Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › New XM6 Need Advice
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New XM6 Need Advice

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

My new XM6 just arrived and it sounds awesome both through USB from my macbook and from my ipod headphone out.  I have a few questions however:

 

1. What is a good Dock to Line Out adapter to use for my ipod to get even better sound and does using line out make it sound that much better? The included 1/8-1/8 cable the amp came with is a bit too big stiff and wanky for using out and about in the real world and I would prefer something with the slimest profile dock and L shaped 1/8" connectors possible and a very flexible and short (1" ?) but still good quality cable.

 

2. If I use the line out of the ipod does that mean I cannot control the volume at all through the ipod volume control itself? Not a problem, just need to know.

 

3. Through the macbook USB it does not let me adjust the volume relatively through the mac volume control on my keyboard, only directly through the XM6 volume knob.  Is this expected?  This kinda sucks since often I need to change the volume of music quick when someone enters the room.  The mute doesn't work either which seems really strange but pause of course still works. I have other USB based speakers which do adjust volume with the normal mac volume control on the keyboard or in the system tray.

 

 

It is really too bad the unit doesn't charge from the USB port when plugged in.  Hate having extra adapters around especially on the road in the event of a longer trip where I will need to recharge it.

post #2 of 8
Thread Starter 

One other issue I noticed is it does not pass through the microphone signal making it useless with my ipod touch for things like Skype.  Is there a quality headphone amplifier on the market that supports microphone passthrough?

post #3 of 8

The lineout dock cable connect with dock connector and offers much better soundquality than HP jack because it offers lot more cleaner sound and quality of dock cables make difference and i will recommend the 18AWG or 22AWG pure copper cable like ALO, iBasso or Fiio.

post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 

Thanks, the Fiio L9 looks great and is the right price

post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyd View Post

Thanks, the Fiio L9 looks great and is the right price

 

ALO sells their cable at that price for a reason..evil_smiley.gif

post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyd View Post

3. Through the macbook USB it does not let me adjust the volume relatively through the mac volume control on my keyboard, only directly through the XM6 volume knob.  Is this expected?  This kinda sucks since often I need to change the volume of music quick when someone enters the room.  The mute doesn't work either which seems really strange but pause of course still works. I have other USB based speakers which do adjust volume with the normal mac volume control on the keyboard or in the system tray.

 

 

It is really too bad the unit doesn't charge from the USB port when plugged in.  Hate having extra adapters around especially on the road in the event of a longer trip where I will need to recharge it.

 

 

Volume control differs depending how the drivers are implemented. I've had some dacs that always had a fixed output, while others let me use software volume control. 

 

You can't charge from a usb port since usb only provides 5V, while the XM6 is much higher than that (I think 9.6V or something like that)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyd View Post

One other issue I noticed is it does not pass through the microphone signal making it useless with my ipod touch for things like Skype.  Is there a quality headphone amplifier on the market that supports microphone passthrough?

 

None that come to mind in the "audiophile" sense. There are some gaming usb sound cards that might work, and some proaudio gear might be configurable to work that way, but none of these work as portable amplifiers. 


Edited by Armaegis - 8/30/12 at 11:22am
post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 

'You can't charge from a usb port since usb only provides 5V, while the XM6 is much higher than that (I think 9.6V or something like that)'

 

Isn't that what a buck boost converter is for? 

post #8 of 8

I'm sure there's a technical reason for why they don't, but I couldn't tell you. Considering that other amp makers like iBasso who make high voltage swing portable amps, and they don't offer usb charging either, there must be a good reason.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › New XM6 Need Advice