What have you guys found to be the best-sounding source under $2K for a non-headphones amp/speakers setup? I always thought it would be a dialed-in computer and a nice USB DAC but my eyes have been opened to the excellent sound produced by some portables and I wonder if something like the iPod+CLAS would beat a comparably-priced computer+DAC. Or maybe an iPod+CLAS+DAC?
Related Forum Threads
- Music Server Solution? Last post on 8/12/12 at 7:12pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Is there a DAC that sounds better than the Ipod/Ipad line out ? Last post on 11/28/12 at 10:14pm in Portable Source Gear
- DAC to use with my ipod Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:44am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Looking for a DAC, need recommendations please. Last post on 10/31/12 at 12:06am in Dedicated Source Components
- Cheap DACs coming for iPhone 5? Last post on 10/6/12 at 3:01am in Portable Headphone Amps
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)Last edited: 12/28/12
Been looking for some new closed headphones, with only three at the moment and for some time in fact. Good ones, though: Sony MDR Z1000, Sony MDR 7520, and Senn Amperiors, Sometimes you just...
There are many great headphones in this SUB-$150 category , I have a good amount of headphones in the range and have tried a good enough of them to know what to expect in this category The...
(Note - XL ear pads are installed. The sound will be judged based on that.) Introduction: I purchased these headphones mainly out of curiosity. I was reading reviews and watching youtubers...
Accessories: Includes a pouch and cable. Pouch is well-built, compact, and stylish. Soft, flexible cable has never tangled for me in my time with it. Right angled jack is durable and well-relieved....
First off, I would like to thank Noisehush for sending me the NX85's! I'll get into the review now. Packaging: The NX85 come in a sturdy black card board box. It is all black, except the...
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)
Best-sounding source for amp/speakers?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Yea, I was looking at the Sorore too. But if you don't need a device with a CD rom to do ripping, don't need the auto backup, already have a harddrive, etc and brake it down to it's basic (or most important) parts - then you have the pk90 and pk100- a music player that can't be distracted by anything except simply playing music. It does have a SSD drive it uses to run though and I think the song that is playing gets loaded to and is buffered from the SSD.
- Best-sounding source for amp/speakers?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Music City Meet / Nashville, TN Area / May 10, 2014 (UPDATED 3/4/2014) 32 seconds ago
- › The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon Thread 1 minute ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... 6 minutes ago
- › New Teac HA-P50-B Portable DAC Amp 6 minutes ago
- › What's Your Alcoholic Drink of Choice? // Drink Discussion 7 minutes ago
- › Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good. 10 minutes ago
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by zazex
- › Ultrasone HFI-450 by MrTechAgent
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by zach8278
- › Ultimate Ears UE4000 Headphones by gopats1479
- › NoiseHush NX85 Stereo 3.5mm Headset with Mic - Retail Packaging -... by Mathewsa
- › LHLabs Geek Out by bhazard
- › Monster Inspiration by betterthan1122
- › Meridian Explorer by zolkis
- › Beyerdynamic T51P Tesla Headphone - Silver by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by zach8278
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude