Have you had a chance to hear the LAu sourced directly from the Lumin?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ART Legato and BNC to RCA: impedance matching-related question Last post on 6/3/13 at 7:13am in Dedicated Source Components
- Best-sounding source for amp/speakers? Last post on 8/28/12 at 5:17pm in Dedicated Source Components
- SPDIF connection between PC and DAC... Last post on 8/27/12 at 8:46am in Dedicated Source Components
- Computer/DAC vs. DAP as source component Last post on 8/26/12 at 2:12am in Dedicated Source Components
- Help finding DAC for Stax Lambda Pro Last post on 8/24/12 at 11:27pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
IT WAS THE FIRST HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER I BOUGHT AND I PAIRED IT WITH A SONY NWZ-A15. DECENT SOUND, ALMOST NO PROBLEM WITH IT, BUT EXCEPT ITS DESIGN WHICH I FIND SOMEWHAT UGLY IT WAS UNABLE TO...
Intro & Me: I'm best described as someone who loves music, loves gear and loves to combine them into a "hobby" that focuses on all of these important ingredients from Head-Fi. I have quite a...
Picture are default 1200 x 800 resolution - click to view larger images.INTRODUCTIONThis one came out of the blue. A company I'd never heard of, and an IEM I didn't know existed. The inquiry was...
[[SPOILER]] Introduction:The device was lent to me as part of FiiO's review tour. I was given 10 days with the device to evaluate it and in return give my honest opinion about it. My current...
At the time this review was written, the iFi Pro iCan was listed for sale on Amazon’s website. Here are some links for purchase and...
Metrum NOS Hex Flagship DAC - Page 19post #271 of 49110/22/13 at 3:05pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #272 of 49110/29/13 at 10:14am
I got back from Tokyo late last night, and on the flight I was contemplating what I should do to get my system sounding better. Since I had to go out and buy a NAS for the Lumin Music Player, I went ahead and bought some Nordost Sort Kones for the Hex since friends have been telling me great things about them and how to utilize them properly.
The secret with these cones is to mix and match.....so for me I bought 1 TC cone and 2 x BC cones. I have the TC at the front and the BC at the rear forming a equilateral triangle.
Having previously tried the Shun Mook Resonators under the HEX and didn't find it worthwhile sonically, my thoughts were that the HEX was too light, since with the Shun Mook, the Cavalli LAu sounded great.
I was expecting a difference be it good or bad, hopefully good for a $600+ tweek.
Well the short answer is using the cones, the HEX sounds spectacular. Soundstage has increased significantly in all three axis, there is an abundance of air surrounding the individual instruments. Immediacy is much improved giving a better sense of realism and overall the HEX sounds faster.............Bass is tighter with more weight and directional cues. Vocals are much cleaner with a better portrayal of nuances and subtleties.
For me, definitely a worthwhile upgrade, and I will probably buy another set for the Cavalli LAu or under the Lumin Music Player.
I would add that the only Headphone that impressed me at the Fujiya Avic Headphone Festival was the Stax 009.......with the cones in place, I have managed to bring to my system some most of the transparent and ethereal highs of the 009!
Edited by spkrs01 - 10/29/13 at 10:28ampost #273 of 49110/29/13 at 11:10ampost #274 of 49110/29/13 at 11:26ampost #275 of 49110/29/13 at 11:32ampost #276 of 49110/29/13 at 11:48amQuote:
Forget cones, Sankara stones is the only money worth audio tweakpost #277 of 49110/29/13 at 11:55ampost #278 of 49111/16/13 at 5:37pm
Especially after Failed Engineers last post this should probably have it's own thread but...
There is a teaser page for the Metrum Aurix amp on their website. Looks like it's had an outing to the x-fi show, did anyone get a listen or have more details?post #279 of 4914/13/14 at 9:32ampost #280 of 4914/14/14 at 11:32ampost #281 of 4914/15/14 at 8:36am
Have you tried different USB ports, they are not all created equal from the computer side and will cause clicking/popping if you get a less than good one.
Some have reduced bandwidth or shared with something like the bluetooth, Some will also have non-spec voltage to reduce the drain on a lappy.
On the mac you can look up the USB on your machine through system profile/USB. On the MS/Linux side I'm not sure where to find this info...but you can just try different ports with a good critical ear and see which is best.post #282 of 4914/15/14 at 9:25amI've heard it on macpro + hiface2 and PC + Berkeley USB. However clicks are only occurred during direct sound output. Switching to wasapi or asio fixed that for me. Seems that click/scratch noises are due to the high bass line during playthrough.post #283 of 4914/19/14 at 3:43ampost #284 of 4914/20/14 at 12:32am
At 250-300 hours it has a big change and gets over a large hump. Much less brash and more delicacy comes in.
Over the next 750 hours little wrinkles get ironed out and more of the same comes on but at a much much slower pace.
It's a bearpost #285 of 4915/18/14 at 12:12am
Can anyone be so kind as to sending me the usb driver file for the HEX as I have lost the CD that came with the unit. It would be much appreciated.
- Metrum NOS Hex Flagship DAC
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Moon Audio silver dragon JH Audio 4 pin to 4.4mm Sony cable ( new... 1 hour, 2 minutes ago
- › Uptone Audio Regen latest version 5 hours, 54 minutes ago
- › 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded! 6 hours, 57 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 9 hours, 49 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 10 hours, 19 minutes ago
- › Samsung S8 / S8+ Sound Quality 10 hours, 39 minutes ago
- › [FS] LZ A4 (Brand new - EU located) 10 hours, 52 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 11 hours, 7 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 12 hours, 17 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary) 12 hours, 19 minutes ago
- › FiiO A3 Portable Headphone Amplifier (Black) by yannisgk
- › Rhapsodio RDB Mk.IV by SeeSax
- › Aedle ODS-1 by Brooko
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by xkonfuzed
- › iFi Pro iCAN by Hisoundfi
- › Jomo Audio pretty Little beast by ExpatinJapan
- › Campfire Audio Jupiter by mrstrangeguy
- › Venture Electronics Asura 2.0 by SOULSIK
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by SOULSIK
- › Meze 99 Neo by dweaver
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear