- 13 Posts. Joined 10/2013
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Mid - High End DAC/AMP Combos (Please Rate) Last post on 12/12/12 at 8:35am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Recommendation - on Portable Headphone Amps/DAC Last post on 10/6/13 at 12:40am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Semi portable DAC / Amp Last post on 11/28/12 at 2:08pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Need to choose a protable amp +/- DAC... What is your favorite, and why? Last post on 10/16/12 at 10:42pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Combined portable amp and dac: Anything better than E17? Last post on 10/6/12 at 5:03pm in Portable Headphone Amps
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift GuideLast edited: 12/1/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)Last edited: 12/4/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)Last edited: 12/28/12
This is the veteran ex-flagship model from FitEar／須山補聴器 before the Mitsuharu Harada series (MH335DW) was released recently. The C435 is a 4 way crossover configuration, 5 drivers (2 highs, 2 mids 1...
I've spent the past week auditioning these new VSD1S by VSonic. Before this I was listening extensively to my dual dynamics JVC FXT90's and my dual armature UE 700. For a single dynamic driver that...
I started this review with the intention of pointing out the things I don't like about it, but man, there really isn't much I don't love about these. Out of the box they sound very thin and...
It does a good job as a DAC for my starving student amp. Eventually, I will probably upgrade but it works well enough. It is nice that it powers off of USB and doesn't take up tons of space.
The review is based on the stock pads, not based on the upgraded velour pads. The only problem with the sound quality is a weird color in the upper mids, around vocal range. This is due to the...
Sony PHA-1 portable DAC/amp - Page 31post #451 of 46211/10/13 at 7:18pmWell the PHA-1 just arrived. I am at work so after giving it a quick charge I gave it a go with the UM Merlin. Given the impedance hazard here I had prepared myself for a car crash, however the improvement using the PHA-1 out of an iphone 4 with the Merlins is very significant - not small at all. I have only had 20 minutes to play with this, so did some quick a/b/c'ing with one track. I used James Blake's Retrograde tune. Using the audio in (only using the amp feature not the PHA-1 DAC) there was a noticable improvement in clarity across the spectrum and bass impact - very pleased so far. Then used the LOD to USB to use both the DAC and AMP and WOW!! Lots of clarity and Retrograde sounded very ethereal - beautiful. Then took the PHA-1 out of the picture and went back to iphone 4-UM Merlin and there is a distinct loss of detail and seperation. So first impressions are very positive and thus far no negatives, so no impedance issues yet. Very glad I took the plunge on the PHA-1 and I look forward to exploring further with both the Merlin and the IE80's - as my Merlin's are about to go back for a light mod. For $370 AU delivered this looks to be very good ROI. Thanks for nudging me over the edge on this DrSheep.
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #452 of 46211/10/13 at 7:21pmpost #453 of 46211/10/13 at 7:26pmpost #454 of 46211/12/13 at 3:39ampost #455 of 46211/12/13 at 8:15amQuote:Originally Posted by DrSheep
Glad you like it. FYI, Van Nuys from Japan makes an EXECLLENT case for the PHA-1.
It is quite nice, but (and) not cheap. Although it would be useful for sure.
I like the colorful one on the bottom.post #456 of 46211/20/13 at 12:04amQuote:Originally Posted by nogi replicant
Has anyone else used the pha-1 with low impedance iems, other than the Westone 4r which others have said in this thread sounds great - I think the 4r is 16 ohm. I am keen to pick one up as they are very cheap at the moment, and I would like a dac/amp that will work with iphone 5. Most of the competing products also have an impedance of 10ohm and are more expensive - except for the m8 (as low as 1ohm), but I cannot stretch the $ that far. I want to use the pha-1 with my ie80's (16ohm) and UM Merlins (12 ohm). I am far from a hifi expert so not sure of the degree of actual risk in buying this product to run these iem's. I am OK with taking a small risk here but if matching the hpa-1 with the ie80 and Merlin is definately going to result in a poor outcome please let me know.
The w4r is 31 ohm.
I'm really on the fence about getting this used to use with my ip5 for about ~$280. Seems nicely priced and is compatible with the ip5.post #457 of 46211/20/13 at 12:06ampost #458 of 46211/20/13 at 10:08amQuote:
Welp, I went ahead and ordered it used and picked up a v moda lightning cable as well. can't wait! It's gonna be my first dedicated dac/amp ever!post #459 of 46211/20/13 at 10:39amQuote:
Congrats.post #460 of 46211/27/13 at 3:24pmQuote:
Don't turn it up too loud when you first get it.post #461 of 46211/27/13 at 6:31pm
Ah yeah. Thanks for the warning.
It actually just got delivered like 20 minutes ago. I was extra careful when I was first turning it on hahaha.
I immediately noticed the bass response got better. Seems like the soundstage got a little wider and taller aswell. Separation also improved - everything sounds a little more layered. I'll update my impressions after I get some hours on this :).
- Sony PHA-1 portable DAC/amp
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide
- › NEW Vali Schiit AMP!!! 28 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX50 Thread (New^4 firmware update! V1.2.2) 39 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Appreciation Thread 52 seconds ago
- › Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone! 1 minute ago
- › Best office headphones 1 minute ago
- › Student looking for best nose isolation headphones for <£30 (please... 2 minutes ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 2 minutes ago
- › Q701 appreciation thread 3 minutes ago
- › Yulong a100 and apogee duet 4 minutes ago
- › Looking to upgrade my audio setup. 4 minutes ago
- › FitEar Private C435 Custom In-Ear Monitors by TheLastDevil
- › VSONIC VSD1S by IEMagnet01
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by jshaffe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by jshaffe
- › MartinLogan Mikros 90 Reference On-Ear Headphones, Black by pataburd
- › Logitech UE 6000 by Trunks159
- › MEElectronics SP51-BK Sound Preference In-Ear Headphone with Sound... by Benik3
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by JGrignon
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi