Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Eddie Current 2A3 - New updated version, new look with polished top
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Eddie Current 2A3 - New updated version, new look with polished top - Page 4

post #46 of 111

It boggles my mind that the EC 2A3 doesn't sell as well as the Stratus does.  Could be because the EC BA is the top amp and the 2A3 is thought of as mid level?  Who knows.  If I was in the market for a ~$2500 DHT amp the EC would be it but apparently I'm alone :(

post #47 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

It boggles my mind that the EC 2A3 doesn't sell as well as the Stratus does.  Could be because the EC BA is the top amp and the 2A3 is thought of as mid level?  Who knows.  If I was in the market for a ~$2500 DHT amp the EC would be it but apparently I'm alone :(

Last month I've order a EC Electra for my SR-009. If the quality is as good as it seems to be, I think taking a 2A3 for my other headphones.

I don't like the blue color of the Stratus tongue.gif

It's a pity, it's looks to be a very good amp too ...

post #48 of 111
Thread Starter 

If you do, do let us know and share thoughts on tubes!

 

One obversation, recommend placing the external power supply well away from the amp as the output transformers are sensitive to the large psu. Also for tube adapter (say for driver) use one that made with quality parts over standard one - much nicer result.  Sound can change a lot depending on tubes used.


Edited by SleepyOne - 5/4/13 at 12:53pm
post #49 of 111

I just put my deposit down for the updated 2A3.  It is now using the same high-frequency heater as the BA and has a solid state power supply.  According to Craig this will give a faster sound and work better on speakers than the old tube rectifier power supply.   Should be interesting to see how it turns out. I don't think he has made too many of the updated versions yet.
 

post #50 of 111
Thread Starter 

That's sound good. Extra speed is handy for sure, not that it is slow to begin with. Plus less tube cost nice! Using tube rectifier psu means sound will differ depending on what tube is used, so SS psu equals one less variable. Did you get other upgrade with the amp?


Edited by SleepyOne - 5/4/13 at 7:27pm
post #51 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

It boggles my mind that the EC 2A3 doesn't sell as well as the Stratus does.  Could be because the EC BA is the top amp and the 2A3 is thought of as mid level?  Who knows.  If I was in the market for a ~$2500 DHT amp the EC would be it but apparently I'm alone :(

popcorn.gif


Edited by Frank I - 5/4/13 at 8:06pm
post #52 of 111
Thread Starter 

Frank I don't think he refer to stratus, I think he means EC 2A3 mid tier in EC product line.

post #53 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyOne View Post

Frank I don't think he refer to stratus, I think he means EC 2A3 mid tier in EC product line.

Ok thought  he meant the Stratus fixed it


Edited by Frank I - 5/4/13 at 8:07pm
post #54 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stapsy View Post

I just put my deposit down for the updated 2A3.  It is now using the same high-frequency heater as the BA and has a solid state power supply.  According to Craig this will give a faster sound and work better on speakers than the old tube rectifier power supply.   Should be interesting to see how it turns out. I don't think he has made too many of the updated versions yet.
 

 

Whoa. I guess he's going with the solid-state damper diodes now? I know he shipped out a batch of 2A3s (still tube rectified) with the HF heaters about a month or so ago. I also know he was tinkering around with power supplies. If he went with the solid-state diodes, it probably means that they were more bitching, i.e. more dynamic and slammin' than the 5U4G's. That's definitely good news.


Edited by purrin - 5/4/13 at 10:01pm
post #55 of 111

I've ask Craig for a 2A3 and he only tell me that the new model is full option, there are no more upgrade possibility like before...

But he don't tell something about SS PSU.

post #56 of 111
Thread Starter 

So did he say what output transformers and volume control are used in the new version?

post #57 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyOne View Post

So did he say what output transformers and volume control are used in the new version?

No informations... Send him a email. I already ask him about the PSU !

post #58 of 111

If the current 2A3 is in fact a SS HF power supply that is... UBER!  Makes it a down right bargain given the price of entry used to be the $4000+ BA.

post #59 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyOne View Post

So did he say what output transformers and volume control are used in the new version?

 

Same Electra-print output transformer and the volume control is the Alps blue velvet...I upgraded it to the P&G pot.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post

 

Whoa. I guess he's going with the solid-state damper diodes now? I know he shipped out a batch of 2A3s (still tube rectified) with the HF heaters about a month or so ago. I also know he was tinkering around with power supplies. If he went with the solid-state diodes, it probably means that they were more bitching, i.e. more dynamic and slammin' than the 5U4G's. That's definitely good news.

 

Yup its the solid-state damper diodes.  If you want to test it out in your system before Craig sends it to me shoot me a PM, not that the 2A3 is anything compared to the incoming Leviathan!

post #60 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

If the current 2A3 is in fact a SS HF power supply that is... UBER!  Makes it a down right bargain given the price of entry used to be the $4000+ BA.


I am really interested in how the high frequency heater sounds in the 2A3.  The power supply is coming in the same larger box that he uses for the BA psu, since it now contains the high frequency heater. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Eddie Current 2A3 - New updated version, new look with polished top