1kHz and 2kHz will probably do very good for this headphone.

 

Of course this is just one measurement and from an a bit unknown site so we don't know how "accurate" their measurements are like but assuming they'd be pretty accurate this FR measurement is very promissing for an "XB" series.


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 9/10/12 at 10:07am
post #67 of 179
This is as close as we can get of the XB8/900 impressions for now that's English LOL. http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/10/sony-simon-cowell-mdr-x10-x-factor-headphones/
post #68 of 179

Wanna think of something really scary??  The XB900 will not hit the U.S market, the X10 is the XB900 for the U.S.  Oh no!!!!!

Reply
post #69 of 179

an eBay seller is selling the XB900's for $279.99.  Not sure if that's the going price or not.  

post #70 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBai View Post

an eBay seller is selling the XB900's for $279.99.  Not sure if that's the going price or not.  

 

Very unlikely comparing current japanese pricing. Should be more like $179~$199, the eBay seller like usual is the case is trying to take advantage of pumping price due to scarse availability world wide and wants to sell at a premium price towards the rest of the world where they are nowhere to be found for a while still. The X10 however will probably sell there at 279~$299 though...


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 9/11/12 at 10:06pm
post #71 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post

 

Very unlikely comparing current japanese pricing. Should be more like $179~$199

good to know.  I also see Japanese pricing the Philips X1 at a ridiculous $629.  eek.gif

post #72 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBai View Post

good to know.  I also see Japanese pricing the Philips X1 at a ridiculous $629.  eek.gif

 

That's crazy. :P It's sold for £270 pund on philips UK store haha. Anyway the Japanese pricing on japanase amazon (which looks to be the cheapest) for XB900 is currently 12800 yen which translates currently into ~$165 USD. I think launch pricing might be 180~$200 but knowing Sony, the XB900 will probably drop to around $150 street price later on while MSRP remains probably $199 on Sony's site. There's very tough competition in this price segment, let's hope they can deliver and not just face pounding bass. :P


Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 9/11/12 at 10:16pm
post #73 of 179

i wonder if one of them will be supreme to my panasonic rp htf600-s which are quite bassy themselves :)

post #74 of 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 View Post

Wanna think of something really scary??  The XB900 will not hit the U.S market, the X10 is the XB900 for the U.S.  Oh no!!!!!

 

Hurry, everyone call in and vote for the XB900!  wink.gif

post #75 of 179
My friend is gonna be upset he just got xb1000 not to long ago.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Bassheads Rejoice Again! Sony Updates Extra Bass Headphones