Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Will music from itunes sound bad in the hd600?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Will music from itunes sound bad in the hd600?

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

Im planning on buying the hd600 soon, but all of my songs are from itunes which are recorded poorly. Is the hd600 not worth getting if I only have songs from itunes (the only headphone I currently have is the m50). The problem is a lot of the music I listen to is modern so there isn't a version which isn't compressed, but I also listen to older bands. The older bands which I currently listen to are metallica, nirvana, and AC/DC (I'll probably listen to more older bands in the future), but I'm finding it extremely difficult to properly recorded versions of them. In case you know where I can buy good versions of the albums of those bands I listen to, PLEASE pm me. (I prefer downloads, but cd's are fine)

 

Albums I listen to:

 

Metallica:

black album

master of puppets

...and justice for all

ride the lightning

 

Nirvana:

nevermind

 

AC/DC:

the greatest salute to AC/DC

post #2 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel521 View Post

Im planning on buying the hd600 soon, but all of my songs are from itunes which are recorded poorly. Is the hd600 not worth getting if I only have songs from itunes (the only headphone I currently have is the m50). The problem is a lot of the music I listen to is modern so there isn't a version which isn't compressed, but I also listen to older bands. The older bands which I currently listen to are metallica, nirvana, and AC/DC (I'll probably listen to more older bands in the future), but I'm finding it extremely difficult to properly recorded versions of them. In case you know where I can buy good versions of the albums of those bands I listen to, PLEASE pm me. (I prefer downloads, but cd's are fine)

 

Albums I listen to:

 

Metallica:

black album

master of puppets

...and justice for all

ride the lightning

 

Nirvana:

nevermind

 

AC/DC:

the greatest salute to AC/DC

Depends on the source of the music. It's best to buy a CD and convert it lossless for best quality. Itunes sell music at 256 kbps, which is really close to lossless format. What I don't like about AC/DC is that you have to buy their albums... and I don't find all their songs to be great (I rarely do with other bands as well). Wish I could just buy one song at a time but I know they're opposed to that. Amazon sells their CDs for quite a low price. Metals in general aren't recorded as well as other genres though. Just sayin' 

 

Mm to be honest I don't find any of the Sennheisers to be suitable for metal, although something more on the energetic side like the HD598 is okay. But then it really depends on the person. Hopefully you listen to genres other than metal to take full advantage of the HD600. 

post #3 of 20

You should be fine with Itunes downloads.  Some people say they can't hear a difference between them and the Cds. 

 

As for your favorites.  There is a MFSL CD of Nevermind that I prefer to the regular issue, but it isn't a night and day difference.  IMO it's not worth the extra money it commands. Stay away from the recent remaster.

 

There are DCC CDs of "Ride the Lightning" and "Master of Puppets" that are supposed to be better than the regular CDs, but I've never heard them. Both of them were mastered without compression. Good luck finding those for less than $50.  Here are links to them on Amazon

 

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Puppets-Metallica/dp/B00000JCRH/ref=tmm_acd_title_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1345937215&sr=8-1

 

http://www.amazon.com/Ride-Lightning-Metallica/dp/B000044U4B/ref=tmm_acd_title_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1345937137&sr=8-1


Edited by Radioking59 - 8/25/12 at 4:37pm
post #4 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NimbleTurtle View Post

Depends on the source of the music. It's best to buy a CD and convert it lossless for best quality. Itunes sell music at 256 kbps, which is really close to lossless format. What I don't like about AC/DC is that you have to buy their albums... and I don't find all their songs to be great (I rarely do with other bands as well). Wish I could just buy one song at a time but I know they're opposed to that. Amazon sells their CDs for quite a low price. Metals in general aren't recorded as well as other genres though. Just sayin' 

 

Mm to be honest I don't find any of the Sennheisers to be suitable for metal, although something more on the energetic side like the HD598 is okay. But then it really depends on the person. Hopefully you listen to genres other than metal to take full advantage of the HD600. 

Metal, rock, pop rock, and electronic music are the genres I most listen to. I'm considering grado's but I want smooth high and forward mids, and the hd598 lacks some bass, although its a vable option for me considering it's soundstage. As for the CDs, do you think they will be a night and day difference over itunes songs or do you think I will e fine with them like Radioking59 said? Also, in case I were to buy a used cd on amazon, how would I know if it's recorded properly?


Edited by daniel521 - 8/25/12 at 4:59pm
post #5 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioking59 View Post

You should be fine with Itunes downloads.  Some people say they can't hear a difference between them and the Cds. 

 

As for your favorites.  There is a MFSL CD of Nevermind that I prefer to the regular issue, but it isn't a night and day difference.  IMO it's not worth the extra money it commands. Stay away from the recent remaster.

 

There are DCC CDs of "Ride the Lightning" and "Master of Puppets" that are supposed to be better than the regular CDs, but I've never heard them. Both of them were mastered without compression. Good luck finding those for less than $50.  Here are links to them on Amazon

 

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Puppets-Metallica/dp/B00000JCRH/ref=tmm_acd_title_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1345937215&sr=8-1

 

http://www.amazon.com/Ride-Lightning-Metallica/dp/B000044U4B/ref=tmm_acd_title_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1345937137&sr=8-1

These are really expensive... I might stick with itunes. Does hdtracks.com offer some good quality albums or will I notice almost no difference over the itunes songs?

post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel521 View Post

Im planning on buying the hd600 soon, but all of my songs are from itunes which are recorded poorly. Is the hd600 not worth getting if I only have songs from itunes (the only headphone I currently have is the m50). The problem is a lot of the music I listen to is modern so there isn't a version which isn't compressed, but I also listen to older bands. The older bands which I currently listen to are metallica, nirvana, and AC/DC (I'll probably listen to more older bands in the future), but I'm finding it extremely difficult to properly recorded versions of them. In case you know where I can buy good versions of the albums of those bands I listen to, PLEASE pm me. (I prefer downloads, but cd's are fine)

 

Albums I listen to:

 

Metallica:

black album

master of puppets

...and justice for all

ride the lightning

 

Nirvana:

nevermind

 

AC/DC:

the greatest salute to AC/DC

Besides the bit-perfect thing, don't let iTunes hold you back from enjoying your Hifimans. Also, as long as you have preferablely lossless rips of your music or at least 320kps mp3's you should be fine. 

 

I understand your concern for listening to high compression mastered music, but I wouldn't let that ruin it for you honestly (at least if there isn't a choice).

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NimbleTurtle View Post

Depends on the source of the music. It's best to buy a CD and convert it lossless for best quality.

 

This X100. This well make an arguably much larger difference than worrying about mastering compression and buying off of itunes.


Edited by RushNerd - 8/25/12 at 5:17pm
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel521 View Post

These are really expensive... I might stick with itunes. Does hdtracks.com offer some good quality albums or will I notice almost no difference over the itunes songs?

 

You can't make a general statement on HDtracks quality.  It is on an album to album basis.  Most albums on HDtracks are 24 bit. Do you have a 24 bit DAC?  I do know the 24bit "Nevermind" on HDtracks is compressed to hell.  The original CD is all you need for that title.

post #8 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushNerd View Post

Besides the bit-perfect thing, don't let iTunes hold you back from enjoying your Hifimans. Also, as long as you have preferablely lossless rips of your music or at least 320kps mp3's you should be fine. 

 

I understand your concern for listening to high compression mastered music, but I wouldn't let that ruin it for you honestly (at least if there isn't a choice).

 

 

This X100. This well make an arguably much larger difference than worrying about mastering compression and buying off of itunes.

I don't understand what lossless means ("as long as you have preferably lossless rips of your music or at least 320kps and mp3s" and "its best to buy a CD and convert it lossless for best quality" I dont understand what you and nimbleturtle meant...) and if I were to buy CD and convert it lossless, would there be a big dofference between what CD to buy?

post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel521 View Post

I don't understand what lossless means ("as long as you have preferably lossless rips of your music or at least 320kps and mp3s" and "its best to buy a CD and convert it lossless for best quality" I dont understand what you and nimbleturtle meant...) and if I were to buy CD and convert it lossless, would there be a big dofference between what CD to buy?


I think this covers lossless vs lossy pretty well.

 

http://lifehacker.com/5810575/does-bitrate-really-make-a-difference-in-my-music

 

Please note that there are two different types of compression.

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_compression

 

When I say an album is compressed, I'm talking about dynamic range compression.


Edited by Radioking59 - 8/25/12 at 6:57pm
post #10 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioking59 View Post


I think this covers lossless vs lossy pretty well.

 

http://lifehacker.com/5810575/does-bitrate-really-make-a-difference-in-my-music

 

Please note that there are two different types of compression.

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_compression

 

When I say an album is compressed, I'm talking about dynamic range compression.

thanks. You said it was best not to let the quality of the music ruin my experience, but I read somewhere that hifi cans sound even worse than lower end cans if the music quality is bad, that isn't the case for the hd600 right?

post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel521 View Post

 I read somewhere that hifi cans sound even worse than lower end cans if the music quality is bad, that isn't the case for the hd600 right?

tongue.gif
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel521 View Post

thanks. You said it was best not to let the quality of the music ruin my experience, but I read somewhere that hifi cans sound even worse than lower end cans if the music quality is bad, that isn't the case for the hd600 right?

That is pretty much false, high-end headphones won't sound outright worse than lower-end ones unless something has gone horribly wrong somewhere along time line (improper amping or something), but some higher-end ones are better at picking out the flaws in poorly compressed/recorded music.

 

256kbps AAC is pretty good though, and you probably won't have any problems with it.

post #13 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBomb77766 View Post

That is pretty much false, high-end headphones won't sound outright worse than lower-end ones unless something has gone horribly wrong somewhere along time line (improper amping or something), but some higher-end ones are better at picking out the flaws in poorly compressed/recorded music.

 

256kbps AAC is pretty good though, and you probably won't have any problems with it.

thats a relief :)

256kbps AAC is an itunes song?

post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel521 View Post

thats a relief :)

256kbps AAC is an itunes song?


Yes

 

I agree that that you shouldn't let lack of quality ruin the music. A good song is still a good song, even though it could sound better.


Edited by Radioking59 - 8/25/12 at 9:55pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel521 View Post

thats a relief :)

256kbps AAC is an itunes song?

256kbps AAC is what iTunes uses, yes.  Normal high-quality music should be ~320kbps MP3, but 256kbps should be about equivalent with AAC (which is a more efficient codec).

 

What will you be using to amp the HD600?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Will music from itunes sound bad in the hd600?