Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Sony PHA-1 portable DAC/amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony PHA-1 portable DAC/amp - Page 13

post #181 of 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post

There isn't a chance that the DAC in this can stand up to the one in the HP-P1.

 

However, the amp might be better, only because the HP-P1 has an atrociously high output impedance.

Is 10.22 atrociously high?

post #182 of 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraguie View Post

Is 10.22 atrociously high?
same as the fostex hp_p1 (which i am going to sell) , not as high as the recent
Iriver ak100 dap at 20ohms or so.

But i have the centrance hifim8 on pre-order so everything works out in the end.
post #183 of 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatinJapan View Post


same as the fostex hp_p1 (which i am going to sell) , not as high as the recent
Iriver ak100 dap at 20ohms or so.

But i have the centrance hifim8 on pre-order so everything works out in the end.

Me too, my brother beerchug.gif

post #184 of 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraguie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post

There isn't a chance that the DAC in this can stand up to the one in the HP-P1.

 

However, the amp might be better, only because the HP-P1 has an atrociously high output impedance.

Is 10.22 atrociously high?

Yes, it is. You want as close to 0 as physically possible. High output impedances mess with the headphones.

post #185 of 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraguie View Post

Me too, my brother beerchug.gif
double win!
post #186 of 512

At the time of posting, I was under the impression one of the cables go into the PHA-1 via. 'Digital In' port. I have now confirmed there are 4 cables (just like some one else posted) and only the cable for apple products go into this port. Also a computer can be connected to the Digital In port with a separate USB cable.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerillaw View Post

Probably a line out. A line out is a constant volume signal that skips amplification and is therefore preferable to the headphone jack of a given player. However, a line out is still analog because it is sending a signal that is already converted form digital, it is just not amplified. 

 

The chain inside a player goes like this, generally speaking:

Song>DAC>"Line Out Signal" >Amplifier> headphone jack.

 

Gross oversimplification, but a good way to understand the process. A line out feeds a signal before it is amped. Many line out cables are sold for the iOS devices, for example. They theoretically improve upon the headphone jack by skipping the amplifier section, but they are analog insofar as that line signal has already been converted into analog by the DAC.  A true digital out would send only ones and zeros to a DAC for processing. 

I think it will only give an 'oomph' to the music in the bass department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidion27 View Post

apple is the only which can by pass the internal DAC. So if you use the PHA-1 with sony product it will only by pass the amp section of the DAP and nothing else.(Well that is my understanding of it)

Yep, thats right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm-phile View Post


It's analogue because the cable you refer to is terminated in a 3.5mm jack which plugs into the 'audio in' socket on the PHA-1.

There should be some reason why they would also provide a walkman jack to be used. My understanding from Japanese forums is quite difficult with the online translators. But one of the forums did mention that sound was good when this was paired with the Z.

 

I'm really interested in this device. And it maybe taken off the shelves soon just like the Z/A walkmans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidion27 View Post

somebody mentioned that the DAC might be the same in the pda-1 and the walkman line. which defeats the purpose of the pha-1

post #187 of 512

I couldnt hold off on this one, will have one by the end of the week.

post #188 of 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOBREEDER View Post

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidion27 View Post

apple is the only which can by pass the internal DAC. So if you use the PHA-1 with sony product it will only by pass the amp section of the DAP and nothing else.(Well that is my understanding of it)

Yep, thats right!

Excuse me, AUDIOBREEDER. I am a noob for head-fi. frown.gif

I have chance to tryout PHA-1, using iPod touch 3 as a source (through dock to USB cable).

However, I tried if I changed the EQ settings under "Music" section, the sounds changes.

 

Does it mean PHA-1 is not operating at DAC mode?

Will the same thing happen to HP-P1?

I believe EQ settings should have no effects if iPod touch is really sending digital signal to PHA-1 in such case.

 

Please help clear up the question in my mind. frown.gif

post #189 of 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdallen View Post

Excuse me, AUDIOBREEDER. I am a noob for head-fi. frown.gif

I have chance to tryout PHA-1, using iPod touch 3 as a source (through dock to USB cable).

However, I tried if I changed the EQ settings under "Music" section, the sounds changes.

 

Does it mean PHA-1 is not operating at DAC mode?

Will the same thing happen to HP-P1?

I believe EQ settings should have no effects if iPod touch is really sending digital signal to PHA-1 in such case.

 

Please help clear up the question in my mind. frown.gif

Basically, you are bypassing the dac of the ipod touch to the pha-1.

ie. The dac converts the audio from a digital signal to an analog one and this goes to the amplifier to your iem/headphone.

 

Putting the volume on near maximum on the mp3 player & gradually increasing the volume on the amp, is what I hear is the safest thing to do not only for the amp but also for your EARS!

 

Equalizing via. the ipod touch will give you better benefits. Equalizer will still work even though you have bypassed the dac,

 

I dont have the pha-1 yet in my hands. Its on its way. I got it at a great price (under $350) so I couldn't pass it off.

 

Can you tell me, if you noticed any major change in sound quality when you used it with the ipod touch?

I will be using mine with the Z walkman and hope it pairs well .

post #190 of 512

'The eagle has landed'

 

The amp has traveled roughly 6752 miles in 4 days and has safely reached my door!

It was a nail biting experience thinking it would be lost en route.

post #191 of 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOBREEDER View Post

'The eagle has landed'

 

The amp has traveled roughly 6752 miles in 4 days and has safely reached my door!

It was a nail biting experience thinking it would be lost en route.

congratulations man!:)
This probably would've been my first dac/amp... but I'm too hellovapoor to buy it biggrin.gif

Sexiest portable piece of equipment I've seen.

post #192 of 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOBREEDER View Post

'The eagle has landed'

 

The amp has traveled roughly 6752 miles in 4 days and has safely reached my door!

It was a nail biting experience thinking it would be lost en route.

 

Can't wait for your impressions sir! :D

post #193 of 512

This is my third dac/amp. I haven't had the chance to listen to it yet, but man to think it traveled so far and to arrive in such a pristine condition is what appalls me more (than the amp).

First impressions (from sight),

1. This thing is really small (looking at pics on the internet it looked really big). Its maybe the size of your palm or bit smaller.

2. The weight of this is just about right (not too heavy nor too light)

3. The look: Its looks like one of those die cast cars (without the wheels). Sexy as hell. The volume knob is well protected. It turns smoothly.

 

That's it for now. I haven't had the chance to hear how it sounds, but it going to compete with my Audioengine D1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrViolin View Post

congratulations man!:)
This probably would've been my first dac/amp... but I'm too hellovapoor to buy it biggrin.gif

Sexiest portable piece of equipment I've seen.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xallarap View Post

Can't wait for your impressions sir! :D

post #194 of 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOBREEDER View Post

Basically, you are bypassing the dac of the ipod touch to the pha-1.

ie. The dac converts the audio from a digital signal to an analog one and this goes to the amplifier to your iem/headphone.

 

Putting the volume on near maximum on the mp3 player & gradually increasing the volume on the amp, is what I hear is the safest thing to do not only for the amp but also for your EARS!

 

Equalizing via. the ipod touch will give you better benefits. Equalizer will still work even though you have bypassed the dac,

 

I dont have the pha-1 yet in my hands. Its on its way. I got it at a great price (under $350) so I couldn't pass it off.

 

Can you tell me, if you noticed any major change in sound quality when you used it with the ipod touch?

I will be using mine with the Z walkman and hope it pairs well .

 

Thanks for telling me that iPod EQ still works even handing off DAC tasks to Sony PHA-1.

I am using UE 900 for IEM, PHA-1 is quite clean when pairing with this and sadly I could not figure out much difference from using the phone out. frown.gif

I also tried to pair with MDR-1R and it sounds much better.

Hope it will work well with your earphone. L3000.gif

post #195 of 512

Is this good for desktop DAC/amp with a Mac?  Will it sound better than DragonFly?

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Sony PHA-1 portable DAC/amp