Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM Impressions Thread - Page 115

post #1711 of 5631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post

Yes iPhone 5 and they sound great. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunshane View Post

The 5 will be fine with them.  I was using that combo earlier today.

OK. Nice ! Thanks for quick reply.
post #1712 of 5631
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

Thx Tom for sharing your impartial impressions. I'm sure it's greatly anticipated. What kind of setup did you have? i.e. what DAP, or transport/source/amp rig did you use?

Cheers.

Just realised you have Merlin as well. Mind if I ask your opinion on a comparison to the 1plus2s?
post #1713 of 5631
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post  What kind of setup did you have? i.e. what DAP, or transport/source/amp rig did you use?

 

I was mainly testing it with my iBasso D7 (Foobar/WASAPI, no resampling); it has low output Z but the OPA1611 makes the analog stage sound pretty laid-back. I also tested the tracks with the D7 outputting to the T1, but I didn't test it that way for long, as I though it was just too loud that way, even though I was already testing at volumes that I consider to be too loud.

post #1714 of 5631
What material does the 1plus2 utilise?
post #1715 of 5631
Quote:
Originally Posted by cravenz View Post


Just realised you have Merlin as well. Mind if I ask your opinion on a comparison to the 1plus2s?

 

Had. I sold it last month. Actually believe it or not, I actually don't have any functional IEMs at the moment! All my UMs are sold, my FitEar's also sold, my 1Plus2 is in need of repair. Think it's a loose BA or the DD got dislodged. Initially it was lead to believe it was a loose wire, but when I shake the IEM, I can hear something moving inside and it ain't a wire.

 

I'm going to have to commit to memory which means you'll have to take it with a large grain of salt. I had my Merlins since last March and sold it last month whereas the 1Plus2 is 6 weeks old. As per my review of the 1Plus2, it has most of the technical points one looks for in a sound signature - wide soundstage, decently deep imaging, detailed, deep punchy bass, airy trebles, etc. (however later on in my review I state that in the end all that didn't gel together to an enjoyable musical piece but that's a different matter). The Merlins had a smaller soundstage, not much imaging, and less detail. Funnily the Merlins were meant to be bass IEMs but it insufficient for what I wanted.

 

Having said that, I personally think that IEMs are going through a new phase. The big names such as the Miracles, or UERM, JH13/16s, etc. seem to be the crème de la crème yesteryear and there's a new batch in that's a jump "up" in improvements. These would be the Tralucent, Rhapsodio, Aurisonics, Frogbeats, etc. That's my personal take anyway, and as such I'd personally compare/contrast the newer models to be fair.

post #1716 of 5631
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

 

Had. I sold it last month. Actually believe it or not, I actually don't have any functional IEMs at the moment! All my UMs are sold, my FitEar's also sold, my 1Plus2 is in need of repair. Think it's a loose BA or the DD got dislodged. Initially it was lead to believe it was a loose wire, but when I shake the IEM, I can hear something moving inside and it ain't a wire.

 

I'm going to have to commit to memory which means you'll have to take it with a large grain of salt. I had my Merlins since last March and sold it last month whereas the 1Plus2 is 6 weeks old. As per my review of the 1Plus2, it has most of the technical points one looks for in a sound signature - wide soundstage, decently deep imaging, detailed, deep punchy bass, airy trebles, etc. (however later on in my review I state that in the end all that didn't gel together to an enjoyable musical piece but that's a different matter). The Merlins had a smaller soundstage, not much imaging, and less detail. Funnily the Merlins were meant to be bass IEMs but it insufficient for what I wanted.

 

Having said that, I personally think that IEMs are going through a new phase. The big names such as the Miracles, or UERM, JH13/16s, etc. seem to be the crème de la crème yesteryear and there's a new batch in that's a jump "up" in improvements. These would be the Tralucent, Rhapsodio, Aurisonics, Frogbeats, etc. That's my personal take anyway, and as such I'd personally compare/contrast the newer models to be fair.

 

Thanks. Interesting that you didn't think the Merlins had sufficient bass for you! 

 

But yes, I seem to be getting a feeling that there is a new crop coming in to complete with the customs of yesteryear. Will keep what you have said in mind! 

post #1717 of 5631
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

Had. I sold it last month. Actually believe it or not, I actually don't have any functional IEMs at the moment! All my UMs are sold, my FitEar's also sold, my 1Plus2 is in need of repair. Think it's a loose BA or the DD got dislodged. Initially it was lead to believe it was a loose wire, but when I shake the IEM, I can hear something moving inside and it ain't a wire.

I'm going to have to commit to memory which means you'll have to take it with a large grain of salt. I had my Merlins since last March and sold it last month whereas the 1Plus2 is 6 weeks old. As per my review of the 1Plus2, it has most of the technical points one looks for in a sound signature - wide soundstage, decently deep imaging, detailed, deep punchy bass, airy trebles, etc. (however later on in my review I state that in the end all that didn't gel together to an enjoyable musical piece but that's a different matter). The Merlins had a smaller soundstage, not much imaging, and less detail. Funnily the Merlins were meant to be bass IEMs but it insufficient for what I wanted.

Having said that, I personally think that IEMs are going through a new phase. The big names such as the Miracles, or UERM, JH13/16s, etc. seem to be the crème de la crème yesteryear and there's a new batch in that's a jump "up" in improvements. These would be the Tralucent, Rhapsodio, Aurisonics, Frogbeats, etc. That's my personal take anyway, and as such I'd personally compare/contrast the newer models to be fair.

FitEar too!
post #1718 of 5631
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisceriousZERO View Post


FitEar too!

 

I have to say, they are absolutely fantastic. Based on the brief audition I had with the 333s. Not totally the sound sig I'm looking for, but they were far better than the JH10x3 that I auditioned for example, and the other customs I had a look at; in terms of SQ. 

post #1719 of 5631
Quote:
Originally Posted by cravenz View Post

 

I have to say, they are absolutely fantastic. Based on the brief audition I had with the 333s. Not totally the sound sig I'm looking for, but they were far better than the JH10x3 that I auditioned for example, and the other customs I had a look at; in terms of SQ. 

I really suggest the 335s, they're something else.

post #1720 of 5631
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisceriousZERO View Post

I really suggest the 335s, they're something else.

 

Way outside my budget unfortunately. 

 

The 333s where I am already cost 2,400 SGD i.e. approximately 1,900 USD. 

 

I've been quoted over 3,500 SGD i.e. approximately 2,800 USD. 

 

The 335 retails for less than 2,400 SGD in Japan itself. 

 

See the inherent dilemma and issue I'm facing? So far, only UM and Heir retail for their original retail price in their respective country of origins. Everything else that goes through Jaben is highly inflated. 

post #1721 of 5631
Quote:
Originally Posted by cravenz View Post

 

Way outside my budget unfortunately. 

 

The 333s where I am already cost 2,400 SGD i.e. approximately 1,900 USD. 

 

I've been quoted over 3,500 SGD i.e. approximately 2,800 USD. 

 

The 335 retails for less than 2,400 SGD in Japan itself. 

 

See the inherent dilemma and issue I'm facing? So far, only UM and Heir retail for their original retail price in their respective country of origins. Everything else that goes through Jaben is highly inflated. 

 

Yeesh, that sucks hahahaha...

post #1722 of 5631
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisceriousZERO View Post

 

Yeesh, that sucks hahahaha...

 

Stop laughing :P

 

Hence my issues with looking at earphones. And why I am considering going high end universals because I can get them from the country of their make and bypass the other hoops. 

 

Alternatively, I think the only two options, customs wise, that I'm looking at are the Heir 8.As and the UM Merlins.

 

So far, my toss up is between the 8.As, Merlins, 1plus2s and the 334s. 

 

Problem is, I haven't heard any of them. 

post #1723 of 5631
Quote:
Originally Posted by cravenz View Post

 

Stop laughing :P

 

Hence my issues with looking at earphones. And why I am considering going high end universals because I can get them from the country of their make and bypass the other hoops. 

 

Alternatively, I think the only two options, customs wise, that I'm looking at are the Heir 8.As and the UM Merlins.

 

So far, my toss up is between the 8.As, Merlins, 1plus2s and the 334s. 

 

Problem is, I haven't heard any of them. 

 

I've heard the 1plus2s and the 334s. In my initial I said the 1plus2s beat the 334s but in reality, now I realize, they're both different sigs.

 

 

I've been using the Tralucent 1plus2 for a while now and really really like it. Then a few weeks ago the MH335DW came into my life and changed many things. I've had the good fortune of discussing a few details of the Tralucent sound versus the FitEar sound with AnakChan in my last day in Tokyo, and with Soullinker20 here in my "batcave" and this is what I think:

 

The Tralucent 1plus2, which I really like, has this very upfront signature that gives an amazing first impression. All the instruments just pop at you and blend together so well its hard to find anything wrong with it. The first time you pop that sucker in your ear-hole it just kills that first listen. Every single instrument is coming at you and the Tralucent is simply amazing at that. I love it for metal and rock music, as the instruments (especially drums) are all imaged well and beautifully.


The thing is, after a while, I tend to notice some harshness on the treble on other tracks I've been listening to. The sibilance is not that problematic but it gets annoying after some time, especially if you really like the song but have to suffer through several "hissy parts". Because everything is also thrown at you from start to finish you fail to notice finer details in the recording and sometimes even feel this sense that you've heard everything there is to hear in a track. I guess you can call the 1plus2 "analytical" in the sense that you hear everything and really get a feel for the track, especially with the bass just pumping at you. Unfortunately, sometimes, the song becomes boring for me, because you've heard everything already there is to it.

 

With the FitEars... well just read my review of the 335s. All I can say here is that FitEar makes you rediscover your music.

post #1724 of 5631
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisceriousZERO View Post

 

I've heard the 1plus2s and the 334s. In my initial I said the 1plus2s beat the 334s but in reality, now I realize, they're both different sigs.

 

 

I've been using the Tralucent 1plus2 for a while now and really really like it. Then a few weeks ago the MH335DW came into my life and changed many things. I've had the good fortune of discussing a few details of the Tralucent sound versus the FitEar sound with AnakChan in my last day in Tokyo, and with Soullinker20 here in my "batcave" and this is what I think:

 

The Tralucent 1plus2, which I really like, has this very upfront signature that gives an amazing first impression. All the instruments just pop at you and blend together so well its hard to find anything wrong with it. The first time you pop that sucker in your ear-hole it just kills that first listen. Every single instrument is coming at you and the Tralucent is simply amazing at that. I love it for metal and rock music, as the instruments (especially drums) are all imaged well and beautifully.


The thing is, after a while, I tend to notice some harshness on the treble on other tracks I've been listening to. The sibilance is not that problematic but it gets annoying after some time, especially if you really like the song but have to suffer through several "hissy parts". Because everything is also thrown at you from start to finish you fail to notice finer details in the recording and sometimes even feel this sense that you've heard everything there is to hear in a track. I guess you can call the 1plus2 "analytical" in the sense that you hear everything and really get a feel for the track, especially with the bass just pumping at you. Unfortunately, sometimes, the song becomes boring for me, because you've heard everything already there is to it.

 

With the FitEars... well just read my review of the 335s. All I can say here is that FitEar makes you rediscover your music.

 

I've read it. My next mission, is to shoot you and take your 335s away with me. I can't find a way around being able to afford the 335s right now. So it really is out of the question though I've read many good things about them, and also, been recommended them by Jaben as well, given the customs I tested, and on what they know I like, sound sig wise. 

 

Thing is, sound signatures cater to all sorts of different people. Some people like a certain sound. Take for example me. I like it warm, not too warm, but I want to feel the bass, the sub-bass, the mid-bass, everything. At the same time, I don't want my treble sitting too far back. The 333s were far too forward, but obviously, the sound itself, just amazed me. I like my IE8s. The JH 10X3s are an upgrade on them, but I wouldn't exactly say it is a significant upgrade in terms of the wow factor. I don't need reference monitors either because I'm no sound engineer nor am I someone who can fully appreciate every single detail. I love music, but I don't want to pursue everything in music to its finest detail and break it all down. That's just not me. Though that said, when I was done testing the customs, without looking at the price tags and asking for the damage on them, I told them what I liked, and they told me I have expensive taste. What can I say? :P

 

I have to admit I am worried about the sibilance issue that you are describing. Not something I want to deal with because I could probably imagine myself getting annoyed at some point. 

 

In terms of my music tastes though, I'm varied. But generally, electronic and beats when I'm moving around (so I don't fall asleep), so bass is somewhat critical in that department, though I don't go for something that just drowns everything else out in the sound spectrum. I love jazz and instrumental stuff when I'm at work or chilling out. But the genre I tend to stay away from is heavy metal. Everything else, I'm game for. But if I do listen to live instruments, I like to be able to feel the drums. 

 

I guess to know a little bit more about me would be to read the review I did on my IE8s ages ago. I'd like to move on to something new now I guess. But I want a significant upgrade if I'm going to upgrade, not a minor one. From the little I've read though, I'm starting to lean towards the 1plus2s or the Heir 8.As. But I won't have the luxury of both. Both of them are stretching my budget thin as well unfortunately. 

post #1725 of 5631
Quote:
Originally Posted by cravenz View Post

My next mission, is to shoot you and take your 335s away with me.

@cravenz,

 

Dude, after you shoot him, you'll have to surgically remove his ears and transfer them to your head since his 335's are customs...blink.gif


Edited by burtomr - 2/17/13 at 9:45am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM Impressions Thread