Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Best Solid State (SS) desktop amp under $350
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Solid State (SS) desktop amp under $350 - Page 3

post #31 of 51
Mainly, I felt like the top end was ever so slightly rolled off with the M-stage. I feel like the O2 is a more neutral amp, which I like. I enjoyed my time with the M-stage, but I decided to sell it, and I kept the O2. I really do miss the Preamp outputs that the M-stage had though.... haha smily_headphones1.gif
post #32 of 51

One vote here for the Asgard.  Has a relatively warm signature for a solid state amp.

post #33 of 51

another vote for the asgard!

it can hold its own with amps that cost much more,just feed it a good source,and your all set.

post #34 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eargasmo View Post

One vote here for the Asgard.  Has a relatively warm signature for a solid state amp.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by decur View Post

another vote for the asgard!

it can hold its own with amps that cost much more,just feed it a good source,and your all set.

 

I just have to say that I personally really did not like the Asgard. I felt it just sucked out the life of the HD650, in the kind of way you keep turning it up to get it more real sounding. Not that it wasn't loud. It just sounded warm and muddy to me... Not in love with it! As Schiit says, it wasn't designed for 300 ohm phones, though it has the power to run them loud.

post #35 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler View Post

 

 

I just have to say that I personally really did not like the Asgard. I felt it just sucked out the life of the HD650, in the kind of way you keep turning it up to get it more real sounding. Not that it wasn't loud. It just sounded warm and muddy to me... Not in love with it! As Schiit says, it wasn't designed for 300 ohm phones, though it has the power to run them loud.

 

Not designed for 300 ohm phones?  I haven't heard that.  In fact, out of all the Schiit amps, Jason recommended the Asgard as being the best fit for my 250 ohm cans.

 

I can see it not being the best match for the the 650s which are already warm to begin with.  For my DT880s, however, they really opened the sound up in a way I haven't heard from those headphones before. 

post #36 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler View Post

 

 

I just have to say that I personally really did not like the Asgard. I felt it just sucked out the life of the HD650, in the kind of way you keep turning it up to get it more real sounding. Not that it wasn't loud. It just sounded warm and muddy to me... Not in love with it! As Schiit says, it wasn't designed for 300 ohm phones, though it has the power to run them loud.


I can't exactly comment on the Asgard pairing with the HD650's as I've yet to have both in the same place at the same time (I hope to try that soon).  I do know that I enjoy it with my low-impedance T50RPs and AKG701s.  It's far from warm and muddy on either of those cans.

post #37 of 51

Asgard + H650?

 

Warm? yes.

 

Muddy? no 

 

And as far as Asgard not being good for 300 ohm headphones?  buahahaha.  Sorry, but know what you are talking about before you talk.  I generally try to keep it civil on these forums, but that type of misinformation dissemination=bad.  Pairing and powering are TWO disparate things.  Just because you don't think they pair well doesn't mean it's not powering well.  Schitt does recommend the Valhalla with the HD650, but NOT because the Asgard can't power the HD650s.  It is because Schiit had the HD6XXs in mind when they designed the Valhalla.  And this is probably why many think the Valhalla sounds cold for a tube amp.  Personally, I love the HD650 sound signature and don't want to counter some of its qualities.  So I prefer the Asgard with the HD650.

 

Now as someone who owns a 250ohm and 300ohm pair of headphones and owns the Asgard, I can confirm the Asgard powers both no sweat.  I listen at about 11 o'clock for normal listening.  And I feel the Asgard pairs beautifully with the HD650.  The Asgard enhances everything I love about the HD650.  The highs still roll-off, but all the detail is all there.  When I want forward highs, I'll listen to my Beyers.


Edited by Eargasmo - 10/2/12 at 5:42am
post #38 of 51

Can a B22 really be built for <$350?? My M^3 build is already there, and has probably even passed it! Is this like, a B22 with 2 channel, no active ground, and a wallwart inside a hammond case? Because it would require a fair ammount of perfection to build just an M^3 with a decent case and an S11 psu for that much

post #39 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eargasmo View Post

Asgard + H650?

 

Warm? yes.

 

Muddy? no 

 

And as far as Asgard not being good for 300 ohm headphones?  buahahaha.  Sorry, but know what you are talking about before you talk.  I generally try to keep it civil on these forums, but that type of misinformation dissemination=bad.  Pairing and powering are TWO disparate things.  Just because you don't think they pair well doesn't mean it's not powering well.  Schitt does recommend the Valhalla with the HD650, but NOT because the Asgard can't power the HD650s.  It is because Schiit had the HD6XXs in mind when they designed the Valhalla.  And this is probably why many think the Valhalla sounds cold for a tube amp.  Personally, I love the HD650 sound signature and don't want to counter some of its qualities.  So I prefer the Asgard with the HD650.

 

Now as someone who owns a 250ohm and 300ohm pair of headphones and owns the Asgard, I can confirm the Asgard powers both no sweat.  I listen at about 11 o'clock for normal listening.  And I feel the Asgard pairs beautifully with the HD650.  The Asgard enhances everything I love about the HD650.  The highs still roll-off, but all the detail is all there.  When I want forward highs, I'll listen to my Beyers.

 

In response, I'd like to point out the following bold statements, both referring to my personal opinions and to my statement of their to ability to power. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler View Post

I just have to say that I personally really did not like the Asgard. I felt it just sucked out the life of the HD650, in the kind of way you keep turning it up to get it more real sounding. Not that it wasn't loud. It just sounded warm and muddy to me... Not in love with it! As Schiit says, it wasn't designed for 300 ohm phones, though it has the power to run them loud.

 

I would also like to quote from Schiit's website: "Asgard is a fully discrete, Class A, single-ended FET headphone amplifier with no overall feedback and a noninverting circuit topology. Its high-current design makes it uniquely suitable for low-impedance headphones. It is priced at $249, direct from the manufacturer.""http://schiit.com/news/5110-asgard-valhalla-intro/  

 

Also, Jude's comment: "Since the Schiit Asgard is designed to be particularly well suited for low-impedance headphones, I thought I'd break out a few." http://www.flickr.com/photos/the-jude/4710233616/

 

And 6 Moons Review: "The upshot is plain and predictable. The Asgard is happiest with low-impedance headphones from AKG, audio-technica and Grado." http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/schiit/5.html

 

Personally, I don't see the need of your comment "buahahaha.  Sorry, but know what you are talking about before you talk.  I generally try to keep it civil on these forums, but that type of misinformation dissemination=bad" .

 

I hope you do find this response civil. If there has been any "misinformaiton dissemination," I apologize.


Edited by imackler - 10/2/12 at 2:18pm
post #40 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler View Post

 

 

I just have to say that I personally really did not like the Asgard. I felt it just sucked out the life of the HD650, in the kind of way you keep turning it up to get it more real sounding. Not that it wasn't loud. It just sounded warm and muddy to me... Not in love with it! As Schiit says, it wasn't designed for 300 ohm phones, though it has the power to run them loud.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by imackler View Post

 

I would also like to quote from Schiit's website: "Asgard is a fully discrete, Class A, single-ended FET headphone amplifier with no overall feedback and a noninverting circuit topology. Its high-current design makes it uniquely suitable for low-impedance headphones. It is priced at $249, direct from the manufacturer.""http://schiit.com/news/5110-asgard-valhalla-intro/  

 

Also, Jude's comment: "Since the Schiit Asgard is designed to be particularly well suited for low-impedance headphones, I thought I'd break out a few." http://www.flickr.com/photos/the-jude/4710233616/

 

And 6 Moons Review: "The upshot is plain and predictable. The Asgard is happiest with low-impedance headphones from AKG, audio-technica and Grado." http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/schiit/5.html

 

Personally, I don't see the need of your comment "buahahaha.  Sorry, but know what you are talking about before you talk.  I generally try to keep it civil on these forums, but that type of misinformation dissemination=bad" .

 

I hope you do find this response civil. If there has been any "misinformaiton dissemniation," I apologize.

 

The general idea for the Asgard (and the manufacturer's implication) is not that it's designed to be better with low-impedance cans than it is with high-impedance cans but rather that it is better than other <$500 amps at driving the low-impedance cans.  I won't/can't argue with your personal findings, but other Srajan's comments in the 6moons review, the comments you posted don't actually do anything for your argument. 

post #41 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzerdave View Post

The general idea for the Asgard (and the manufacturer's implication) is not that it's designed to be better with low-impedance cans than it is with high-impedance cans but rather that it is better than other <$500 amps at driving the low-impedance cans.  I won't/can't argue with your personal findings, but other Srajan's comments in the 6moons review, the comments you posted don't actually do anything for your argument. 

 

No biggy.I thought the quotes in my previous post pointed toward the Asgard being designed for use w/ low-impedance phones, but maybe I'm wrong. I'm ok with that. I definitely never said that it couldn't/shouldn't be used with 300ohm phones. Lots of people like it with the HD650. I tried it and didn't. 

 

I hope the OP love whichever solid state amp they land on. And I hope any who love the Asgard/HD6** combo keep on loving it! 

 

Personally, I prefer the E9, O2, P4 or the more expensive AHA-120 to the Asgard. 

post #42 of 51
I have the micro amp by headroom will drive almost anything built like a tank
About $320 look in too it
post #43 of 51
Then you can look at a lot of other people who ACTUALLY own the Asgard and reviews in Headfonia and see that the Asgard has no problems powering 300 ohm headphones.  Headfonia in their Schitt shoot out actually preferred the Asgard over the other two.  They all have different color, and each model will suit different ears.  But to say they can't power the headphones is ridonKulous.  And the Lyr has a obvious advantage with higher ohm cans.
The problem I had with your post was that you said it isn't good at powering 300 ohm headphones.  That power is not just volume that it is also the sound quality.  You are dead wrong on both accounts.  There is a difference between power and color.  Amps do have both!   And just because an amp is good at powering low ohm rated cans, doesn't mean they suck at higher ones.  Schitt themselves rated the Asgard for headphones rated between 8-600ohm resistance.
I don't care if you don't like it.  I would never expect something so subjective to be a unanimous success.  And you cutting and pasting excerpts just means you are being defensive and taking things out of context.  I don't feel like engaging you in that.  You made absolute statements with no basis of fact.  Please get your facts right before you speak on a subject.

Edited by Eargasmo - 10/2/12 at 7:44pm
post #44 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eargasmo View Post

Then you can look at a lot of other people who ACTUALLY own the Asgard and reviews in Headfonia and see that the Asgard has no problems powering 300 ohm headphones.  Headfonia in their Schitt shoot out actually preferred the Asgard over the other two.  They all have different color, and each model will suit different ears.  But to say they can't power the headphones is ridonKulous.  And the Lyr has a obvious advantage with higher ohm cans.

 

The problem I had with your post was that you said it isn't good at powering 300 ohm headphones.  That power is not just volume that it is also the sound quality.  You are dead wrong on both accounts.  There is a difference between power and color.  Amps do have both!   And just because an amp is good at powering low ohm rated cans, doesn't mean they suck at higher ones.  Schitt themselves rated the Asgard for headphones rated between 8-600ohm resistance.

 

I don't care if you don't like it.  I would never expect something so subjective to be a unanimous success.  And you cutting and pasting excerpts just means you are being defensive and taking things out of context.  I don't feel like engaging you in that.  You made absolute statements with no basis of fact.  Please get your facts right before you speak on a subject.

 

I honestly don't know what is the most mature thing to do here.

 

I have owned the Asgard. Twice. I've read the reviews in Headfonia multiple times. And I never said the headphones can't power the HD600/650. In fact, I said the opposite. Twice now. I also never said it isn't good at powering 300 ohm headphones. I said it "felt it just sucked out the life of the HD650" which is my perception. 

 

I'm 100% ok if you don't like my take on the Asgard. I am struggling with your aggressive tone and attempting to shame me publicly. If I'm being defensive, it is not regarding your opinions of the Asgard: "It is the comment: "buahahaha.  Sorry, but know what you are talking about before you talk.  I generally try to keep it civil on these forums, but that type of misinformation dissemination=bad" Even if I were completely wrong about the Asgard being engineered with low-impedance phones in mind, I think these forums should be a place of respect. I want to be willing to be corrected if I'm wrong.

post #45 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler View Post

 

I honestly don't know what is the most mature thing to do here.

 

I have owned the Asgard. Twice. I've read the reviews in Headfonia multiple times. And I never said the headphones can't power the HD600/650. In fact, I said the opposite. Twice now. I also never said it isn't good at powering 300 ohm headphones. I said it "felt it just sucked out the life of the HD650" which is my perception. 

 

I'm 100% ok if you don't like my take on the Asgard. I am struggling with your aggressive tone and attempting to shame me publicly. If I'm being defensive, it is not regarding your opinions of the Asgard: "It is the comment: "buahahaha.  Sorry, but know what you are talking about before you talk.  I generally try to keep it civil on these forums, but that type of misinformation dissemination=bad" Even if I were completely wrong about the Asgard being engineered with low-impedance phones in mind, I think these forums should be a place of respect. I want to be willing to be corrected if I'm wrong.

I apologize for the cynical tone.   But I would like to see where Schiit says they didn't design the Asgard for 300ohm headphones.  I can't imagine a manufacturer ever pigenion-holing their gear like that.   Especially considering they rate them for 8-600ohms.  Everything I read from Schiit regarding the Asgard is that it is desgined to work for low, mid, and high imp cans.  There is no buzzing or audible noise with low ohm cans, and there is plenty of volume on the higher ohm cans. 

 

The fact that you find them muddy is fine...that is your subjective take.  I respect that.  Considering you prefer the O2, it makes sense you don't like the warmer signature of the Asgard.  These two amps, although in the similar price range, have a VERY audifble difference in color.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Best Solid State (SS) desktop amp under $350