I was thinking of purchasing the hd-500 as an upgrade from my grado sr-225's, I currently use a Schiit Asgard amp, and was wondering if it puts out enough power for the he-500;s and if anyone has paired these 2 together? Any impressions? Also what other headphones pair well with the Schiit amp.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Amp/DAC Recommendation for: HE-500, HD 650, and Beyer DT 880 600Ohm Last post on 12/4/12 at 1:38pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- AMP/DAC for LCD-2 Last post on 3/12/13 at 2:41pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Cost efficient but not underpowered amp for HE-500 Last post on 12/31/12 at 9:13pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze LCD 2 or Hifiman HE-500 Last post on 12/8/12 at 2:05pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphone + AMP and DAC for Metal and Electronic Last post on 12/1/12 at 7:10am in Headphones (full-size)
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio)
Edited on 5/14/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Edited on 12/28/12
Introduction I’m a basshead. I say that loudly and proudly, even though some folks believe basshead and audiophile are mutually exclusive. Obviously, I’m not in that camp. But sometimes, I...
I read reviews on this and I said let me try this out, for $10 I couldn't lose. This surpassed all of expectations for a $10 IEM. I am going to purchase a set for my wife, she was also blown...
Fanmusic is a distributor and a brand of Chinese audio-equipment which also has an eBay store. I was contacted by Tony, their manager a while ago and he informed me that they were working...
Very nice amp for mid-fiers to entry high-fiers. The sound quality and specs are very good for the price. Works very well with Jazz and Classical music in particular (not that rock and...
My pair was a supposed demo model from one of Hifiman's retailers. They came in mint condition, which is lucky for me. I'm not using a balanced cable yet, but I already feel it's a good upgrade...
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)
Anyone have experience with the Schiit Asgard and the he-500?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I have that pair (as well as Lyr & Bifrost). I've tested my HE-500 out of a lot of setups. It does need power. The Asgard outputs about 1 watt to the HE-500's 38ohms. So it just meets it's bare minimum requirement of 1 watt. It actually sounds pretty good too. I find the Lyr outputs more warmth and the HE-500 seems to come alive more and has better sub-bass presence with the Lyr compared to the Asgard. But the Asgard can run the HE-500 enough to enjoy it until you can get something with more omph. I've found that basically you need about 2 watts for the HE-500 to spread it's wings. After that it seems to stop changing from just power alone, at least in my experience. It definitely doesn't need 6 watts for example, but it just seems to need a touch more than 1 watt. A good option for you could be to potentially change the Asgard up for a NFB 12.1 for something that does 2+ watts into 38ohms for an HE-500. Sound wise, I find the Asgard to be pretty clean, but maybe a touch bright (compared to the Lyr which just seems more warm). It's a good match for the HE-500 because it's pretty neutral/warm, not really bright like it's big cousin. I find most headphones match well with Schiit amps in general, they're pretty nice and are not overly bright nor warm. I've run everything in my inventory from the Asgard without issue. It's a solid performance amp.
Agreed--the Asgard does the job. So far I have been very pleased with it pushing a variety of cans, including the HE-500. It doesn't deliver the same sound signature as a tube or hybrid amp, but that is to be expected.
- Anyone have experience with the Schiit Asgard and the he-500?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The diary entries of a little girl who is now 30! ~ Part 2 30 seconds ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 55 seconds ago
- › Koss ESP/950: At wits end 1 minute ago
- › Review & Appreciation: Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference - A new level... 1 minute ago
- › Why would anyone want just one headphone? 1 minute ago
- › W/Rap Sucks 2.0..............................Rap/HipHop... 2 minutes ago
- › Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › Xbox ONE 3 minutes ago
- › TDK BA200 - Impressions and Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Ultrasone Edition 8 4 minutes ago
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by TheGame21x
- › Monoprice 8320 IEM by Taharqa
- › Fanmusic MS-E1011 by ItsMeHere
- › Audio-gd NFB-5 by citadel
- › HE-5LE by JamesHuntington
- › Kozee Sound Solutions Infinity X2 by Insight Reviews
- › JVC HA M750 by tinamou62
- › Aurisonics ASG-2 by eke2k6
- › Sennheiser HD-558 by Tr1ckster
- › Go-Dap DD Socket1 (DD/DA Converter) for iPhone & iPod... by AnakChan
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe