New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Set up for my brother.

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
My brother is looking for speakers for $300 or maybe (just maybe) $400. He is set on buying a subwoofer. He needs one. Also this will be used for a turntable. So will be need a reciever and all that jazz? All suggestions welcome. Also if you know good turntables for $100-$150 that have USB so he can rip them to his mac. Also I will chip in $50 for a new cartridge would that help? Or would that $50 be used better else where in his set up? Thanks for the help guys! So happy right now. Somebody asked me for audio advice! Sadly it's about speakers and I don't know much about it.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #2 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

My brother is looking for speakers for $300 or maybe (just maybe) $400. He is set on buying a subwoofer. He needs one. Also this will be used for a turntable. So will be need a reciever and all that jazz? All suggestions welcome. Also if you know good turntables for $100-$150 that have USB so he can rip them to his mac. Also I will chip in $50 for a new cartridge would that help? Or would that $50 be used better else where in his set up? Thanks for the help guys! So happy right now. Somebody asked me for audio advice! Sadly it's about speakers and I don't know much about it.
Also this will be used in a small bedroom.
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 

Nobody?

post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
Nobody???
post #5 of 14

you've some options, but it's difficult to say what might suits best your brother.

 

$300 for speakers + sub + amp = not gonna happen.

 

for a 2.1 pc set-up check Swan's or Klipsch's systems.

 

also check AVS forum for more options 

post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
What about with a $400-$450 budget?
post #7 of 14

a good set-up, based on what I've been reading from users who actually have it, would be some Polk Audio's monitors (there're some good deals on Amazon), paired with a Velodyne VX-11 sub (which seems to be liked alot). that leaves the receiver/amp within the budget, which has to have a phono stage if you want to use a turntable (or get a separate one). some compromises will have to be made somewhere. 

 

another option could be the Pioneer HT speakers.

 

more opinions maybe at avsforum

post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 

What about the Polk Audio PSW10? Its cheaper and is liked alot but would the Velodyne be alot better? Leaving more money for the speakers.

post #9 of 14

That Polk sub isnt that great, its really boomy and flabby sounding. If you want a decent sub on the cheap you may want to look at some BIC America offerings. My Velodyne sub (which is my main; i forget the model #) is a beast it easily sounds 5 times better than the PSW10 which I had at the same time. It is much tighter sounding and much more powerful. But then again when it was bought new like 10 years ago it cost over 7 times as much as the PSW10 which I paid like $85 shipped on amazon last year. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

What about the Polk Audio PSW10? Its cheaper and is liked alot but would the Velodyne be alot better? Leaving more money for the speakers.

post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alv4426 View Post

That Polk sub isnt that great, its really boomy and flabby sounding. If you want a decent sub on the cheap you may want to look at some BIC America offerings. My Velodyne sub (which is my main; i forget the model #) is a beast it easily sounds 5 times better than the PSW10 which I had at the same time. It is much tighter sounding and much more powerful. But then again when it was bought new like 10 years ago it cost over 7 times as much as the PSW10 which I paid like $85 shipped on amazon last year. 

Ok. And would the Polk Audio Monitors 40 for $180 be the best I could get for around $200? I've heard good things about the Audioengine A2. Would it be better? Also What reciever would work the best? I was looking at a Sherwood RX-409 its $100, highly rated, and it has a phono stage for vinyl. Its 105 watts.


Edited by wolfetan44 - 8/28/12 at 7:03pm
post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 
Bump.
post #12 of 14
The Monitor 40 aren't bad speakers - not sure if they're better or worse than the A2, but they're good speakers. Those, a Polk (or Bic or Velodyne or whatever - within your budget nothing is really "top end" or "good" to be perfectly blunt) sub, a good receiver up front with bass management/crossover, and the turntable on top of that, and you'll be set-up. Look at Audio-Technica, Denon, and Music Hall for turntables with USB or similar features (built in preamp etc).
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post
My brother is looking for speakers for $300 or maybe (just maybe) $400. He is set on buying a subwoofer. He needs one. Also this will be used for a turntable. So will be need a reciever and all that jazz? All suggestions welcome. Also if you know good turntables for $100-$150 that have USB so he can rip them to his mac. Also I will chip in $50 for a new cartridge would that help? Or would that $50 be used better else where in his set up? Thanks for the help guys! So happy right now. Somebody asked me for audio advice! Sadly it's about speakers and I don't know much about it.

 

if this is to be used in a small bedroom he may want to reconsider the whole subwoofer thing. small speakers can often be surprisingly satisfying, especially in a small space. and true deep bass can be the quickest way to muck up sound. consider looking for some nice small monitors with a decent vintagey receiver with a phono stage.


Edited by daveDerek - 8/29/12 at 2:41pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveDerek View Post

if this is to be used in a small bedroom he may want to reconsider the whole subwoofer thing. small speakers can often be surprisingly satisfying, especially in a small space. and true deep bass can be the quickest way to muck up sound. consider looking for some nice small monitors with a decent vintagey receiver with a phone stage.

Any table I've seen with USB also includes the phono preamp built in, so it seems like killing a few birds with the same stone. But this is a good point as well - something like an HK3490, speakers like the Monitor 50, and whatever table you like (or a used receiver and so on) - would be very good in a small space.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gear mentioned in this thread: