- 138 Posts. Joined 10/2013
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Mid - High End DAC/AMP Combos (Please Rate) Last post on 12/12/12 at 8:35am in Portable Headphone Amps
- NEW Portable Cayin Spark C5 DAC/Amp Released MAY 2015 Last post on Today at 1:13 pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Recommendation - on Portable Headphone Amps/DAC Last post on 10/6/13 at 12:40am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Semi portable DAC / Amp Last post on 11/28/12 at 2:08pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 6/26/15
Sorry for my bad English and short impressions. Z7s highs are roll offed. Z7 sounds fatigue free for long listening session. Comfortability is also very good. Z7 sounds analog-ish. I can...
Introduction: CustomArt is a relatively new custom IEM company that has very quickly grew into one of the big names in business. Hailing from Poland, the company has a well-respected line of...
I made a video review of the dt770 80ohm quite sometime ago and was finally finished it. I got them on sale at Guitar Center for $179.99 , the deal was better than anywhere on the web so I...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Westone for providing me with review sample in exchange for my honest opinion....
An early welcome greeted me when I arrived in Los Angeles for the 2015 CanJam SoCal meet: A new pair of MrSpeakers headphones. Dan Clark, having spent many years modifying the inexpensive...
Sony PHA-1 portable DAC/amp - Page 31
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Glad you like it. FYI, Van Nuys from Japan makes an EXECLLENT case for the PHA-1.
It is quite nice, but (and) not cheap. Although it would be useful for sure.
I like the colorful one on the bottom.
Has anyone else used the pha-1 with low impedance iems, other than the Westone 4r which others have said in this thread sounds great - I think the 4r is 16 ohm. I am keen to pick one up as they are very cheap at the moment, and I would like a dac/amp that will work with iphone 5. Most of the competing products also have an impedance of 10ohm and are more expensive - except for the m8 (as low as 1ohm), but I cannot stretch the $ that far. I want to use the pha-1 with my ie80's (16ohm) and UM Merlins (12 ohm). I am far from a hifi expert so not sure of the degree of actual risk in buying this product to run these iem's. I am OK with taking a small risk here but if matching the hpa-1 with the ie80 and Merlin is definately going to result in a poor outcome please let me know.
The w4r is 31 ohm.
I'm really on the fence about getting this used to use with my ip5 for about ~$280. Seems nicely priced and is compatible with the ip5.
Welp, I went ahead and ordered it used and picked up a v moda lightning cable as well. can't wait! It's gonna be my first dedicated dac/amp ever!
Don't turn it up too loud when you first get it.
Ah yeah. Thanks for the warning.
It actually just got delivered like 20 minutes ago. I was extra careful when I was first turning it on hahaha.
I immediately noticed the bass response got better. Seems like the soundstage got a little wider and taller aswell. Separation also improved - everything sounds a little more layered. I'll update my impressions after I get some hours on this :).
The PHA-1 is my main rig for listening to music on headphones, I can't say that the HD 650's were a bad combination but it just didn't really work for me, I bought the HD 650's after reading so many positive reviews here on Head-Fi, Not sure what to think really as I just don't have the equipment to put the HD 650's to proper testing, Once I had bought the Ultrasone Signature DJ's the HD 650's went straight back in the box.
Can anyone try this with a harder to drive phone (I'm looking at a Mad Dog/pha-1 combo, perhaps even he-400/pha-1) and post results? According to the touchmyapps review, these babies are powerful enough for the beyer 880 600ohm. Are they powerful enough for the hifiman line?
I'm also looking to some comments about a Mad Dog with PHA-1 combo. Anyone have any experience with this setup? Thanks
In the PHA-1 documentation there is this mention :
Digitally broadcast sound may not be output from a computer’s USB port. In this
case, connect the AUDIO IN jack of the unit to the analog audio output of the
So if I listen Grooveshark from my desktop with PHA-1 connected with USB
it will output the music using PHA-1 ?
- Sony PHA-1 portable DAC/amp
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 40 seconds ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 42 seconds ago
- › Audio-Technica IM50, IM70 Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › iDAC2 launching with a bang! Competition with MEGA goodies. Gotta... 2 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 2 minutes ago
- › What's the best USB audio cable for the money? 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 6 minutes ago
- › cables are placebo 6 minutes ago
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 7 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Pokemonn
- › CustomArt Ei.3 acrylic custom IEM by Cotnijoe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by ActiveTechREV
- › Westone W50 Five Driver Universal Fit Noise Isolating Earphones, 78505 by twister6
- › MrSpeakers Ether Planar Magnetic Headphones by Currawong
- › Audio-Technica ATH-R70x | R Series Professional Open Back Dynamic... by maikuirock
- › Superlux HD-668 B by ingenero
- › Sony PHA-3 Headphone Amp by cloud_c
- › PreSonus HD7 Professional Monitoring Headphones by BloodyPenguin
- › Phiaton PS 210 BTNC Bluetooth 3.0 Active Noise Cancelling Stereo... by audionut44
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)