Ive never heard anybody else say that a jailbreak degrades SQ. My iPhone 4 is jailbroken and i notice no difference in sq. I dont use any eq or any non stock eq apps though. I just plug my GR01's into the headphone jack and enjoy.
Related Forum Threads
- Need a smartphone with great sound quality Last post on 6/29/12 at 6:11am in Portable Source Gear
- iPhone 4S & Galaxy S3: Measured performance (in decibels) Last post on 2/4/13 at 6:52pm in Portable Source Gear
- Help pleas choosing earbuds + Smartphone .. Last post on 8/10/12 at 11:52am in Portable Source Gear
- iPhone (4) is the only audiophile portable player you'll ever need! Last post on 10/11/12 at 9:26am in Portable Source Gear
- Samsung Galaxy S III Audio Quality? Last post on 7/20/12 at 4:28am in Portable Source Gear
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Amps & Other Gear)
Edited on 12/28/12
very relax sounding IEM, great for relaxing, fit is awkward if u have small ears, accessories are tons but most are useless, tape mod is good! Recommended
I bought these back in October and have only been able to enjoy them in the last couple of weeks (i.e. from late April 2013 after ordering in October 2012). I can't stress enough how important it...
Based in the reviews I read here I purchased the SR80i last July 2012. I thought they were way to bright, or as someone else said "ice picks" in the ears. I thought perhaps I needed an amp - and...
One channel of my Denon 250 pre-amp/amp set failed several times per listening session. So I bought the SMSL SA-98 in Hong Kong for a mere € 98,99 including transport. The trip from Hong Kong to...
Introduction First, I’d like to thank the folks at HiSoundAudio for sending me a sample of the Wooduo 2 in ear monitors for review. HiSoundAudio is a Chinese based headphone and earphone...
iPhone 4 versus 4S - which has better SQ - Page 3
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Go for the ipod classic.I tried the 4th touch and returned it 2 days later.Terrible compared to my 80gb classic.Now i just bought the new/7th gen classic.And it sounds better (slightly).Because of cleaner sound without any sacrifices.Also tried Sony Z.Bass on the classic is way better in terms of impact and snap.My sisters iphone 4 sounds very good.But not as good as the classic.
Edited by Nirvana1000 - 9/13/12 at 2:48pm
As Vinnie Rossi at Red Wine Audio said the iPod 4g, 5g and 5.5g have best SQ. That is why he uses them to modify with Wolfson DAC.
They already have the wolfson DACs and he sets them up for line out. I still think the best Ipod at headphone out into most IEMs is the touch 4. I only heard a Iphone 4s breifly but thought it quite good. Thought it seemed to have more texture to it than the touch 4. I think it's and the touch 4s output impedance is about 2 ohms.
They may sound a bit better but the touch 4g measures virtually identical.
More likely something like a jaiklbreak layer or buffer in the mix is not placebo. I tend to believe folks impressions have merit.
I've read others that said differently. The only way to know for sure is try it for yourself.
The Galaxy S with stock player is nothing impressive but once voodoo'd and combined with Neutron player.... for a mere phone it is just unbelievable, it totally wastes my Sony X-series in terms of SQ in every single area I sh1t you not.
I have listened to the S3 with stock player and its not bad but nothing special, hopefully Supercurio can release its untapped potential and release the App soon...
I have only listened to the Iphone 4 very briefly so can't really comment on its SQ in comparison.
The Iphone 4 is supposed to have superior test data but real world user experience can often paint a different picture. As someone else described the Galaxy S1 with the Voodoo Sound App compared to the Iphone 4-
"...however my experience has been much longer with the Galaxy S (1st Gen) with the Class W Wolfson DAC and supercurio's Voodoo Sound. Additionally, the music sounds more "correct" on the SGS. It sounds more organic.
Voodoo Sound also gets you the configurability and high quality 128x oversampling (aka Hi-fi play which gives you 128x Oversampling) via direct DAC access. Anti-jitter option accesses the ReTune (from Wolfson) Anti-Jitter features which are baked into the chip for added sound clarity due to better audio clock source management.
DAC Direct bypasses the Android analog Channel Mixer of the device, delivering superior SNR (aka Signal to Noise Ratio) with low distortion for a portable device. Finally, the Bass Boost feature (which you can tailor to pump the sub-bass frequencies (aka Sub-bass), lower bass (aka Standard), midbass (aka Medium), or bass & mids (aka Small speakers; which works well with those times you actually want to just use the phone without headphones and NO accessory speakers, (can't do that with an iPhone as far as I know and have it sound remotely "natural")... Works well. Very very well. Not just with my ESW9's but with everything I've listened with (except for some DIY SFI Ortho cans which just can't be pushed by such a "puny" source. Though its far from puny. Never tested output directly to the iPhone 4 so I can't comment."
Part of one post from this thread- http://www.head-fi.org/t/636645/galaxy-s-with-voodoo-sound-or-iphone-4
Edited by Ari33 - 1/13/13 at 11:41am
I can verify the 5th gen iPhone sounds better than the 5th gen itouch with UM3X RC's that is... neither are as good as a Walkman X or Z
I can't remember as far back as the Sony X or what it sounded like - it was a player I didn't like for various reasons, though.
Anything Apple is good enough for me.
Edited by Dreamnine - 1/14/13 at 11:29am
I do miss my 4th gen Touch, with one exception.....the too-small screen that it had. Of course, the new ones addressed that issue, so I remain tempted....lol
- iPhone 4 versus 4S - which has better SQ
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › DX50 a new smaller DAP coming from iBasso. . .Specifications page... 11 seconds ago
- › Do I sell AH-D7000 or PS-500 to make room for Audeze LCD2.2? 1 minute ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD650 Appreciation Thread!! 3 minutes ago
- › Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011) 4 minutes ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) please post your impressions. .... 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition 5 minutes ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 5 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Updated: 5/17/13.... 5 minutes ago
- › FS.: AURISONICS ASG 1.2 6 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE80 by minhquancanon7d
- › Unique Melody Miracle by Loquah
- › Grado SR80i Headphones by jeffphus
- › SMSL SA-98 Flagship-level Top HIFI Digital Big Power Amplifier... by REvandenBERG
- › Hisoundaudio Wooduo 2 by TheGame21x
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by TKWizard
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by lepermessiah
- › FiiO E09K by Bonavon Vovo
- › Aurisonics ASG-1 Rev 1.3 by kyuuketsuki
- › Audio Technica ATH-AD700 by sunnyape
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Power Corner) by joe