- 4,297 Posts. Joined 3/2012
- Location: usa,florida,boca raton.
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Mid - High End DAC/AMP Combos (Please Rate) Last post on 12/12/12 at 8:35am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Great Portable/Desktop Amp and DAC/SoundCard for Sennheiser HD 558s Last post on 12/29/13 at 12:30pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Recommendation - on Portable Headphone Amps/DAC Last post on 10/6/13 at 12:40am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Semi portable DAC / Amp Last post on 11/28/12 at 2:08pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Need to choose a protable amp +/- DAC... What is your favorite, and why? Last post on 10/16/12 at 10:42pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 7/6/14
The sound of master 1s is trully great for its size, especially the lower end. As you can see the NOS arrived with deteriorated ear pad and it still sound good with lot of bass extension. Even...
Using TheHeadphoneList's Review Format Below Accessories - 3/5 You get a semi-hard case with a felt-like exterior that zips up and 3 different sized tips to help fit your ears....
Brainwavz HM9 is a portable / foldable, super comfortable headphone priced at $150 USD ($119 at the time of writting on Amazon) that surely grabs attention including mine, with it's stylish...
Ok guys, here's my take on the SennGrados... First of all, I would like to mention that these are not my personal cans, they are on loan to me as part of a tour that's spreading the word on...
I bought these after someone described them as his "desert island headphones" in the annual Head-Fi Gift Guide about 2 years ago. I was looking for something to wear at my desk in an open office...
Sony PHA-1 portable DAC/amp - Page 21
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I have not noticed a low high impedance difference yet ( using dac in) with my IEM's. I do set the impedance hi lo switch to match the vol control impedance and that way it sounds good. It really shouldn't matter all that much unless there is something really wrong with the design (doubful). I don't remember the seller I bought from but they did not under report the value of the amp (33k yen, I think). They included me some "hello kitty" napkins, really funny
Got my PHA-1 today after a month shipping time. First impression is build quality is superb, feels solid like it will last forever.
First music test was with my not-even-broken-in MDR-1R's ran through USB with a Macbook Pro. This is my first experience with a headphone amp of any kind. From what I can tell after a few songs the bass sounds much better at louder volumes, thats about is so far...it pretty much sounds the same otherwise. I know its not the best review by far, but Ive only owned it for a few hours now.
On a side note, I tried the PHA-1 with my XBA4's and the power light would dim under heavy bass at loud volumes.
What do you mean by that? Im guessing the low impedance of the XBA4s is causing too much of a draw on the amp, they never really needed an amp, I just wanted to see what would happen.
I was so tempted to get the Sony primarily because it's an all-in-one for my iPod Classic and iPhone 5. I ruled out the Fostex HP-P1 and CLAS as they were too expensive. However the fact that the PHA-1 has only 5 hours battery life when using iDevice USB input plus the fact that I did not intend to use the other mini-USB inputs at all in the near or distant future dissuaded me. So it became a toss-up between the HP-P1 and the CLAS. I settled for the CLAS (14 hours battery life) and when paired with my "old" but very very very slim Arrow 3G, the size was comparable to the HP-P1 yet gave me the flexibility to switch amps around. At this very point in writing, I'm listening to the CLAS paired with my cMoyBB and HD650. This is not meant to "diss" the PHA-1. If a newer version is launched, and let's face it, Sony launches new versions every 200 days (or so it seems) and if it has longer battery life, I could, no I would, be tempted again.
Enjoy giving the PHA-1 a thorough workout. I read (on Head-Fi) the XBA4's have an extreme impedance curve that is difficult for amps.
Anybody using this with an Xperia Z android phone?
I tried the Apex Glacier and was really impressed with the sounds but music was randomly skipping for a split second and didn't have time to trace the issue.
I just purchased the xperia z and the pha-1. I assumed I could connect the z to the amp using a micro b to usb 2 connector as pictured here but seems not so I got the wrong cable. I will have to get a new cable a see what goes. I assumed you could connect based on the pics of this link. Anybody care to comment?
Thanks. I had a usb OTG and with the Glacier it was just plug and play (although no notification appeared that a USB device was plugged in). Apart from the random skipping it sounded great.
Rique, let me know how it goes.
Already use PHA-1 with Note2 for about 1 week.
Just concern about quick battery draining when using DAC (microUSB connected with Note2 via OTG cable), I got 3%~4% per hour when normal use, while about 30% per hour when using DAC to listen music, it just got me mad.
Sony told us in its operation manual,
[/quote] If you are listening to music too loudly, the battery may drain even if the unit is connected to a computer, or an AC outlet using the recommended USB AC Aadaptor (optional) [/unquote]
So... they IMPLY PHA-1 will still keep charging its batter when you listening music with PHA-1 connecting to a desktop PC, but what will happen if a mobile phone is connected?
According to my own observation, I believe it do, anybody can confirm this? thanks!
Edited by tkbf1 - 5/11/13 at 11:12am
- Sony PHA-1 portable DAC/amp
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 42 seconds ago
- › Competitive Headset/Phone Set-up Idea? (PS4) 1 minute ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 2 minutes ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 2 minutes ago
- › DigiZoid ZO FS & ZO FS+ (a.k.a. ZO3) Updates & Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › V-Moda M100 vs Yamaha Pro 500 5 minutes ago
- › Nordost Heimdall headphone cable 5 minutes ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 7 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics ROCKETS: Appreciation Thread 7 minutes ago
- › 9/13/14 Lawrence, Kansas Headfi meeting Impression. 7 minutes ago
- › JVC HA-FX101 by bonami2
- › Pioneer MASTER-1s by kuantings
- › Bowers & Wilkins C5 Series 2 by RubxQub
- › Brainwavz HM9 Hi-Fi Noise Isolating Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by wormsdriver
- › Beyerdynamic T5p by trevorburnham
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by fleasbaby
- › HeadRoom Little With More Power Supply by Mshenay
- › beyerdynamic T50p by gotak
- › Havi B3 Pro 1 by Tom22
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)