Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › [REVIEW] Audioengine D1 DAC: A Feature Packed Entry DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] Audioengine D1 DAC: A Feature Packed Entry DAC - Page 2

post #16 of 62

Hi!

 

I'm looking at this for use with my computer (USB) and xbox 360 (toslink). There doesn't seem to be an input switch on it though. Being powered through USB, would I have to select a different audio output on my computer when using it with the xbox?

post #17 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by henr1k View Post

Hi!

I'm looking at this for use with my computer (USB) and xbox 360 (toslink). There doesn't seem to be an input switch on it though. Being powered through USB, would I have to select a different audio output on my computer when using it with the xbox?
Once the D1 detecs a toslink cable, it will automatically use that as the audio input. Once you disconnect the toslink cable it'll go back to USB input.
post #18 of 62
When I turn it on, I get like audible click on the device, and if headphones are connected, also a click on my left channel, those this happens with anyone else?
post #19 of 62
Yeah, everytime it turns on it does a "click" sound.
post #20 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarCCX View Post

Yeah, everytime it turns on it does a "click" sound.

Thanks, was wondering about that, do you get the click in your headphones if you turn it on while the headphones are connected? BTW, nice to see another Latin-American around here

post #21 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leveler View Post

Thanks, was wondering about that, do you get the click in your headphones if you turn it on while the headphones are connected? BTW, nice to see another Latin-American around here
I do notice that but only on sensitive IEMs, on my Fostex T50RP it's not noticeable at all.
post #22 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarCCX View Post

I do notice that but only on sensitive IEMs, on my Fostex T50RP it's not noticeable at all.

The headphones I'm using have a fairly low impedance, so that might be it... I have some 600 ohm DT880s coming in the mail, let's see if I get the "click" 

post #23 of 62
I sold my D1 yesterday, gonna get an Audinst HUD-Mini just to try something different haha.
post #24 of 62

I've had the Audioengine D1 for about 8 months and have really enjoyed it.  Primarily I listen with Sennheiser 598s but I also own a Grado S80i and an AudioTechnica M50.  I am considering an upgrade to a "better DAC."  I'm also considering purchasing an AKG K702.  What would be your recommendation as to a better DAC - I'm not interested in a "lateral" move - I'd like to make a quality leap to get something that is markedly better than my D1.  Also, what amp would you recommend to pair with the DAC and the K702s.  The D1 drives the HD598s well but I read that the K702s require more power to drive effectively.  I use a Fiio E11 for portable use and it works well paired with the M50s and my IPod Classic (with Apple Lossless).  While price is always a factor, I'd rather save up and get a quality desktop DAC and AMP.  FYI, most of my listening is done on my computer.  Any advice or comments would be much appreciated.

post #25 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwgambrell View Post

I've had the Audioengine D1 for about 8 months and have really enjoyed it.  Primarily I listen with Sennheiser 598s but I also own a Grado S80i and an AudioTechnica M50.  I am considering an upgrade to a "better DAC."  I'm also considering purchasing an AKG K702.  What would be your recommendation as to a better DAC - I'm not interested in a "lateral" move - I'd like to make a quality leap to get something that is markedly better than my D1.  Also, what amp would you recommend to pair with the DAC and the K702s.  The D1 drives the HD598s well but I read that the K702s require more power to drive effectively.  I use a Fiio E11 for portable use and it works well paired with the M50s and my IPod Classic (with Apple Lossless).  While price is always a factor, I'd rather save up and get a quality desktop DAC and AMP.  FYI, most of my listening is done on my computer.  Any advice or comments would be much appreciated.

well, I would first upgrade the amp... I think unless you spend a little less than $1000 the difference won't be as noticeable, from what I've red, But what in my opinion looks like a good upgrade is the Yulong D100, at around $400

post #26 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarCCX View Post

Once the D1 detecs a toslink cable, it will automatically use that as the audio input. Once you disconnect the toslink cable it'll go back to USB input.

 

Thanks for your help! I went ahead and ordered one.

post #27 of 62

Thanks Leveler. Any thoughts on tube amp versus solid state?

post #28 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwgambrell View Post

Thanks Leveler. Any thoughts on tube amp versus solid state?

yeah I would also like to read on that, from most reviews I've seen, tubes tend to be warmer, and it seems that generally prefered 

post #29 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leveler View Post

Yeah I would also like that, You are the one asking in the Magni/Modi forums if to get a Modi or D1 right? Since you say you don't need an amp I say just go with the Modi.... Has near identical specs, cost less, and well, the extra cost for the D1 is probably for the amp, that you don't need anyways...

 



Thanks Leveler. I went ahead and ordered the Modi. After reading the reviews that have been posted so far, sounds like it offers by far the best bang for the buck. Had considered the Bifrost, but for my system (A5+ speakers running MOG and occasional Pandora) would probably be overkill.

post #30 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallax982 View Post

 



Thanks Leveler. I went ahead and ordered the Modi. After reading the reviews that have been posted so far, sounds like it offers by far the best bang for the buck. Had considered the Bifrost, but for my system (A5+ speakers running MOG and occasional Pandora) would probably be overkill.

Enjoy! It sure looks like a fine piece of equipment.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › [REVIEW] Audioengine D1 DAC: A Feature Packed Entry DAC