no one has heard the HEX yet? I am eyeing this one, m7 and PWD MKII (and bricasti if I can pay in installments somewhere -- too poor to drop 6K at once)
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- ART Legato and BNC to RCA: impedance matching-related question Last post on 6/3/13 at 7:13am in Dedicated Source Components
- Best-sounding source for amp/speakers? Last post on 8/28/12 at 5:17pm in Dedicated Source Components
- SPDIF connection between PC and DAC... Last post on 8/27/12 at 8:46am in Dedicated Source Components
- Computer/DAC vs. DAP as source component Last post on 8/26/12 at 2:12am in Dedicated Source Components
- Help finding DAC for Stax Lambda Pro Last post on 8/24/12 at 11:27pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
Introduction I have been an enthusiastic headphone user for many MANY years now. My first set of serious headphones were the open-backed Sennheiser HD400 headphones. From what I remember about...
Introduction: From the company that brought you the N5 and N6 sources comes the Cayin i5. The i5 is their entry into the very competitve mid priced DAP market. Cayin also has other lines of...
The product was provided to me free of charge for the review purpose in exchange for my honest opinion. The review was originally posted on my blog, and now I would like to share it with all of...
UP with the Encasement of Sound! When I heard the Shanling UP, I was perplexed. I had read many a comment espousing the virtues of the Audioquest Dragonfly Black (DFB), and especially the Red...
To begin with, I would like to thank iFi for making this great tour and allowing some of us to test this product. I've been enjoying my original micro iDSD since January 2015 and it is really a...
Metrum NOS Hex Flagship DAC - Page 2post #16 of 4905/11/13 at 7:15am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #17 of 4906/28/13 at 7:36ampost #18 of 4906/30/13 at 7:37am
You already have the Octave Mk2 I believe?
I have to say I've been thinking about the Hex for my main system ever since I tried my Octave Mk2 in that system. I nearly left the Octave there, but it's intended for another system. My main system is fully balanced thus my interest in the Hex.post #19 of 4906/30/13 at 9:15amYup, I also have the Octave Mk2. I will be reporting about how the Hex will be improving upon it. In the past I have also owned the Eximus DP1 (and I remember its sound very well, so I will throw a comparison between the two as wel, albeit by memory). And you are thinking the right way, as you have a balanced system.post #20 of 4906/30/13 at 11:57ampost #21 of 4907/1/13 at 2:30ampost #22 of 4907/2/13 at 1:55am
Metrum is more than EUR1k cheaper, but no tubes inside, probably thats why
Do you still have AMR around?post #23 of 4907/2/13 at 5:02ampost #24 of 4907/16/13 at 2:34pmpost #25 of 4907/16/13 at 3:18pmQuote:
I think that would be hard not to dopost #26 of 4907/16/13 at 4:36pmFirst impressions... I am using the Hex with Stax Lambda normal bias and a heavily modified SRM-727A (under Kevin Gilmore's instructions), which is basically a more modern version of the stock KGSS (with current source modification and the samet transistors as the KGSSHV, albeit not reaching the same voltages as the KGSSHV). It's not just the spritzer mod, it's a deeper modification. If I am not mistaken, Kevin will publish such instructions... otherwise, he has already allowed me to help in case anyone wanted to have some guidance to mod their SRM-727A. I have baptised my amp the KGSS-A.
Right now, this is the best setup I have ever heard and/or owned.
The Hex is much, much better than the Octave Mk2. Their main resemblance is in tonal intensity (or color saturation, if you prefer).
The Hex has much more deep bass power and dynamics, to the point that listening to the Lambda, you would never apply the word "light" to them. It's a continuous exhibition of power. Where the Octave has some bloom in the upper bass, the Hex is more linear. The Hex has similarly thick midrange to the Octave (which is where they share similar tonal saturation) but the Hex tends to be more forward in the upper midrange. The Hex manages to be as euphonic as the Octave, but much more balanced. There is still the same sense of romantic sound and fullness.
The biggest difference (if we try to "split" differences in departments) are in the treble. Where the Octave tends to be smooth, and lacks ultimate resolution, the Hex is super resolving. It offers a huge sense of layering, and super precise instrument placement. It has tons of information and nuances, and shows the micro-modulations of certain tunes (sorry, I wouldn't know how else I could call the effect, I am not very used to it with the other DAC's).
Anyway, the Hex is much better than the Octave Mk2. It's a no-compromise DAC... probably the first one I have encountered, albeit I need to listen to the AMR again, with this Stax setup.
I don't use all these superlatives without a reason, but it totally exceeded my expectations... well, now at least I can understand better what 6moons said by "Octave on caffeine". Albeit I'd have used "an Octave in need for exorcism".
Similarly to the new Yulong DA8, the Hex is an inspired and active "player". It's warmer, fuller and more complete than the Yulong DA8, and has superior spatial capabilities.
Listening to Okami soundtrack is particularly enjoyable.
With certain songs (I have yet to investigate if it depends on the track itself, it mainly happens with Television, or Queen), the screaming vocals can be too much. It needs to be evaluated how much of it depends on Stax Lambda, or if it depends on the Metrum Hex itself.
Soon, I should receive another Omega 2, so I will be able to test this behaviour.
Again, how perfect? It must be evaluated, in the long run, if being an "Octave on caffeine", as sixmoons said, will keep being enjoyable for every moment, but I might be paranoid at this point.
Edited by antonyfirst - 7/16/13 at 4:41pmpost #27 of 4907/16/13 at 5:06pm
So the HEX is not a transparent DAC, it has it's own signature or it's colored? Is that how you would describe it?
It sound like it does not roll off at either end. It has pretty good extension?post #28 of 4907/16/13 at 5:12pmpost #29 of 4907/17/13 at 12:06am
Thanks Tony and you are right, just take your time and see how it will be developing on the longer run, according to Cees it may need 500 hours, before any final judgment.
What kind of transport and cables you tried so far, how its USB performing, it should be much better to Octave, I guess.
- Metrum NOS Hex Flagship DAC
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 10 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS... 29 seconds ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 1 minute ago
- › Thebit OPUS#2 Dap - out September/October 2016. 3 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 3 minutes ago
- › ifI iCan Pro - Impressions & Discussion 3 minutes ago
- › Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit 4 minutes ago
- › Yet another Little Dot MkVI amp review .... 4 minutes ago
- › 1MORE1008 Earbud by Peddler
- › Cayin i5 by subguy812
- › Lotoo Paw Pico by twister6
- › Shanling UP Portable DAC/Headphone Amplifier AMP ES9018K2M+MAX97... by ngoshawk
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by rafaelpernil
- › PureSounds PS100-600 by BloodyPenguin
- › Schiit Audio Vali 2 by DeeKay10
- › AKG K92 | Over Ear Closed Back Monitoring Headphone by SaturnVuk
- › ORIVETI NEW PRIMACY - Premium Triple Driver Hybrid HiFi IEM Headphones by Hisoundfi
- › Accutone Gemini HD by crabdog
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear