Okay I hate to ask such a vague question but I am really overwhelmed by the number of products on the market. Here is what I am looking for. I fly an ultralight aircraft and i really like being able to listen to music when I fly. I wear ear muffs (part of the helmet) to muffle out the noise of the engine screaming right on my back. I find that universal ear buds will always fall out when I put the ear muffs on. It is a huge pain because its not easy to fiddle with ear buds when I am in the air. I have tried some other options and I am thinking that IEM's are really the best choice, and I want them for various other activities as well. Biggest factor here is I am on a budget. I really want to keep it under $200 but I may go up to $300 if it is worth it I know i am limiting myself a lot there. The most important factor I need out of them is the isolation, they need to be able to block out the engine noise. I dont need the latest and greatest drivers. I have $30 pair of sony earbuds and I think they sound pretty good so anything that sounds better than that will make me happy. I looked into the kozees but I dont like the idea of having to wait 2 months for them to come as my flying season will be just about over. Of course I need them to fit well and be comfortable and secure so they will not fall out and get eaten by the prop. I have never owned custom IEM's before so any other considerations or help is much appreciated. Thanks!
Related Forum Threads
- InEar phones with Mic+iPod controls for iPhone 4 Last post on 8/1/12 at 1:39pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help choosing out of these 8 IEMs (First time here :P ) Last post on 7/25/12 at 6:45pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need new IEM advice Last post on 6/19/12 at 9:03am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Shure SE215 or Etymotic HF3? Opinions Please Last post on 1/8/12 at 8:43pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help in choosing the right earphones Last post on 9/9/10 at 1:05pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 12/1/14
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 5/7/10
Just to be clear - this is a small portable speaker. So when I talk about bass, sound clarity and what not - keep that in mind. You can't compare it desktop speakers - No wait, you...
Sound Signature. If I were to describe this cans, the V shape would be fitting, but it is just a moderate V shape, nothing overly pronounced but not flat by any means. Bass. This is where the...
After spending some time auditioning and researching I've finally found that illusive nirvana, the perfect mix of price, design and sound for me. I wanted a DAC minus the frills. As a HD800...
I have felt compelled to attempt my first review after recently building Bottleheads premium diy headphone amplifier offering the Bottlehead Mainline. I have built a few of their kits now and...
First of all I would like to thank FiiO for choosing me as part of the world tour of the new X3 DAP. I am pretty new in reviewing audio devices, and I feel really grateful for including...
help me find the right iem for me
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 28/20/12 at 2:46pm
The $80 option:
Awesome isolation, well built, sound pretty darn good for an $80 IEM
Drawbacks: Fit can take some getting used to because they sit very deep inside the ear canal, need a cord clip to avoid microphonics
Good isolation, decent sound, look and feel fantastic\
Drawbacks: Bass boost may not be for everyone, changing tips is tricky and may require you to freeze/cool your IEMs before swapping tips
Awesome isolation, well built, sound good
Drawbacks: May need to get some Comply foam tips to make them fit properly/comfortably
$300 or less option
Awesome sound, good isolation, known for being neutral sounding
Drawbacks: Can sound a tad loud at times as well as a tad bright, costReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- help me find the right iem for me
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › ASTRO MIXAMP PRO 2011 version 35 seconds ago
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 1 minute ago
- › Grado e Series 1 minute ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 1 minute ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 1 minute ago
- › OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › VSonic VSD5 Impressions/Appreciation Thread. VSonic's answer to... 2 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Digital Audio out of a Samsung Galaxy S5 Sport? 3 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 3 minutes ago
- › Sony SRSX3 Portable NFC Bluetooth Wireless Speaker (Black) with... by xlordvader
- › Creative Aurvana Live! Headphones by MCouary
- › Arcam irDAC Audiophile Grade Digital to Analog Converter by cub3
- › Bottlehead Mainline by JamieMcC
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by viperxp
- › MEElectronics Air-Fi® Matrix2 AF62 Stereo Bluetooth®... by YoYo JoKeR
- › Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear Headphone Amplifier by mark2410
- › Topping VX1 2x25W Hi-Fi Power Stereo Subwoofer Amplifier... by YoYo JoKeR
- › Aurisonics ASG-2.5 Generic Fit Digital-Hybrid In-Ear Monitors in... by Hawaiibadboy
- › Graham Slee Majestic DAC by mark2410
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2