Oct. 10th is what I hear when the XB900 will hit the streets of Japan. I will try to get one to show you guys.
Recent Images In This Thread
- brandSonytagged by System, 8/31/12
- productSony MDRXB600 Extra Bass Over the Head 40mm Driver Headphone, Blacktagged by System, 10/9/12
- productSony MDRXB800 Extra Bass Over The Head 50mm Driver Headphone, Blacktagged by System, 10/9/12
Related Forum Threads
- NEW! Sony Extra Bass MDR-XB600 & MDR-XB800 unboxing videos Last post on 1/5/14 at 3:10pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sony MDRXB 500 or Sony MDRXB 800? Last post on 1/13/14 at 2:43pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Vintage Sony D-50 Discman - need help Last post on 11/30/12 at 7:15pm in Portable Source Gear
- [REVIEW] Sony MH1 – The Best Kept Secret Last post on 3/5/14 at 1:21am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sony MDR-V55 Headphones Review Last post on 3/29/13 at 5:51am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide
Last edited: 12/7/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
Bassheads Rejoice Again! Sony Updates Extra Bass Headphones - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
On August 27, Sony announced the upcoming update to their popular Extra Bass series of portable headphones. The new headphones are designed to be more portable as all models now utilize swiveling earcups to fold flat. The new models include the 30mm driver MDR-XB400 (MSRP: ¥4935), the 40mm driver MDR-XB600 (MSRP: ¥8715), and the range-topping 50mm driver MDR-XB900, which will retail for ¥18375. The new Extra Bass headphones will be on sale in Japan on October 10.
The XB400 comes in three color choices: black, white, and red.
The XB600 comes in black or gold.
MDR-XB400 | ヘッドホン | ソニー
MDR-XB600 | ヘッドホン | ソニー
MDR-XB900 | ヘッドホン | ソニー
ソニー、重低音特化のXBヘッドフォンを刷新 -AV Watch
Did anyone notice the vents on the bottom of the earcups of the XB600 and XB900? Are these a semi-open designed headphone?
Wait, the XB900 is 50mm and they made it almost the same size as the lower end models? Or is this just the trickery of digital imaging?
IMO the bass port is needed for enough air to be moved for the bass, but still provide enough isolation. It's not surprising to me at least.
Yea looks like Sony did some homework on previous models as XB700 was just TOO big for most people to wear in public, XB900 looks perfectly usable in public what I can see, doesn't look odd at all and looks quite nice TBH especially because the headband sits quite tight along your skull and doesn't protrude like many other headphones.
Since the other XBs also have vents it's not suprising in the least that these also have, if you cover the ports on XB500/700 you loose like all the bass almost. I can spot 2 holes per cup on XB900, looks like only 1 vent on XB600 on these pics but yea maybe it also has 2.
On the product page is says "equipped with a newly developed 50mm driver unit" so might not have to be using the same drivers as previous series.
The cup material itself seems like an improvement to bass response, the original XB series had this very thin alu cups which vibrated like crazy = heavy resonances going on. This looks like a much better material which shouldn't vibrate nearly as much. Compare XB1000 vs XB500/700 ! Price will probably be like $200 for XB900 I think so it better be a noticably improvement in SQ. :P XB600 probably will be like ~$100 so there's quite a gap between the two in price.
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 8/30/12 at 7:01am
I too am saddened by Sony making the XB series look normal. I always thought that the F-150 tires that they call cushions looked so cool and comfortable.
Hey if you check this page you notice something very unexpected: they fold & swivel! http://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/MDR-XB900/feature_1.html#L2_10
That's a plus. The current XB models are quite unwieldy due to their bulk. I like the SONY logo on the top of the headband, too. If only we could combine the pillow pads with a folding design, but that seems quite difficult to achieve.
Methinks I'll get one of these............love my XB500's but would try the 900's for the right price. Any idea when they'll be available in North America?
- Bassheads Rejoice Again! Sony Updates Extra Bass Headphones
- › Hello, Help Budget IEM Recommendation 14 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 16 seconds ago
- › Audio technica Im04 20 seconds ago
- › Comparisons: 13 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around 51 seconds ago
- › Sansa Clip Zip or Clip+ ? 59 seconds ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones 1 minute ago
- › 8 years ago . . . 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Amperior Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo 4 minutes ago
- › Enter to win a Bowie-Inspired MOMENTUM Headphone from Sennheiser... 4 minutes ago
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude