What have you guys found to be the best-sounding source under $2K for a non-headphones amp/speakers setup? I always thought it would be a dialed-in computer and a nice USB DAC but my eyes have been opened to the excellent sound produced by some portables and I wonder if something like the iPod+CLAS would beat a comparably-priced computer+DAC. Or maybe an iPod+CLAS+DAC?
Related Forum Threads
- Music Server Solution? Last post on 8/12/12 at 7:12pm in Dedicated Source Components
- Is there a DAC that sounds better than the Ipod/Ipad line out ? Last post on 11/28/12 at 10:14pm in Portable Source Gear
- DAC to use with my ipod Last post on 11/6/12 at 6:44am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Looking for a DAC, need recommendations please. Last post on 10/31/12 at 12:06am in Dedicated Source Components
- Cheap DACs coming for iPhone 5? Last post on 10/6/12 at 3:01am in Portable Headphone Amps
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)Last edited: 12/28/12
I have had these now for a few months. I heard they had a very bass orientated sound but not so much that it ruins everything else. When i first purchased these i was a bit confused as to why they...
I bought a pair of HM5s about 6 months ago. They give you absolutely great sound for under $150 but I ran into a big problem. Both sides where the slider connects to the headphones started to...
First a bit of background on my experiences with headphone amps. I have tried the Fiio E17, Objective 2, the 2.3W amp built into my laptop, my Yamaha receiver's headphone out and a cheap $40...
I bought these cans 2 years ago and sold them to get the ATH-M50, which then lead me into the audio world. Overall these are good portable headphones with great build quality. The sound, however,...
The Sennheiser Momentum On Ear is bursting with goodness. Nice looks, sound, and great value to go with it. Now, Let's go straight into it! These look so phenomenal, with all that alcantara...
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable Devices)
Best-sounding source for amp/speakers?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Yea, I was looking at the Sorore too. But if you don't need a device with a CD rom to do ripping, don't need the auto backup, already have a harddrive, etc and brake it down to it's basic (or most important) parts - then you have the pk90 and pk100- a music player that can't be distracted by anything except simply playing music. It does have a SSD drive it uses to run though and I think the song that is playing gets loaded to and is buffered from the SSD.
- Best-sounding source for amp/speakers?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The Basshead Club 3 seconds ago
- › Philips Fidelio X1 | Review & Comparison 36 seconds ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 39 seconds ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Parts/Overclocking) 1 minute ago
- › Focal SPIRIT PROFESSIONAL Appreciation Society 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › Chord Hugo 2 minutes ago
- › New OPPO HA-1 (CES 2014) 4 minutes ago
- › Beresford Bushmaster TC-7530 and Bushmaster MKII TC-7533 Comparison... 4 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.2.8 4 minutes ago
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob