Okay I hate to ask such a vague question but I am really overwhelmed by the number of products on the market. Here is what I am looking for. I fly an ultralight aircraft and i really like being able to listen to music when I fly. I wear ear muffs (part of the helmet) to muffle out the noise of the engine screaming right on my back. I find that universal ear buds will always fall out when I put the ear muffs on. It is a huge pain because its not easy to fiddle with ear buds when I am in the air. I have tried some other options and I am thinking that IEM's are really the best choice, and I want them for various other activities as well. Biggest factor here is I am on a budget. I really want to keep it under $200 but I may go up to $300 if it is worth it I know i am limiting myself a lot there. The most important factor I need out of them is the isolation, they need to be able to block out the engine noise. I dont need the latest and greatest drivers. I have $30 pair of sony earbuds and I think they sound pretty good so anything that sounds better than that will make me happy. I looked into the kozees but I dont like the idea of having to wait 2 months for them to come as my flying season will be just about over. Of course I need them to fit well and be comfortable and secure so they will not fall out and get eaten by the prop. I have never owned custom IEM's before so any other considerations or help is much appreciated. Thanks!
Related Forum Threads
- InEar phones with Mic+iPod controls for iPhone 4 Last post on 8/1/12 at 1:39pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help choosing out of these 8 IEMs (First time here :P ) Last post on 7/25/12 at 6:45pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need new IEM advice Last post on 6/19/12 at 9:03am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Shure SE215 or Etymotic HF3? Opinions Please Last post on 1/8/12 at 8:43pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need help in choosing the right earphones Last post on 9/9/10 at 1:05pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/30/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
- Top Tier Universal Iem Comparison Chart And InformationLast edited: 6/22/16
This is my second attempt at using a portable amp (I returned my Fiio E12A for this). That was a good decision. The Cayin C5 is an absolute powerhouse. It can power IEM's and earbuds...
Introduction/Disclaimer I was given this sample in exchange for my honest opinion and impressions. I would especially like to thank Kathryn for getting in touch for purpose of this review. I...
I've become a big fan of wireless headphones over the years with aptx codec, bluetooth 4.0 technology, and li-ion batteries becoming the standard. This allows more of the battery to be dedicated to...
Introduction Why am I here? Am I seeking an endgame all-in-one audio device? Am I seeking an amplifier for every conceivable, non-electrostatic headphone? Am I seeking a sound that will draw me...
Great quality to be expected of a Fiio product, the cable works as intended and feels nice in the hand. There`s no strain relief on the 30pin connector, perhaps it`s to increase pliability?...
help me find the right iem for me
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 28/20/12 at 2:46pm
The $80 option:
Awesome isolation, well built, sound pretty darn good for an $80 IEM
Drawbacks: Fit can take some getting used to because they sit very deep inside the ear canal, need a cord clip to avoid microphonics
Good isolation, decent sound, look and feel fantastic\
Drawbacks: Bass boost may not be for everyone, changing tips is tricky and may require you to freeze/cool your IEMs before swapping tips
Awesome isolation, well built, sound good
Drawbacks: May need to get some Comply foam tips to make them fit properly/comfortably
$300 or less option
Awesome sound, good isolation, known for being neutral sounding
Drawbacks: Can sound a tad loud at times as well as a tad bright, costReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- help me find the right iem for me
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › [WTS] Audeze LCD-X 3 seconds ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 6 seconds ago
- › Final SONOROUS III 39 seconds ago
- › A little about the Shozy Alien 1 minute ago
- › iBasso DX80 Bug Thread - Post Any Firmware Bugs/Issues Here 1 minute ago
- › New Burson Conductor - V2 and V2+ 3 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 3 minutes ago
- › TOTALDAC DAC 3 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 4 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG +... 4 minutes ago
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Tayyab Pirzada
- › Edifier S1000DB Audiophile Active Bookshelf Speakers - Bluetooth... by dnun8086
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones by Llloyd
- › Simaudio 230HAD by sheldaze
- › FiiO L9 L-Shaped Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone by ryanjsoo
- › Espressivo-E by Feliks Audio by thatonenoob
- › B&O Beoplay H6 (2nd generation) by istirsin
- › ONKYO A800 50mm Open Back Headphone by Sonic Defender
- › Sony PHA-3 Headphone Amp by Whitigir
- › Brainwavz Jive by Feilong4
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...