Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Looking To Get a Mixer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking To Get a Mixer

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I am looking into getting a Mixer, for when I play live, but I had a few questions concerning what to get.. First off, I know what a mixer does, and for what purpose I need it for, so don't flame me, for my under knowledgeable questions.. (Okay, well I think I understand the purpose of one.. It's for routing multiple signals through the mixers inputs, to carry sound across, and distribute it to the master channel?)
 
I was looking on SweetWater, and saw they had Analog, and Digital Mixer, as well as powered.. I presume Analog means RCA, or any analog connection, and digital means USB? I also presume powered, has phantom power, so you can use a condenser mic mic? I did however see line mixers, but idk what those even are O__O...
 
My situation is like this.. I am going to be playing live, in a few weeks time, and I need a mixing console to fulfill my needs... I currently own an Akai MPK Mini, and an Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, so the audio, and midi functions are taken care of, but I still need a mixer, to mix the live sound, and EQ the levels, adequately, so it sounds good..
 
My budget is $300 max for a mixer... I don't need a top of the line one, just something that will work...
 
Thanks,
 
- SMOR3S
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOR3S View Post

I am looking into getting a Mixer, for when I play live, but I had a few questions concerning what to get.. First off, I know what a mixer does, and for what purpose I need it for, so don't flame me, for my under knowledgeable questions.. (Okay, well I think I understand the purpose of one.. It's for routing multiple signals through the mixers inputs, to carry sound across, and distribute it to the master channel?)
 
I was looking on SweetWater, and saw they had Analog, and Digital Mixer, as well as powered.. I presume Analog means RCA, or any analog connection, and digital means USB? I also presume powered, has phantom power, so you can use a condenser mic mic? I did however see line mixers, but idk what those even are O__O...
 
My situation is like this.. I am going to be playing live, in a few weeks time, and I need a mixing console to fulfill my needs... I currently own an Akai MPK Mini, and an Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, so the audio, and midi functions are taken care of, but I still need a mixer, to mix the live sound, and EQ the levels, adequately, so it sounds good..
 
My budget is $300 max for a mixer... I don't need a top of the line one, just something that will work...
 
Thanks,
 
- SMOR3S

Okay, this is probably going to take more than a few posts back and forth to set you on the right track.

A Analog mixer deals purely in analog sound, simply inputs(Mic, Line-level) to line level outputs.

A Digital mixer lets you hook It up to your computer of choice to, well, let you use the computer to cooperate with the mixer in different ways depending on the mixer.

A Powered mixer has speaker level outputs, therefore bypassing the need for an external speaker amplifier.

Almost all mixers today have phantom power.

Are you a Dj, in a band or what? Where are you going to be playing live?  A venue, a Club, a wedding, backyard?


Edited by John In Cali - 8/26/12 at 7:57pm
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by John In Cali View Post

Okay, this is probably going to take more than a few posts back and forth to set you on the right track.

A Analog mixer deals purely in analog sound, simply inputs(Mic, Line-level) to line level outputs.

A Digital mixer lets you hook It up to your computer of choice to, well, let you use the computer to cooperate with the mixer in different ways depending on the mixer.

A Powered mixer has speaker level outputs, therefore bypassing the need for an external speaker amplifier.

Almost all mixers today have phantom power.

Are you a Dj, in a band or what? Where are you going to be playing live?  A venue, a Club, a wedding, backyard?

 

I am going to play at a venue, at BronyCon 2013 next year, and Canterlot Gardens in September 2012... I needed something that I could hook to my Laptop, and my Scarlett 2i2

 

Thanks for the quick feedback /)

 

- SMOR3S

post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOR3S View Post

 

I am going to play at a venue, at BronyCon 2013 next year, and Canterlot Gardens in September 2012... I needed something that I could hook to my Laptop, and my Scarlett 2i2

 

Thanks for the quick feedback /)

 

- SMOR3S

Seems like you wouldn't need a mixer, If they already have a P.A., you should just be able to line out from your laptop or Scarlett into their set-up.

post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by John In Cali View Post

Seems like you wouldn't need a mixer, If they already have a P.A., you should just be able to line out from your laptop or Scarlett into their set-up.

I saw Voodoo Pony at EFNW use 2x CDJ's and a Mixer on his set, and then others just used like an iPAD LOL..

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e2l8E6yDGk

 

Go to 1:40 in that video, and watch..

post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOR3S View Post

I saw Voodoo Pony at EFNW use 2x CDJ's and a Mixer on his set, and then others just used like an iPAD LOL..

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e2l8E6yDGk

 

Go to 1:40 in that video, and watch..

Well, If he brought it, there were one of two reasons, 1) He needed it for his performance, 2) wanted to look more professional.  If either of those two apply to you then get a DJ mixer and CDJ type ordeal.  But you probably don't, so your laptop/interface set-up should do fine. 

post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by John In Cali View Post

Well, If he brought it, there were one of two reasons, 1) He needed it for his performance, 2) wanted to look more professional.  If either of those two apply to you then get a DJ mixer and CDJ type ordeal.  But you probably don't, so your laptop/interface set-up should do fine. 

Would this increase my performance live? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjsLxzTxN-Q :3

post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOR3S View Post

Would this increase my performance live? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjsLxzTxN-Q :3

Haha, I don't think anything can make Skillrex more bearable, but that's like, my opinion, man.

But ya if you want to buy a mixer to make your self look like your messing with knobs, then that's up to you.

http://gizmodo.com/5921053/all-djs-are-glorified-button-pushers

post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by John In Cali View Post

Haha, I don't think anything can make Skillrex more bearable, but that's like, my opinion, man.

But ya if you want to buy a mixer to make your self look like your messing with knobs, then that's up to you.

http://gizmodo.com/5921053/all-djs-are-glorified-button-pushers

Ya, that article, basically sums up, 100% of EDM Producers. Could you look around for me, and see what mixers, you can find for cheap :3. Even if it's not turned on *cough* David Guetta *cough* jk, it'll still be cool, to push buttons, and turn knobs.. I get hyped when I get on stage, and play a set. I am jumping, humping :3, moving, bobbing.. I am so into the music bro, so I need to keep my self entertained a bit :3

post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOR3S View Post

Ya, that article, basically sums up, 100% of EDM Producers. Could you look around for me, and see what mixers, you can find for cheap :3. Even if it's not turned on *cough* David Guetta *cough* jk, it'll still be cool, to push buttons, and turn knobs.. I get hyped when I get on stage, and play a set. I am jumping, humping :3, moving, bobbing.. I am so into the music bro, so I need to keep my self entertained a bit :3

Its just, there isn't a lot you can do with a mixer.  Maybe you get a usb keyboard and set if up to play a sound, or beatpad type thing, maybe a drum or two.  Just to hit when things get exiting and you want to slam on something. Mess around on your laptop.

post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by John In Cali View Post

Its just, there isn't a lot you can do with a mixer.  Maybe you get a usb keyboard and set if up to play a sound, or beatpad type thing, maybe a drum or two.  Just to hit when things get exiting and you want to slam on something. Mess around on your laptop.

Ya, I need to watch more Skrillex videos, aye :3

 

I think I mentioned, I own an Akai MPK Mini, idk :/.. I also need to learn how to do stuff like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blR-7v_hC6E

 

0:19 and 0:23

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › Looking To Get a Mixer