OK. I think I'm ready to take the plunge into an Audio-GD NFB-11. My path to here has been ODAC (which I like), and then Objective 2, Schiit Asgard 2 and Meier Corda Rock.
* Objective 2--decent sound. Horrible usability with all the connections on the front with the small interface. Got rid of it.
* The Asgard 2--great pre-amp, great sound, hate that it runs so hot all the time. Wish the gain switch were on the front.
* Meir Corda Rock--like the Asgard 2 sound a bit better. Love the small compact size, but really need a pre-amp for my speakers. Hate using my Niles switching box and then a Fostex volume control.
So now I'm ready for an all in one unit, and I can easily fund the NFB-11 by selling off the ODAC, Asgard 2, and Meier Corda Rock . A few questions:
1) My main question is how hot does the NFB-11 run? I'm guessing it can't be as bad as the Asgard 2 which, as full Class A, is running full out all the time when switched on. My home office is warm in the summer, so I really want to get away from an amp that is a heater just when it's turned on doing nothing
2) Are most people using the standard transformer or the upgrade?
3) TCXO upgrade seem very helpful for USB? Even Audio-GD describes it as minimal SQ improvement.
Thanks in advance.Edited by cel4145 - 7/19/14 at 1:21pm