What have you guys found to be the best-sounding source under $2K for a non-headphones amp/speakers setup? I always thought it would be a dialed-in computer and a nice USB DAC but my eyes have been opened to the excellent sound produced by some portables and I wonder if something like the iPod+CLAS would beat a comparably-priced computer+DAC. Or maybe an iPod+CLAS+DAC?
Related Forum Threads
- Music Server Solution? Last post on 8/12/12 at 7:12pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Is there a DAC that sounds better than the Ipod/Ipad line out ? Last post on 11/28/12 at 10:14pm in Portable Source Gear
- DAC to use with my ipod Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:44am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Looking for a DAC, need recommendations please. Last post on 10/31/12 at 12:06am in Dedicated Source Components
- Cheap DACs coming for iPhone 5? Last post on 10/6/12 at 3:01am in Portable Headphone Amps
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)Last edited: 12/28/12
(Note - XL ear pads are installed. The sound will be judged based on that.) Introduction: I purchased these headphones mainly out of curiosity. I was reading reviews and watching youtubers...
Accessories: Includes a pouch and cable. Pouch is well-built, compact, and stylish. Soft, flexible cable has never tangled for me in my time with it. Right angled jack is durable and well-relieved....
First off, I would like to thank Noisehush for sending me the NX85's! I'll get into the review now. Packaging: The NX85 come in a sturdy black card board box. It is all black, except the...
The LH Labs Geek Out had a lot to live up to. A good 7+ months ago, the Geek Out started as a concept. This concept was to bring a high quality audio experience into a small and affordable device....
If you like electric music or hip hop rap,this is it,but if you want a more balanced sound you better go for the sennheiser momentum or ue6000.
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)
Best-sounding source for amp/speakers?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Yea, I was looking at the Sorore too. But if you don't need a device with a CD rom to do ripping, don't need the auto backup, already have a harddrive, etc and brake it down to it's basic (or most important) parts - then you have the pk90 and pk100- a music player that can't be distracted by anything except simply playing music. It does have a SSD drive it uses to run though and I think the song that is playing gets loaded to and is buffered from the SSD.
- Best-sounding source for amp/speakers?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound ! 53 seconds ago
- › Best Headphones (NOT EARBUDS) For Biking With a Helmet 1 minute ago
- › HeadAmp Headphone Demos -- Audeze LCD-X and LCD-XC sign up on Black... 1 minute ago
- › REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature... 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 1 minute ago
- › REVIEW: Ostry KC06 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for... 2 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 3 minutes ago
- › Headphones for Travel and frustration with Sennheiser 219 3 minutes ago
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by zach8278
- › Ultimate Ears UE4000 Headphones by gopats1479
- › NoiseHush NX85 Stereo 3.5mm Headset with Mic - Retail Packaging -... by Mathewsa
- › LHLabs Geek Out by bhazard
- › Monster Inspiration by betterthan1122
- › Meridian Explorer by zolkis
- › Beyerdynamic T51P Tesla Headphone - Silver by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by zach8278
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by White Lotus
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by 2001Audiophile
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude