- 6,016 Posts. Joined 3/2012
- Location: usa,florida,boca raton.
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Mid - High End DAC/AMP Combos (Please Rate) Last post on 12/12/12 at 8:35am in Portable Headphone Amps
- NEW Portable Cayin Spark C5 DAC/Amp Released MAY 2015 Last post on Today at 3:01 pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Recommendation - on Portable Headphone Amps/DAC Last post on 10/6/13 at 12:40am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Semi portable DAC / Amp Last post on 11/28/12 at 2:08pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 6/26/15
Head-Fi, Fiio X5 and me I came out of my lurking in January 2014 to join Head-Fi, I was looking for a DAP to replace my Creative Zen X-Fi's whose display had a 'black ink' spreading...
Foreword: I'm a production manager, but focus mostly on sound engineering. I install and tune a lot of P.A equipment, and also mix live acts in : - live venues, - concert halls, - bars, and -...
For me, they are the best ever. Maybe someday i'll listen to something 'better'? Well, we'll see. PD: The Highs can bother some people with their 2k and 8-9k peaks. For me it's fine, but it's...
In terms of design it is good looking and cofortable. Usb is meaningless to me, my laptops built-in sound card is better sounding than that usb. Sounding bad for its price. Still is good for casual...
It has a solid build that if you want to break them, you should do something extreme to them. Still it comes with 2 years of warranty and if you do break these, you can get a new one at %50...
Sony PHA-1 portable DAC/amp - Page 21
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I have not noticed a low high impedance difference yet ( using dac in) with my IEM's. I do set the impedance hi lo switch to match the vol control impedance and that way it sounds good. It really shouldn't matter all that much unless there is something really wrong with the design (doubful). I don't remember the seller I bought from but they did not under report the value of the amp (33k yen, I think). They included me some "hello kitty" napkins, really funny
Got my PHA-1 today after a month shipping time. First impression is build quality is superb, feels solid like it will last forever.
First music test was with my not-even-broken-in MDR-1R's ran through USB with a Macbook Pro. This is my first experience with a headphone amp of any kind. From what I can tell after a few songs the bass sounds much better at louder volumes, thats about is so far...it pretty much sounds the same otherwise. I know its not the best review by far, but Ive only owned it for a few hours now.
On a side note, I tried the PHA-1 with my XBA4's and the power light would dim under heavy bass at loud volumes.
What do you mean by that? Im guessing the low impedance of the XBA4s is causing too much of a draw on the amp, they never really needed an amp, I just wanted to see what would happen.
I was so tempted to get the Sony primarily because it's an all-in-one for my iPod Classic and iPhone 5. I ruled out the Fostex HP-P1 and CLAS as they were too expensive. However the fact that the PHA-1 has only 5 hours battery life when using iDevice USB input plus the fact that I did not intend to use the other mini-USB inputs at all in the near or distant future dissuaded me. So it became a toss-up between the HP-P1 and the CLAS. I settled for the CLAS (14 hours battery life) and when paired with my "old" but very very very slim Arrow 3G, the size was comparable to the HP-P1 yet gave me the flexibility to switch amps around. At this very point in writing, I'm listening to the CLAS paired with my cMoyBB and HD650. This is not meant to "diss" the PHA-1. If a newer version is launched, and let's face it, Sony launches new versions every 200 days (or so it seems) and if it has longer battery life, I could, no I would, be tempted again.
Enjoy giving the PHA-1 a thorough workout. I read (on Head-Fi) the XBA4's have an extreme impedance curve that is difficult for amps.
Anybody using this with an Xperia Z android phone?
I tried the Apex Glacier and was really impressed with the sounds but music was randomly skipping for a split second and didn't have time to trace the issue.
I just purchased the xperia z and the pha-1. I assumed I could connect the z to the amp using a micro b to usb 2 connector as pictured here but seems not so I got the wrong cable. I will have to get a new cable a see what goes. I assumed you could connect based on the pics of this link. Anybody care to comment?
Thanks. I had a usb OTG and with the Glacier it was just plug and play (although no notification appeared that a USB device was plugged in). Apart from the random skipping it sounded great.
Rique, let me know how it goes.
Already use PHA-1 with Note2 for about 1 week.
Just concern about quick battery draining when using DAC (microUSB connected with Note2 via OTG cable), I got 3%~4% per hour when normal use, while about 30% per hour when using DAC to listen music, it just got me mad.
Sony told us in its operation manual,
[/quote] If you are listening to music too loudly, the battery may drain even if the unit is connected to a computer, or an AC outlet using the recommended USB AC Aadaptor (optional) [/unquote]
So... they IMPLY PHA-1 will still keep charging its batter when you listening music with PHA-1 connecting to a desktop PC, but what will happen if a mobile phone is connected?
According to my own observation, I believe it do, anybody can confirm this? thanks!
Edited by tkbf1 - 5/11/13 at 11:12am
- Sony PHA-1 portable DAC/amp
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › [Review] Encore RockMaster OE (Over-Ear) - a superb $30 budget... 38 seconds ago
- › Some People Remember How Equipment Sounds! 1 minute ago
- › "The Lab" 2 minutes ago
- › Gustard Amplifiers and DACs 2 minutes ago
- › Some questions about settings (sample rate, latency, etc.) for an... 3 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 3 minutes ago
- › Project Ember Tube Rolling 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › New Kennerton ODIN (Planar Magnetic), MAGISTER, VALI... 5 minutes ago
- › Reversible AKG K701 bass mod 8 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Cagin
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by White Lotus
- › Etymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphones by ElMarcado
- › G430 Gaming Headset by Gonomon
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-80 by Gonomon
- › MSB Analog by negura
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by kar13
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM by YoYo JoKeR
- › Ultrasone Edition 5 unlimited by hechlok
- › Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System by Fademan77
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3