Have you had a chance to hear the LAu sourced directly from the Lumin?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ART Legato and BNC to RCA: impedance matching-related question Last post on 6/3/13 at 7:13am in Dedicated Source Components
- Best-sounding source for amp/speakers? Last post on 8/28/12 at 5:17pm in Dedicated Source Components
- SPDIF connection between PC and DAC... Last post on 8/27/12 at 8:46am in Dedicated Source Components
- Computer/DAC vs. DAP as source component Last post on 8/26/12 at 2:12am in Dedicated Source Components
- Help finding DAC for Stax Lambda Pro Last post on 8/24/12 at 11:27pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONThis is the 2nd pair of IEMs sent to me for evaluation recently by FiiO. You can find my...
Unboxing This package came in an unassuming black box with the branding directly on the front. Opening it reveals the very nice semi-hard case that stores the earphones. Opening the case...
Intro I wanted to start this review off with a Swiss Army knife joke but it looks like several Head-Fiers have already did that so in a futile attempt to be both funny and original I’ll start off...
This is the video review of the Cayin i5 Digital Audio Player. The player has been compared with iDSD Micro BL and Audeze Cypher cable for its sound qualities. Skip to 12 minutes 50 seconds mark...
DISCLAIMER The Empire Ears Zeus-R was purchased during my trip to the Empire Ears office at Buford, Georgia. The Empire Ears team have since moved their operations to their newer and larger...
Metrum NOS Hex Flagship DAC - Page 19post #271 of 49010/22/13 at 3:05pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #272 of 49010/29/13 at 10:14am
I got back from Tokyo late last night, and on the flight I was contemplating what I should do to get my system sounding better. Since I had to go out and buy a NAS for the Lumin Music Player, I went ahead and bought some Nordost Sort Kones for the Hex since friends have been telling me great things about them and how to utilize them properly.
The secret with these cones is to mix and match.....so for me I bought 1 TC cone and 2 x BC cones. I have the TC at the front and the BC at the rear forming a equilateral triangle.
Having previously tried the Shun Mook Resonators under the HEX and didn't find it worthwhile sonically, my thoughts were that the HEX was too light, since with the Shun Mook, the Cavalli LAu sounded great.
I was expecting a difference be it good or bad, hopefully good for a $600+ tweek.
Well the short answer is using the cones, the HEX sounds spectacular. Soundstage has increased significantly in all three axis, there is an abundance of air surrounding the individual instruments. Immediacy is much improved giving a better sense of realism and overall the HEX sounds faster.............Bass is tighter with more weight and directional cues. Vocals are much cleaner with a better portrayal of nuances and subtleties.
For me, definitely a worthwhile upgrade, and I will probably buy another set for the Cavalli LAu or under the Lumin Music Player.
I would add that the only Headphone that impressed me at the Fujiya Avic Headphone Festival was the Stax 009.......with the cones in place, I have managed to bring to my system some most of the transparent and ethereal highs of the 009!
Edited by spkrs01 - 10/29/13 at 10:28ampost #273 of 49010/29/13 at 11:10ampost #274 of 49010/29/13 at 11:26ampost #275 of 49010/29/13 at 11:32ampost #276 of 49010/29/13 at 11:48amQuote:
Forget cones, Sankara stones is the only money worth audio tweakpost #277 of 49010/29/13 at 11:55ampost #278 of 49011/16/13 at 5:37pm
Especially after Failed Engineers last post this should probably have it's own thread but...
There is a teaser page for the Metrum Aurix amp on their website. Looks like it's had an outing to the x-fi show, did anyone get a listen or have more details?post #279 of 4904/13/14 at 9:32ampost #280 of 4904/14/14 at 11:32ampost #281 of 4904/15/14 at 8:36am
Have you tried different USB ports, they are not all created equal from the computer side and will cause clicking/popping if you get a less than good one.
Some have reduced bandwidth or shared with something like the bluetooth, Some will also have non-spec voltage to reduce the drain on a lappy.
On the mac you can look up the USB on your machine through system profile/USB. On the MS/Linux side I'm not sure where to find this info...but you can just try different ports with a good critical ear and see which is best.post #282 of 4904/15/14 at 9:25amI've heard it on macpro + hiface2 and PC + Berkeley USB. However clicks are only occurred during direct sound output. Switching to wasapi or asio fixed that for me. Seems that click/scratch noises are due to the high bass line during playthrough.post #283 of 4904/19/14 at 3:43ampost #284 of 4904/20/14 at 12:32am
At 250-300 hours it has a big change and gets over a large hump. Much less brash and more delicacy comes in.
Over the next 750 hours little wrinkles get ironed out and more of the same comes on but at a much much slower pace.
It's a bearpost #285 of 4905/18/14 at 12:12am
Can anyone be so kind as to sending me the usb driver file for the HEX as I have lost the CD that came with the unit. It would be much appreciated.
- Metrum NOS Hex Flagship DAC
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › 1964 Ears Adel IEMs 9 seconds ago
- › Can my amp drive HE-6 15 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 31 seconds ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Denon AH-MM400 2 minutes ago
- › NAD Viso HP50 2 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing... 2 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 3 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO F3 Dynamic In-Ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by chompchomps
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Yethal
- › Cayin i5 by piksnz
- › Empire Ears Zeus by ejong7
- › Cosmic Ears CE6P by fluffyberry
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by tenedosian
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Dobrescu George
- › Westone W80 Eight-Driver System with Dual Bass, Dual Mid, and Quad... by Koolpep
- › JDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifier by SoundApprentice
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear