Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Upgrade from Grado sr125i to rs1i?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Upgrade from Grado sr125i to rs1i?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

I've been using a 125i for hundreds of hours and I love it. Recently I wanted to have an upgrade by getting a RS1i, but it turned out to be, how should I put it, not as good. Now I mean I still think it's a better sound, just not worth the price-sound ratio to me. So I tried the G cushion, but that made the RS1i overly bright. This is most obvious in rock/metal music. I am not exactly sure which version of RS1i I got, so here's a pic for you to see. If RS1i is supposed to sound like that, which one would be a direct upgrade from 125i? GS1000i? PS500? I would sell the RS1i if those are better for me.

 

post #2 of 13

The SR line give you the Grado "wall of sound".  To get that sound signature you have to stay with the SR line--going to the 225 (viewed by most as the seet spot in the line--a clear step up from the 125), 325 (great can but many find its highs to be harsh) or Alessnadro MS2 (based on the 325 but with the highs toned down).  With the last two you pay quite a bit more for the jump to the final level of the SR family.   However you also get better build quality, clarity, deeper bass and improved sound stage over the excellent 225.

post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 

What would be a good amp for RS1i? Right now I'm just using a M-audio FTP audio interface.
 

post #4 of 13

There's not much of an amping requirement for Grados. My HF2 doesn't noticeably improve when I switch it between my HUD MX1, XM6, or NFB-10. There might be a bit more air on the NFB-10, but it's not exactly noticeable. However, if you have money to spend and want a mellower sound, I've heard good things about the synergy between OTC tube amps and Grados.

 

You can also try the HF2 or PS500. Both have more midbass and reduced highs compared to the RS1.

post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by physib View Post

I've been using a 125i for hundreds of hours and I love it. Recently I wanted to have an upgrade by getting a RS1i, but it turned out to be, how should I put it, not as good. Now I mean I still think it's a better sound, just not worth the price-sound ratio to me.

 

The hours and hours you have logged on the 125 have burned in a psycho acoustic perception which your brain processes as pleasing. So now you are providing it with a new psycho acoustic perception to process, and even though you acknowledge it as perhaps  better, you're not sure if you value the new presentation as much as the money you spent to aquire it. Spend some time with it, quit thinking about what it cost, let the nuances seep in, and enjoy.

post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneelJung View Post

 

The hours and hours you have logged on the 125 have burned in a psycho acoustic perception which your brain processes as pleasing. So now you are providing it with a new psycho acoustic perception to process, and even though you acknowledge it as perhaps  better, you're not sure if you value the new presentation as much as the money you spent to aquire it. Spend some time with it, quit thinking about what it cost, let the nuances seep in, and enjoy.

...my life is now worthless :*(

post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by physib View Post

...my life is now worthless :*(

 

Welcome to head fi...sorry about your wallet evil_smiley.gif

post #8 of 13

I have both the SR125i and the RS1i.  From the moment I first auditioned the two cans in a shop (and went home with the RS1i) I was frankly baffled that I preferred the sound of the SR125i for some genres.  To this day, I love my RS1i when listening to acoustic music, folk, singer-songwriter stuff, etc...  It handles those genres with beautiful clarity.  But when it comes to heavy rock the SR125i seem to have a much heavier, crunchier and more satisfying sound.  So even though my first decision was to get the premium RS1i, a few months later I decided to grab the SR125i as well (stumbled across a great deal second hand).

 

I've often wondered if it's just me that's insane or that I'm too much of a n00b to have a proper opinion (very possible), but this thread inspired me to share my feelings.  RS1i for folk / acoustic, and SR125 for heavy rock and metal.

post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoji View Post

I have both the SR125i and the RS1i.  From the moment I first auditioned the two cans in a shop (and went home with the RS1i) I was frankly baffled that I preferred the sound of the SR125i for some genres.  To this day, I love my RS1i when listening to acoustic music, folk, singer-songwriter stuff, etc...  It handles those genres with beautiful clarity.  But when it comes to heavy rock the SR125i seem to have a much heavier, crunchier and more satisfying sound.  So even though my first decision was to get the premium RS1i, a few months later I decided to grab the SR125i as well (stumbled across a great deal second hand).

 

I've often wondered if it's just me that's insane or that I'm too much of a n00b to have a proper opinion (very possible), but this thread inspired me to share my feelings.  RS1i for folk / acoustic, and SR125 for heavy rock and metal.


It makes sense to me, as the RS and SR lines have different sound signatures.  There are more than a few folks who have both an SR (usually 225, 325 or MS2) and an RS in their "golf bag".

 

The RS line is great, but few would say that they have slam.  They are much too ethereal for that.

post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoji View Post

I have both the SR125i and the RS1i.  From the moment I first auditioned the two cans in a shop (and went home with the RS1i) I was frankly baffled that I preferred the sound of the SR125i for some genres.  To this day, I love my RS1i when listening to acoustic music, folk, singer-songwriter stuff, etc...  It handles those genres with beautiful clarity.  But when it comes to heavy rock the SR125i seem to have a much heavier, crunchier and more satisfying sound.  So even though my first decision was to get the premium RS1i, a few months later I decided to grab the SR125i as well (stumbled across a great deal second hand).

 

I've often wondered if it's just me that's insane or that I'm too much of a n00b to have a proper opinion (very possible), but this thread inspired me to share my feelings.  RS1i for folk / acoustic, and SR125 for heavy rock and metal.


That's exactly what I feel. Since I am selling the 125i, maybe I can get a hold on some used 225i. I'd much prefer having one pair for everything though. I make music ranging from trance to pop to extreme metal. 125i served me well on all those genres, but RS1i seems more specialized.

post #11 of 13

Specialized to what? If you mean per a particular type of music, that sounds a bit unlikely as how could a headphone company as respectable as Grado make headphones that sound better with one particular category of music. I guess it comes down to personal taste.

post #12 of 13

With all those amps that you compared with the RS1i's, did you notice a difference between them and just no amp? Any difference?

post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2151 View Post

There's not much of an amping requirement for Grados. My HF2 doesn't noticeably improve when I switch it between my HUD MX1, XM6, or NFB-10. There might be a bit more air on the NFB-10, but it's not exactly noticeable. However, if you have money to spend and want a mellower sound, I've heard good things about the synergy between OTC tube amps and Grados.

 

You can also try the HF2 or PS500. Both have more midbass and reduced highs compared to the RS1.

With all those amps that you compared with the RS1i's, did you notice a difference between them and just no amp? Any difference?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Upgrade from Grado sr125i to rs1i?