- 4,503 Posts. Joined 3/2012
- Location: usa,florida,boca raton.
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Mid - High End DAC/AMP Combos (Please Rate) Last post on 12/12/12 at 8:35am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Recommendation - on Portable Headphone Amps/DAC Last post on 10/6/13 at 12:40am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Semi portable DAC / Amp Last post on 11/28/12 at 2:08pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Need to choose a protable amp +/- DAC... What is your favorite, and why? Last post on 10/16/12 at 10:42pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 7/6/14
DAC OCU(B) 1866 — very interesting portable DAC/amp combo from Russian manufacturer Myst. Things I like: — Nice look. As OCUB is made in small quantities, it uses stock case, but case is fully...
i know you already read the threads full of people talking about how nice is this earphone. i know they're all talking about how cheap and bang for buck it is and which one is the original and...
Note: I'm not sure why, but for whatever reason the little bars at the side aren't matching what I put them to. Audio Quality, Design, and Value I all consider to be top notch, with comfort having...
This is a review of Bowers & Wilkins B&W C5 Series 2 (new 2014 version) in-ear premium headphones with in-line remote....
There aren't many sub-$10 IEMs in the market. With all the recent budget IEMs being priced at around $50, it leaves very little choice for people who are looking for a very cheap IEM. As far as I...
Sony PHA-1 portable DAC/amp - Page 21
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I have not noticed a low high impedance difference yet ( using dac in) with my IEM's. I do set the impedance hi lo switch to match the vol control impedance and that way it sounds good. It really shouldn't matter all that much unless there is something really wrong with the design (doubful). I don't remember the seller I bought from but they did not under report the value of the amp (33k yen, I think). They included me some "hello kitty" napkins, really funny
Got my PHA-1 today after a month shipping time. First impression is build quality is superb, feels solid like it will last forever.
First music test was with my not-even-broken-in MDR-1R's ran through USB with a Macbook Pro. This is my first experience with a headphone amp of any kind. From what I can tell after a few songs the bass sounds much better at louder volumes, thats about is so far...it pretty much sounds the same otherwise. I know its not the best review by far, but Ive only owned it for a few hours now.
On a side note, I tried the PHA-1 with my XBA4's and the power light would dim under heavy bass at loud volumes.
What do you mean by that? Im guessing the low impedance of the XBA4s is causing too much of a draw on the amp, they never really needed an amp, I just wanted to see what would happen.
I was so tempted to get the Sony primarily because it's an all-in-one for my iPod Classic and iPhone 5. I ruled out the Fostex HP-P1 and CLAS as they were too expensive. However the fact that the PHA-1 has only 5 hours battery life when using iDevice USB input plus the fact that I did not intend to use the other mini-USB inputs at all in the near or distant future dissuaded me. So it became a toss-up between the HP-P1 and the CLAS. I settled for the CLAS (14 hours battery life) and when paired with my "old" but very very very slim Arrow 3G, the size was comparable to the HP-P1 yet gave me the flexibility to switch amps around. At this very point in writing, I'm listening to the CLAS paired with my cMoyBB and HD650. This is not meant to "diss" the PHA-1. If a newer version is launched, and let's face it, Sony launches new versions every 200 days (or so it seems) and if it has longer battery life, I could, no I would, be tempted again.
Enjoy giving the PHA-1 a thorough workout. I read (on Head-Fi) the XBA4's have an extreme impedance curve that is difficult for amps.
Anybody using this with an Xperia Z android phone?
I tried the Apex Glacier and was really impressed with the sounds but music was randomly skipping for a split second and didn't have time to trace the issue.
I just purchased the xperia z and the pha-1. I assumed I could connect the z to the amp using a micro b to usb 2 connector as pictured here but seems not so I got the wrong cable. I will have to get a new cable a see what goes. I assumed you could connect based on the pics of this link. Anybody care to comment?
Thanks. I had a usb OTG and with the Glacier it was just plug and play (although no notification appeared that a USB device was plugged in). Apart from the random skipping it sounded great.
Rique, let me know how it goes.
Already use PHA-1 with Note2 for about 1 week.
Just concern about quick battery draining when using DAC (microUSB connected with Note2 via OTG cable), I got 3%~4% per hour when normal use, while about 30% per hour when using DAC to listen music, it just got me mad.
Sony told us in its operation manual,
[/quote] If you are listening to music too loudly, the battery may drain even if the unit is connected to a computer, or an AC outlet using the recommended USB AC Aadaptor (optional) [/unquote]
So... they IMPLY PHA-1 will still keep charging its batter when you listening music with PHA-1 connecting to a desktop PC, but what will happen if a mobile phone is connected?
According to my own observation, I believe it do, anybody can confirm this? thanks!
Edited by tkbf1 - 5/11/13 at 11:12am
- Sony PHA-1 portable DAC/amp
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 2.0 5 seconds ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones 59 seconds ago
- › Reviewers Wanted: Be One Of The First to Experience the RHA T10i 1 minute ago
- › FS: Bottlehead Crack w/ Speedball kit (or finished build) + many... 1 minute ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 1 minute ago
- › Suggest me a headphone under 150 $ 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › FS: HD800 (like new) 2 minutes ago
- › Kogan 8GB MP4 - The Player That Came From Nowhere: 3 minutes ago
- › Bicycle-Fi! 3 minutes ago
- › MyST 1866 by cleg
- › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 by vaziyetu
- › The Enigma by Levaix
- › Bowers & Wilkins C5 S2 In-Ear Headphones, Black by twister6
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › Bowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile Headphones by twister6
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)