What have you guys found to be the best-sounding source under $2K for a non-headphones amp/speakers setup? I always thought it would be a dialed-in computer and a nice USB DAC but my eyes have been opened to the excellent sound produced by some portables and I wonder if something like the iPod+CLAS would beat a comparably-priced computer+DAC. Or maybe an iPod+CLAS+DAC?
Related Forum Threads
- Music Server Solution? Last post on 8/12/12 at 7:12pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Is there a DAC that sounds better than the Ipod/Ipad line out ? Last post on 11/28/12 at 10:14pm in Portable Source Gear
- DAC to use with my ipod Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:44am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Looking for a DAC, need recommendations please. Last post on 10/31/12 at 12:06am in Dedicated Source Components
- Cheap DACs coming for iPhone 5? Last post on 10/6/12 at 3:01am in Portable Headphone Amps
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)
Edited on 12/28/12
Very nice amp for mid-fiers to entry high-fiers. The sound quality and specs are very good for the price. Works very well with Jazz and Classical music in particular (not that rock and...
My pair was a supposed demo model from one of Hifiman's retailers. They came in mint condition, which is lucky for me. I'm not using a balanced cable yet, but I already feel it's a good upgrade...
The JVC HA M750's were my first "real" pair of headphones. Previously, I had just used iPod headphones and cheap 10 dollar headphones from my local grocery store. As such, I was very impressed by...
Introduction The ASG-2 is Aurisonics' second (official) foray into the world of iems. The guys over at Aurisonics cater primarily to the music professional crowd, and their products are...
Best-sounding source for amp/speakers?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
Yea, I was looking at the Sorore too. But if you don't need a device with a CD rom to do ripping, don't need the auto backup, already have a harddrive, etc and brake it down to it's basic (or most important) parts - then you have the pk90 and pk100- a music player that can't be distracted by anything except simply playing music. It does have a SSD drive it uses to run though and I think the song that is playing gets loaded to and is buffered from the SSD.
- Best-sounding source for amp/speakers?
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Rein Audio X3-DAC Review 5 seconds ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's musings: in the hi-fidelity, first... 8 seconds ago
- › Multi-IEM Review - 281 IEMs compared (VSonic GR07 BE and R02 Silver... 1 minute ago
- › Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with crazy low prices (including... 1 minute ago
- › Aune T1 USB Tube DAC+Amp Discussion Thread ***See first post for... 2 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH-900/TH-600 or LCD-2 for basshead (with sample playlist) 2 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Jant71's take on the new ATH-CLR100 Pg... 3 minutes ago
- › K701 appreciation thread! 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Audio-gd NFB-5 by citadel
- › HE-5LE by JamesHuntington
- › Kozee Sound Solutions Infinity X2 by Insight Reviews
- › JVC HA M750 by tinamou62
- › Aurisonics ASG-2 by eke2k6
- › Sennheiser HD-558 by Tr1ckster
- › Go-Dap DD Socket1 (DD/DA Converter) for iPhone & iPod... by AnakChan
- › Philips SHL5905BK/28 CitiScape Uptown by Marleybob217
- › AKG K 550 by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by a_recording
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe