Ive never heard anybody else say that a jailbreak degrades SQ. My iPhone 4 is jailbroken and i notice no difference in sq. I dont use any eq or any non stock eq apps though. I just plug my GR01's into the headphone jack and enjoy.
- productApple iPhone 4g 16GB Blacktagged by System, 8/27/12
- productApple iPhone 4 white 16GBtagged by System, 8/27/12
- categoryDigital Audio FLAC MP3 Playerstagged by System, 8/27/12
- categoryPortable Source Componentstagged by System, 8/27/12
- productSamsung Galaxy S III 4G Android Phone, Blue 16GB (AT&T)tagged by System, 8/27/12
Related Forum Threads
- Need a smartphone with great sound quality Last post on 6/29/12 at 6:11am in Portable Source Gear
- iPhone 4S & Galaxy S3: Measured performance (in decibels) Last post on 2/4/13 at 6:52pm in Portable Source Gear
- Help pleas choosing earbuds + Smartphone .. Last post on 8/10/12 at 11:52am in Portable Source Gear
- iPhone (4) is the only audiophile portable player you'll ever need! Last post on 10/11/12 at 9:26am in Portable Source Gear
- Samsung Galaxy S III Audio Quality? Last post on 7/20/12 at 4:28am in Portable Source Gear
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Amps & Other Gear)
Last edited: 12/28/12
(Note - XL ear pads are installed. The sound will be judged based on that.) Introduction: I purchased these headphones mainly out of curiosity. I was reading reviews and watching youtubers...
Accessories: Includes a pouch and cable. Pouch is well-built, compact, and stylish. Soft, flexible cable has never tangled for me in my time with it. Right angled jack is durable and well-relieved....
First off, I would like to thank Noisehush for sending me the NX85's! I'll get into the review now. Packaging: The NX85 come in a sturdy black card board box. It is all black, except the...
The LH Labs Geek Out had a lot to live up to. A good 7+ months ago, the Geek Out started as a concept. This concept was to bring a high quality audio experience into a small and affordable device....
If you like electric music or hip hop rap,this is it,but if you want a more balanced sound you better go for the sennheiser momentum or ue6000.
iPhone 4 versus 4S - which has better SQ - Page 3
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Go for the ipod classic.I tried the 4th touch and returned it 2 days later.Terrible compared to my 80gb classic.Now i just bought the new/7th gen classic.And it sounds better (slightly).Because of cleaner sound without any sacrifices.Also tried Sony Z.Bass on the classic is way better in terms of impact and snap.My sisters iphone 4 sounds very good.But not as good as the classic.
Edited by Nirvana1000 - 9/13/12 at 2:48pm
As Vinnie Rossi at Red Wine Audio said the iPod 4g, 5g and 5.5g have best SQ. That is why he uses them to modify with Wolfson DAC.
They already have the wolfson DACs and he sets them up for line out. I still think the best Ipod at headphone out into most IEMs is the touch 4. I only heard a Iphone 4s breifly but thought it quite good. Thought it seemed to have more texture to it than the touch 4. I think it's and the touch 4s output impedance is about 2 ohms.
They may sound a bit better but the touch 4g measures virtually identical.
More likely something like a jaiklbreak layer or buffer in the mix is not placebo. I tend to believe folks impressions have merit.
I've read others that said differently. The only way to know for sure is try it for yourself.
The Galaxy S with stock player is nothing impressive but once voodoo'd and combined with Neutron player.... for a mere phone it is just unbelievable, it totally wastes my Sony X-series in terms of SQ in every single area I sh1t you not.
I have listened to the S3 with stock player and its not bad but nothing special, hopefully Supercurio can release its untapped potential and release the App soon...
I have only listened to the Iphone 4 very briefly so can't really comment on its SQ in comparison.
The Iphone 4 is supposed to have superior test data but real world user experience can often paint a different picture. As someone else described the Galaxy S1 with the Voodoo Sound App compared to the Iphone 4-
"...however my experience has been much longer with the Galaxy S (1st Gen) with the Class W Wolfson DAC and supercurio's Voodoo Sound. Additionally, the music sounds more "correct" on the SGS. It sounds more organic.
Voodoo Sound also gets you the configurability and high quality 128x oversampling (aka Hi-fi play which gives you 128x Oversampling) via direct DAC access. Anti-jitter option accesses the ReTune (from Wolfson) Anti-Jitter features which are baked into the chip for added sound clarity due to better audio clock source management.
DAC Direct bypasses the Android analog Channel Mixer of the device, delivering superior SNR (aka Signal to Noise Ratio) with low distortion for a portable device. Finally, the Bass Boost feature (which you can tailor to pump the sub-bass frequencies (aka Sub-bass), lower bass (aka Standard), midbass (aka Medium), or bass & mids (aka Small speakers; which works well with those times you actually want to just use the phone without headphones and NO accessory speakers, (can't do that with an iPhone as far as I know and have it sound remotely "natural")... Works well. Very very well. Not just with my ESW9's but with everything I've listened with (except for some DIY SFI Ortho cans which just can't be pushed by such a "puny" source. Though its far from puny. Never tested output directly to the iPhone 4 so I can't comment."
Part of one post from this thread- http://www.head-fi.org/t/636645/galaxy-s-with-voodoo-sound-or-iphone-4
Edited by Ari33 - 1/13/13 at 11:41am
I can verify the 5th gen iPhone sounds better than the 5th gen itouch with UM3X RC's that is... neither are as good as a Walkman X or Z
I can't remember as far back as the Sony X or what it sounded like - it was a player I didn't like for various reasons, though.
Anything Apple is good enough for me.
Edited by Dreamnine - 1/14/13 at 11:29am
I do miss my 4th gen Touch, with one exception.....the too-small screen that it had. Of course, the new ones addressed that issue, so I remain tempted....lol
- iPhone 4 versus 4S - which has better SQ
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 14 seconds ago
- › [Review] Oppo PM-1, Oppo hit the nail on the head 22 seconds ago
- › ALO RX MK3 B - Great Condition 25 seconds ago
- › Toxic Cables - The Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › New Audeze LCD3 1 minute ago
- › Samsung Galaxy S5 audio review 1 minute ago
- › The NEW Headphone Lounge Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Best DAC/Amp for Sennheiser 650 Headphones ? (Budget: Around 500 $CA) 2 minutes ago
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by zach8278
- › Ultimate Ears UE4000 Headphones by gopats1479
- › NoiseHush NX85 Stereo 3.5mm Headset with Mic - Retail Packaging -... by Mathewsa
- › LHLabs Geek Out by bhazard
- › Monster Inspiration by betterthan1122
- › Meridian Explorer by zolkis
- › Beyerdynamic T51P Tesla Headphone - Silver by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by zach8278
- › T-Peos H-300 - 3 Way Hybrid by White Lotus
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by 2001Audiophile
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude