- 4,156 Posts. Joined 3/2012
- Location: usa,florida,boca raton.
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Mid - High End DAC/AMP Combos (Please Rate) Last post on 12/12/12 at 8:35am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Recommendation - on Portable Headphone Amps/DAC Last post on 10/6/13 at 12:40am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Semi portable DAC / Amp Last post on 11/28/12 at 2:08pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Need to choose a protable amp +/- DAC... What is your favorite, and why? Last post on 10/16/12 at 10:42pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 7/6/14
Beats, the biggest headphone brand in the world, selling more headphones than any other by a large margin and with a huge 60% market share in it's domestic market in the USA, has largely been the...
Though these are by no means perfect headphones, their price and excellent bass make them one of the best headphones you can buy for under $200. These headphones are very fun to listen to. They...
Since this is a IEM review I'll keep it short , I have no respect for IEMs ...I wish I could use headphones in the bed but since I cannot I have to resort to IEMs , not a IEM guy I picked...
I'm not much of a audiophile nor a reviewer just a regular audio enthusiast.. Apologies & correct me if I'm wrong.. Absolutely "StUnNeD" by these gems thought of sharing my...
Right have the pleasure of owning these for about 4 months. My Kit: Source: Foobar through Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Amp: Lehman Audio Blackcube Linear Headphones: Audio Technica ATH W...
Sony PHA-1 portable DAC/amp - Page 21
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I have not noticed a low high impedance difference yet ( using dac in) with my IEM's. I do set the impedance hi lo switch to match the vol control impedance and that way it sounds good. It really shouldn't matter all that much unless there is something really wrong with the design (doubful). I don't remember the seller I bought from but they did not under report the value of the amp (33k yen, I think). They included me some "hello kitty" napkins, really funny
Got my PHA-1 today after a month shipping time. First impression is build quality is superb, feels solid like it will last forever.
First music test was with my not-even-broken-in MDR-1R's ran through USB with a Macbook Pro. This is my first experience with a headphone amp of any kind. From what I can tell after a few songs the bass sounds much better at louder volumes, thats about is so far...it pretty much sounds the same otherwise. I know its not the best review by far, but Ive only owned it for a few hours now.
On a side note, I tried the PHA-1 with my XBA4's and the power light would dim under heavy bass at loud volumes.
What do you mean by that? Im guessing the low impedance of the XBA4s is causing too much of a draw on the amp, they never really needed an amp, I just wanted to see what would happen.
I was so tempted to get the Sony primarily because it's an all-in-one for my iPod Classic and iPhone 5. I ruled out the Fostex HP-P1 and CLAS as they were too expensive. However the fact that the PHA-1 has only 5 hours battery life when using iDevice USB input plus the fact that I did not intend to use the other mini-USB inputs at all in the near or distant future dissuaded me. So it became a toss-up between the HP-P1 and the CLAS. I settled for the CLAS (14 hours battery life) and when paired with my "old" but very very very slim Arrow 3G, the size was comparable to the HP-P1 yet gave me the flexibility to switch amps around. At this very point in writing, I'm listening to the CLAS paired with my cMoyBB and HD650. This is not meant to "diss" the PHA-1. If a newer version is launched, and let's face it, Sony launches new versions every 200 days (or so it seems) and if it has longer battery life, I could, no I would, be tempted again.
Enjoy giving the PHA-1 a thorough workout. I read (on Head-Fi) the XBA4's have an extreme impedance curve that is difficult for amps.
Anybody using this with an Xperia Z android phone?
I tried the Apex Glacier and was really impressed with the sounds but music was randomly skipping for a split second and didn't have time to trace the issue.
I just purchased the xperia z and the pha-1. I assumed I could connect the z to the amp using a micro b to usb 2 connector as pictured here but seems not so I got the wrong cable. I will have to get a new cable a see what goes. I assumed you could connect based on the pics of this link. Anybody care to comment?
Thanks. I had a usb OTG and with the Glacier it was just plug and play (although no notification appeared that a USB device was plugged in). Apart from the random skipping it sounded great.
Rique, let me know how it goes.
Already use PHA-1 with Note2 for about 1 week.
Just concern about quick battery draining when using DAC (microUSB connected with Note2 via OTG cable), I got 3%~4% per hour when normal use, while about 30% per hour when using DAC to listen music, it just got me mad.
Sony told us in its operation manual,
[/quote] If you are listening to music too loudly, the battery may drain even if the unit is connected to a computer, or an AC outlet using the recommended USB AC Aadaptor (optional) [/unquote]
So... they IMPLY PHA-1 will still keep charging its batter when you listening music with PHA-1 connecting to a desktop PC, but what will happen if a mobile phone is connected?
According to my own observation, I believe it do, anybody can confirm this? thanks!
Edited by tkbf1 - 5/11/13 at 11:12am
- Sony PHA-1 portable DAC/amp
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Bottle Head Crack 240V custom build 33 seconds ago
- › How to clean Headphones Velours 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 3 minutes ago
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW FW. . link 1st page. . 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 6 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 9 minutes ago
- › Beats Solo 2.0 On-Ear Headphones (Red) by cb3723
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by MacroPower
- › Denon Urban Raver In-Ear Headphones, Blue (AH-C100BU) by MrTechAgent
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKN50 by bharathss
- › Audio Technica W5000 by CJ09
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by lofoscopico
- › Philips SHE3680 Headphones, Wired by suman134
- › Philips SHE9850 In-Ear Headphones with Advanced Acoustics by suman134
- › audio-technica AIR Dinamic Headphone ATH-AD2000X (Japan Import) by Quazimoto
- › HiSoundAudio E212 by fleasbaby
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)