Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › transistor vs. tube amplifier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

transistor vs. tube amplifier

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Hi,

 

atm im using a AKG K240 headphone which is directly connected to my PC. Im not using loudspeakers -> my headphones are my main sound source.

That means the amplifier has to run whenever im using my PC, which is quite often.

I really like the look of tube amplifiers but im not sure if its wise considering that it will run full-time.

 

Any thoughts? 

 

My Budget is around 200€. The most expensive amp im considering right now, is the Dark Voice 336.

 

-yashi

post #2 of 12

Probably the first time this has been asked!biggrin.gif

 

All of what I'm writing is IMO, and may not be fact.

 

A well design OTL tube amp= 100% Truth, as in whats on the recording is what your going to hear. You'll get a ton of well defined sound stage, with a liquid midrange, clear honest highs and a well defined tight bass and a lot of over all detail.

 

A well designed SS amp will give you bass slam(touching on a loudness effect), clear highs, medium defined sound stage and a smooth midrange and medium over all detail.

 

A well designed Hi-brid will give you most all of the aspects of a SS amp with a touch of the liquid tube magic in the mid range.

 

My finding are limited to sub $1000. headphone amps. I've never owned a output transformer coupled  tubes amp.

post #3 of 12

OTL amps are not a good match for the low impedance AKGs.  You'll want a hybrid or a transformer-coupled tube amp.
 

post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post

OTL amps are not a good match for the low impedance AKGs.  You'll want a hybrid or a transformer-coupled tube amp.
 

Yes, there is that!

 

I've got to get to Costco, there's a HotDog with my name on it.tongue_smile.gif

post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tom View Post

Yes, there is that!

 

I've got to get to Costco, there's a HotDog with my name on it.tongue_smile.gif

Gotta love those $1.50 Polish dogs w/drink now THAT'S a value.

post #6 of 12
yeah, stay away from an otl for those. You'll be pushing it hard to get those 240s rockin.

Look at the more powerful stuff from Schiit and others claiming to drive orthos.

and yes, the Costco dog and soda vice is a private treat but not too often. Love the polish.
Edited by Happy Camper - 8/27/12 at 5:23pm
post #7 of 12

it would help to know what AKG K240 you're talking about - the Studio Monitor version is 600 Ohm 88 dB/mW

 

but they like the model # so much they also have the K240 MkII with 55 Ohms, 104 dB/mW

post #8 of 12

Pretty much the long-discontinued vintage versions are 600 ohms, like the DF as well.

 

Confusingly, there's a K240S (Studio) that's the 55 ohm version like the MKII.

post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by yashi View Post

I'm using a AKG K240 headphone which is directly connected to my PC. Im not using loudspeakers -> my headphones are my main sound source.

That means the amplifier has to run whenever im using my PC, which is quite often.

I really like the look of tube amplifiers but im not sure if its wise considering that it will run full-time.

My Budget is around 200€. The most expensive amp im considering right now, is the Dark Voice 336.

Save a few Euros and but this stuff used.

Asus Xonar DX or D1 sound card, CS4398 DAC chip.

Fiio E9 headphone amplifier

post #10 of 12

don't see what headphone output op amp chip the DX, D1 use but the Asus Xonar Essence card uses the TPA6120 - definitely wouldn't need a outboard amp with 55 Ohm cans - the TPA6120 is used for headphone out in US$3k DACs


Edited by jcx - 8/28/12 at 10:11am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post

Don't see what headphone output op amp chip the DX, D1 use but the Asus Xonar Essence card uses the TPA6120 - definitely wouldn't need a outboard amp with 55 Ohm cans - the TPA6120 is used for headphone out in US$3k DACs

The Xonar DX & D1 sound cards do not come with a built in headphone amplifier.

But they are a great value for use with an external headphone amplifier.

post #12 of 12

Why would you want the E9 w/ 40/10 output Z on a 55ohm phone?  It's cheap but not that great.  The O2 is a far better buy than the E9.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › transistor vs. tube amplifier