- 26 Posts. Joined 10/2013
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Mid - High End DAC/AMP Combos (Please Rate) Last post on 12/12/12 at 8:35am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Recommendation - on Portable Headphone Amps/DAC Last post on 10/6/13 at 12:40am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Semi portable DAC / Amp Last post on 11/28/12 at 2:08pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Need to choose a protable amp +/- DAC... What is your favorite, and why? Last post on 10/16/12 at 10:42pm in Portable Headphone Amps
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift GuideLast edited: 12/7/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)Last edited: 12/28/12
First a bit of background on my experiences with headphone amps. I have tried the Fiio E17, Objective 2, the 2.3W amp built into my laptop, my Yamaha receiver's headphone out and a cheap $40...
I bought these cans 2 years ago and sold them to get the ATH-M50, which then lead me into the audio world. Overall these are good portable headphones with great build quality. The sound, however,...
The Sennheiser Momentum On Ear is bursting with goodness. Nice looks, sound, and great value to go with it. Now, Let's go straight into it! These look so phenomenal, with all that alcantara...
The Sennheiser PX 360 headphones look good, and are very comfortable, at least to me, but the earcups fit just nicely over my ears. Any smaller and I would not be able to fit these over my ears....
Bass response doesn't bleed to the vocals or any other frequency whatsoever, thin lightweight cable with no microphonics and small plug to connect to portable devices. Some people called...
Sony PHA-1 portable DAC/amp - Page 31post #451 of 48211/10/13 at 7:18pmWell the PHA-1 just arrived. I am at work so after giving it a quick charge I gave it a go with the UM Merlin. Given the impedance hazard here I had prepared myself for a car crash, however the improvement using the PHA-1 out of an iphone 4 with the Merlins is very significant - not small at all. I have only had 20 minutes to play with this, so did some quick a/b/c'ing with one track. I used James Blake's Retrograde tune. Using the audio in (only using the amp feature not the PHA-1 DAC) there was a noticable improvement in clarity across the spectrum and bass impact - very pleased so far. Then used the LOD to USB to use both the DAC and AMP and WOW!! Lots of clarity and Retrograde sounded very ethereal - beautiful. Then took the PHA-1 out of the picture and went back to iphone 4-UM Merlin and there is a distinct loss of detail and seperation. So first impressions are very positive and thus far no negatives, so no impedance issues yet. Very glad I took the plunge on the PHA-1 and I look forward to exploring further with both the Merlin and the IE80's - as my Merlin's are about to go back for a light mod. For $370 AU delivered this looks to be very good ROI. Thanks for nudging me over the edge on this DrSheep.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #452 of 48211/10/13 at 7:21pmpost #453 of 48211/10/13 at 7:26pmpost #454 of 48211/12/13 at 3:39ampost #455 of 48211/12/13 at 8:15amQuote:Originally Posted by DrSheep
Glad you like it. FYI, Van Nuys from Japan makes an EXECLLENT case for the PHA-1.
It is quite nice, but (and) not cheap. Although it would be useful for sure.
I like the colorful one on the bottom.post #456 of 48211/20/13 at 12:04amQuote:Originally Posted by nogi replicant
Has anyone else used the pha-1 with low impedance iems, other than the Westone 4r which others have said in this thread sounds great - I think the 4r is 16 ohm. I am keen to pick one up as they are very cheap at the moment, and I would like a dac/amp that will work with iphone 5. Most of the competing products also have an impedance of 10ohm and are more expensive - except for the m8 (as low as 1ohm), but I cannot stretch the $ that far. I want to use the pha-1 with my ie80's (16ohm) and UM Merlins (12 ohm). I am far from a hifi expert so not sure of the degree of actual risk in buying this product to run these iem's. I am OK with taking a small risk here but if matching the hpa-1 with the ie80 and Merlin is definately going to result in a poor outcome please let me know.
The w4r is 31 ohm.
I'm really on the fence about getting this used to use with my ip5 for about ~$280. Seems nicely priced and is compatible with the ip5.post #457 of 48211/20/13 at 12:06ampost #458 of 48211/20/13 at 10:08amQuote:
Welp, I went ahead and ordered it used and picked up a v moda lightning cable as well. can't wait! It's gonna be my first dedicated dac/amp ever!post #459 of 48211/20/13 at 10:39amQuote:
Congrats.post #460 of 48211/27/13 at 3:24pmQuote:
Don't turn it up too loud when you first get it.post #461 of 48211/27/13 at 6:31pm
Ah yeah. Thanks for the warning.
It actually just got delivered like 20 minutes ago. I was extra careful when I was first turning it on hahaha.
I immediately noticed the bass response got better. Seems like the soundstage got a little wider and taller aswell. Separation also improved - everything sounds a little more layered. I'll update my impressions after I get some hours on this :).post #462 of 48211/28/13 at 3:49ampost #463 of 48212/9/13 at 6:05pmQuote:
The PHA-1 is my main rig for listening to music on headphones, I can't say that the HD 650's were a bad combination but it just didn't really work for me, I bought the HD 650's after reading so many positive reviews here on Head-Fi, Not sure what to think really as I just don't have the equipment to put the HD 650's to proper testing, Once I had bought the Ultrasone Signature DJ's the HD 650's went straight back in the box.post #464 of 48212/10/13 at 12:14pmQuote:Originally Posted by varyV
Can anyone try this with a harder to drive phone (I'm looking at a Mad Dog/pha-1 combo, perhaps even he-400/pha-1) and post results? According to the touchmyapps review, these babies are powerful enough for the beyer 880 600ohm. Are they powerful enough for the hifiman line?
I'm also looking to some comments about a Mad Dog with PHA-1 combo. Anyone have any experience with this setup? Thankspost #465 of 48212/12/13 at 4:49am
In the PHA-1 documentation there is this mention :
Digitally broadcast sound may not be output from a computer’s USB port. In this
case, connect the AUDIO IN jack of the unit to the analog audio output of the
So if I listen Grooveshark from my desktop with PHA-1 connected with USB
it will output the music using PHA-1 ?
- Sony PHA-1 portable DAC/amp
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide
- › Tube warmth and distortion and it's pros 8 seconds ago
- › ZMF Headphones Appreciation Thread/ ZMF ZPEX V.2 REVIEW and TOUR!!! 10 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Seattle Spring Meet @ BottleHeadquarters April 26,2014 1 minute ago
- › TEAC UD-H01 USB DAC 2 minutes ago
- › best headphone/amp combo for Classical. 2 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... 3 minutes ago
- › Noontec Hammo (reviews, impressions, etc) 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 4 minutes ago
- › Audiophile cables, an interesting question. 4 minutes ago
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Noble Audio FR by HideousPride
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by AManAnd88Keys
- › JBL J33 Premium In-Ear Headphones - Black by QyababAM
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob